Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
Getting ready for percocet detox at home /it's fun till it's not fun anymore
    timetochange is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Getting ready for percocet detox at home /it's fun till it's not fun anymore

Hi everyone,
    This is long overdue. I am an opiate addict. I always liked percocets recreationally for the little burst of energy/warm fuzzy feeling. This started about 10 years ago. I wasn't taking that many until the last year or so. Now I am to the point of easily taking 5 30's a day (or more). I am married and have a good job and no one knows my secret. I do all the banking and the amount of money I spend monthly is just outrageous. I no longer feel that good when I take them, just taking them so I don't feel w/d symptoms. I feel like I would need pills to do anything: food shop, go out socially, run errands, clean, work out, even go to work. My job is in healthcare and it's a stressful, on -my- feet -all-day job so they helped me get through. How did I let these little, measly things control my life?? Everything I used to love: working out, dancing, reading, cooking has pretty much stopped and I take my pills and do whatever I have to do while I have the energy and then crash on the couch and watch tv for hours. Not really a life. It was all fun till it's not fun anymore. I am also to the age where I want to start thinking about children in the future too. I am ready to stop this time. I am. I am disgusted. I want to call my best friend and my mom and tell them about my secret, but I can't. I want to try to do this on my own, hopefully with some help here. I stopped before about 6-7 months ago (also for a urine drug test) and it was pretty much hell. I stopped for 6 days then relapsed when I had a social event. I had the runs, watery eyes, sneezing, skin crawling feeling, nausea, night sweats, no energy/depressed, senses seemed to be out of control (smell was super strong and eyes were sensitive to light) but the worst is insomnia (which I already have bad issues with). Even taking ambien (which is another story for another time) and a 1/2 of Xanax didn't help me sleep those nights.. Anyway, I just took my last pill today at 8:30 a.m. which was only a 5 mg. Nothing really in terms of what I have been taking. Today is Friday and I have off today and the weekend. I will be back to work Monday which I know from before will probably still not be a pretty day. I think it was around day 5 last time I felt I was over the hurdle. I have been slowly tapering down for 5-6 days and already have begun slight w/d symptoms last few days because I was tapering too quickly (not sleeping, night sweats, runny nose, sneezing, no energy). I know the worst is yet to come. I have my Imodium, ginger tea (for nausea), sage tea (for night sweats-haven't tried it yet, but we'll see), vitamins, ambien and a few Xanax for night only. Hopefully, with some help from others on here I can really kick it this time. Last time I tried to stop for those 6 days I didn't have any support and I see how far that got me. One last thing, the person I get them from (number is deleted) is out for about 2 weeks so this is a good thing. I will post later. Thanks for listening to my long thread.

timetogocold is offline Junior Member

I am coming up on day 7 and honestly you have came to the right place. There is no easy way to get clean but as you know there are things to help you get there. I will be around here most of the day so if you need a chat, don't hesitate. Talking about it helps. I would encourage you to be honest with your loved ones. It should make the process a little easier. It did for me.
    davepeerson and marc5868 like this.

Paulyhadthepink is offline New Member

Your story sounds like mine. I know the struggle TOO WELL! And "yes", you've come to a great place to assist you through this. Remember that you have a lifetime to be sober and "today" is the only day that matters when your detoxing. String your sober days together however/whatever it takes....cuz "time" is your greatest ally (and worst enemy). I too attempted to quit several times over a 10 year span only to relapse after a short period. Read up on PAWS; it'll help you understand what your feeling…AND IT TOO PASSES. Heading into my 10th month of sobriety (off of 250mg/day oxy habit), it took an understanding of PAWS to get me through it all. be good to yourself and stay strong. Your doing the right thing!
    davepeerson and Iluv2smile like this.

Melina123 is offline Senior Member

welcome! I.was you and I HOPE U WILL NOT BE ME. Read Mels Story thread for my story. Amazing how maany of us are or where in Health.Care. Or maybe not.as.its easy to talk clients and.collegues into giving us drugs. Heres the thing. Secrets keep us SICK.ADDICTED. Isolation feeds addiction. You might want to seriously reconsider keeping the secret from ur family aand.friend. Dont take my word.for it tho. Go read the story in my thread. Do u really want that? Without recovery its the only typical outcome. we can help but ONLY u can save urself. please hear me, xo
    davepeerson and Catrina like this.

