Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ana Abigail
Help! I'm stopping my hydrocodone addiction cold turkey
    Ana Abigail is offline Member

Default Help! I'm stopping my hydrocodone addiction cold turkey

Hi, I really need help and guidance.
    I'm 25 and I have been on pain meds for about 4 years. It started innocently enough, I was injured and my doctor gave me a prescription for hydrocodone. He never told me that eventually my body would become immune in a way to the dose and I would need more. My downfall was a family member who know someone who sold them, so when I would run out a few days before my prescription, I would contact them and they would "hook me up".
    Before I knew it, I was spending so much money and I was on double my dose. (10-325).
    Right around that time, my dad died and my husband confessed he was cheating on me w a co-Worker and left me. The meds were a way to "get by" and make it through the day.
    I've never really "run out" because of my supplier but I'm done.
    I know my son needs me and I want to be a good mom for him. I don't want to die. This is so hard to admit but I need help. I don't even know where to begin. I'm broke and I don't want to lose my son or my life. Currently I'm taking 20-25 10-325 pills a day.
    Yes, 25 pills. My body needs that to just be normal. I want to quit cold turkey because I don't have the money to go to a rehab but I've read posts where people R taking 1/3 of that and they haven't done well. I know that people will judge me but I want to live and I need help. Any suggestions? I'm about to go cold turkey and I'm terrified.

beachbuminde is offline New Member

Hi Ana, it's easy for people to say "suck it up" or " don't get so anxious". I am 39, married w/5 kids, I am your typical rough and tough mans man. However, when it comes to kicking opiates, I am the biggest baby you will ever meet. Most of us are or we wouldn't be here. The first step is to look deep inside yourself and know that you are ready to stop. It will take everything you have to get through it. I kicked a 5 year Oxicontin habit, thanks to a Dr that loved to write scripts and recently, 11 days ago, kicked Suboxone. I would kick Oxi any day before Subs again. But enough about me. You need to expect the worst. that way, when you do have moments where you realize it isn't as bad as you thought, you will actually feel quite proud of yourself. The physical parts can be dealt with using OTC meds. The mental part can only be overcome using your own personal will. Believe me, you will find will power you never knew you had. The good news is you should only have a few days of really rough stuff. Then its the long mental battle. Immodium, 400-600mg of Motrin every 4 hours ( if you can stomach it), Excedrine also helps if you cant tolerate the Motrin, clonidine will help with the anxiety, restless legs, and high blood pressure most experience when withdrawing. Your body will need lots of vitamins and protein to help the fight. I found that because of the lack of appetite, that PowerBars high in protein were easy to stomach and helped alot. Also use a multivitamin daily. Lots of liquids, Gatorade is good. I found listening to music helped keep my mind occupied and quashed alot of the mental rollercoaster. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, you just need to dig deep to get to it. You can and will. Many have. If it was impossible, noone would ever get clean. There are thousands here that have, what makes them any better than you? You can do this. Stay strong, pray, put on your superwoman outfit, and kick the WD's ass......Oh yea, come back here when you need support. Many folks are willing to help when you just need to vent.....

Thank you so much! I'm already feeling really tired but I'm ready to do This. I know I will need support

ecotime47 is offline New Member

Hi friend. I'm sorry to hear all that you've gone through. I just wanted to let you know I was praying for you today. Hang in there.

**Alive In Him**

Thank you. I'm in the hospital. Got dehydrated, bad...

ecotime47 is offline New Member

How are you doing Ana?

**Alive in Him**

getwell1026 is offline New Member

Hi Ana, just stopping by to let you know that you have my support. You seem like a fighter, I believe in you. We are all here because we share similar struggles. No one is here to judge, we all have faced our own beasts. Opiates can get the best of even the strongest.
    Let us know how you are doing.
    Much love.

-GetWell

Hey guys, just wanted to give you guys a quick update. I'm actually doing really well. I haven't had anything at all since I decided to quit. Actually lost a ton of weight which is a good thing. I work out every single day, Yoga/Zumba. I feel like I'm more aware. Sometimes I still have panic attacks but I try to talk myself through them. The biggest issue I have is energy. I find myself kind of slugging through the day. The other thing is at night I can't seem to fall asleep and stay asleep. At 5:45 I'm up and I can't go back to bed. I guess it's a good thing but my days just seem maternal. For the most part so I'm doing great and I couldn't be happier to be off that sick drug. Thank you all for your support I love you and would love to hear about you all
    Thisweekforsure likes this.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Good to hear from you. I am two weeks out now and have very similar problems, still feel low energy and weak but it's getting better. I lost weight too and I love that part! I hope I don't gain it back. I have trouble sleeping too. Waking up too much through the night and out of bed by 5:30. Last night I took an L-tryptophan at bedtime and it helped, I slept til 6:30 without waking during the night.

Kristiek82 is offline New Member

Thank u for sharing your story I am in the beginning stages of kicking a Percocet habit that's been going on and off for about 2 years now. It's not the physical stuff that scared me the most bc I've gone through that already but I struggle so much mentally, with the cravings. I'm trying to find ways to re wire my mind not to want that poison anymore! Reading your story gave me hope!

determined-mama2 is offline New Member

It is super scary! Today is day 1 for me. I was on hydrocodone for 2 years and then on suboxone for 2 years. My insurance stopped covering my suboxone so ir had some norco to ease the withdraw from subs. Did norco for a week and now I'm withdrawing again. I have no idea how to get through it. No support system, I have 2 kids to care for alone, i can't sit still or sleep. My dr can't see me for 2 weeks to ask for clonidine. The days seem to go by soooo slooooow when you feel like this