Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ABraveNewEnding
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
Helping my brother through detox/withdrawals
    ABraveNewEnding is offline New Member

Default Helping my brother through detox/withdrawals

I've never known an addict before so this is all pretty new to me. I just found out my brother has been abusing Suboxone for years. I caught him so he fessed up and told me his story. He wants to get clean now but can't afford to go to a clinic to detox so we're doing this at home.
    I've researched a lot but still feel pretty clueless about how I can help. What can I really expect with withdrawals? What kind of food should I prepare and how much? I don't wanna come off as pushy cuz I think he needs more. I'm sure he'll resist some things he needs so how hard should I push? How much water a day should he be drinking? Is it even helpful for me to be around or will I just be in the way? And what kind of supplements should I have ready for him to help ease the symptoms?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-01-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABraveNewEnding View Post
    I've never known an addict before so this is all pretty new to me. I just found out my brother has been abusing Suboxone for years. I caught him so he fessed up and told me his story. He wants to get clean now but can't afford to go to a clinic to detox so we're doing this at home.
    I've researched a lot but still feel pretty clueless about how I can help. What can I really expect with withdrawals? What kind of food should I prepare and how much? I don't wanna come off as pushy cuz I think he needs more. I'm sure he'll resist some things he needs so how hard should I push? How much water a day should he be drinking? Is it even helpful for me to be around or will I just be in the way? And what kind of supplements should I have ready for him to help ease the symptoms?
    Well. Telling someone is one of the first very important steps. Can you find out how much he has been taking per day? Subs are very strong with a very long half life. Detox will take him longer than if he'd been abusing short acting opiates. If you can find out how much he's been taking, that will help to predict how long his detox will last.

There is a list of vitamins and supplements used here called the Thomas Recipe. All over the counter stuff that you can find at a grocery store, Walmart, etc. Whatever you can't find there, check a GNC or order online. The Recipe includes benzos but unless he's already using them, don't!

The best way to get off subs is do to a slow taper. If he's been using them for a long time, he obviously has a way to get them. The taper plan used here and has been very successful is called Robert's Sub Taper Plan. Read it, share it with your brother and ask questions if you have any. The plan can be tweaked if needed but it works. Let us know how much he's been taking because that will help us point you in the right direction and how to begin. Is he taking them orally or injecting? I know. Uncomfortable questions.

I would also suggest that he get on this site himself and do some reading. You can only do so much. This has to be his decision and he has to be willing and ready to put this behind him. I think that reading threads here just might inspire him and he'll get lots of support.

Check out the Thomas Recipe for things that will help his symptoms but honestly, a slow taper is likely to give him the best shot of recovery from subs.

Peace,

Cat

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ABraveNewEnding View Post
    You'll need to provide a lot more information to get proper advice?

Exactly how long has he been taking subs, how much (milligrams) per day, how is he taking it the subs (ROA, Route of Administration), when was his last dose, how many subs does he have or does he have access to subs to do a proper taper, etc..., etc..., etc...? The more info the better? A lot of members here will be able to answer your questions/concerns and provide suggestions once they have all that info so update when you can?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    You'll need to provide a lot more information to get proper advice?

Exactly how long has he been taking subs, how much (milligrams) per day, how is he taking it the subs (ROA, Route of Administration), when was his last dose, how many subs does he have or does he have access to subs to do a proper taper, etc..., etc..., etc...? The more info the better? A lot of members here will be able to answer your questions/concerns and provide suggestions once they have all that info so update when you can?
    Posting at the same time, Ricky. Not unusual, is it?

Peace,

Cat