• 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Jake143
Was going to do a week long methadone taper now I'm worried
    Ce2700 is offline Junior Member

Default Was going to do a week long methadone taper now I'm worried

Okay so I have had no luck with subs. They seem to work for everyone but me. I tied again this week using Roberts method and just can't seem to stabilize I run a company and had to come off due to all the time I was loosing. Well I got some methadone and was going to try a week taper
    30mg
    30mg
    Off or something to that effect assuming it works. Problem is I'm also dealing with Xanax I take roughly 5 mg a day. I have a crazy high oxy tolerance was doing 600mg a day I got it down to 270 mg yesterday. Didn't feel great but not horrible. Now I start reading all the horror stories about methadone and Xanax interaction I can take less Xanax but not completely stop during this process. Due to dependency issues with that as well.

What recommendations are there for a person like me. I really need and want this I'm afraid to take my normal dosing while using the methadone. Idk what to do I do have a high opiate and Xanax tolerance already but don't know if the interaction with methadone is much different. Or should I be ok?

Anyone advice >>'s much wanted

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ce2700 View Post
    Anyone advice >>'s much wanted
    Sorry you're are not getting any responses yet. The weekends are slow in the forums. I don't have any real solid advice for you regarding the methadone and what you are wanting to do with it, but I will say that methadone is very strong with a long half-life and also very addictive. I believe if you try to do what you're wanting to do, you are only gonna cover up the initial oxy withdrawal and then you are going to withdrawal from the methadone? Regarding the xanax, I would tell you that you never, ever stop taking them or any benzodiazepines abruptly! It is very dangerous and can cause seizures or worse! They must be weaned off very slowly at a reduction of 5-10% a week. The Ashton Manual found online is the authority on all benzodiazepines, it outlines proper taper schedules for xanax and other benzos? I hope this helps? Be patient as others will stop by your thread to offer their help and advice? I wish you good luck! Take care... God bless us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Sorry you're are not getting any responses yet. The weekends are slow in the forums. I don't have any real solid advice for you regarding the methadone and what you are wanting to do with it, but I will say that methadone is very strong with a long half-life and also very addictive. I believe if you try to do what you're wanting to do, you are only gonna cover up the initial oxy withdrawal and then you are going to withdrawal from the methadone? Regarding the xanax, I would tell you that you never, ever stop taking them or any benzodiazepines abruptly! It is very dangerous and can cause seizures or worse! They must be weaned off very slowly at a reduction of 5-10% a week. The Ashton Manual found online is the authority on all benzodiazepines, it outlines proper taper schedules for xanax and other benzos? I hope this helps? Be patient as others will stop by your thread to offer their help and advice? I wish you good luck! Take care... God bless us all!
    Thanks so much for replying. I know that about Xanax that's why I'm concerned. I was going to take the methadone for a week tops and then quit everything. I've read the horror stories been googling for days. I'm just hoping for the best it seems like at a will taper in lyrically safe for the physical dependency part of methadone from what I've read. In just worried if 30mg will handle my huge tolerance and if I can continue my Xanax at lower doses as I know I can't just quit abruptly. That's my next demon to battle

Any other words of advise. I'm planning inn starting this tomorrow. I've been on these pills far too long. A week ago i was using 600mg daily as of nogetw I can get by on 280 mg oxy this was after dying for 3 days in subutex. I just don't can't seem to stabilize on subs. I've tried 3 times now. It's like everyone else I know feels great after day 1 on subs and I'm dying inn bed. Btw I wated to start induction at a solid 28 o.k. the cowls scale. I was in full withdrawal without a doubt.

I think just because my habit is so big the subs don't work overnight for me. I'm hoping done for a week might help Idk I know that it used to be the way back in the 90's to detox. So I'm hoping for some stabilizing and tapering fast as to not get hooked on the done.

I can handle the mental part just not all the other stuff as I have to run a business and when I detox even with the bupe I've always felt like dying.
    I'm really praying this will work and help

Bugsmomma is offline Member

Hey Ce,
    I'm new here and I'm on day 3 of cold turkey from a very low dose of oxy. Also 8 yrs ago I went cold turkey from 80mg of methadone that I was on for 5 months. I had no idea the hell I was in for. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I withdrew for well over a month. Not trying to scare you at all, since you are only planning on taking it for a week.

Like Ricky said, methadone is sooo strong & very addictive. You are very smart to not just stop your Xanax. I now opiates & benzos together can be dangerous, when I would take them together it knock me out.

Let's see, oh ya, I wanted to say that the highest dose of oxy that I've jumped from was a 200mg a day habit. I was acute withdrawal for about a week, with the first 3-4 days being the worst! I was also taking care of my 4 month old who had just had open heart surgery. My mom took her for my day 1 but after that I had to do it all myself. It sucked but I got through.

