Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Help
  1. #1
    melisadepressed is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default Help

    Hello everyone, I have been reading posts on this site for the last week and I must say the information I have come across is very informative. I have been taking oxycodone for the last two years because I have chronic back pain and fibromyalgia. I've gotten to the point where I was taking approximately 150mgs a day. As you all know I feel like my days were endlessly thinking about my next dosage. To make a long story short I have chronic pain but for me it was time to STOP! So Friday I took 30mgs and Saturday I took 30mgs but Sunday I had an event to go to so to get me through the day I took approx. 100mgs, Monday I took 30mgs. Here it is Tuesday and I have not taken anything for at least 24 hours. My anxiety levels are extreme and I can't sit still. I did see a Doctor Who prescribed me Suboxone and I took my first dosage tonight and so far I'm feeling A lot of relief. But as I said I do have chronic pain so although I have relief from the withdrawal symptoms I have tremendous pain. Also even though I took my first dose of Suboxone I am still on the fence about it. Please help anyone out there have serious pain and not using recreationally?

  2. #2
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    I have the same conditions and I was on daily oxycodone for several years and like you I did not use recreationally. Much like you I decided I wanted off because I hated the "endlessly thinking about my next dosage" and the other side effects like foggy brain, drying out my digestive tract and so forth. Plus, after a while it doesn't really help that much with pain and isn't worth all the hassle to stay on it. When you are a chronic pain patient and do not use it recreationally, you do still become physically dependent all the same. This results in the difficultly getting off the drug. You have all the same withdrawal symptoms and the same slow recovery after withdrawal. But if you are not an addict in the sense of being out of control, then that is reason number 1 that I don't think Suboxone is for you. Suboxone is very good for addicts who cannot control their use. It normalizes them physically so they can work on emotionally learning to live without their drugs of choice, go to support meetings, and so forth. Addicts who have been using for many, many years, or from a young age, literally do not know how to exist without their drug. They need time to adjust. You have only been on this drug two years and you have not been using recreationally, so you likely don't need that kind of re-orientation.

    So you were on 150 a day, then you took 30 for two days, then 100 because you had to go to an event, then 30 the next day. What you did was tapering. Not very consistent but that's fine. You want to get off so you dropped WAY down for a couple days. You were in withdrawal and had to go back up to get through an event but you only took 100 mg. That is only two thirds of your old dose. That's tremendous progress! If you wanted to taper off the oxy without using suboxone, you could just continue like that. Drop day to day, it's okay to go back up if needed for an event, as long as you don't go all the way back to your original level. That is how I tapered off. It was a general downward trend and yes, occasional bumps if needed for a bad day. When I finally got to 30 mg per day I decided to jump off and go cold turkey. I can tell you it was a piece of cake. Understand, I would not have said so in the middle of it!! Days 1-4 were pretty bad but by the end of day 5 I was much better and it was uphill from there.

    Now you would not be able to jump from 30 mg right now because you were all the way at 150 only a few days ago. I took weeks to taper down to 30. It was annoying. It was mild withdrawals the whole time. They say cold turkey is better because you get it over with fast. Like ripping off a Band-Aid. Well, it's also faster to dive into a pool all at once but I always have to dip the big toe, then go in one small step at a time, then walk around in waist deep water for a while, then gradually lower myself inch by inch into the water. It takes me 15 minutes to get completely wet in a swimming pool. Nuts? Yes. More suffering? Yes. Really dragging out the misery? Yes. But I do it anyway because that's me, it's just how I roll. So that's how I tapered off my oxy.

    It took two or three months of gradual improvement before I got back to regular drug free normal. There was weakness, lethargy, boredom, and a return of my pain at first. But the pain gradually improved and by the third month I was in no more pain than I was on my oxy. I will tell you the first days of withdrawal I had severe pain. But that's not how it is going to stay, your system adjusts.

    Did the doctor give you the Suboxone as a treatment for pain? Or to help you get off the oxy with the idea of tapering off the Suboxone? Either way, I still don't think that's what you want to do. Suboxone is not a good pain reliever, but it's being used that way I suppose as doctors try to find alternatives to oxy because of the situation. You won't get enough pain relief to be worth getting hooked on Suboxone. While with oxy you can choose to taper or go cold turkey, that's not true for Suboxone. You more or less must taper slowly. If you get on that you'll be committing yourself to a long taper unless you don't take it long at all. And in that case, you'll STILL have withdrawals when you stop taking it.

    You have extreme anxiety. That is very, very normal for what you did. A drop from 150 to 30 with a bump on one day, is severe withdrawal which almost by definition includes severe anxiety. Maybe it helps to know what you feel is very normal.

    Having taken a Suboxone but being on the fence about whether to continue, I would like a couple of our Sub folks to stop by and render opinions where you should go from here. I wager they'll say if you decide not to do the sub, then don't take any more. Or if you do want to do it, tell us whether you're supposed to be on it permanently for pain, or just use it to get off the oxy?
    Randy35 likes this.

