Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Sunshine1112
  • 1 Post By Loriannabella
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Sunshine1112
  • 1 Post By TopFuelTim
Getting off Tramadol in 5,4,3,2, oh god!
    MichaelaC is offline New Member

Default Getting off Tramadol in 5,4,3,2, oh god!

Have been on Tramadol for a few Years now. I only take 2 50mg a day but wow if I don't take them the pain all over is horrible. It feels like the flu. Arms and legs shaking and aching. My hair is falling out and I just generally look like a very ill person. I have 5 left. I am going to take the last 5 at 1 a day. Then I am going for it. NO MORE. I am worried but from what I have read on here it is bad for about a week and then it gets better?

Sunshine1112 is offline Advanced Member

You might want to try taking 1 a day for three days and then a half for four days. You can also experience brain zaps and dizziness. Tramadol should be tapered when coming off due to the SSRI in them. Have you spoken with a dr in regards to weaning off? They can cause seizures if you come off of them to fast. Not everyone has them coming off ct but it is a possibility.
    MichaelaC likes this.

Hey Sunshine,
    That's a good idea. My Dr tells me to take them as I do have a back injury but I just can't deal with the addiction any more. Going to be painful, especially being a single mum too. But I am determined.

Loriannabella is offline Junior Member

Oh my, I just wanted to say I know how you feel. I'm trying to get off 30-40 a day and when I stop or even go just slightly too long... I get instant death.. Or well, I wish I did. Lol you can do it - these people are awesome just listen to them...
    MichaelaC likes this.

Lorianna I read your thread and really feel for you. I feel like I am rattling when I don't take them so I can't imagine how you feel! I really hope you eventually get off them. This site helps so much knowing there is people supporting you.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Michaela
    If you stRt your thread on the need to talk board you will get more support..
    That board seems to have more traffic..

It is hard but please keep posting it will help!
    It does get better...
    Bette
    MichaelaC likes this.

Thanks Bette I will have a look. Just starting to find my way around this site!

4 left! Panicking already.

No need to panic. It will be ok. You will get thru this and be so much better offf. Deep breaths and extra walking or excercise. Think of how nice it will be when you body is free of that awful drug!! You are giving yourself an amazing gift!!! Stay strong just for today.
    MichaelaC likes this.

OK. 2 left. 1 today. Half tmrw. Half the next day. Then I am on my own............

You got this!!! Stay strong!!

Ah. My ray of sunshine!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelaC View Post
    Ah. My ray of sunshine!
    Extra sunshine for you!!

Nope. Back on 2 a day. DAMN this.

Nope. Back on 2 a day. So sad.

TopFuelTim is offline New Member

Default Let me share my story in the hope it helps...

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelaC View Post
    Nope. Back on 2 a day. So sad.
    Just kicked Tramadol (I think) after taking it for ~22 years. Started with my nurse wife bringing home a sample due to my severe lower back pain in 1992. That first 50mg dose seemed like a miracle. If I had a bad day I took 2 for 100mg total. In the morning I would ache but really just thought it was my back but now realize it was WD between daily IR doses. Over the years it increased to 3 - 4 pills daily IR partially due to another serious injury. This seemed to get it done but I fell in serious fear if I ran short of meds. It was going to be a bad day!

My pharmacist mentioned about 18 months ago she used Tramadol ER and how it helped her in the latter part of the day. This sounded appealing so I switched to 200mg ER daily. It seemed great for the most part. What I didn't realize was that I was slipping seriously into couch potato status--even more than before. Then I blew another level of my back out. The natural reaction was to increase the dose which now climbed to 300mg ER daily. I began to notice my attention span decreasing and unable to concentrate for extended periods. I knew it was time to reduce but began wondering if I should quit cold turkey then evaluate.

One month ago I traveled for 3 days as I do frequently for business only to realize I did not pack my meds--yikes! I had an idea what to expect from periods when my meds were unavailable or ineffective (had a weak dose one time). I felt this was an ideal time to explore the quitting complete idea figuring the worst was the immediate following 2 days. I could not see my general MD that week but did go see my back doctor. They were certainly concerned about any side effects of quitting but as long as these were controllable they did not see any serious worries. Concerns were blood pressure, thoughts of suicide, pulse rate (avoid increase), and general pain tolerance. I was committed to see this through the WD phase.

I specifically went to see 2 MD's and 2 Pharmacists to get an opinion how long it would take to get this out of my body or escape the WD's. Interesting the results...

Pharmacist #1 = 1 month!
    MD #1 = 3 days
    MD #2 = 1 week
    Pharmacist #2 = 2 days

As you can see no one really has a straight answer and I do realize there are variables however each knew my background outlined here in detail. So, I began to realize the real problem with pain medications in general. While I am not an addictive type of person I did recognize my anxiety from the absence of my meds. Next paragraph I will outline my month which is likely the most helpful here--I just wanted to set the stage.

Day one was pretty rough. I had to travel to a busy city downtown for a meeting. I pained my way through this beginning to notice the more I move the better I feel in general. I took several hot baths that day. After each I retreated to a bed and tried not to move a muscle. I would occasionally fall into a nap. Later that day I made it to a pharmacy to get over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen including the PM versions for better/longer sleep. These offered decent relief versus the WD pains and body pains.

Day two, I had to travel back to the airport, board a plane, and still get work done (I am not a pilot). I went through waves of feeling fine then achy waves that seemed to ripple through my body. I recognized these as pure WD's. If I did not let it immediately bother me I could get through the next 20 - 60 minutes reasonably well. I also noticed that these periods of fine to rough were beginning to get wider.

Day three, I began to notice a painful and distinct area around my shoulders and neck that came close to me hopping back on the Tramadol however I decided to stick it out eventually getting better in this aspect. Still more one and off WD's.

MD #1 had prescribed 3x50mg IR's to get me through the first weekend should it become too much. I did not fill the prescription. I did continue to notice the widening of the various waves of pain and discomfort to just plain feeling fine. I found this encouraging as I knew I was on to something. Most of the pain and discomfort could be tied to WD feelings and not severe body pain. This is the point I realized I addicted my body within the first month of taking this stuff but needed the relief then up to my first back surgery in 2004.

Days four through seven, more of the same yet widening the period between feeling WD symptoms. I continued to see light at the end of the tunnel and no train. I would use PM versions of acetaminophen to sleep pretty well overall. Most nights getting 6 - 7 hours sleep. I would wake more willing to take on my day where before it took a couple solid hours to confront my day. My mind overall was more willing to engage things requiring activity even if my body wasn't quite ready. Again, saw this as very encouraging.

Days eleven through eighteen, I would occasionally get a WD feeling. It would not last real long. When I did or when pain set in I would take 800mg of ibuprofen. The frequency of WD's widened each day becoming pretty infrequent.

Days nineteen through twenty five, pretty much down to the body pain only. I can say at this point I had totally good days and totally bad days but not too bad. I do have some body pains (injury related) which I am dealing with in other manners. Cannot comment on their effectiveness just yet but it is over-the-counter pain killers or injections at the point of pain by an MD. What I can say is at 55 years of age I feel much more like my ~35 year-old self than I have in the last 20 years.

In summary, if you have the willpower, the support group (I sort of did this alone so not completely necessary), the understanding that it may take 7 - 14 days to get into the WD-free zone you can do this! If you have trouble with other addictions I can see the benefit of reducing dosage until you can quit completely. MD #1 was a fan of reduction versus cold turkey.

Hope this helps...

-Tim
    MichaelaC likes this.

Hey Tim,
    God bless you. I am so over this drug. I feel pain all the time if I don't take it. My arms and legs have a very achy restless dirty feeling and it is just so depressing. I cannot believe my Dr handed these out to me only to try and stop me now I am addicted to them.

I agree they are not a fun drug to get off of at all. I hope it is getting a little better you.