Thank you. I read your story and it's amazing you came out on the other side. In time, I will let some close loved ones know, I know I have to, but for now I just want to get through withdrawals without anyone knowing other than I have a bug.

thanks paulyhadthepink and congrats on 10 months! that is awesome! hopefully, I will be in your shoes at some point. I did read up on PAWS too last night- thanks.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-14-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: to a person

timetogocold,
    how are you, is it day 8? hope you are well. I am about 24 hours in had sweats, bad sleep (maybe 2-3 hours), nausea and have no energy whatsoever. I made myself run 2 errands yesterday and I was proud I actually made it out of the house. Not much, but something (even though I did technically take a 5 mg pill in the morning). Today is Valentine's Day and I have a feeling I will be in my pajamas on the couch all day. guess there is never a right/ good time for this. I keep worrying that Monday I will be awful and have to work, but am trying to take one day at a time. I am up for a promotion and don't want to call out. Anyway, to keep my mind busy, I have been on the internet a lot and have been reading so many stories about opiate w/d. Sometimes I wonder if reading tons of other people's w/d stories are making me fear/feel the worse. I know everyone is different but feel like I might be adding fuel to the fire. I decided to not read anymore stories but to just post on here. Trying to hang in. Have a bunch of movies to watch and some books. I know I have to keep my mind busy but it is so hard. And I do plan on telling some loved ones once I'm through the worst of it. I just want to get through this part first.
    p.s. I am not sure if I am positing to individuals on here correctly, so If I am not I apologize.

dcg14forme is offline New Member

You sound like me and and were about at the exact same point. I'm just a week or so ahead of you. If your too much like me you may never see this reply. If you do see it >> like to talk with you. It would be nice to talk to someone else about this. Let me know.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-14-2015 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Misspelling

I am now working on day 9 now. It is bitter sweet. I loved everything that I did, until now. My life is already better off of them. When I say that, I don't mean mentally because that part is still hard. It's not that I am slower or not as sharp but just have bad anxiety. Stick to the Recipe. I wasn't taking the L-Tyro and it made a difference in one day not a ton but at this point, anything is better. You really should not take another pill. You are just prolonging the agony by taking any pill. I know this is hard but we are pulling for you!! You have the ability to have a tough day at work but it will be manageable. I know you are worried about a promotion but can get it without a pill. You have forgot how things were but I promise that you will be fine and do great at work. You won't have to worry about the next pill and may be able to focus more on work. Hang in there! We are here for you!!

Start a thread in the "Need to talk" section. It's where most keep up on threads.

OxyAddictNoMore is offline New Member

This is exactly where I am too! I'm at the point where I was using it for back pain, and then it became recreational, and now it has just spiraled into me feeling great after dosing, but the after effects have been so severe in terms of my inability to be outwardly social like i normally am, the almost bi-polar mood swings I have that my lady is putting up with, not knowing what I'm going through behind the scenes.

I'm in the process of tapering off. I got my hands on what is hopefully my last batch of oxy 30's + some lower dosage 10mg's, and some 10mg hydrocodone. Plus I have valium, xanax, and going to try and talk to my doctor to get clonidine to help with the elevated heart rate, sweats, and over anxiety. The feeling waking up in the morning with an elephant on your chest, knowing the only thing to cure it is another pill is absolutely devastating. It reminds me a lot of when I quit smoking cold turkey, I couldn't deal with the waking up every morning coughing, and hacking up flem and nasty stuff. I've heard quitting smoking is mentally tougher than painkillers from people who have gone through rehab for painkillers and quit smoking. All anecdotal, but I know if I can do one and stay smoke free for almost 10 years, I can do this. I can really really do this.

Everyone on this board is an inspiration to me, and in this thread I totally relate to all of the sentiments that have been mentioned. Proposing to my lady in a few weeks just won't be right if I'm in the icy grip of a painkiller addition.

Good luck timetochange! I'm here to support you in any way possible given I'll be going through the same exact thing for similar reasons. We can do this!!!!!!!!!

edit: After rereading your post, I'm literally exactly the same.

