• 1 Post By wasabisabi
  • 2 Post By tiredofbeingfaced
  • 1 Post By silverlining1
  • 2 Post By crazyfrog
  • 1 Post By niecer
  • 2 Post By niecer
  • 1 Post By Jkdimsdale
  • 1 Post By Pixiepoxie
Has anyone ever had a successful long-term relationship with oxycodone?
    summer_breeze is offline New Member

Default Has anyone ever had a successful long-term relationship with oxycodone?

Hi there. I have the opportunity to be prescribed oxycodone for chronic pain due to a heart condition. The actual reason for the prescription would be chest pain, but the main reason I benefit from oxycodone is that it helps with other issues I have. I usually feel uncomfortable in my body. I'm always tried, groggy, and slow. I feel as if I'm always weighed down by something. Oxycodone lifts this weight and makes me feel like what I imagine normal people feel like. I was on it for 3 months consecutively and during that time I performed better at work, made better use of my time at home by doing things like free online classes, and was in general more happy and comfortable. It was honestly the best 3 months of my life, and I didn't need to raise the dose *much* to get the desired effect.

The problem is, it's hard not to abuse. I was prescribed 180 pills a month and it felt like so many that I felt like it was no big deal to take an extra one here or there to feel even better than usual. And I feel like that's the only reason I needed to raise the dose at all; because of my own mistakes taking more than I was supposed to.

But I want to know, if I was able to have complete self control, and only take the pills when I really needed them, is it possible to be on oxycodone long-term without raising the dose? Probably not. What do they do to get around this for people with permanent pain issues? I wouldn't mind taking one day off a week if that would keep my tolerance down, but I'm sure that's not enough.

My biggest fear would be the doctor suddenly saying, "You've been on this too long, it's time to get off," and denying me a prescription. I know there's a huge stigma associated with this medication and if I said "I can't just quit, I will need help," the doctor would probably just kick me out on my ass. And then I'd probably lose my job and everything.

Sooooo, my question is, does anyone have an experience where they were able to be on oxycodone for legitimate reasons, long-term without it spiraling out of control? If yes, please describe. If the answer is no, how long were you on it before you lost control and what do you believe caused you to lose control?

Poppy Girl 37 is offline Member

Oh summer breeze, I am so glad that you are here today asking this question. I hope that we are able to save you some of the pain and grief that we have gone through and are still going through. I wish I had asked. I wish I had known how incredibly dangerous this "medication" is.
    I still remember all those feelings you are describing. Finally feeling whole, feeling normal, having energy and being relaxed without anxiety. It really was a miracle. It made everything better.
    My first prescription came home with me after a minor emergency procedure in the ER. I probably only would have needed 10 pills but they gave me 60. I was also going thru a divorce and happened to notice that when I was on the pills I didn't feel any of the pain and anxiety I normally felt. Within the first two weeks and before I got to the bottom of the first bottle I had taken them to help me relax, and to ease anxiety, not because I was in pain. I remember the first time vividly. I can tell you everything I did that night even though it was over 10 years ago. It wasn't a problem yet. It only happened a couple of times and a half a bottle of pills still set in my cabinet for a year or two. Then 3 yrs later, I developed a herniated disc and severe degeneration in many others. I had a a steady prescription and the same thing happened. After the initial incident, I probably only needed 10 pills per month but I took them all. I felt so happy and at peace on half of a 5mg hydrocodone back then. How on earth could that small of an amount be a problem? So I took one every night. What a miracle for a lifelong insomniac with RLS! I felt like such a great wife on it. I got so much done and was always in a good mood. Surely with all of those benefits, taking a whole pill each day was nothing too big. Im guessing that was maybe 3-4 months after getting that guaranteed steady supply. Then when I had real pain I needed more than one. One was my baseline. But if I was really hurting, it was totally fine to take two right? But then the one regular pill didn't do what it used to. I went to 2 pills a day. Real pain meant more. I spent a few rough years trying to stay within the limits of my prescription and often failed. At the end of each month I got to go through mini wds for a few days while waiting for my next script. Somewhere in that second year the joy faded too. Now I needed them. I planned everything around them. This cycle continued and a search for something natural led me to my current DOC. When I started tapering 2 months ago I would compare my dose to well over 100mg of hydrocodone a day. Half a pill used to make me feel AMAZING. About four years later I needed 10 or more to keep out of withdrawal. Needing that much just to function is terrifying. A few months ago I was waking up every day in a sweaty panic attack and often vomiting daily. I'm still fighting my way out of that hell. Im 3/4 of the way to clean. It's already been the hardest fight of my life.
    In case you're picturing some strung out junkie on the street, let me tell you. I function quite well. I hold a very respectable, job in my community. Ive never bought pills on the street or illegally. Didn't bankrupt myself or ruin my relationships. I don't steal. I have a decent home and car and appear relatively healthy. I don't for one second think that makes me better or any less of an addict than people who have done those things, but it sure is easy to tell yourself that if you're functioning well, you don't have a problem. I told myself that for years.
    I wish more than anything that I could go back and not take that first pill. I wish I could skip the first one took to relax and I really wish >> never convinced my doctor to give me a regular prescription.
    I am only one person and your experiences could wind up being totally different than mine, but if there's any chance on earth that I can save you from going down the road that I am currently on then I want to do that. I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

I wish you luck with your decision.
    Thank you for the opportunity to share my story.

