Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By pixieoliver
  • 1 Post By pixieoliver
Getting off Fentanyl patch and Suboxone?
    pixieoliver is offline New Member

Default Getting off Fentanyl patch and Suboxone?

Hello everyone. I am prescribed 100mcg Duragesic Fentanyl patch. I have been on this for over a year. This medication has royally messed my body up and I want to be off of it completely. I have lost tons of weight, have severe and chronic constipation that nothing well help, and I am experiencing obgyn issues as well. My area is small and we have limited to no educated physicians concerning withdrawal. I have been cutting my patch down to fourths and I am weening myself down that way. My gp has suggested to just keep doing what I am doing and she will also continue to write monthly scripts in lower dosages. I am really looking to get off this very quickly though due to all the health issues the drug is causing. Next option, according to my gp, is to go to this particular psychiatrist who specializes in drug and alcohol detox. His solution, according to his staff via phone conversation, is to prescribe me Suboxone. Here lies my issue. I never abused this medication, nor am I any sort of addict whatsoever. I want off of fentanyl due to the reasons I listed above. Obviously my body has become dependant on the medication which would cause severe withdrawal symptoms by coming off of it. I am worried that Suboxone would be trading one physical dependency for another. I don't want to get on something else only to go through worse withdrawals. My question is, is Suboxone as addicting and hard to come off of as I have read? Is this medication even appropriate in my situation? As I have stated, I am not an addict, nor abused the medication in any way, nor do I crave opiates. The only way I "crave" would be when I am weening down and I begin to go into seriously unpleasant withdrawals, I then "crave" to not go through such, therefore, placing a patch back on my body to make the withdrawals stop. It seems as though this Suboxone is my only issue and it appears that doctors in my area find it proposterous that what I am saying is the truth. It seems it is easier for doctors to pigeon hole me in a box as an opiate abuser etc. None have said this to me and of course my gp does not think this but when it comes to getting help from a doctor in the detox community, it appears that this is all they know. As if they have never heard of someone wanting help with withdrawal symptoms from a medication that is taken as prescribed, and self initiated the request of coming off the medication. Any advice is greatly appreciated because I am a working professional and cold turkey is unbearable but so is being on the fentanyl. I have to find a way to come off fairly quickly, yet smoothly, as to maintain my employment. I just worry that if I go the Suboxone route, I may be worse off than I am now. Thanks in advance.
    deedee11 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Pixie
    I jumped off 200mcg of fentanyl patches 2 1/2 years ago. I became tolerant and also hated them. If you can wean, fine....but I wouldn't wish that cold turkey on my worst enemy...took at least a year for me to recover to near normal.
    I have no doubts that if I had to do it over again I'd go the sub route. I was u aware of what I was headed into and didn't know about subs at the time.
    If you use the proper induction and taper protocol from here you will save yourself a lot of time and misery.
    Any question s just ask and good luck.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-10-2013 at 12:59 AM.

talangor is offline Junior Member

Sub does have its uses but if I were you I would not go on Sub. The Bentley compounds are scary drugs. They have a very pronounced withdrawal syndrome, including symptoms that no other opioid causes. Some of those compounds are 100's of times more powerful than morphine. At the amount now being prescribed a lot of addicts are going to be hooked on it with very little chance of getting off.

Fentanyl is right up there, specially a patch because it supplies your brain with 24/7 opiates. If you do not like how it feels then it is best to use it for tapering down. In general it is best to taper with your own drug; problem though is the discipline required to do so, hence the substitution of one opiate for another, but in your case the discipline may not be a problem.

The marketing of Sub has been very deceiving; it is really a strong opiate with some clever bells and whistles. It does nothing to reduce the length of time or the severity of WD. It is basically like Methadone, except that for meth you had to go to a clinic for a 21 day program to wean you off, yet everyone I know of would either relapse or get hooked on meth. The mechanism of action of all opiates is the same, the recovery requires re-balancing of brain chemistry, there is nothing yet offered by the medical establishment to address this chemical re-balancing, all that is offered is maintenance (same with many other ailments), the system is such that the pharma industry does not like spending huge sums of money coming out with cures:-)

Stay with the patch and reduce is gradually over few months period. Unfortunately there are on short cuts here, you will go through some WD but if you did not use opiates for their euphoric feeling then you will have a much easier time to come off them with the odds in your favor, it will take some time though.

