• 2 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Sserts
  • 1 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 3 Post By Sserts
  • 3 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Elcey
  • 3 Post By Sserts
  • 3 Post By Catrina
Going Cold Turkey off Pain Pills!? A little help please!
    Sserts is offline New Member

Default Going Cold Turkey off Pain Pills!? A little help please!

I have been off Pain Pills for 5 days now.With from everything I have read, very little withdrawals so far. I have been on them for years (7 or 8) I am having several problems; my pain is real, I was not on the Pills for giggles. However Pain Pills have found a way to control me, I simply want my life back. My wife and kids deserve that. I do take baths now. It does help a little with the Pain. But I don't want to trade one addiction for another. When I have Pain Pills I ALWAYS take more then I should. 2 or 3 times the amount. Now my major issue, the desire for them is strong. For example my Pain management Doctor needs to see me a week early (tomorrow) because of the holidays. And I am ready to run there and throw these last 5 days away. My brain says hell I did it this easy the first time... my heart thinks my brain is a dumbass!? Please help! Did I get lucky, is the symptoms going to get worse. Any way to beat the desire. 12 step programs are not for me. If you or anyone can help... PLEASE do.

Thank you, Richard

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sserts View Post
    I have been off Pain Pills for 5 days now.With from everything I have read, very little withdrawals so far. I have been on them for years (7 or 8) I am having several problems; my pain is real, I was not on the Pills for giggles. However Pain Pills have found a way to control me, I simply want my life back. My wife and kids deserve that. I do take baths now. It does help a little with the Pain. But I don't want to trade one addiction for another. When I have Pain Pills I ALWAYS take more then I should. 2 or 3 times the amount. Now my major issue, the desire for them is strong. For example my Pain management Doctor needs to see me a week early (tomorrow) because of the holidays. And I am ready to run there and throw these last 5 days away. My brain says hell I did it this easy the first time... my heart thinks my brain is a dumbass!? Please help! Did I get lucky, is the symptoms going to get worse. Any way to beat the desire. 12 step programs are not for me. If you or anyone can help... PLEASE do.

Thank you, Richard
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on 5 days clean! Please provide some more info, what were you taking and exactly how much (milligrams) per day?

Sorry, I hope I am replying correctly, never done this. Put my business just out there so puplicly. I am/was on hydrocodine 325/10 4 or 5 times Dailey and what ever I bought off the streets as well. This may sound weird but unfortunately I was/am in the financial place to buy anything I wanted. So at worse 200 mg a day or just 40 if I did not buy.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I am really nervous about this whole process!

Oh and my only withdrawals so far is sleeep sucks!!! Thank God for zzzquil! And lack of energy, but that is even getting better.

Thank you, Richard

Sorry, I hope I am replying correctly, never done this. Put my business just out there so puplicly. I am/was on hydrocodine 325/10 4 or 5 times Dailey and what ever I bought off the streets as well. This may sound weird but unfortunately I was/am in the financial place to buy anything I wanted. So at worse 200 mg a day or just 40 if I did not buy.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I am really nervous about this whole process!

Oh and my only withdrawals so far is sleeep sucks!!! Thank God for zzzquil! And lack of energy, but that is even getting better.

Thank you, Richard
    Stay the course, you do not want to throw 5 days away! Seems like you got pretty lucky with the withdrawal symptoms this time but you most likely won't be that lucky again! The cravings are normal, they will become less and less frequent with time! You really should consider some one on one interaction, NA/AA, drug addiction counseling, etc..., it really can help in so many ways!

Regarding your pain, you won't know what your accurate and true pain level is until you are off the opiates for a while? Look up opiate induced pain and you'll understand what I'm talking about? If you are serious in wanting to stay clean then I would not go to that appointment tomorrow with the pain doc! If you want this bad enough you will succeed! Best of luck to you... God bless us all!
    Lvg nghtmare and DravenDomnq like this.

