Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kds_56
Gabapentin withdrawls
    Kds_56 is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin withdrawls

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and wanted to ask for some advice on anyone that has taken this drug. I have a long history with drugs and I've finally made the decision to clean myself of everything and start a new life and I've come here to look for support and share experiences with anyone who's been in similiar life struggles with drugs.

I've had a long history with narcotics, I was addicted to hydrocodone in my early twenties for several years. I got addicted when I had surgery and once the doctor stopped prescribing I took to buying it on the streets to feed my addiction. I was fortunate enough to hold a decent job and keep my life together while I was doing this. I finally quit and it was rough for me. I started to get gabapentin to help with anxiety and to help me sleep at night. I was on it for most of my twenties and I got tired of how it made me feel and I was sick of hiding behind drugs and not dealing with my anxiety head on, also I began dealing with symptoms that most 30 year olds shouldn't be dealing with. As of December 30 2016 I was giving the okay to stop taking it. The first week I was okay but I started to get depressed, but I was still able to still function with work and etc.. halfway through the second week I began drinking during the evenings and by drinking I could nearly finish a pint of whiskey. This drinking has been going on for two weeks straight and now I've basically replaced the drug a quit for booze. I feel like I can't quit one drug without replacing it with another.

Sorry if this has been a long post but I really felt like I needed to let this out since I keep my addictions away from friends and family and would love to hear some advice. Thankfully tonight I haven't drank at all. Has anyone here overcome gabapentin and would like to share?

riffe is offline New Member

Reading your question was like reading my past almost to the exact, and I've been take neurontins for 4 years now a long with Suboxone for 10 years now and I decided to quit taking the gabapentin and the first week wasn't that bad but after day 7 I seemed to get worse than better and depressed and lost 15 lbs and had no energy or appetite. I never quit taking my Suboxone but they didn't help at all because the gabapentin w/d overpowered everything else. So if I can give u any advice would be to go to family Dr n get out on buspar and ephexor for depression and helps with energy n sleep and you will feel better and happier than ever but don't just cold turkey the gpentins because it's really time consuming n not healthy to you body. I hope you are doing better and hope this helps you somehow

pneumatik is offline New Member

Default Your Only Alone When You Don't Seek Others

]Hi there friend, I have to start this by saying the obvious. You can't do it alone. Stop thinking of your misfortunes as if they are a sort of stupidity you've purposefully induced upon yourself. That is always the mistake which most addicts only learn after hitting rock bottom. I am an addict. I have many years of stories. The withdrawals from gabapentin are not horrible in the sense of physical restraints, but they are horrible in the sense of longevity. The drug works by stealing/scrubbing your magnesium levels in an effort to minimize receptor continuity. Whenever your nervous system takes a hit, as does your mental/physical state of being. Now without delving too deeply into the topic, I would like to give you some very useful advice on how to recover from long-term gabapentin use. As I stated previously, your body has been lacking magnesium due to the gaba you were taking. In order to get back to normality, you must consider replacing these levels. Along with calcium and potassium. The way gabapentin was designed, it's purpose was to slow seizure activity in the brain. The receptors in your entire body, are dependent on electrical signals from the brain, to the receptors. When those receptors have less and less magnesium, they lose more and more continuity. The idea is this;if you have seizures and you lower your level of magnesium, you lower the likelihood/threshold of a seizure. Why? Because when your brain begins to send too many electrical signals, (which is the cause of most grand-mal seizures) the lack of continuity (magnesium) on the receptors, go unnoticed. Therefore, avoiding the symptoms of a seizure. So how do you get better and stop this drugs withdrawals? You should begin to replace your body's deficiencies from which the drug created. Magnesium, Calcium, and Potassium all-in-one supplements were the only thing that alleviated my symptoms. I'm in my later 30's, male. I was on gabapentin for 6 years. I tried to stop many times. One time I stopped from a dose of 3,200mg/day and did so, cold turkey. My withdrawals lasted for 13 weeks and I finally gave into taking it again. That was before I learned of exactly what I was doing wrong. Firstly, I stopped on way too high of a dose. Secondly, I didn't know about supplementing and how the drug actually worked. Take some time to go on the internet and get an idea of what you are hearing from me. Do your homework and you will learn more about what I am describing. The most !IMPORTANT! thing I want you to know is what I used in order to help me stop taking my 900mg/day dose of gabapentin. I weaned down to that dosage over some period of time. One year or so perhaps. Anyway, I was on that dose for about a year when I finally stopped taking it entirely. I took many magnesium/calcium supplements and I only found one that worked tremendously well. It seriously gave me hope and I slowed my drinking to self medicate. I actually started to feel better after a week of taking it, like almost 100% again. This was 3 weeks into stopping my gabapentin usage. Anyway, the supplement, search this in Google...

Again, I don't want too get to far into the details. I am sure if you desire sobriety, or at least control of your life, you have the capacity to do some research of your own on theses remedies. I know what your going through and I am absolutely empathetic. I hate that any person has to be put through these situations. And more so, I hate that the medical industry has no idea how to help. They are limited by how much they care. They don't want to know what these drugs do after they've prescribed them. Mostly because they get kickbacks and gratuities for doing so. You end up thinking your doctor can and will help you through these issues, but the majority of doctors treat you like a child. Saying "You'll be okay, this drug only has 'x' amount of time to withdrawal." That "X" is always very far from the truth. And during that "X" time of withdrawal, they suggest ridiculous remedies like sleep and staying away from stressful situations. It's absurd and totally ingenuine. I hope you find this useful my friend and victim of western medicine. Please feel free to reply if you have any further questions on the topic or any other.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-06-2018 at 12:44 AM.

pneumatik is offline New Member

Default Let Me Ad This...

p.s. DO NOT LISTEN OR TAKE STOCK IN 'RIFFE' REPLY TO YOUR QUESTION. I read the reply b4 my own. Do not think that anti-depressants will help you. At least don't jump to that conclusion. Be honest with yourself in knowing you are strong and likely you will have to tough it out. The whole reason you are hurting is because of prescription drugs. Taking more drugs, especially psychological/mental disorder drugs, is probably the last thing you need. Stay strong and don't listen to people who only answer drug problems with more drugs. Please, be fair with yourself. The hard way always pays off. I know because i did it. And suboxone/buprenorphine, completely destroys your endorphin receptors. When it is done doing so, your brain will recreate new, but inferior, inferior receptors. Leaving you with p.a.w.s. (post acute withdrawal syndrome) and a lifetime of opiate maintenance. Please ignore that post. It wasn't intentionally inaccurate, but very much so. Trust yourself, you've got this. It takes time![/size]

Did you by chance stay off gabapentin?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm happy to announce that I'm on day two of no alcohol, also it's been since December 30th since I've had my last tapered dose. I've changed my whole diet around to help myself stay healthy during these trying times. Believe me my spirit is much better today now that I've confessed my demons on this forum so I appreciate all the responses. I've also read that magnesium is a good supplement for the withdrawls and I will definitely look more into that. I agree with you that I shouldn't replace this drug with anything else, I'd feel like I'd be on day one. I can't honestly feel like I'm 100% better but I'm on that path. Next week I plan on getting a gym membership and excersizing because I know they'll help me physically and mentally. Thanks for your suggestion pal!
    NikkiLP likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by riffe View Post
    Reading your question was like reading my past almost to the exact, and I've been take neurontins for 4 years now a long with Suboxone for 10 years now and I decided to quit taking the gabapentin and the first week wasn't that bad but after day 7 I seemed to get worse than better and depressed and lost 15 lbs and had no energy or appetite. I never quit taking my Suboxone but they didn't help at all because the gabapentin w/d overpowered everything else. So if I can give u any advice would be to go to family Dr n get out on buspar and ephexor for depression and helps with energy n sleep and you will feel better and happier than ever but don't just cold turkey the gpentins because it's really time consuming n not healthy to you body. I hope you are doing better and hope this helps you somehow
    I really do know how you feel. I've had to force myself to eat but I've changed my diet to all healthy foods to help condition myself through this process. Day two of no drinking so I'm happy for that. I'm going to try and stay away from any prescription drugs and do this straight. Did you happen to stay off gabapentin?

Ben39 is offline Junior Member

I am on high dose of gabapentin due to oxy withdrawal but i never knew GP can be addictive.

NikkiLP is offline Junior Member

Ben39

IME gabs addiction varies from person to person. We are all unique and each I e of us metabolize things differently. I used gabs and Imodium for cold turkey withdrawal. Never for more then 5 days and never over 1200 mg of gabs. Didn't tapper..just quit. They made it so I could saw at and sleep.

I have to disagree that suboxone is for long term mantanince because of inferior receptors. Subs were designed for a short term tappers. The human brain is amazing and will rebound. PAWS isn't a guarantee..no matter how long you were using and what you were taking. My husband takes gabs off label for bipolar disorder and if he misses a.dose gets brain zaps..he has been on it daily for months
    Nothing is set in stone.

Taraioi is offline New Member

I just think of my old days after reading your story.