  3. #3
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Clarify: When I said you would not be able to jump from 30 right now, I meant you would not be able to jump from 30 right now and it be a piece of cake. You certainly CAN jump from 30 right now if you like, but your withdrawal would be more intense than mine was.

  4. #4
    Mikeski91 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Clarify: When I said you would not be able to jump from 30 right now, I meant you would not be able to jump from 30 right now and it be a piece of cake. You certainly CAN jump from 30 right now if you like, but your withdrawal would be more intense than mine was.
    I'm an addict.. I'm fairly at 30-50mg. Most of the week I've been taking 10-30mg. I'm thinking about jumping. Do you think itll be bad if I jump at 30. I had 60mg yesterday and 50 the day before. And before that it was really low doses. But I think ima just jump.. I hate the cravings. I cave really easily. Its like every second I have to fight the craving...

  5. #5
    Randy35 is offline Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,107

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by melisadepressed View Post
    Hello everyone, I have been reading posts on this site for the last week and I must say the information I have come across is very informative. I have been taking oxycodone for the last two years because I have chronic back pain and fibromyalgia. I've gotten to the point where I was taking approximately 150mgs a day. As you all know I feel like my days were endlessly thinking about my next dosage. To make a long story short I have chronic pain but for me it was time to STOP! So Friday I took 30mgs and Saturday I took 30mgs but Sunday I had an event to go to so to get me through the day I took approx. 100mgs, Monday I took 30mgs. Here it is Tuesday and I have not taken anything for at least 24 hours. My anxiety levels are extreme and I can't sit still. I did see a Doctor Who prescribed me Suboxone and I took my first dosage tonight and so far I'm feeling A lot of relief. But as I said I do have chronic pain so although I have relief from the withdrawal symptoms I have tremendous pain. Also even though I took my first dose of Suboxone I am still on the fence about it. Please help anyone out there have serious pain and not using recreationally?

    Hello Melisa -

    Thisweekforsure gave you excellent inpout as she always does. Please answer Thisweekforsure's question and one of my own -

    How much suboxone have you taken?

    Answer those questions and we'll go from there.

    Randy
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

  6. #6
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeski91 View Post
    I'm an addict.. I'm fairly at 30-50mg. Most of the week I've been taking 10-30mg. I'm thinking about jumping. Do you think itll be bad if I jump at 30. I had 60mg yesterday and 50 the day before. And before that it was really low doses. But I think ima just jump.. I hate the cravings. I cave really easily. Its like every second I have to fight the craving...
    Okay if you've been stable at around 30-50 then yes, jumping from there won't be too bad. Please answer Randy's question about exactly how much you have taken of everything you have taken, and when you took it, in the last couple of days. We can get you through this. It's not going to be as bad as your fears. The most important thing is to resolve to do it. I understand the cravings and caving easily. There comes a point, at least for me, where I just got angry, and that kicked me into a determination that I was going to do this. At that point I did not cave to the craving, in fact, if memory serves, I don't think I had a craving once I made up my mind in that fashion. The change was this: I viewed the cold turkey withdrawal as an adventure to get through, a challenge to meet, and I prepared for it. Stocked up on delicious ginger cookies, ginger ale, chicken soup, comfy jammies, good movies and books, and looked at it like I was doing something for me.

  7. #7
    Mikeski91 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Thank you for the response. Yes I have been consistent with 30-50. Actually I took 40mg today and was higher than I usually am.
    Today I took 40mg.
    Yesterday was 30mg
    Day before 2 doses of 30mg
    Day before that was 50mg.
    Ect. 30mg
    Ect. 20mg
    All Oxycodone! I chew them.
    I need to get to that point where I really want it. Though these things devastated most of my life in a year. I'm usually a quiet person and when I'm off oxy I become more sociable. I have to get to like sober self. But I feel as if I can do it. Hardest part to me is how easy I have access to them as I was writing this I got a message from a friend saying he has them. There always 1 phone call away. But I want my life back.. Constantly thinking of them is tiring. The physical symptoms of ct aren't as bad to me because I scared myself into thinking I was going to be on the floor shaking uncontrollably for a week lol. Before I even knew about wd I went a night without and had RLS and watery eyes and didn't know why until I googled it. Then Ive been chasing the drug to avoid wd ever since.

  8. #8
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Hi Mikeski! You got me all confused. I didn't look at your name and thought you were Melisa posting again. You might want to start your own thread so to avoid mixups.

  9. #9
    Mikeski91 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    Hi Mikeski! You got me all confused. I didn't look at your name and thought you were Melisa posting again. You might want to start your own thread so to avoid mixups.
    I am Sorry

  10. #10
    Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeski91 View Post
    I am Sorry
    No problem. It takes a while to get used to this forum. A lot of people stay here a long time and in the end it is better to have your own thread because you may end up posting a lot.

  11. #11
    diamonddreame is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1

    Default How I manage my back pain

    I have a lot of bad neck pain and back pain. I have so bad that it runs up the back of my arm. I started using a Massager on my neck, back and arm. I also use a heating pad. I try to stay away from the pain pills unless I absolutely have to. The Massager and heating pad really works. Try it one day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22