"This started about 10 years ago. I wasn't taking that many until the last year or so. Now I am to the point of easily taking 5 30's a day (or more). I am married and have a good job and no one knows my secret. I do all the banking and the amount of money I spend monthly is just outrageous. I no longer feel that good when I take them, just taking them so I don't feel w/d symptoms. I feel like I would need pills to do anything: food shop, go out socially, run errands, clean, work out, even go to work."

Seriously, I couldn't have explained what I'm going through any better. It's such a relief to know that there are other people out there that are going through the same situation as me and trying to move forward by getting off of these pills. Because like you said, while it seems fun, once your brain chemistry starts to change, the fun is over.

Thank you, timetochange. Thank you so unbelievably much to post this. I'm interested, what method are you using to stop?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-15-2015 at 01:45 AM.

OxyAddictNoMore:
    congrats on the upcoming engagement- stay strong! make it your last batch and start cutting back now. I had to cut back drastically and fast in 5-6 days because I was almost out so I was definitely getting mild-moderate w/d symptoms. Just know when you cut back you are not going to get that "high", it's just going to be maintenance mode at that point. I have tried to taper many times but I always just ended up taking them all. Obviously, control isn't our strong suit!!! I would try to lower your dose every 3 days.

And thanks for saying we are an inspiration. It's nice to hear those things when you feel >>>>>>. I'm on day 2 and it's kinda rough, not going to lie. I don't feel like I am going to die, just uncomfortable and feel anxious and no energy. We will live. And I do think though (for me anyway) I am trying not to read as many people's w/d stories because then I suddenly feel what they are feeling. Definitely all in my head but doesn't help me as much in w/d mode. Just plain posting on here makes me feel better. But that is just me.

I really don't have a set "method" I guess. I just tapered a little with what pills I had left last week until I was down to none. I have Ambien and Xanax which I take at night. Although my heart is beating so hard and fast right now I am wondering if I should take a 1/2 of Xanax but it's only 8:20 am! Anyway, if I were you I would get the following: Imodium, ginger (real pieces or ginger tea-it does help if you get nauseas) I bought hyland's leg cramps quick dissolving tablets from target.com which I've heard a lot of people mention to help with RLS/leg cramps, also sage!! (the herb) I boiled a couple of leaves and drank it as tea with a piece of ginger before bed and I didn't wake up drenched in cold sweat for the first time in like 4 nights!!!-so it's worth a try, vitamin B and Benadryl for cold like symptoms. And actually yesterday I took 2 puffs of pot (which I haven't done in about 4 years) and it did help ease some anxiety. I might take 2 more puffs today but that's it-can't risk having that in my system. I would make a list of stuff you need to get now and get it before you are done all your meds. That's what I did this time. It seems to be helping I am definitely w/d but it's a little more manageable than the last time I did it with no tapering and no handy list of w/d groceries

I would write your taper method dosage down and stick to it. If you could taper down in maybe like 2.5- 3 weeks that should be helpful. Maybe not. I would read up on tapering because I am no expert and I know I definitely tapered too quick but I had no choice. I would try to schedule it where you maybe have a few days off once your done all your dosage like a weekend or something. The Xanax you have will definitely help, at least a little. Please let me know how you make out!!

It's definitely a psychosomatic thing too. Keep your mind busy!!

p.s. good movies and good music seem to help me

timetogocold
    thanks! Good for you. I'm trying! I can't find that L-tyrosine anywhere. That seems to be the one thing I am missing. Went to target, cvs, walgreens. Maybe I'll look online now. And as for tomorrow (Monday) I mean I know I am going to feel like I have bricks in my shoes. That no energy, miserable feeling and I have to deal with many people/patients all day on my feet, and smile. Guess I should try to just get through today first. And I will post there next time in the need to talk. Thanks!

dcg14forme

hi. thanks! how are you making out??
    I try to check back on here every morning.

Do you have a whole foods, gnc, or any other vitamin store in your town? Call around before you put energy in to it.