Poppy

wasabisabi is offline Member

Poppy Girl, you are a sweetheart. Thank you for sharing your story.

Summerbreeze - she's right you know. Many of us here thought that opioids solved everything....at first. It never ends up pretty though, after the honeymoon. You even said it yourself - that in 3 months you didn't need to raise the dose *much* to achieve the desired effects.... what about after 3 years? Or 10 years? Then what? I wish you all the best. There has to be a better way.
    Jkdimsdale likes this.

tiredofbeingfaced is offline New Member

Summer, I work with a guy who gets 150 10 mg oxys and 240 15 mg morphine instant release and 30 morphine extended release and has since 2002. He has experienced all the negatives that we all do plus he was supplying me for 3 years so that taxed his reserves and he would have to worry about me having enough pills to prevent detox over the weekends or when I went on vacation etc. The biggest downsides are the constant counting pills/days until refill, worrying about if the script will get filled quickly (he was workers comp) so they would occasionally play games with filling them and paying the cost. Eventually you lose interest in everything except those pills. (sex life suffers, work life suffers, family life suffers, all you want to do is plan your pills and sit around and try to milk the good feeling for as long as you can (which gets less and less) some including myself resort to crushing them up instead of taking them orally. I can't comment on the pain management side, I was a recreational addict. He does say when he detox's every couple of years just to keep his mind over the pills his original pain is very extreme. I would say ask the doctor what the long term plan is, does he want you on pills forever or are there surgeries that you can try or other non opiate based options. I only quit taking the pills literally because I could not perform sexually for my wife and it made me depressed and I started to consider if life would be better out from underneath the spell of the pills. That answer was a big yes for now but I am only 7 days clean. I have to convince myself everytime I see my hook up that its not worth it. Good luck in whatever you decide, if you want to get off them you can but it gets harder the longer you are on them and the more you take. For me telling my father (not my spouse) and my brother that I had a problem helped hold me accountable but it started with reading and realizing how bad off I was and how much of a slave to the pills I had become.
    silverlining1 and Jkdimsdale like this.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

You have had some honest answers, Summer......it is heartbreaking.

If I could go back.....I would never have taken that first 1/4 of a little blue pill. I had no idea how it would change my life, and not for the best.

Whatever you decide, we all pray for you to find peace.
    Jkdimsdale likes this.

crazyfrog is offline Banned

The stories told so far are pretty much everyone's outcome. Lololol! No joke!
    I started the same way. Wisdom tooth out and given 30 lortabs [5/500]. I never used before. First pill didn't do nothing to the pain but boy did it make me feel soo good! I said, "I'll same these for Fridays only! " so i did for about 3 months. I had control. Then when a personal issue rised, i said "i need a Lortab ". And poof! Made me care less for anything and i was in heaven. Then it moved to Fridays and maybe in the middle of the week dose. Then it moved to moday through friday. Then to everyday 1 pill. Then to everyday 1 pill in the morning and 1 pill in the evening. Then 1pill in the morning, 1 pill at lunch and 1pill at evening. Then morning , lunch,evening and bed time. Then. ... 1 pill wasnt doing the happy job no more. So i increaded the dose to 2 pills. Fast forward to 2 years on this pattern. I was at 4 doses of 2 1/3 lorcets through out the day and sometimes 5 doses. It was NEVER enough. Fast forward 8 years, i was hit with the "no more pills, too dangerous. ... you must wean now and this is the last refill. My god! I went into panic mode. Denial , anger and scared to death about not having these pills. I looked and looked for new docs. Found one but he is 7 hours away. I used him for months since i only had to see him once every 3 months. But then the law changed. I had to see him monthly. So to get my scripts i had to spend 320$ a month to get it. I got so tired of the trips that I dumped the doc. Plus i just couldn't keep paying 320$ a month! Thats a nice BMW payment. Fak that!lollolol. So. .. i hit up my local doc for a few more refills and got it only 2 more times.then doc said "absolutely no more". I didn't want to get red flagged so i told him that he is correct and thank you. Never bothered him again. So now. .. fast forward 5 months and ive been finally clean of the pill. I feel sooo normal. I sleep well, eat well,think well and gained weight with muscle mass. Everyone says i look so healthy. Sure... ill get a craving here and there but nothing compared to the hell of the first month.lol. that left a scar in my mind. So my advice , dont take them. I know lif was the best for the 3 months you were in it, but it always catches up and faks you hard.lolol. the way i look at it now is, taking any opiate is like borrowing happiness from tomorrow. And the more you borrow, the less happiness you will experience when you are forced to stop.and is not days. .. its weeks and months. Being 5 months clean for me has been great honestly, but i do miss the extrene happiness the pills gave me. I sometimes think about the happiness and think about searching for a new doc and it drices me crazy. But that's the price in paying still. I heard you need at least 6 months clean to get over this mental hump and then another 6 months to fully recover. Geeezzzz! Lol.

