Helping wife off Opiates
    Hubby69 is offline New Member

Default Helping wife off Opiates

First some background. My wife has severe arthritis in her lower back and also has trigeminal neuralgia. She had vascular decompression surgery (brain surgery) in May to alleviate the trigeminal pain. After surgery they had her on extreme levels of dilotid. She was getting it both by pill and IV every few hours to control her severe pain. After she left the hospital she was taking Hydrocodone 6 times a day as well as hydromorphone when it got too bad. That had been going on since last Wednesday the 8th then her pain Dr cut her off all opiates after she has been on them for about 10 years total.
    Let me tell you, the last week has been pure hell for her and not much better for me. However, she is doing fantastic now except she still has bad back pain. The insomnia has somewhat subsided but she is having a horrible time sleeping because she hurts. A couple of questions, when will her body be producing dopamine again and is there any other non-opiate pain meds that work well. Her stomach can't handle motoring.
    Does anyone have any experience with low dose naltrexone? Thanks in advance and congratulations to all of you who have beat addiction! You are all very brave and strong willed people.

Today was day 8 of my wife's ct off of Hydrocodone. She has been having really bad back pain from her arthritis so I took her to urgent care to get her a shot of toradol. That helped a bunch with her back pain but now her stomach is killing her. She is getting extremely frustrated that she can't get out of pain and that there seem to be no answers. I myself can't stand the thought of her going back on the Hydrocodone but I also don't want her living in pain the rest of her life. I'm beyond frustrated at my inability to find answers for her. I don't need a response from anyone just using this as a place to vent because it's pretty much just me and her getting through this and I have to be strong for her. Always the cheerleader!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hubby69 View Post
    Today was day 8 of my wife's ct off of Hydrocodone. She has been having really bad back pain from her arthritis so I took her to urgent care to get her a shot of toradol. That helped a bunch with her back pain but now her stomach is killing her. She is getting extremely frustrated that she can't get out of pain and that there seem to be no answers. I myself can't stand the thought of her going back on the Hydrocodone but I also don't want her living in pain the rest of her life. I'm beyond frustrated at my inability to find answers for her. I don't need a response from anyone just using this as a place to vent because it's pretty much just me and her getting through this and I have to be strong for her. Always the cheerleader!
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry that nobody has responded, it's very slow in the forums on the weekends.

Look up "Opiate Induced Pain" (Hyperalgesia), your wife will not know what her true and accurate pain level is until she is off the opiates for a few months?

Why did her doctor cut off her meds?

Why are you asking about naltrexone?

Update when you can?

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-19-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Man when does the insomnia end? Day 12 and she still can't sleep .

NikkiLP is offline Junior Member

Melatonin can help with sleep. I took unison and at double dose was able to get a few hours of sleep. Benadryl can make RLS worse for some but I never had a problem with it. Sleep is 1 of the last things to return..a few hours equals bliss and it slowly improves.

Krysmith78 is offline Junior Member

You are so supportive to be helping your wife this way. I can tell you that it was about a month for me before I began sleeping normally. My pain was much worse in the first week or two after I stopped than it is now but will always have pain. I try to find ways to mentally deal with it rather than looking for a medical route because that always leads me down the path of thinking of my old meds and then questioning whether I should go back on them. They really did help with my pain so much and I miss being able to have relief from that pain. But the trade off of being addicted and dependent of them isn't worth it. Why did her doctor take her off of her medication so abruptly?