Thank you to BOTH OF YOU for responding! I haven't even checked to see if anyone ever responded since no one ever responded every time I did check. Therefore, I chalked my post up to going without a response lol. I am on my way out the door for a job interview but as soon as I get back to my computer later I will go into more of what I have been going through since my post. I just wanted to type a quick response to show appreciation and to let you all know that I haven't jumped ship and I will be back to post more!

Ok I am back. Who knows about the job but I would rather detox off this stuff first before starting a new job anyway. Ok, I did leave something out but I do not want to give the wrong impression. I was down to a slither of the patch, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch wide tops of the 100mcg wearing on my bicep. I have extreme pain from spine surgery and then an accident not even a year after the surgery which I wasn't even healed from yet. So about 6 months ago I started cutting about 1/4 inch piece off (maybe smaller) and applied to gums when the pain got bad (at this time my patch size was weened down but bigger, say half a patch from me cutting with scissors because I still wanted off). I did this gumming thing because I was in desperate need of pain relief and I was hoping that this would help more instantly. I am not sure that it did anything at the time. After researching that method, I got mixed reviews, some said it did nothing and the patch is just being wasted, others claimed it got them high. I know it was bad and wrong of me and my intent was not to get a high just pain relief. I never noticed any effects. However, since I started that, I have been doing it every single day while cutting the patch size down on my arm. All day, every day. Since the 4th of this month, I took the slither of patch I wore on my arm off and I haven't placed a patch back on my body but I continue to place slithers on my gum. So that's where I am. I've tried weening that down since the 4th of this month by applying less a day, like 2x or 3x/day. I have scripts for Clonodine .1mg 2x/day, elavil 50mg 2x/day, klonopin .5(plenty lol), and xanax 1m, 2x/day, and soma (plenty) oh and percocets 10mg 2x/day. Unfortunately, I am already dependent on the benzos since I've been on them for over 10 yrs (that's my next thing to tackle since I want off all narcotics). So, the clonodine and elavil are new for me and rx'd for the withdrawal but I have been taking 1 of each nightly of the above mentioned besides 2 of my klonopin pills, which is my regular dosage anyway and I have been able to sleep soundly from 11pm-midnightish till morning, around 8am to 10amish. I do sweat lightly but nothing major like typical withdrawal, note, I have detoxed CT from methadone before. It was after the spine surgery in 08. I was then on oxycontin, then switched to opana er and ir, then to fentanyl patch (low dose like 25 or 50 mcg I can't recall), to morphine ir, to finally like 10mg if I recall of methadone for 2 weeks right up to day of surgery. I kept giving the meds a week tops and when they did nothing, I'd go back and complain and ask for something else. Of course nothing at that time helped because I had a large mass in my spinal canal which impinged on all my nerve roots. When I went into withdrawal after taking my last methadone, I didn't even realize what was happening to me. I thought my surgery went wrong or something and it took a while before I put 2 and 2 together and then googled opiate withdrawal. That lasted a month, the withdrawal. I didn't realize I was in withdrawal at first because I was never taking any one med long enough for me to feel I would be physically dependent but with taking all of them for a combined period, looking back, of course it makes sense I'd be in withdrawal lol. That is why I never bothered keeping my pain mang. appt because I figured once I had the surgery I wouldn't need meds, not thinking of the withdrawals. So anyway back to how I feel when I awake currently. Light sweating during the night, then I wake up and basically started having restless legs and restless every part of my body (lightly, not thrashingly bad). I come down and have some coffee and refrain from gumming a patch piece. Then in no more than an hr, I start having the hot/cold flashes and HORRIBLE HORRIBLE restless entire body feeling. Restless is an understatement! I feel like something is inside of me and I flail about and even yell out loud! I jerk and jump uncontrollably. That NEVER happened during my last withdrawal with the methadone. I can't take that symptom! So I cut a small piece of patch and put it on my gum and keep changing them out all day until bedtime. (I don't wear one on my gum during the night) So, since I am not exactly wearing the patches like I am supposed to, I don't know how I am metabolizing the fentanyl. At least I cut out wearing them on my body 100% since the 4th of April and only gumming them now. Btw, once I place one on my gum, those jerking symptoms go away within 20 mins tops and I feel normal until the next morning when it begins all over again. Yesterday, I was determined to go it all the way and ride this out ct. I lasted maybe an hr longer than usual and even took 1mg of xanax and .1 of clonodine but that did absolutely nothing so I gave in and gummed. I did however manage to only change my gummed patch out once (meaning 1 fresh one then hours later, another fresh one, then bedtime with none). Sorry this is ridiculously long but I wanted to be 100% honest as to get the best advice. Today I went out and bought, 5-htp, green tea extract, calcium, magnesium, zinc, ginkgo biloba, vitamin e, b-6, valerian 450mg, omega 3-6-9, ginseng complex, st. johns wort, vit b complex, benadryl, a good multvitamin, and hylands restless legs. I still wanna get l-tysoine (however you spell it from the thomas recipe) and kava kava. My kidneys are fine so I ignored any of the supplements for the liver or kidneys. I am not getting any immodium as I welcome the runs since I haven't had a bowl movement in a month and in great pain from that. I have gone 2 entire months without a bowl movement at all, even the smallest bit. I have to literally take 2 bottles of magnesium citrate just to go and I'm still not cleared out. So knowing all of the above, do you think the withdrawal will be faster since I am no longer wearing the patch on my skin, only pieces on my gum? Any suggestions on how I should withdrawal? I of course did not tell my dr about the gum thing. I have no clue how to even taper or ween now since my problem lies in withdrawals coming after I go without a piece of patch in my mouth for some time. I was thinking maybe updosing back up to say 1/2 a patch back on my arm to over-compensate for me not having it in my mouth and just stopping the gumming and ween down that way? 1/2 patch or however big of patch it takes to compensate for not gumming. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks again for replying and thanks for listening and taking the time to read this novel lol.
    CNX Ru likes this.