stay away.
    Pixiepoxie and Jkdimsdale like this.

niecer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by summer_breeze View Post
    Hi there. I have the opportunity to be prescribed oxycodone for chronic pain due to a heart condition. The actual reason for the prescription would be chest pain, but the main reason I benefit from oxycodone is that it helps with other issues I have. I usually feel uncomfortable in my body. I'm always tried, groggy, and slow. I feel as if I'm always weighed down by something. Oxycodone lifts this weight and makes me feel like what I imagine normal people feel like. I was on it for 3 months consecutively and during that time I performed better at work, made better use of my time at home by doing things like free online classes, and was in general more happy and comfortable. It was honestly the best 3 months of my life, and I didn't need to raise the dose *much* to get the desired effect.

The problem is, it's hard not to abuse. I was prescribed 180 pills a month and it felt like so many that I felt like it was no big deal to take an extra one here or there to feel even better than usual. And I feel like that's the only reason I needed to raise the dose at all; because of my own mistakes taking more than I was supposed to.

But I want to know, if I was able to have complete self control, and only take the pills when I really needed them, is it possible to be on oxycodone long-term without raising the dose? Probably not. What do they do to get around this for people with permanent pain issues? I wouldn't mind taking one day off a week if that would keep my tolerance down, but I'm sure that's not enough.

My biggest fear would be the doctor suddenly saying, "You've been on this too long, it's time to get off," and denying me a prescription. I know there's a huge stigma associated with this medication and if I said "I can't just quit, I will need help," the doctor would probably just kick me out on my ass. And then I'd probably lose my job and everything.

Sooooo, my question is, does anyone have an experience where they were able to be on oxycodone for legitimate reasons, long-term without it spiraling out of control? If yes, please describe. If the answer is no, how long were you on it before you lost control and what do you believe caused you to lose control?
    I took pain pills for 30+ years and never took more than 10 mg / a day. I never went to a doctor to get them. I just got them from whoever had them and wanted to sell them. I never raised my dose mainly because I would never have more than 10 or 20 in my possession at one time. I know my tolerance to them was high and never got a buzz from them, but taking one a day just made me feel like I could get through the day. I also know if I had 180 of them like you did, I definitely would have taken alot more. They're very easy to abuse.
    My suggestion is if you're worried I would set forth a plan to try v and taper down.
    If you absolutely have to take them for the pain maybe you could make up an excuse to your doctor and tell him you're a little strapped for money and could he lower the quantity of your pills so you won't be tempted to take so many.
    I hope this helps. niecer
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

niecer is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by silverlining1 View Post
    You have had some honest answers, Summer......it is heartbreaking.

If I could go back.....I would never have taken that first 1/4 of a little blue pill. I had no idea how it would change my life, and not for the best.

Whatever you decide, we all pray for you to find peace.
    Silver...That's how I started out, 1/4 of that little blue 30mg pill......and I was paying 25 bucks a pill. Dang...how stupid was I?
    Jkdimsdale and Pixiepoxie like this.

Jkdimsdale is offline New Member

I totally agree with previous comment.. Mine started at 13 when I had tonsils removed then wisdom teeth... I was a fully addicted by 16, and didn't realize it til I was 18... My whole life(32 now) I've been a slave to opiates. For legitimate reasons... That's how it all starts... Soon u will be doing anything u have to just to not be pill sick... I've NEVER KNOWN ANYONE TO BE ABLE TO "successfully" take them... And I know ALOT OF PPL ON THEM... My advice to you is to find different ways/ chiropractic xare( be very choosy and do ur research to find a good 1) has been my lifesaver... Suboxone has been the only thing that's kept me clean for longer than a couple days in over 15 years...
    Pixiepoxie likes this.

Jkdimsdale is offline New Member

Pixiepoxie, how do I add friends on here?

Pixiepoxie is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jkdimsdale View Post
    Pixiepoxie, how do I add friends on here?
    Jkdlmsdale,

Hi there. I do not know how to add friends on here, or even if that is possible.

What you need to do is start your own thread. Whatever issue you are having or wanting to write about, try to go to "Need to Talk" and click on New Thread and create your own so others may find you and post to you.

I will be watching for your post!

Also, if you click on someone's name, it takes you to there "profile" page and you can find there posts etc.

i hope this helps. Let me know if you need more help!

Take care.

Forward and Onward Troops!
    Jkdimsdale likes this.