Would you want to just jump from the oxy? Or is that not an option?

Gods luck to you & please keep us posted!!

Much love,
    Bugsmomma
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey CE2700
    Welcome!
    So, what's your oxy dose right now? You said something about 600 mg but you can get along on 280, correct? Why not taper down as low as you can? As u know, oxy is a short acting opiate whereas methadone remains in the system quite a while. I would Never recommend that you transfer to methodone to quit the pills. It was very hard to detox i found.
    Other options exist. Have u checked out Catrina's thread? She jumped off high doses of pills and says in 5 days it's over. The symptoms are flu-like. Could you get the flu for a week since you said u had limited time off work?
    If you're on benzos, it's quite dangerous to mix methadone with them. I know many people who have died from this combination.
    Inducting onto subs can indeed be tricky. I failed my first attempt and then got inducted in hospital the next time, but i was on methadone not short acting opiates. Perhaps you can get off the pills without using either subs or methadone? I highly recommend you check out Catrina's thread & reach out to her.
    Anyhow, you've made the right decision to stop the pills. Start tapering down now. Let us know how it gies. Be careful with those benzos. Do not just stop them.
    Hang in there!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I'll throw in with the others. I have seen one case of methadone / Xanax combination that resulted in what to me is worse than death. The guy lives on - brain damaged, confined to a wheelchair, all spazzed up like cerebral palsy, in constant pain. That's him for the rest of his life and he's a young guy. Therefore I wouldn't touch methadone with a ten foot pole while still on Xanax. But you can't stop Xanax suddenly. If I were in your boat, I'd stay on a stable (reasonably low, not 600!) dose of oxy and taper off the Xanax first, but that's just me, it worked better for me to get off the benzo first.

The other option is go ahead and do a cold turkey off the oxy first and just DO IT, go to NA or AA meetings and wrap your head around being clean off opiates. Then do a really slow taper off the Xanax later. But that will require taking a week off work for "the flu". I realize you run a company and already missed time trying to get on subs but if you resolve to stop futzing around and just get it all over with you might save more time in the long run. You really need and want this, but how bad?? What are you willing to do to get free of this? Let your business go belly up? Will that be better or worse than dying early from being an addict?

Edit: I don't mean my words to be harsh, just trying to give you another perspective. Time and again people on this forum worry about not being able to work while detoxing, I myself was real big on needing to "function" and I didn't even have a job. But the truth is, that is sort of an excuse. If you really want to quit, you need to do whatever is necessary.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-30-2016 at 03:22 PM.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Conchyjoe is offline New Member

Wow, I'd like to echo previous comments and urge caution. I also urge you to try and handle one thing at a time, and not add something worse like methadone of you have the capacity to self taper. Take it as slow as you're able, but from experience, it isn't all that easy. I personally find it very, very difficult while keeping up my normal routine. My strategy is to change my environment and wean when I've become very dependent. I've done this for about 6 years now, and never once had the oportumity to talk to anyone about it besides my wife.

She is a medical professional, and annoying and unhelpful in terms of guidance. But beloved as my sole support. Medical professionals are some of the worst people to help you with these issues, although I'm sure there are some that are better. Most are super judgemental and patients that are drug seekers don't get serious medical care all the time, the nurses whisper about them in break rooms and docs too. They're just humans, some completely inept behind their passable technical abilities. She has pushed me to use methadone or subutex but I don't really need them if I can get away and wean down. It helps to go to countries where it is hard to access. I am far from rich. This has tried to destroy my life, well the injury(s) I guess really precipitated that. But then you are hurt and have this illness. Dependence or addiction,and what it does to your body and mind.

I have a lot of compassion for what you're doing. I'm weaning successfully now and doing very well, I just get discouraged with pain. I have buckets of pills at my finger tips, oxy and hydros, and boredom combined with pain is poison. If you are running a company, and you've told yourself that these pills are why you are able to keep it up, then you need to look deeply at whether it's worth it. I left a dream job of many years because I knew I could never do it without the help of pills. Not always a steady rich diet of them, but cycling up and down some depending on physical - and emotional I've come to learn - pain. I had no idea how much emotional pain I was covering up with pills. I've been largely on my own, have never sought help, and have just discovered this forum and registered. How incredible to talk to you all about something I've kept secret and told so few about. I just didn't want to die and it just seems certain that was the ultimate destination if I kept it up.

I have been taking Xanax for 12 years though. But because I have some panic disorder and use it for that, I've never really liked it beyond the fact that I can catch my breath when I get them and I take a really low dose. A big day would be 1.5 mg and that's when I'm in opiate withdrawal.

It's bad, but after a week it gets better. The restless legs are the worst for me. I take loperamide to handle the diarrhea, extra Xanax, even though I'm not sure it does anything meaningful for me except help w some sleep.