Quote Originally Posted by timetochange View Post
    timetogocold
    thanks! Good for you. I'm trying! I can't find that L-tyrosine anywhere. That seems to be the one thing I am missing. Went to target, cvs, walgreens. Maybe I'll look online now.
    I just ordered some from Amazon with overnight delivery, it will be here Tuesday (because of presidents day). I also grabbed all of the other supplements for the Thomas Recipe there. Less than $30 for all of them!!

I've now tapered down to 90mg a day as of yesterday, which is faster than I expected. I took one 30mg in the morning, afternoon, and evening. I'm going to do my damn best to make sure that sticks. I'm starting to look at this from a few new perspectives. The first is that nothing comes without a price, and if the price I have to pay for my abuse of this stuff is cold sweats, restless nights, and feeling HORRIBLE for a little while, it's a small price to pay for 40+ years of a life worth living.

Again, thank you so much for your input timetochange!!! I totally agree with the not reading w/d stories! They make my own skin crawl. You're absolutely right, just coming on here and posting with like minded people that are in the same situation as you!
    timetochange likes this.

Hi everyone,
    today is day 3 and not feeling so hot.
    OxyAddictNoMore, I am not trying to scare you with my symptoms but have to get few things off my chest. I did call out of work today which was the exact thing I did not want to do!! Yesterday was better than today I have to say. Yesterday I actually ran to the store and shoveled my driveway in the coldest weather we've had in a few years (little victories). Then I did come in and sit on the couch the rest of the day in my pjs. I drank sage tea last night but that did not help with the sweats at all. I took Xanax before bed maybe slept a total of 2-3 hours if that off and on. When I woke up today at 545 for work I was throwing up/gagging, tears >>>>>>>>> down my face, yawning, and the runs. This is when I broke down and called a family member who also was addicted to opiates but was on suboxoene (or was, he is done taking them now). I asked if he could manage giving me 2 strips (8 mg). Now trust me, I am not trying to replace one thing with another and I know I've read up plenty about suboxene and know that w/d is even worse. I only asked for 2 strips (and he only has a total of 3 strips anyway and I am certainly not going to start going to the doctor for it) to see if it helped. He dropped them off and told me to cut the 8 mg strip in 1/3 's and see if it helped. He said that amount is very, very minimal. He knows I am not trying to awaken another beast. As it dissolved under my tongue, I was fighting the urge to throw up (which I did so I am not exactly sure if the whole 2.6 mg was ingested). 10 minutes later my symptoms disappeared. Every one of them. Now I know the milligrams I took is ridiculously low but that is all I am taking today. I am not getting more than 2 strips because like I said I am not trying to feed another addiction (and I don't have any source for them). I am not going to take them past Thursday (which would be 4 days). I am hoping I wake up tomorrow and maybe don't need anything at all. I know suboxene should be administered under doctor's care, but I was desperate and I have to say it helped immensely, even the itsy,bitsy amount that I took. I asked my family member if I take for 3-4 days only am I going to get hooked and am I going to start w/d all over again when I stop. If he said yes to either one, I wasn't going to take it. He said no to both that 3-4 days is fine but wouldn't take more than that consecutively and he said when he was finished with the suboxoene (he only did a couple day dosage too) he was out of withdrawl. So we'll see. I will check back later.
    OxyAddictNoMore likes this.

Lostnscared is offline Junior Member

Hey man I'm new to this site I am on day 2 of no oxy and just inducted myself with suboxone today via robert_325 sub taper plan and it just took the edge off I still feel a lot of the withdrawals and I have took a total of 8mg o suboxone today I figured that would have took all the symptoms away but no... Legs are moving constantly.. Sweats/cold sweats I just feel like I'm losing my mind... It's good to know that there are other people out there doing the same thing and trying to get clean...

betterdaysinsd is offline New Member

Hang in there man. Day 2 is the effing worst. I had a very similar story to op. At the end I was up to 4.5 40s a day. ( for about 2 months at that leave). Day 2 sucks the worst but I'm now on day 5 and feels soon much better! You will to hang tuff!!!
    timetochange likes this.

lostnscared,

good luck. it's tough but it's nice to talk to other people going through it. Just watch the suboxene too. I'm not familiar with that taper plan you said but would like to know what it is. I woke up today (day 4) after taking that 2.5 piece yesterday morning and feel decent. I slept a few hours (with some Xanax) and have mild symptoms but not like the other day. I am going to try and wait it out to see if even really need anymore today. I posted another thread and someone told me to be very, very careful with the suboxene (which I knew). Good Luck. Just remember you will live, it may not be too pretty for a little while, but you will live and come out stronger. Try to stay busy, listening to some good music seems to help take my mind off things, even if for a little.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-17-2015 at 08:21 AM.