Ricky71 as of right now, you are my personal savior!!! Thank you so very much! I wish I would have read this tomorrow. I feel like I could miss that appointment as of right now. I know it's just 5 days but it feels like forever!
    DravenDomnq likes this.

How long will it take to figure out the Pain question.

Wow, my "buddy" just showed up with 42 Pills I was strong enough this time! But that was hard. I could not think of one good reason to say no. Family, money, nothing... but I did anyway. God I pray he does not come back today. I am sure I could not say no again.
    Catrina, DravenDomnq and Elcey like this.

How long will it take to figure out the Pain question.
    There is no definitive time but I would say give it at least a month or two? If you read around the forums you will see others that have said that their pain level is substantially less now that they're off the opiates and that over the counter pain medication works just as well if not better than the opiates did!

As far as your "buddy" goes, let him know you're done and not to call or come around anymore! Delete all drug contacts from your phone, cut off all ties with those people! Stay STRONG and stay POSITIVE! It will get easier, STAY THE COURSE!!! Good luck... God bless us all!

PS
    One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough!
    Elcey and DravenDomnq like this.

Good morning Ricky,

A quick question. What do you think about a "buddy" that has been in your life, well for most of it! He is family! But going through his own journey, that does not include getting clean?

Also my appointment is in 47 minutes! My doctors office is 34 minutes from my home. I am currently on the couch drinking hot tea, reading the forums!

Thank you for that Ricky!
    DravenDomnq likes this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Sserts, welcome to the forums!! I think it's amazing that you were able to tell your friend "no", shows an incredible amount of strength! Finally caught up with your thread, and think you're doing great!! I had to cancel my last doctors appointments because I knew I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of going. Would have been about day 9 for me when I would have had another appointment, and I know that particular doctor didn't want me going cold turkey, so would have definitely given me something. Regardless of what you do, think you're doing really well! Hope you have a GREAT day!!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Draven, Thannk you so much for the words of strength! I skipped it, was to much of a coward to leave the house thought my car would find the way to the doc office lol. It's funny it's called Pain management but it has never helped me manage anything!

As far as my "friend" he has been my best friend most of my life he thinks we should quit tomorrow

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Draven, Thannk you so much for the words of strength! I skipped it, was to much of a coward to leave the house thought my car would find the way to the doc office lol. It's funny it's called Pain management but it has never helped me manage anything!

As far as my "friend" he has been my best friend most of my life he thinks we should quit tomorrow
    Hi Richard,

You are doing fantastic, my friend. Your head is screwed on straight so put your energy into keeping it there. YAY for skipping your doctor's appointment. I know exactly what you mean about your car. Mine had a mind of its own too--a lot!

Three things I would like to share with you. The first is cravings. When a craving hits, stop whatever you're doing and get still. Acknowledge it and then move on. (At first you'll be stopping quite a bit. ) The second is habit. Several weeks after I got clean, I found myself reaching into my medicine cabinet for a couple of Advil. Mid-reach I caught myself and asked why? Why did I need those Advil? The answer is that I didn't. It was just another facet of my addiction--the need to take something. Anything. I put the bottle back. That part of the habit was easy once I recognized it. Finally, pain control. Like so many of us here, my addiction started with some legitimate medical issues that began at a particularly difficult time in my life. The perfect storm. I was a goner. Anyway, once I got clean and then got a handle on the M&M's aka Advil, I decided to give that stopping thing another try for a different reason. I'd take my Advil, Aleve, etc. and wait for 20 minutes and then I'd stop whatever I was doing to analyze how I felt. Was I still in pain? Was the pain any better? The answer turns out is almost always that the over-the-counter stuff that I scoffed at for so many years really does work. The problem was that at that time it didn't work the way I wanted it to work. I wanted pain relief and I wanted the buzz that would work its magic making what had been a hard day better. I wanted the pain relief and I wanted the buzz so that doing the laundry was less boring. I got honest with myself and suddenly it all made sense. Lots of stopping going on, right? When you stop unconsciously confusing pain relief with the buzz, you'll be willing to accept the relief that those over-the-counter pain relievers are giving to you. Somewhere along the way we accept that it was just a chitty day and that doing the laundry will never be anything but boring.

