Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By overlyanxious
Going off norco and morphine
    overlyanxious is offline New Member

Default Going off norco and morphine

Hi everyone. I have been taking two norco 10-325s and two morphine 15mg a day... I take them for debilitating migraines that don't respond to typical migraine medication or preventatives. I'm under the care of my pain clinic, but I want to get off all this and sort of "reset" my body, if that makes sense? It started with 1 norco and 1 morphine but had to go up to 2 of each to get pain relief and that just makes me uneasy, especially because I can fully function while on them, and if I have to go to ER for pain meds it takes at least two rounds of iv diluadid to break through the pain. I'm concerned about my tolerance to pain meds, and that I'm essentially causing my own migraines at this point. I'm TERRIFIED of going through withdrawal. How long will it last? Will it be awful even with a smaller dose? How bad will it be? I'm just very nervous. It's been about 36hrs since I took either, and so far just diarrhea, sweaty and a bit anxious....

The Husband is offline Member

Shouldn't be to bad. Day 3-4 will be the worst. Consider yourself lucky the dose was low

I've been on them for about a year. I'm noticing the restless legs now... does that go away?

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Is the morphine the long acting oral formula? The dose you are on is small compared to most people who post here, but if you have never taken higher amounts, and never gone through withdrawal before, it could be a frightening experience and while it will be mild compared to others' withdrawals, it will feel severe to you in the middle of it. Don't let that scare you! It is not dangerous. The anxiety and fear of it is part of the drug effect itself, in addition to being an unknown. But the fear can be worse than the actual experience.

It is like having the flu. It is possible your feelings of being sweaty and anxious and the diarrhea will be most of what you go through. You may or may not have nausea and vomiting. But I never vomited and I quit cold turkey from approximately the same level you are at. It is very doable and nothing to fear. But you might expect to not be able to work or function much (like you had the flu) for a few days.

Yes the restless legs goes away after you are through the process. Normally the worst unpleasant symptoms are gone within 5 days. Maybe 7 at the most if you are on a long release morphine, but you may have lingering fatigue for another week. You should rapidly feel better after that.

I completely understand you wanting to "reset" your system. That's a good way to put it, I wanted the exact same thing. I wanted to see what my baseline pain and function was, without any drugs in my system. It was a wonderful thing to do and I am doing better now. The opiates helped me through a very difficult time but I don't believe it is good to stay on them for too long. It's better like you say to reset your brain's normal chemistry. Congratulations on the decision, I think you will be happy with the results. But be patient, it could be a rough few days. For me, day 5 was a big turnaround, and I rapidly got better after that.

Well I spent last night throwing up, hot and cold, and restless/painful legs with a horrible migraine... not feeling a ton better today, either. The morphine is immediate release, would that make the withdrawal any easier? It's been just about 48hrs... I last took them Sunday around 8am... Hoping this doesn't drag out too long!

Pharmer724 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by overlyanxious View Post
    Well I spent last night throwing up, hot and cold, and restless/painful legs with a horrible migraine... not feeling a ton better today, either. The morphine is immediate release, would that make the withdrawal any easier? It's been just about 48hrs... I last took them Sunday around 8am... Hoping this doesn't drag out too long!
    Stick with it! I just got on this forum because I want to get off Percocet 10/325. I would rather taper but your story gives me inspiration regardless.

Thanks! I sure don't feel like anything inspirational right now! It really is like the worst flu ever. I'm hoping that since I was on such a low dose that this will be as bad as it gets. My knees and legs hurt really bad and I still have diarrhea, hot and cold flashes and a headache, but it seems like the vomiting has stopped. The symptoms seem to come and go in waves, though.

This feels like it's only getting worse, not better... I'm starting to think I can't do this.....

Hang in there if you can make it to Thursday night your w/d should start to get less intense and on Friday you should be feeling noticeable better. But be aware Wednesday is gonna suck...

I don't have a choice but to keep going... I have no more pills and I refuse to go to er and get pain meds just to go through this again. I'm just scared it's not gonna stop. I guess I didn't expect it to be this bad since it was such a low dose and when I quit smoking cold turkey, I was just fine.

That's good to hear i guarantee you that it's not gonna last for ever but while in the middle of w/d time goes very slow literally the 7-10 days I was in acute w/d from OxyContin felt like atleast a month. But like the old saying goes what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! Make your stand now and beat the demon opiates. God bless

If the vomiting and diarrhea has subsided, am I still destined to go through it again tomorrow with that being day 3? Right now I'm just nauseous, achey, and have a killer migraine....

Ugh. I guess so. This is supposed to be the worst day, right?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

If the vomiting and diarrhea has subsided, am I still destined to go through it again tomorrow with that being day 3? Right now I'm just nauseous, achey, and have a killer migraine....
    Get yourself some Immodium available at almost any pharmacy for the diarrhea and upset stomach. It works great! I tried the pills first when I was detoxing and they didn't help that much. Someone suggested I try the Immodium "liquid" and it made a world of difference for ME. Many here use it and say it helps.

You're gonna have to make this a fight - you against the drugs. Your brain is telling your system that taking a small dose of your drug of choice will make everything ok again. So going to the ER to get something will only put you right back at the start. You know that.

Just have to really want this bad. More than anything else. The symptoms WILL pass soon. Don't give up and don't give in. You can beat this and change your life! All the best to you.

Have you considered support group meetings such as NA or AA? Either will give you face to face support with other addicts that may be just what you need right now!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.

I'm on day 3... I haven't thrown up yet, but the diarrhea is still there. I've been taking pepto..... I took myself off them because I wanted to reset my body.... just wish my body would be on board instead of against me!

You are in the thick of it right now batten down the hatches and by tomorrow evening you should start feeling better. You will know the w/d is going away when your not nauseous and no more diarrhea I never threw up much during w/d. Try get some NyQuil and sleep if possible today and tomorrow.

Tummy is still a little upset but have been able to keep down soup and crackers along with Gatorade. Diarrhea seems to be less frequently, too.... does this mean the end of this is near?

Tummy is still a little upset but have been able to keep down soup and crackers along with Gatorade. Diarrhea seems to be less frequently, too.... does this mean the end of this is near?
    Is it normal for the anxiety/feeling short of breath to be happening now? It seems to come and go in waves, but I guess I figured that'd be gone too...

melindau is offline Member

Is it normal for the anxiety/feeling short of breath to be happening now? It seems to come and go in waves, but I guess I figured that'd be gone too...
    It is very normal to go thru what your going thru right now! give it some time and things will settle down!remember to tell yourself everything will be ok and that you will be able to take charge of your life again!it really is a great feeling when you get off the drugs....kinda like IM FREE!!! I wanted to drop by and give you some support and tell you what a great job your doing!
    Melinda

Thank you all so much for your support! I'm happy to say I made it through! Holy cow those were a rough four days! But so incredibly worth it! I'm fairly certain I'm a huge wimp, so if I can survive it, anyone can!
    melindau likes this.

Hi overlyanxious
    could you do me a favor and talk to the thread oxycodine w/d help... I think your story would help them so much!!!
    Thank you ,Melinda

The oxy wd question one?

yep you found it! thank you! sometimes it helps if someone else that is close to where there are in there recovery to talk them so they dont feel alone...
    Melinda