Gabapentin for opiate detox~ questions on how to use.
    Shawnamama is offline Junior Member

Default Gabapentin for opiate detox~ questions on how to use.

I'm going to try to make this short so hopefully people will read this and help.

My Dr. Gave me a prescription for gabapentin for anxiety and sleep. They are 300mg capsules. I sometimes will take one or two at bed time. I'm usually asleep before I could ever have a chance to feel anything from them.

My dad and I are both opiate addicts. I researched g.p and read that it can help with withdrawal. My dad wants to quit so I gave him some gabapentin and told him to try it for sleep. He took one 300 mg in the morning. I talked to him around 10 this evening and he said he felt great.. No anxiety, no w/d symptoms And no cravings? He said it gave him energy but then after work he took a long as nap. How is that possible if it's given for sleep?

Can one 300mg capsule really help that much?

Have you tried it? How did it make you feel? Did it help with cravings? What was your experience like?
    I also want to quit using so I thought I'd give it a shot but it scares me. I don't like benzo's and I don't like alcohol so I am afraid I won't like this either. I also don't want to take a bunch of them at once.
    Thank you!

Anyone? Can anyone help? I've searched the boards and can't find an answer for someone who doesn't want to take 50 million of these things or feel high from them.

eyenstyne is offline New Member

I'm not sure about the milligrams. I have taken the Neurotins in the past which are the generic gabapentins. They are either yellow capsules or white oval tablets. 3 of the yellows or 2 of the whites is what I was taking. I didn't use them this last time I jumped ship, but in the past they helped a great deal. They make you feel a little wobbly if you take too many, enough so you can almost lose your balance and speech also can become slurred or tired sounding. They take a while to hit you, up to an hour and a half sometimes before you feel them. It's the kind of drug where if you are doing something they will keep you moving, but if you stop and rest they will zonk you out. I highly recommend them for detoxing, just don't turn them into the next best thing. I have never taken them for longer than a week with only one dose (2 or 3 at once per day) Drink a lot of water while you take them because the amount of urine that comes out of you is crazy. They will absolutely cause dehydration.

gottidog is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnamama View Post
    I'm going to try to make this short so hopefully people will read this and help.

My Dr. Gave me a prescription for gabapentin for anxiety and sleep. They are 300mg capsules. I sometimes will take one or two at bed time. I'm usually asleep before I could ever have a chance to feel anything from them.

My dad and I are both opiate addicts. I researched g.p and read that it can help with withdrawal. My dad wants to quit so I gave him some gabapentin and told him to try it for sleep. He took one 300 mg in the morning. I talked to him around 10 this evening and he said he felt great.. No anxiety, no w/d symptoms And no cravings? He said it gave him energy but then after work he took a long as nap. How is that possible if it's given for sleep?

Can one 300mg capsule really help that much?

Have you tried it? How did it make you feel? Did it help with cravings? What was your experience like?
    I also want to quit using so I thought I'd give it a shot but it scares me. I don't like benzo's and I don't like alcohol so I am afraid I won't like this either. I also don't want to take a bunch of them at once.
    Thank you!
    First off, they are nothing like benzo's. I don't drink and don't like benzo's either. I used gaba to help detox from 12 years of methadone/suboxone usage and they definitely do help. I wouldn't take them every day, only on the days i felt really bad. I have a thread describing my detox in detail and say on the exact days that i had taken the gaba. It's a pretty long thread but i think it's worth a read. The main reason i wanted to respond is because i did a lot of research on gaba and they can be horrible to detox from and a lot have said it's worse than anything else they have ever come off of. This is the reason that I have only taken gaba maybe 12 days out of the 36 days i have been clean from opiates. My suggestion is that you take them sparingly to get through the rough days and not as an every day substitute for opiates.

My experience with them is that they give me a little energy and take away some of the anxiety on those rough days. They did not make me drowsy at all either. Gaba is given for so many different off label things its ridiculous and the makers of it got sued for pushing the off label uses. Heck, they still have NO CLUE how gaba even works in the body. That's what scares me about it... They have an idea that it works off of binding to the calcium channels but they aren't really sure. This is the reason that i take them sparingly and refuse to have my body depend on them.

Keep in mind that i am no doctor and I am only speaking from my personal experience and what i have studied up on it(which i have done a lot of as you can tell if you read my thread)

I forgot I asked this question. Thanks for the responses. After this post my dad started using them and they really helped his detox.. I take them at night to fall asleep and to help with RLS. It seems to help. I'm actually going to take them for the third night in a row seeing as how the RLS is rearing it's ugly head. It's so awful :/ I don't have any feel good feelings with GABA so this won't be a long term thing. Just until the RLS stops. :/

carriesienna is offline New Member

Hi I'm going through codeine and gabapentin wit drawl right now and I think hell they both s bad as each other darlin I need help x

marc5868 is offline New Member

HiYa Carriesienna. I just wanted to see how you are doing. The only thing I can offer is friendship, understanding and support along with a little knowledge. It is a hard road as you know you have headed down and you will be better for it. I wish you the best with your codeine and gaba w/d as I am in a similar situation.