OxyAddictNoMore

how are you making out with the tapering? hang in and be strong!

Thank you SO MUCH for checking in timetochange. I'm so sorry I haven't been back in here.

Things haven't gone well for me. My grandmother whom I'm extremely close to has had some serious health problems in the past 2 weeks and is now in hospice. Literally right when I decided to start my detox on the 18th, and had to hop a flight across the country on the 19th for the next 5 - 6 days. I had a stock that was meant for detox and I KNEW it would be a problem, I KNEW, and it was, and I turned to my stock of pills, in addition to my family support, to make it through the past week or so. I'm in the process of resetting things and getting stock back to do a detox.

I'm proposing on Sunday hopefully if things go according to plan. So that's happening regardless of my addiction! I'm also leaning in the direction of asking her to help with my taper plan, as even though I've quit a 10 year 2 pack a day cigarette addiction, this one is killin me! I'm starting to do things for myself, getting back into exercising and meditation. I started doing yoga in the past week, and my sister has provided me a guided meditation for vipassana style of meditation that I am hopefully starting tonight if I can get the guided meditation from her.

Long story short, as I ramble, things have been super >>>>ty. The good news is, I'm at the bottom of a hole and I see a light at the top, and that light is full of positive energy. I know it. Hope things are going well for your timetochange!!!!!

lostnscared, I hope you're doing well, too!!! It's a battle you fight on your own, but I can tell you you are absolutely NOT ALONE!!!! I am with you, timetochange is with you, everyone on this forum that knows what this addiction is, is with you. I wish I could help you through the toughest parts, and I wish you could help me through the toughest parts, but like timetochange said, it really really does help to just talk about it.

Now that I'm back at home and able to try and fight this demon for the second time, I'm totally here as much as I possibly can be. Start a new thread and let me know the link, post in here, it doesn't matter to me, because I know I'll be going through hell and back as well.

I hope for your sake you respond with "I'm doing great!!!" Fingers crossed!

Default to OxyAddictNoMore

OxyAddictNoMore
    Sorry I haven't been on in a little bit. How is your grandmother? And I think if I read things correctly you will be proposing tomorrow (Sunday). Congrats on that!!

And I came across a little bump in road also. I was about 1.5 weeks clean and feeling decent then I had an emergency root canal done for which I was given Percocet 5 mg. Maybe it's my fault for getting them filled but I was in excruciating pain and no OTC helped relieve it. I waited a day and couldn't take it. I looked like I was in the ring with Tyson my face was so swollen!

So, the last 3-4 days I had taken a legitimate prescription for myself for 12 Percocet 5 mg which I took as prescribed (and not much of anything in terms of mgs of what I used to take). I actually don't have any urge to get more or anything, but am mad at myself for taking them. The thing is I actually needed them. I just hope I won't start feeling like >>>> all over again. I guess I will find out today (yesterday took last one).

The first few days after I had nothing in my system (when I initially started and posted on here) were rough and I did take a tiny piece of suboxoene for 2 days then stopped because I was worried about taking that. That helped me get through work at least. I would say about a week into it the only thing that was still rough was sleep (even with ambien or Xanax, which began to just make me feel tired the next day) and my energy was low, very low. So my point is you can do it! I survived! And you will too. Just get back on track even if it's next month but no excuses. So does your soon to be fiancé know about the addiction? If so, getting their help will definitely help you in the long run and make a plan that sticks.

So we both had a little stumble it seems! As long as you really get back on track. That's the thing with addiction, there is always a reason to use. I wanted them when I was happy. I wanted them when I was sad or bored. Really for anything I thought I needed them. So just be careful. Life is always going to throw something your way and we need to learn to deal without percocets. I just wish it that were that simple!

