• 1 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 2 Post By JP mom
  • 2 Post By Maxheadrum
  • 3 Post By Forceout
  • 2 Post By JP mom
Help me get off my meds
    JP mom is offline New Member

Default Help me get off my meds

Hi everyone. So I am ready to stop taking my pain meds. I have been in chronic pain for 8 years now and I am only 38. It started with an injury that cause a ruptured disc. I had 2 lower back surgeries and a spinal chord stimulator placed. From this my Dx is chronic pain syndrome, arthritis, and failed back surgery syndrome. So I was on several narcs to control my pain. I quit cold turkey because I became pregnant. A few years after I had my baby the pain was worsening. So I was back on pain meds PRN. I wasn’t having WD when I would stop taking them. And then 2 years ago I had very bad neck and upper back pain. I was put on Oxy and PT. This was not working. I was ending up in the ER for horrible migraines. Last year I had a 3 level cervical fusion. This did help with the migraines but did not help with the pain. So I continue to take the Oxy everyday. They do not work anymore. So why take them right?? Well they help for about 1 hour. And then the horrific pain returns. And with my job, I need to be pain free to work. I work in a hospital and clinic. My employer is well aware of my medications. My doctor that prescribed my meds, I’d a doctor I worked with directly. So since the opioid epidemic I feel so embarrassed that I take meds for pain. And trust me, I would chose to take OTC Tylenol or ibuprofen if they worked. I say this because in 2015, my cousin lost her life to an OD of methadone. It kills me that I take pills that killed her.
    I am stuck. I need pain relief to live a normal life. I can not be on disability. But I don’t want to rely on these pills everyday to get me through life. This is no way to live. I am so depressed everyday of my life. And some days I wish all of my pain, both mental and physical, would be gone. But I have a child to care for.
    Not many people understand this. I try to talk to my Dr about this but nothing gets accomplished. I live in a very small town and HIPAA is not something that is held to a high standard at the office I go to. So when I go for my follow up appointments I get looks and judged by the staff there. They were my coworkers and friends at a time in my life. I went to see my Dr for Influenza testing and I was due for my Rx to be filled. I had to sign another pain contract and do a UA. All for an Influenza test!!! I was humiliated. So I told myself to stop these meds. So I started to take less...but my pain increased unexpectedly. My lower and upper back/neck pain is worsening. My job has been more physically demanding. So my plan of tapering has not worked. As I write this now, my neck and migraine is worsening by the minute.
    In no way have I intended my meds to become a part of my life, but they have. I do not want to drag these meds with me at all times but I also can not go through WD right now!! I need some help and tips so the WD Sx are not so severe that I need to miss work.
    Thank you for listening to me and any advice is much appreciated!!
    JP mom!
    DravenDomnq and Beefaroni7272 like this.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey JP, welcome to the forums! I get the struggle being bound to Oxy, was myself for many, many years, so good on you for wanting to break free of them. How much are you currently taking? I don't know if tapering would be an option for you, sometimes not easy at all to do, but if you do it very slowly, and really want it, you might have an easier time than just going cold turkey.

I tapered for years, and had a hard time with a lot of the tapers I did, but I think if I would have approached it a little differently it would have been more successful for me. Might be one option for you.

Another thing that really helped me was the Thomas Recipe thread on here. I'll leave a link to it at the bottom of the post. I'd avoid the benzos if you're not already on them, but a lot of good information that can definitely help. Keep posting to let us know how you're doing!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...ent-35169.html
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Hi Draven. I am so upset right now. Just sick of it all. I am on benzo’s already and have been for years. And my Oxy dose is 10mg tabs 1-2 every 6 hours as needed. Well when you are in pain, you need them. Thanks for the link. I’m gonna check that out now!!
    Beefaroni7272 and DravenDomnq like this.

Maxheadrum is offline Member

JP-

Awesome you started your thread!
    I agree with the suggestion of the Thomas Recipe. Imodium is critical in the first few days. Try to stay positive. If you can, try to get some light exercising in. If you can get out and walk a little bit, it will do wonders for you. Getting back to work was very hard for me because I was scared and was feeling utterly exhausted. However I had to pay the bills so off to work I went and it helped so much!

Keep posting and let us know how you are feeling. There are so many terrific people on this site and they will definitely help you. Stay the course and remember you can 1000% do this!

Forceout is offline Member

Welcome JP,

I’m really just chiming I’m with the welcome party and letting you know I’m another person with extensive surgery background who took the meds for 5 Long yrs.

This place helped me immensely. I tapered for a month plus then quit completely. It was the hardest thing I’ve done but the most worthwhile as such things go. I am pill free going on 60 days right now and feel real good. Way way better than I did on the hydrocodone I was taking.

I found that I had worse pain during my full time med regiment. My body is back fighting the pain now. And otc meds help more than I ever thought possible. I simply can’t believe how much better I feel top to bottom.

I’ve had 12 serious surgical procedures with major prolonged post op problems but the opiates eventually stop helping and in fact may be hurting overall.

Hang in there and welcome to this wonderful judgement free place. You have lots of support here.

Forceout

Thank you to you all!!! It sucks but with everyone’s help we can all achieve this!!!

Maxheadrum is offline Member

Yes you can. The power our minds harness has never been fully understood but it is understood that it has amazing ability to heal itself when given the chance.

Hang in there and keep positive for today!