I am on day 2 of withdrawal from 4 years of heavy opioid use. My script and for the most part I stuck to one gaba in morning, one in afternoon and two in the evening for RLS. Along with at the moment taking morphine morning and evening and hydrocodone (for light pain) or Percocet (for heavy pain). Why in the heck did I pick the weekend my Dr. was out of town is crazy. My insurance changed and they took me from pain patches once a week to a host of horrible meds all to get me back to my patches. Each month I have to fail (or two to three weeks) then I get to try the next one the all mighty insurance company will let my Dr. prescribe. She tried to fight since this is new insurance but lost 3 cases/attempts.

The changes caused me some real scary mental issues along with tremors (never had before) along with crying fits, shakes from head to toe almost like a seizure. I could not take it any more. I am a 57 year old who lost his business because I could not keep up with it due to the levels of pain. I sold it for so much less than its value. Wasn't fair to my wife or myself to continue down such a dark road so I chose to detox myself starting yesterday. I am disabled from my RA/Ostio and an 16 year infection that has been tested in my city by 3 Drs. and up to Mayo Clinic for a week. Sed rate (ESR) of 70 mm/hr (normal range 0-19) going up 2-3 points a year and C-Reactive Protein CRP of 33.6 mg/L (normal range of 4.0). Major inflammation and joint pain is the outcome from such high numbers. This combo is why I am on so much pain killers and it is making me into someone I don't want to be.

Well, this wasn't really about me as I truly was concerned for you and your road to recovery. I believe you can, like I know I can fight my symptoms as well. Please stay in touch with me at marc5868. I wish you much success.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi Marc
    Welcome to the forum..
    If you are interested in getting and giving support to others
    That are going through similar situations..
    Please start a new thread of your own
    On the need to talk board..
    It has a lot more traffic and others will come to lend support..
    I will check back later ..
    Take care
    Bette

Mayflower14 is offline Banned

My neighbor offered me a couple of these right after I jumped off Suboxone. I took for two days and after some research, I learned that they work sort of like pain pills, and do feel that they extended my d/t by a few days. I also read that you have to take a fairly large dose to feel the effects and that they only work the first time you use them, as far as getting a euphoric "high" off of them. I noticed my w/d was at bay, and I also felt a little cruddy the next day or two. Initially they gave me some energy and then I slept very well that same night/ but I also did a 2 mile hike thru the woods and sat in a sweat lodge for a few hours, so that probably helped make me tired.

Thanks Opiate, May and Lluv2 for your information. I appreciate your quick reply.

Opiate - I am using 600mg in the evening for RLS only although I now read it is/was a pain med given or other reasons. That doesn't bother me as I know many meds have the same effect over time and help a whole host of people not intended for. If I am not much better than today, on Tue my Dr will have my ass in a treatment center which I would have gone but my wife lost her job and now we have our two daughter who live together and are grown coming back to live with us a year. So finances would be kinda tough but it would have probably been the smart call after the day I had. The Xanax or Valium (is what I have) has kept the mental side balanced. I will look up Clonidine as soon as I finish. Thanks for the tip

May - Suboxone is the next pill the insurance company wanted me to take. I know each person differs but how did you like it? Give you shakes, mental issues or any major side effect??? I would like to know. Thanks for your info

Mayflower14 is offline Banned

Suboxone didn't give me any bad side effects...it just kept me addicted to opiates and I had to go thru w/d from it. The only positive thing it did was offer a time buffer between my pill use, so my "cravings" for pills/euphoric high during my w/d wasn't as bad as those going CT from pills because I had been on subs for 2 1/2yrs. Subs didn't really make me high, not the way pills did anyway.

Thanks May - I appreciate your candid input. I really don't want to deal with opiates during the summer months when my levels of pain are much less. I am trying to get back to the WONDERFUL Butrans (sp) patches that never gave me such severe reactions as this damn drug hopping just to please the new insurance company.

My cravings for pills is minor compared to what I would guess most people on this site. For me it was manageable. Very slight highs depending on the day and the additional Percocet. Then it was all about headphones and listening to music. I would hit the EXACT level of meds and it was such a pleasure rather than deal with some of the side effects. It was the insurance opioid list that truly messed me up this time. That's why I am trying to detox this weekend. Its day 3 and I am starting to have more good hours than bad. Nighttime/bedtime is still almost impossible due to RLS.

Hearing input from others that have been down the road with success gives me hope. Truly appreciate your help with Suboxone.

relapsed2015 is offline Junior Member

doctor typically give Neurontin (gabapentin) for neuropathic pain (nerve pain like pinched nerves) or RLS etc.
    however, everyone should be aware that the medicine itself started originally as a SEIZURE drug.
    it isn't something you should abuse or use without guidance.