• 2 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By All_Day
  • 1 Post By DawnMarie81
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Help with Methadone tapering
    All_Day is offline New Member

Default Help with Methadone tapering

Hello,
    I have been on Methadone for 2.5 years now. I started at 30 mgs and worked my way up to 177 mgs once daily. The last 6 months I've been tapering down and I'm successfully at 31 mgs. I'm scared though! I've been extremely sick multiple times for missing a dose by a few hours or simply sweating it all out cause I have a high metabolism. Each time I get ill it's violent vommiting, cold sweats, stomach pain, and a few other minor symptoms. Not to mention my blood pressure drops and that's the scariest part. I have felt to week to move, talk, or do simple tasks. What I'm worried about is the last day when they say this is your last dose. Will I get so land how bad? I want to go to a detox for the final mgs but it's very difficult because there is a long waiting list and my health insurance will only cover a certain amount of days. I don't know what to do? If I could get some advice or opinions that would've helpful. Thank you for your time!!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum!

Methadone caused me so much heartache. It destroyed my life in the end. "Liquid Handcuffs" is a great name for it. You have done a great job tapering your dose. A very good job! Because it's a full - agonist drug you'll have wd's as the dose gets lower. That's just the way it is. Many like me found that making the switch to Suboxone was the best way to go. That's because it's considered easier to taper off subs than the methadone. Some may say different.

If you do consider doing the same it has to be done correctly. If not you could become violently ill taking the sub too soon. Just providing you with something to consider. If you ever do want to give that a shot I'll be happy to help. Just for some info here's the link to our sub plan below….

https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

If you want to stick with the methadone taper that's fine. It certainly can be done. I would suggest you begin reducing at the rate of around 3- 5mg every week or so until you're down to as low a dose as possible. Will it be painless, probably not. But with a positive frame of mind and some willpower, you can do it.

Maybe a detox facility is the way to go. It has to be your decision. We're here to help and support you all the way no matter what you decide. Take care and best wishes.

Randy
    All_Day and DawnMarie81 like this.

All_Day is offline New Member

Thank you Randy for the time and consideration of your post. My counselor at the Methadone clinic offered me the option once I get down to a certain dose to switch to suboxone. I was very interested til she said I have to be off methadone for up to 48 hours. The dread set in with the fear and anxiety of getting sick. Like you said I'm going to stay positive and I'm going to take a look at your link. Thank you and I'm glad there are people out there like you!
    Randy35 likes this.

DawnMarie81 is offline Junior Member

That fellow Randy☝ up there is wise ..I'm so thankful he has kept reading my whining post daily and gives amazing first hand advice. I was on methadone before suboxene a couple years ago ..In the hospital they gave me methadone then when I was discharged I was on my own.I went on suboxene but I had been out of the hospital a little over 7 days maybe 9 my brain isnt top notch yet so still a little cloudy, do educate yourself and have a plan. I am now on day 9 off of along use of suboxene and yes I want to hate the drug but it wasn't that it was my doctors improper use and no guidance and my own fault for not being smarter..Educate yourself well and definitely have a plan..Good luck you can do it I promise..
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by All_Day View Post
    Thank you Randy for the time and consideration of your post. My counselor at the Methadone clinic offered me the option once I get down to a certain dose to switch to suboxone. I was very interested til she said I have to be off methadone for up to 48 hours. The dread set in with the fear and anxiety of getting sick. Like you said I'm going to stay positive and I'm going to take a look at your link. Thank you and I'm glad there are people out there like you!

I completely understand about the concern factor of making such a switch to subs. If you haven't been through it before it can really cause some unknown fear and questions. Thankfully there has been many of us that has been through it and can guide you through it should that be your choiuce at some point.

The worst part without a doubt is waiting in wd's before you can safely induct on the subs. How long depends on the previous drug of choice and habit. Methadone is one of the toughest drugs to switch from, but it can be done as many of us have proven. It only needs to be done once if it's done correctly. I found out the hard way that getting in a rush wouldn't work. Took me 3 tries before I was finally successful, but it gave me valuable info and experience about how NOT to do it and how to do it correctly!

Rather than waiting for a certain "time" span to pass after stopping the methadone we suggest the use of the Cows sheet. Briefly, the Cows gives numbers to wd symptoms and you add them up. Once your score reaches 26 you are ready for the sub induction. Yes, it could easily take 48 hours. Took me nearly 90 hours before I was ready to induct. But it could take less time too.

Another thing to consider is if you stop the methadone and wait to induct on the subs, and 48+ hours has passed then maybe you should stick with it and try it without the subs? Your decision to make.

Theres no wrong way to go, all that matters is that you get clean however you can.

Randy
    Maggie1976 likes this.