Man I really hope you can reduce your usage, it is a beautiful feeling. My libido is barely there while taking 15 Oxys and norcos a day but my poor (lucky) wife can attest to what happens several times a day once I get that >>>> out my system. Anyway, it's nice to have something to work for, but in general I'm far better at everything when I'm not taking all this >>>> and I bet you will too. I guess I've come to value being off meds more than being pain free and have tried to learn to live with more pain. Easy to say. It's day by day.

Please be careful with your combos, and with benzo step down as others have said. What stressors can you eliminate from your life that keep you medicating at such a high level? I know it can seem impossible, as it did for me. Changing work felt like I'd lost everything. It's not true. It all went on just fine without me and I feel free now. Broke, but surviving, and would rather be poor than than living from scrip to scrip. Always anxious in that week leading up to renewal, wondering if I'll be cut off. I just despise something like this having control over me. Limits what I can do and where I can go. And I feel like I get second rate medical care as a result. Some docs need their license revoked. For their lack of compassion and inability to deal with patients without putting them in one box or the other. My family doc is very supportive, but we talk a lot, he sees me self taper, and I've never been over the top about early fills or any of that. Mostly I've just gotten along with my 300 pills a week, carful key counting and not backing myself into a corner.

You got this. Get help if you need it. Go away somewhere. Southeast Asia is super cheap, that is if you don't think you'll get sucked into the fruits of the golden triangle as I knew I wouldn't. I'm too much of a wuss. It's far cheaper than some treatments and far better option than a funeral. Anyway, that's what works for me, plus I'm an a$$ when I'm going through it. Other places are closer and you won't be able to get meds and if you have a full agenda, you won't be as tempted. I'm not advocating cold turkey in some far off place. But tapering. You do the math and you have to stick to it because a refill is a world away, and if you're having enough fun, going home for a refill is something you don't want to do.

Didn't mean to say so much, hope it's helpful. It really helps me to see what others are gong through. I'll be thinking about ya-
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

Yes I was taking 600 mg a day for roughly 3 months took about 1.5 years to get to that level. Problem is money had run out and so had my scripts. If I don't get these jobs I do have done I will be out of business by the end of the month.

When I run out of scripts it takes me roughly 300 dollars a day too maintain and the money train I thought would never stop has dried up. I know I can't stop Xanax cold turkey and the subs were useless to me. I can't afford to be in a body bag as I have two young boys and I am the only income and parent they have at the moment.

I can't afford to taper anymore that's the problem I'm trapped in a box I don't know how to get out of. I literally have enough oxy for tonight and supposed to be starting a job tomorrow so then I either go to the streets for more and continue trying to ween or I go ct and lose the money I need desperately or try the methadone for this week to get me threw. Idk what to do at this point. I appreciate the responses and life goes on I know.

I am basically screwed no matter what choices I make at the moment. Use the drone too get threw the first week and possibly kill myself because I have a Benzo habit as well. Go ct and not fulfill my obligations or my bills, or continue to get oxy I can't afford and hope for the best continuing to ween Idk there is no right answer for me at the moment. I know I have to show up for my business tomorrow one way or another. Like I said a week ago I was taking 600mg went on subs for 3 days and came back on as I couldn't get stable fast enough but at a much lower dose for me. Roughly half 270-300mg a day I am fairly stable on but the money is all out I was really hoping to get threw this week with the done but I guess that's not right either. Ughhhh so mad I'm in this position I had 11years clean at one point and have it away.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

If you take methadone because it sounds like you feel there is no other option
    I would start low 10 mg -15 mg
    Methadone is not like oxy and the problem is people chase the high..
    I was up to 150-175 mg of methadone and still no high ..
    But if you can discipline yourself and take 20 mg the 1st day
    And stay there a day or 2
    Just get through the withdrawals..
    You will because you have zanex too..
    I would just do a 5 day taper of methadone..
    Short acting opiates wds are the worst for 3-5 days..
    Methadone is very strong ..
    I got on it for a huge pill habit too..
    It took 10 years to get off..
    But now 2 years off of it..
    I would not stay on it very long because it is
    Very hard to get off of if you develop a dependance..
    If you are going do it
    Start small.
    Just enough to function..
    Honestly 50 mg does not feel that much different that 20 mg..
    I was chasing a high that never. Came..
    I wrote to you last week it the post disappeared..
    Maybe because I said methadone is for herrrrrrrooooiinn..
    Idk but please be careful..
    I would only take the zanex when you have to stay awake because that is the danger people go to sleep and never wake up
    Take care
    Bette
    Last edited by Anonymous; 05-30-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    Ming23 and Stell76 like this.

