Finally done with subs
    Gunnerboy is offline New Member

Default Finally done with subs

Hello. Thought I'd make an acct and tell people my story. I've been reading enough of yours so it only seems fair.

I was abusing any and all opiates for about 3 years. Started with a couple scripts of hydro's and then up from there. It ruined me financially and almost ruined my marriage. Luckily my wife stuck with me even through being bankrupt from it. We didn't have children at the time.

I got into a suboxone treatment program at a very reputable college run family health physician practice. It was a pain to drive there once a month but it made me so stable I just stayed on for almost 9 years. Then my doctor moved to another practice back in February. He gave me a heads up it would be his last visit with me but the office should be able to produce a replacement.

I got a letter that month that he would be leaving and they were switching me to a different office. Well the next month I went to my appt and was very unhappy with the doctor and the office, so I made another appt somewhere else. That place was worse.

So I left with a sense of "I'm done". Went home counted out my 45-4mg suboxone films and created a taper plan.

I should mention that those 45 films were half a months worth. In my 9 years on subs I was taking as much as 32mg a day but only briefly. I was stable at 16mg for a while then went to 12mg for a year or two.

My taper was about 10 weeks or less. First dropped to 8mg for a week, then 6,5,4,3,2,1,1.5,1 then .5 for 4 days then jumped.

Today is day 3 off them completely, midnight will be 72 hours. It's been a roller coaster of feelings and emotions. I'm taking the supplement Elimidrol and some mild doses of Imodium. The depression and anxiety were rough these first few days but the comfort meds have really helped. I don't have RLS exactly it's in my chest mainly. When I try to lay down, my chest and arms become so painful. Like a nerve pain, I can't sit still. The Imodium takes it right away. It knocks me right out too which only for a few hours but it's more than I'd get without it. And dips in the hot tub help a ton.

I'm very determined and I'm such a baby about withdrawal usually obviously, I've avoided it 12-13 years! Lol. this time is different. Thanks for reading and keep fighting.

Charlie97353 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerboy View Post
    Hello. Thought I'd make an acct and tell people my story. I've been reading enough of yours so it only seems fair.

I was abusing any and all opiates for about 3 years. Started with a couple scripts of hydro's and then up from there. It ruined me financially and almost ruined my marriage. Luckily my wife stuck with me even through being bankrupt from it. We didn't have children at the time.

I got into a suboxone treatment program at a very reputable college run family health physician practice. It was a pain to drive there once a month but it made me so stable I just stayed on for almost 9 years. Then my doctor moved to another practice back in February. He gave me a heads up it would be his last visit with me but the office should be able to produce a replacement.

I got a letter that month that he would be leaving and they were switching me to a different office. Well the next month I went to my appt and was very unhappy with the doctor and the office, so I made another appt somewhere else. That place was worse.

So I left with a sense of "I'm done". Went home counted out my 45-4mg suboxone films and created a taper plan.

I should mention that those 45 films were half a months worth. In my 9 years on subs I was taking as much as 32mg a day but only briefly. I was stable at 16mg for a while then went to 12mg for a year or two.

My taper was about 10 weeks or less. First dropped to 8mg for a week, then 6,5,4,3,2,1,1.5,1 then .5 for 4 days then jumped.

Today is day 3 off them completely, midnight will be 72 hours. It's been a roller coaster of feelings and emotions. I'm taking the supplement Elimidrol and some mild doses of Imodium. The depression and anxiety were rough these first few days but the comfort meds have really helped. I don't have RLS exactly it's in my chest mainly. When I try to lay down, my chest and arms become so painful. Like a nerve pain, I can't sit still. The Imodium takes it right away. It knocks me right out too which only for a few hours but it's more than I'd get without it. And dips in the hot tub help a ton.

I'm very determined and I'm such a baby about withdrawal usually obviously, I've avoided it 12-13 years! Lol. this time is different. Thanks for reading and keep fighting.
    Good luck man. Day 13 off suboxone here. Opiates user 5 years

Ready2bedone is offline New Member

I'm at day 5! Congrats! Stay strong! For me the worse part is not getting any sleep! Every night I say "tonight my body has to crash" but it don't. I just hope really soon my body gives up and let's me sleep.

Thanks and good luck to both of you. I'm on day5 now and finally back to work. The Imodium helped me sleep so much. I feel quite good today. And I think the Elimidrol did help a ton with depression. I'm going to cease the Imodium today and finish my jug of supplements though.

Thanks for the reply's.

Just an update. Today is day 22. I'm feeling pretty good. I still run into a few spots in the day where I start yawning and run out of energy. I'm a welder and a machinist so when I'm a little foggy at these lulls in the day it's hard to focus on blueprints or problems. These times don't last long. Maybe 30min to an hour.

The restlessness at night has subsided considerably I still jump around a little but it doesn't stop me from getting good sleep. The vivid dreams are quite interesting, like waking up after watching a 6 hour drama in my head. And suboxone always includes itself in my dream. I dream of finding piles of strips around the house I never knew were there. The sneezing is pretty crazy too, all day long sneezing fits every 15 min.

Just wanted to keep everyone posted. The first two weeks were kind of rough, although kind of easier than I expected. This last week has been really good to me. Possibly because I sprained my foot pitching for my softball team. 3 toes on my left foot are purple. After the game I came home, went into the freezer to get an ice pack and it fell out the door landing on my toes on the other foot. So both feet are all bruised. The pain helped me release all kinds of endorphins.

I wake up with energy, can get motivated, get stuff done around the house. It's starting to really look up.

I hope my story helps someone get through this, I thought I was a lifer on subs. Up until this past February I had no intentions of jumping. The reality of it hasn't even set in yet. I don't feel a sense of accomplishment over it yet, I don't know why. I'm just going through it day by day. I'm happy about it though. And so are the people close to me.