Have I relapsed?
    girlinthedress is offline New Member

Default Have I relapsed?

I am a recovering alcoholic/addict. I was physically and mentally addicted to ambien, xanax, and alcohol and I was mentally addicted to marijuana. I have been diagnosed with ADHD for years and to prevent abuse I am on concerta instead of ritalin. Concerta is a slow release methylphenidate (ritalin). I cut it in half tonight so I could take the instant release part right away. I have done this twice now in the past three months so I can study. After I did it today, I realized that it is NOT OKAY to take it not as prescribed by my addiction psychiatrist.

I am bipolar and am prescribed lamictal, cymbalta, seroquel, and trazodone. I sometimes cut my seroquel in half if I feel like I'm already tired enough and don't need it all to get to sleep. This is not taking my drug as prescribed but I never considered it that big of a deal. I treated concerta the same way today SORT OF and I am SO worried this is a relapse.

Did I relapse? I don't feel the need to do it ever again and I didn't get high or anything but I'm just so scared.

quagmir is offline New Member

I am no expert but if you don't feel the need to do it again, does it matter if you had a very short and small relapse? Dont do it again as you say and forgive yourself for being human and stop thinking about it.

You should discuss the urges with you addiction psych and the reason you wish to do it so you both can address the issue so it does not become a relapse.

Again I am no expert but I do wish you the best.

Quagmir

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by girlinthedress View Post
    a slow release methylphenidate (ritalin). I cut it in half tonight so I could take the instant release part right away. I have done this twice now in the past three months so I can study.

I am bipolar and am prescribed lamictal, cymbalta, seroquel, and trazodone. I sometimes cut my seroquel in half if I feel like I'm already tired enough and don't need it all to get to sleep.
    In both these cases what you did was adjust your medication to match your symptom and need. If the slow release ritalin is not effective enough to allow you to study, then the doctor needs to go over your regimen and possibly adjust the prescribed dose,or put you on a different med. Likewise, if the seroquel is for sleep and you don't need the whole dose, it is always best to use the least amount necessary for effect, and maybe your prescribed dose should be reduced.

You are on a lot of meds and have a complex case so no, it is not a good idea to make any changes without the doctor's approval. I agree with Quagmir, you should get back in with the doc and see if he can adjust your meds to address these issues.

In general, with psychiatric medications, it is a moving target. Sometimes you need to try several different meds or several different dose levels before you find the combination that works best, and then after a while that might change again.