CNX Ru is offline New Member

hi Pixielover.. I'm just wondering if you ever sorted that problem with Fentanyl out..? Or is it still on going? I notice your last post was a couple of years ago or so. I wont go into a big explaination of my situ now in case you're not around anymore. But briefly I totally can relate to that whole story of yours about trying to get off it and then ending up addicted to gummimg it and trying to quit etc. I suffer from chronic pain from nerve damage in spine after breaking it twice in a fall(10yrs ago) from 4th floor balcony. Luckily I can just about walk again although with a drop-foot and terrible balance so I use a cane. Now I'm not sure anymore if the Fentanyl actually really helps that much cos I get loads of pain from continuesly getting withdrawel from that anyway. So living with that pain I might aswell just live with the inital pain I was trying to fix. I don't take all those other oxycotton and subox stuff...only Lyrica 150mg x 2 p.d. I was on max dose of 300mg x 2 p.d. for years but seem to be doing alright on 150's now.. I just cut in half in one swoop! suffered a bit but not to much.. Ideally I'd like to get off the Fentanyl and defo from gumming it, and hopefully just on Lyrica...til one day I can quit that too. I hope!... if you ever check in and read this, please let me know how you got on after your last post.
    Cheers

CNX Ru is offline New Member

Default Gumming Fentanyl

Quote Originally Posted by pixieoliver View Post
    Ok I am back. Who knows about the job but I would rather detox off this stuff first before starting a new job anyway. Ok, I did leave something out but I do not want to give the wrong impression. I was down to a slither of the patch, maybe 1/4-1/2 inch wide tops of the 100mcg wearing on my bicep. I have extreme pain from spine surgery and then an accident not even a year after the surgery which I wasn't even healed from yet. So about 6 months ago I started cutting about 1/4 inch piece off (maybe smaller) and applied to gums when the pain got bad (at this time my patch size was weened down but bigger, say half a patch from me cutting with scissors because I still wanted off). I did this gumming thing because I was in desperate need of pain relief and I was hoping that this would help more instantly. I am not sure that it did anything at the time. After researching that method, I got mixed reviews, some said it did nothing and the patch is just being wasted, others claimed it got them high. I know it was bad and wrong of me and my intent was not to get a high just pain relief. I never noticed any effects. However, since I started that, I have been doing it every single day while cutting the patch size down on my arm. All day, every day. Since the 4th of this month, I took the slither of patch I wore on my arm off and I haven't placed a patch back on my body but I continue to place slithers on my gum. So that's where I am. I've tried weening that down since the 4th of this month by applying less a day, like 2x or 3x/day. I have scripts for Clonodine .1mg 2x/day, elavil 50mg 2x/day, klonopin .5(plenty lol), and xanax 1m, 2x/day, and soma (plenty) oh and percocets 10mg 2x/day. Unfortunately, I am already dependent on the benzos since I've been on them for over 10 yrs (that's my next thing to tackle since I want off all narcotics). So, the clonodine and elavil are new for me and rx'd for the withdrawal but I have been taking 1 of each nightly of the above mentioned besides 2 of my klonopin pills, which is my regular dosage anyway and I have been able to sleep soundly from 11pm-midnightish till morning, around 8am to 10amish. I do sweat lightly but nothing major like typical withdrawal, note, I have detoxed CT from methadone before. It was after the spine surgery in 08. I was then on oxycontin, then switched to opana er and ir, then to fentanyl patch (low dose like 25 or 50 mcg I can't recall), to morphine ir, to finally like 10mg if I recall of methadone for 2 weeks right up to day of surgery. I kept