Wow, don't know what to tell you. Maybe keep reading and researching. If there is a safe way to get on methadone while taking Xanax, it would be under doctor supervision. I agree with you that because of your boys you can't risk ending up in a body bag. No matter what else happens, your life and health needs to come first. So sorry you are in this situation. Maybe a solution will present itself tomorrow, if you can just get through the job tomorrow and then take it from there. I'm out of ideas.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluv2smile View Post
    If you are going do it
    Start small.
    Just enough to function..

Idk but please be careful..
    I would only take the zanex when you have to stay awake because that is the danger people go to sleep and never wake up
    Take care
    Bette
    Bette I hope this one stays up, IF a person is going to do it, best advice to go very low and careful with the dose. The problem with methadone is that it will easily affect your breathing and there is a fine line between an effective dose and one that will stop your breathing and kill you. Even without combining with a benzo this is a danger so your caution to NEVER "chase a high" with methadone is spot on.

Just started with 10mg methadone hoping that keeps things at bay. Boo Xanax yet. I will take a quarter on a little while normally I'd take a half a bar to start the day.

Good luck today Ce!!
    Keep us posted, I will be thinking of you today!!

Much love,
    Maggie

Thanks so much I'll be popping in here and there I have nobody else to talk with. I'm trying to stay at a minimum dose. And praying to God my Benzo and opiate tolerance keep me alive and small dose of methadone gets me threw the day. I'm really praying I took half my normal morning dose ox Xanax .5mg normally it'd take 1mg and I took 10mg methadone off I need I'll take another 5 and at most 20mg methadone today.

I'm hoping I can get threw the day and do what I have to do

I luv2smile I normally take 3mg Xanax art bed time should I take less and earlier then bed time I don't want to take my Xanax and die in my sleep but I normally take it at bedtime

So far so good. Starting to yawn allot and some bone pain nothing unmanageable yet. Went out did what I had to at work.

Now I'm just bored. Not good but I am committed to doing this

Hey Ce,

I'm glad you are doing good! I'm glad you got your work done! I got out this morning & took my daughter on a long walk. It was hard but felt good.

I'm on day 4. I'm exhausted and achy too. I'm reading the "your brain on opiates" thread and it's pretty interesting!!

You are doing great!! Keep on fighting, I know it's going to be so worth it!!

I'm actually getting ready to take a really hot bath, they help me relax and help with the aches.

Much love,
    Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsmomma View Post
    Hey Ce,

I'm glad you are doing good! I'm glad you got your work done! I got out this morning & took my daughter on a long walk. It was hard but felt good.

I'm on day 4. I'm exhausted and achy too. I'm reading the "your brain on opiates" thread and it's pretty interesting!!

You are doing great!! Keep on fighting, I know it's going to be so worth it!!

I'm actually getting ready to take a really hot bath, they help me relax and help with the aches.

Much love,
    Maggie
    Yeah I'm Starting to hurt pretty good. I don't know if I should take another 10mg I think I probably should as I have another appointment at 2:30 and Starting to hurt pretty bad

Yes if you take another 10 mg that will put you at 20 mg for the day .
    I would not take 3 mg of zanex at bedtime..
    This weeks is spot on about fine line between breathing not breathing..
    If you have taken only .5 mg of zanex today.
    Maybe just take the 0.5 mg ..
    But not together.

I would take your .5 mg and then wait to go to sleep..

You would be surprised how little we really need..

You are going be ok
    Because you have that healthily fear..
    Your situation is not ideal
    But I do understand something must be done..
    You are almost through your 1st day
    Congratulations..

Try some excedrin
    It works ..

The methadone is only for the withdrawals..
    You have the zanex for anxiety
    Which most people say is the main complaint..
    Just keep posting so we know you are ok ..
    I will check back
    Bete
    Catrina likes this.

How are you doing Ce? Hopefully feeling ok? Hope your day went well!
    Listen to Bette, she knows what she's talking about!!

Much love,
    Maggie

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hope you check in Ce. Awesome that you have Bette watching over you. I'm sitting in the cheer leading section for your situation. Fortunately for me, I have no experience with methadone. So rah rah and all that good stuff. You've just about made it through this day.

Bette has your back and it doesn't get much better than that!

Peace,

Cat
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Hi there..
    Thank you Cat..
    Fe
    Please check in and let us know how you are..
    We are worried about you..
    Bette

Jake143 is offline New Member

Default Xanax

If it were up to me I would change ever taking xanax real quick and in a hurry. I've heard of opiate withdraws, which are what is usually described as horible. Addicts, they are doing anything not to get sick. I got addicted to xanax and it took me over two years to get where I could go without at least 1mg a day. If I would not have been in the position to take time from work and family my life could have been effected beyond the p.s.d. from the withdraws. Every symptom of withdraw from opiates for 30 months, not 30 days. I support the taking of psych meds reluctantly, but when all else fails. But xanax, that's a road if you go down you really might not come back.
    Thisweekforsure likes this.