Your friend, your family. Not so easy to cut those people out of our lives and we shouldn't. The people we love are not disposable. My adult son is an active H addict. He actually began abusing all kinds of things long before I did. Here's how it worked for me. After many attempted detoxes, something finally clicked and I will give much credit to this Forum. I went from hopeless to inspired. I read day after day as other members were beating their addiction one day at a time. That term always seemed so simple to me. It was just a series of words that made a sentence, a mantra. Something. Until during my last detox in January of 2010 and I found myself watching the clock and promising myself that I would get through the next 15 minutes. About a week into it, I was painting my face and took notice of my eyes. Where did those come from?!? That day I took extra time to admire my large pupils in sparkling blue eyes. I said aloud, "I will not use today." AHA! So that's what that means.

Back to your friend. Early on in my recovery, I unfortunately tried to become his savior. What the h*ll was I thinking? I needed every ounce of energy to save myself. I'd give pep talks full of love and understanding. After all, I was in the same boat--please hop in with me and we'll do this together. That went on for awhile before it turned into begging--"If I can do it, anyone can!". How quickly I was able to dismiss my dozens of failures and in spite of my other family members begging me to get help, I didn't. Amazing. From there I began to look at my son and was utterly humiliated that what I was looking at was the mirror image of myself and not that long ago. How could I have not known or cared? For a time I thought I'd never be able to get beyond my shame. Then I did. Seven years and at least a another two or three handfuls of detoxes offered up by my son I finally know and understand that he has his journey and I have mine. I love him and there is little to nothing that I wouldn't do to help him. What I understand now is that there is nothing I can do to help him with his addiction. Nothing. I have cried myself a river (isn't there a song about that?), have spent more nights that I can even guess sitting by his side as he detoxed crying for him. Praying that there could be something I could do to make a difference. Pacing the floors worrying about where he was and if he'd make it home alive. Finally the epiphany. If I continued down this road by either trying to do his work or allow it to cause myself to relapse, there would be two lives lost in the name of addiction. The short version is to always remember not to judge your friend and to love him in spite of the fact that you have each chosen different roads. Don't direct his journey and don't allow him to direct your's.

Life requires a lot of acceptance and it comes in a lot of different forms.

Peace,

Cat

Elcey is offline Member

Hi Richard, I've just read your thread and say Welcome!! as well. This is a place for great sharing and tons of inspiration and information (thanks to Ricky and Cat via this. Wonderful to read what you just replied Cat.)

I'm just a newbie myself at Day 9, but wanted to mention to not be too hard on 12 step programs, whether AA or NA. I have been sober from alcohol for well over 10 years, all thanks to AA and the support and friendships I made there (and yes, the 12 step program). Haven't tried NA yet but now with my new-found addiction to pain kills, it's something I'll be doing. All you have to do is go to an open meeting and try and listen with an open mind. That's how I started.

I'm really happy you're seeking to rid yourself of pills and will hope to read more posts from you. And congrats on turning away those out-of-the-blue ones from your friend. That takes guts man - good on you. Hope your withdrawals remain as easy on you as they've been so far. The mental is the tough part for me sometimes. But that's what this forum is for - we get thru it.
    Elcey
    DravenDomnq likes this.

I am dying today! There is just some morbid part of me that just wants to make myself burn I guess! Back to day 1!!!!

I am so mad at myself! I can't even see straight. Here I am getting complimented for something and before I see it... sorry

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I am so mad at myself! I can't even see straight. Here I am getting complimented for something and before I see it... sorry
    Richard,

I've been worried about you. So. You slipped. Pft. Take a deep breath and let it go. Hanging onto it and beating yourself up will solve absolutely nothing. How many days were you back at it and how much? It's a step backward but trust me, I've been where you are so many times I can probably predict what's in store for you in the next few days. I need more of an update., The noise of that bat you're using on your head is distracting me.

Peace,

Cat