giving the meds a week tops and when they did nothing, I'd go back and complain and ask for something else. Of course nothing at that time helped because I had a large mass in my spinal canal which impinged on all my nerve roots. When I went into withdrawal after taking my last methadone, I didn't even realize what was happening to me. I thought my surgery went wrong or something and it took a while before I put 2 and 2 together and then googled opiate withdrawal. That lasted a month, the withdrawal. I didn't realize I was in withdrawal at first because I was never taking any one med long enough for me to feel I would be physically dependent but with taking all of them for a combined period, looking back, of course it makes sense I'd be in withdrawal lol. That is why I never bothered keeping my pain mang. appt because I figured once I had the surgery I wouldn't need meds, not thinking of the withdrawals. So anyway back to how I feel when I awake currently. Light sweating during the night, then I wake up and basically started having restless legs and restless every part of my body (lightly, not thrashingly bad). I come down and have some coffee and refrain from gumming a patch piece. Then in no more than an hr, I start having the hot/cold flashes and HORRIBLE HORRIBLE restless entire body feeling. Restless is an understatement! I feel like something is inside of me and I flail about and even yell out loud! I jerk and jump uncontrollably. That NEVER happened during my last withdrawal with the methadone. I can't take that symptom! So I cut a small piece of patch and put it on my gum and keep changing them out all day until bedtime. (I don't wear one on my gum during the night) So, since I am not exactly wearing the patches like I am supposed to, I don't know how I am metabolizing the fentanyl. At least I cut out wearing them on my body 100% since the 4th of April and only gumming them now. Btw, once I place one on my gum, those jerking symptoms go away within 20 mins tops and I feel normal until the next morning when it begins all over again. Yesterday, I was determined to go it all the way and ride this out ct. I lasted maybe an hr longer than usual and even took 1mg of xanax and .1 of clonodine but that did absolutely nothing so I gave in and gummed. I did however manage to only change my gummed patch out once (meaning 1 fresh one then hours later, another fresh one, then bedtime with none). Sorry this is ridiculously long but I wanted to be 100% honest as to get the best advice. Today I went out and bought, 5-htp, green tea extract, calcium, magnesium, zinc, ginkgo biloba, vitamin e, b-6, valerian 450mg, omega 3-6-9, ginseng complex, st. johns wort, vit b complex, benadryl, a good multvitamin, and hylands restless legs. I still wanna get l-tysoine (however you spell it from the thomas recipe) and kava kava. My kidneys are fine so I ignored any of the supplements for the liver or kidneys. I am not getting any immodium as I welcome the runs since I haven't had a bowl movement in a month and in great pain from that. I have gone 2 entire months without a bowl movement at all, even the smallest bit. I have to literally take 2 bottles of magnesium citrate just to go and I'm still not cleared out. So knowing all of the above, do you think the withdrawal will be faster since I am no longer wearing the patch on my skin, only pieces on my gum? Any suggestions on how I should withdrawal? I of course did not tell my dr about the gum thing. I have no clue how to even taper or ween now since my problem lies in withdrawals coming after I go without a piece of patch in my mouth for some time. I was thinking maybe updosing back up to say 1/2 a patch back on my arm to over-compensate for me not having it in my mouth and just stopping the gumming and ween down that way? 1/2 patch or however big of patch it takes to compensate for not gumming. Any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks again for replying and thanks for listening and taking the time to read this novel lol.

hi Pixielover.. I'm just wondering if you ever sorted that problem with Fentanyl out..? Or is it still on going? I notice your last post was a couple of years ago or so. I wont go into a big explaination of my situ now in case you're not around anymore. But briefly I totally can relate to that whole story of yours about trying to get off it and then ending up addicted to gummimg it and trying to quit etc. I suffer from chronic pain from nerve damage in spine after breaking it twice in a fall(10yrs ago) from 4th floor balcony. Luckily I can just about walk again although with a drop-foot and terrible balance so I use a cane. Now I'm not sure anymore if the Fentanyl actually really helps that much cos I get loads of pain from continuesly getting withdrawel from that anyway. So living with that pain I might aswell just live with the inital pain I was trying to fix. I don't take all those other oxycotton and subox stuff...only Lyrica 150mg x 2 p.d. I was on max dose of 300mg x 2 p.d. for years but seem to be doing alright on 150's now.. I just cut in half in one swoop! suffered a bit but not to much.. Ideally I'd like to get off the Fentanyl and defo from gumming it, and hopefully just on Lyrica...til one day I can quit that too. I hope!... if you ever check in and read this, please let me know how you got on after your last post.
    Cheers

Default I'm back and read your reply CNX!

Quote Originally Posted by CNX Ru View Post
    Cheers
    Nothing has changed. I think I changed fentanyl doses a few times and that's about it. I'm now on 75mcg but still do 100% on gums! I'm a mess and going through them way too quickly now too! I'm so upset that I ever tried such a stupid thing. Now I am an addict. I may as well say I am. Not in the the traditional way but still pretty bad since I'm still in this position and not using it right. I had no clue how strong fentanyl was until long after I'd been on it. I wish I never touched it. I was thinking I could use suboxone to ween off fent and deal with withdraws while using the smallest amount possible and also ween off the sub after a few days to get thru the worst of the withdrawal and be off both in say 2 weeks? A month? I don't know. It's just a plan to maybe try. I'm desperate. Ty for replyîng.

crazyfrog is offline Banned

Fastrst way to very of any opiate is to go cold turkey. It's a amazingly hellish mind experience. But its the shortest way i know. I'm on day 16. Of 8 years of non stop hydro 10/325. And im doing better . 16 days of mind thrashing.

808stateliving is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by pixieoliver View Post
    Nothing has changed. I think I changed fentanyl doses a few times and that's about it. I'm now on 75mcg but still do 100% on gums! I'm a mess and going through them way too quickly now too! I'm so upset that I ever tried such a stupid thing. Now I am an addict. I may as well say I am. Not in the the traditional way but still pretty bad since I'm still in this position and not using it right. I had no clue how strong fentanyl was until long after I'd been on it. I wish I never touched it. I was thinking I could use suboxone to ween off fent and deal with withdraws while using the smallest amount possible and also ween off the sub after a few days to get thru the worst of the withdrawal and be off both in say 2 weeks? A month? I don't know. It's just a plan to maybe try. I'm desperate. Ty for replyîng.
    Hi pixie. I've never been on fentanyl parches so i have no advice there. But if u chose to go the Suboxone route you can induct with the sticky on the top of the Suboxone thread to help you. The idea is to induct on the smallest amount possible and depending on your dose you can be off in 30-45 days. The idea is to taper 25% every 4 days. On the 5th day to drop to your new reduced dose. Of course you never drop until you're stable. If u do it right you don't have to do it again and lots of ppl here have done it pretty painlessly. Good luck!! I wish you the best whatever you decide!

Yeah that's what I'm thinking I have to do. Problem is, everyone around here wants to start u on a really high dose and keep u on it. I need a dr who is about helping and not just making money. I've tried just cutting down a little and the withdrawals from just that, are WAY WORSE than the entire withdrawal off oxy, methadone, and morphine and opana! Plus, since 2013 when I first came here things have just got exponentially worse! Now I'm using them entirely orally on my gums. So I feel like such a fool. I have the name brand matrix kind and they don't get u high at all. I googled a while back how to get the best pain relief with them and some idiot was talking about sticking them on your gum. I think he had the ones with gel too so they got him high. I was just reading and didn't post. I was just looking for a one time quick pain relief since I was having an extremely bad flare up and needed to work. Well one time turned to how I use them exclusively now. I love alone so I can't get any help with things while in withdrawal and my health is bad because of the toll this drug has taken on my body over the years. I'm sickly thin, severely malnourished and dehydrated with the worst chronic constipation ever.

Anonymous Guest

What do you mean mind thrashing? I currently am taking 75mcg every 48hrs, This stuff is bad news. I have been on it many years now for my chronic pain. And I need off and I am terrified of going threw withdraws. Any advive or in site would be greatly appreciated .

Anonymous Guest

Default I need in site please

Hi am currently taking 75mcgs changing every 48 hrs. I have been on the Fentanyl Patch for many years now along with several other medications as I suffer from chronic pain and nerve damage. I want off this stuff and terrified of going threw withdraws. I have been with my pain specialist for over 15yrs now and I was dropped due to a urine test which is stupid because I have never had an issue with doing that. but this last one the other day I couldn't fill the cup up to the line it was just under the line so they let me go. I am devastated after 15 yrs this has happened. Can't get into a new pain management for two weeks and I was to refill a few days ago so Ya a little scared here. I want to do this as safe as possible without getting hooked on something else. It took me many years to come out of a wheelchair lot's of therapy and not really looking to going back into one but would rather be in one the rest of my life than stay on this bad new >>>>. Any help advice in site would be so helpful, I have not slept in days because I am stressing on the withdraws Help Please. I have to be able to take care of my son who is bed ridden from a major surgery But can't get a refill until I find a new doctor. Afraid if I cold turkey it that it could be fatal and that scares me to no end. Anyone that can help or be threw this Please let me know .Thank you

ItsPossible is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady6444 View Post
    Hi am currently taking 75mcgs changing every 48 hrs. I have been on the Fentanyl Patch for many years now along with several other medications as I suffer from chronic pain and nerve damage. I want off this stuff and terrified of going threw withdraws. I have been with my pain specialist for over 15yrs now and I was dropped due to a urine test which is stupid because I have never had an issue with doing that. but this last one the other day I couldn't fill the cup up to the line it was just under the line so they let me go. I am devastated after 15 yrs this has happened. Can't get into a new pain management for two weeks and I was to refill a few days ago so Ya a little scared here. I want to do this as safe as possible without getting hooked on something else. It took me many years to come out of a wheelchair lot's of therapy and not really looking to going back into one but would rather be in one the rest of my life than stay on this bad new >>>>. Any help advice in site would be so helpful, I have not slept in days because I am stressing on the withdraws Help Please. I have to be able to take care of my son who is bed ridden from a major surgery But can't get a refill until I find a new doctor. Afraid if I cold turkey it that it could be fatal and that scares me to no end. Anyone that can help or be threw this Please let me know .Thank you
    Hi Lady,
    I would love to help you through this but I recommend you starting your own thread. Once you do that it will be easier for others to give you advice.

sosillyscared is offline New Member

You are completely telling my story, more to follow soin

Default Hoping to get help stop "gumming" my FP

I'm a 60 year old women suffering with addiction type behavior with Fentynal patces, I've just started reading about other patients experiences and am hopeful for the first time that I will be able to get some ideas on how to stop.

I've been through detox several times, alcohol, many different types of opioids, metadone and benzodiazepines, the withdrawal symptoms from Fentynal is by far the worst ever! I'm so scared.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sosillyscared View Post
    I've been through detox several times, alcohol, many different types of opioids, metadone and benzodiazepines, the withdrawal symptoms from Fentynal is by far the worst ever! I'm so scared.
    Start your own thread when you can so you can get personalized help and support. Let us know your complete and detailed history with the fent patches, how much you are taking, for how long, etc...?