Anyway, let me know how you are making out!

Looks like I am back to square one, I guess??

Melina123 is offline Senior Member

Hello, I was reading this thread during the night. Im 60 days clean from opiates. I too had the dental thing, ugh. Did u think about omg i took all those high doses, and now with this dental pain, >> love to have just 1 of those 30s? Ahhh the irony.
    Anyway, I wanted to let u know that if ur going to taper off with suboxone, theres a right way and a wrong way. The."wrong way" knocks all the opiates off ur receptors, and causes extreme withdrawals and sickness. I never used the subs for detox, so i cant advise u properly. However, if u go to the Need go Talk page, and put taper in ur title line, u will get some EXCELLENT advice for the proper way to do it. Seems doctors (at least on my state) only have to do an 8 hr online course to get the additional DEA # to prescribe this med. Crazy huh? They throw people into that wrong place alot per the posts Ive seen on this board.
    Good luck and u r doing the.absolute BEST thing u can for ur life. Mel
    timetochange likes this.

Melina123
    thank you! I only took the suboxene for 2 days and that was about a week or more ago so I am okay with that. I took such a small amount because I was scared but it did help me for the 2 days I took it. But if I ever needed it again I would definitely ask for more advice. I was getting some mixed answers so I decided to not take for more than 2 days and I was ok (for the most part). I was just hoping taking the 5's for the dental work won't throw me back into withdrawal now that I am done but I only had them for a couple of days so hoping for the best. And yes, it is so ironic & I did think "this pain in awful, if only I had one or 2 30's I would be good". I wonder if that thought process will ever change...

Quote Originally Posted by timetochange View Post
    OxyAddictNoMore
    Sorry I haven't been on in a little bit. How is your grandmother? And I think if I read things correctly you will be proposing tomorrow (Sunday). Congrats on that!!

Just get back on track even if it's next month but no excuses. So does your soon to be fiancé know about the addiction? If so, getting their help will definitely help you in the long run and make a plan that sticks.

So we both had a little stumble it seems! As long as you really get back on track. That's the thing with addiction, there is always a reason to use. I wanted them when I was happy. I wanted them when I was sad or bored. Really for anything I thought I needed them. So just be careful. Life is always going to throw something your way and we need to learn to deal without percocets. I just wish it that were that simple!

Anyway, let me know how you are making out!

Looks like I am back to square one, I guess??
    Thank you for your words!! It's been 10 days since I was here and since then, I still have my habit, but my source of getting my pills last night disappeared and it's a blessing in disguise. I have about 150mg left, am going to try and taper fast if needed, I have all of the supplies for the Thomas Method (prepped from a month ago), otherwise go cold turkey.

Best news is, I broke down and told the fiance before work today and I feel like a weight has been lifted. I still have the weight of addiction on my shoulders, but knowing I have support from the person next to me means the world. She doesn't understand addiction, and admits it, but supports me. And if that's what I can ask for, I will take it in a second.

We're both back at square 1. But today is a new day. One pill today one make tomorrow any better is what I have to keep reminding myself. I just need to be able to not get frustrated and out of sorts at work because of WD symptoms.

How are things going with you timetochange?

Jax124 is offline New Member

Let me know how your detox goes I'm on day 3 it gets easier from here I hope

Hey timetochange and oxyaddictnomore, I've really struggled to stay clean myself and I can understand. I'm glad you're here and are not beating yourself up over stumbling or having a hard time, I know I have stumbled dozens of times, but I'm back here at it. Best thing is just to keep on truckin, one day at a time.

I've stumbled and failed doing this on my own so many times that this time around I'm trying to go to NA as well. I went yesterday and it felt good. Can't make it today due to work, but you bet your butt I'll be in that dingy basement room tomorrow. Face to face helps. Seeing people with months or years sober who have literally lost everything helps. Sounds like you all are like me... we know we're on a precipice and have a lot to lose. Any one thing could push us over that precipice (getting arrested for possession if you don't have rx, losing job, significant other ditching you b/c you're an addict, etc) so let's stop now before we lose what we've worked so hard for. Sorry kinda rambling but just know i'm rooting for you all, god bless.
    timetochange likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast