Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Onedaycloser
  • 2 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Beefaroni7272
  • 1 Post By OKC-26
Fourth Day Off Percocet 10/325
    Onedaycloser is offline New Member

Default Fourth Day Off Percocet 10/325

This is the worse thing I have ever been through in my life. After bowel surgery in March 2015 I became septic and almost died leaving me with a 8in open wound in my abdomen. 6 months and 4 surgerys later I found myself on the mend only from surgery but very much still depending on pain meds as my intestines still twist on me causing major pain and I refuse to let them cut on me again after the hell I went through. So my gastro doc sends me to the almighty pain clinic, Dummy me is thinking this Doc is going to fix me up and get my pain under control without surgery or pain Medication. Never once was I advised how addicting percocet was just here you go these should stop your pain. Even when I tried to tell this doc a year later, I think I'm addicted to this stuff and it's not helping my pain at all, He says Im on a minimal dose and to take 4 a day not 3 a day giving me 120 percocet 10/325 a month and said I wasn't addicted just dependent. Theres a difference, he says! Well here I am 3 years later addicted to percocet and Hell bent on taking myself off these monsters. If the Doctors won't help me then Ill help myself. So I quit cold turkey Sunday. Flushed what I had left and said Im done. This is my 4th day without any and I feel like Im dying. I hate opiods and never want to see another one as long as I live. Im in it to beat it and then take these pill mill docs off the market. They are killing us. I don't know what else to do to get myself right. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't focus, live in the bathroom and leg craps started killing me last night. This is pure hell. I've absolutely got this, I guess I just need some support from others than my family. Which have been absolutely amazing through this. How can I get through this?
    Catrina, Beefaroni7272 and ForMe30 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Onedaycloser View Post
    This is the worse thing I have ever been through in my life. After bowel surgery in March 2015 I became septic and almost died leaving me with a 8in open wound in my abdomen. 6 months and 4 surgerys later I found myself on the mend only from surgery but very much still depending on pain meds as my intestines still twist on me causing major pain and I refuse to let them cut on me again after the hell I went through. So my gastro doc sends me to the almighty pain clinic, Dummy me is thinking this Doc is going to fix me up and get my pain under control without surgery or pain Medication. Never once was I advised how addicting percocet was just here you go these should stop your pain. Even when I tried to tell this doc a year later, I think I'm addicted to this stuff and it's not helping my pain at all, He says Im on a minimal dose and to take 4 a day not 3 a day giving me 120 percocet 10/325 a month and said I wasn't addicted just dependent. Theres a difference, he says! Well here I am 3 years later addicted to percocet and Hell bent on taking myself off these monsters. If the Doctors won't help me then Ill help myself. So I quit cold turkey Sunday. Flushed what I had left and said Im done. This is my 4th day without any and I feel like Im dying. I hate opiods and never want to see another one as long as I live. Im in it to beat it and then take these pill mill docs off the market. They are killing us. I don't know what else to do to get myself right. I can't eat, can't sleep, can't focus, live in the bathroom and leg craps started killing me last night. This is pure hell. I've absolutely got this, I guess I just need some support from others than my family. Which have been absolutely amazing through this. How can I get through this?
    Welcome to the Forum!

Post as frequently as you can and you'll get plenty of good advice and support. We all know what you're going through because we've all been through it or are going through it now.

Your doctor is right that there's a difference between being addicted and being dependent but detoxing feels exactly the same way. it's a very fine line and in the end, doesn't make much of a difference. If you are not addicted, you shouldn't suffer too much mentally once your detox is completed. This is the one major difference if you had become addicted.

Congratulations on getting through four days of your detox. You are nearly at the end of the worst of the physical symptoms. Tomorrow, your Day 5 should bring some relief. Your bathroom trips are likely to remain frequent for a little bit longer but can be controlled quite nicely with Immodium. Get the liquid kind because it seems to work better and take it just as the label instructs. A dose after an "event" and then you can take another with each subsequent "event". That at least is one symptom that is pretty easy to control.

One of the most frustrating lingering symptoms is going to be trouble sleeping. I'm sorry to say that it will probably take at least a couple of weeks before you can string together enough hours to feel rested. It's gradual. How much sleep, if any, are you getting now? After tomorrow when you become more comfortable you'll probably get a few hours a night but it's also probably going to be broken. Don't fight with your bed. If you can't fall back to sleep, get out of bed and watch some TV or do some reading. Tossing and turning will only make things worse. When you can finally catch a straight four or five hours, you'll know things are beginning to turn around but it's night by night. You might get those five hours and then the next night get hardly anything. Again, expect for that to happen and don't let it frustrate you. It will get better. In the meantime, you can try some Sleepy Time Tea brewed strongly and use it to wash down some Melatonin or Valerian Root. it might induce sleep but even if it doesn't, it should relax you some.

The achy and restless legs will stop abruptly and you're almost in the clear with that now. It's usually only a bother for the first 5 or 6 days of your detox. Take plenty of hot baths and if you have a heating pad or two, use them wrapped around your legs. It does soothe them. This was probably my worst symptom and I thought I'd go out of my mind! There are also some over the counter supplements that might help. There's a few made by Hylands called Restful Legs and another called Calm Legs. A magnesium supplement can also help but your legs should settle down very soon anyway. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids. It's easy to become dehydrated and those symptoms mimic detox symptoms making everything worse so have something close at hand at all times and drink, drink, DRINK! A protein rich diet will help too. If you can't eat, I get it. I made protein shakes using almond milk, ice cubes, berries, a little raw honey, a banana, and protein powder. Throw that all into a blender. It's important to feed your body for it to recover from detoxing.

Have you seen the Thomas Recipe? You can find it on this site or just Google it. It's a list of supplements that you might begin to take right away and continue to take them even after you've completed detoxing. There are things on the list that will help to rebuild your strength and to provide you with a healthy way to get some much needed energy. The lethargy post detox will hang around too for a bit. You'll be left feeling like what many people here call wearing a lead suit. It's important to move around and get some exercise beginning immediately. It will help your symptoms both mentally and physically. Doesn't have to be a marathon. Get outside and walk around the yard even if it's only for ten minutes. Do it as frequently as you can manage.

While I'm sorry that you've found yourself in this spot, you've done great and made the best decision ever. Continuing to take that poison will only get worse with more time. It always, always does. Be your own advocate and haunt your doctor until they can find other things to treat your issues and your pain. Opiates just shouldn't be used long term but there are doctors who continue to prescribe them that way. Very sad.

Finally (for now) when you can't sleep, get your computer out and read some good long threads here. It's like reading a good book that you will relate to and it will pass the overnight hours which can be THE worst. Keep posting. Others will be along to leave you their words of wisdom.

Peace,

Cat

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey onedaycloser. Welcome!!! Cat has given you some excellent advice moving forward. I really don't have much to add to what she has said. Keep your head up and just know that all this is temporary and it will pass. Stay active and positive. Post as much as you need to. It really helps!!

Welcome again and congratulations!!
    Beef
    thefigurehead likes this.

OKC-26 is offline Member

I don’t have much to add either.. cat said everything I could have said plus a ton more.

What I can say is only 31 days ago I was exactly where you are. I know it seems tough and depressing... and it is. But it gets better. I know a couple of weeks seems like a lifetime right now, but it isn’t. I feel like it was just yesterday. In a few short days the time will quit dragging. We’re all here to support you. We all know what you’re going through. It’s very possible to get through this, it won’t be easy, but you CAN do it! Take cats advice she knows what she’s talking about. & like beef said keep posting. Bad or good. I complained a TON. Let it out. Well listen and help any way we can.

We’re cheering for ya oneday!
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

iiiiiiiiii is offline New Member

hi there im Rob .. you can do it... if not call 911 and get an ambulance or someone close to you to watch over you and take you to E. R. i wish you enough . xo Rob in New Mexico