Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree37Likes
Hooked on oxy, doctor wants me to try methadone or suboxone
    Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Probaly not!
    You just took some today right!
    You really have nothing to loose to try again!

It is hard
    Probaly the hardest thing we will ever do..
    Chronic pain sux.
    I know .

But hopefully you will start day again tomorrow.
    Honestly the dr isn't going to have any new suggestions..
    There is no easy way through this!
    Maybe suboxone but that is not easy either..

I hope you can at least get 14 days in
    You would be surprised how different the pain becomes
    Once you get the opiates out of your system!
    Because now your brain is not producing its own
    Feel good chemicals it can't while you are taking them.
    It does take a little bit of time
    To start again.

I wish you could get that far!
    Because it is worth it ..
    I promise..
    Hugs
    Bette

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riley1990 View Post
    Thanks guys. Does anyone know if I start day 1 again tomorrow if I have to go through the 5-7 days acute withdrawal?
    Riley, you were so close to being over the hump and having the worst of the withdrawals behind you! I agree with Bette, this little hiccup shouldn't set you back too much if any? Remember any pain that you have is not your true level of pain! You will not know what your real level of pain is until you are off the opiates for a while? Search "rebound pain from opiates" and you'll see what I'm talking about? Get back up, brush yourself off and start again! You can do this! I wish you better success this time! Take care... God bless us all!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

GelatoinItaly is offline New Member

Hey Riley,

I don't think you have set yourself back too much, it will be fine. Brush yourself off and try again. This time try to at least get to day 5 which will mean you are making progress. That gives you something to be proud of rather than a failure. It will also mean you should be well over the hump of the acute phase of withdrawal. Totally manageable on your part, so be sure to keep us updated.

Best Wishes!

ikthos is offline New Member

Hi all

This is my second thread. I am trying to get off of a 80-100mg oxy addiction. I talked to my doctor and she is very adamant that I try either methadone or suboxone. I want to quit CT and be done with it all but she said the failure rate of that is very high. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone tried methadone or suboxone and what were your experiences like? Do you regret it or did it help?

Thanks!
    Riley , don't listen do that doctor. I wish I was in your boat. I am coming off a daily dose of OXY of 1800 mg . Yes that's 60 x 30mg pills PER DAY!!!. Sub might be good for people like me. I haven't even considered methadone for a second. But please, listen to all the great people around here. you can taper and DETOX. I even remember when I was at your same dose level, I was able to go by for close to 48 hours without dosing. I know everyone is different but your dose is not high. It is below average or average at most.

Sherry440 is offline New Member

[QUOTE=Catrina;508599]Hi Riley,

I have never taken either subs or methadone but I've been around this Forum for a long time. Almost always, people regret ever having touched methadone. In fact, I can't recall anyone saying they used methadone, tapered, got clean and were happy they went that route. Subs are a great tool but in my opinion should be used as a last resort. I hate that your doctor told you that the failure rate for cold turkey detox is so high and is pointing you in a different direction.

well, I did exactly that. But granted, fairly low dose ....from 7 5/500 vicodin anday to something like 5-10mg tabs of methadone. Then, i could shave off little bits of the methadone down to nothing. Methadone is so long lasting, you can really stretch it out to reduce. I think its gotten a bad rap. Wish I had it today.

Riley1990 is offline Junior Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Well here I am stuck again. Today I took 40mg oxy and I am going to try and taper. I know this takes a lot of self control and willpower but I just cannot do the CT again. It wrecked me. I am wondering what a good amount would be to reduce and how often? I think I'll stay at 40 for 2 weeks just to settle a bit and then begin tapering more. I notice as soon as the pills wear off the intense leg and back pain kick in. My issues is that mentally I feel horrible on the pills (anxious, depressed, angry) but physically I am fine. When I'm off them I feel mentally amazing but can't function physically. I just wish there was an easy way out. I am worried that maybe there is something really wrong with my back or hips because on day 4 the pain was the worst out of all the previous days. This is so confusing. I just want to be normal again

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Well here I am stuck again. Today I took 40mg oxy and I am going to try and taper. I know this takes a lot of self control and willpower but I just cannot do the CT again. It wrecked me. I am wondering what a good amount would be to reduce and how often? I think I'll stay at 40 for 2 weeks just to settle a bit and then begin tapering more. I notice as soon as the pills wear off the intense leg and back pain kick in. My issues is that mentally I feel horrible on the pills (anxious, depressed, angry) but physically I am fine. When I'm off them I feel mentally amazing but can't function physically. I just wish there was an easy way out. I am worried that maybe there is something really wrong with my back or hips because on day 4 the pain was the worst out of all the previous days. This is so confusing. I just want to be normal again
    As I said in an earlier post to you -

Any pain that you have is not your true level of pain! You will not know what your real level of pain is until you are off the opiates for a while? Search "rebound pain from opiates" and you'll see what I'm talking about?
    Iluv2smile and Gilsmom like this.

Agreed with Ricky 100%

But it is hard to see when you are in the middle of active addiction..

For me
    My mind is more important..
    If you can get some kind of relief that is not an opiate
    You might see what we are saying.

If you stay at 40 mg for 2 Weeks..
    Then how will you taper?

2 weeks seems like a long time..
    The reason it is suggested with sub 4 days is because of the half life.
    But short term opiates does have that issue..

I hope someone can guide you better because I am not sure.

For me I could not taper anything but sub.
    I was always in a constant state of withdrawals .
    Plus I had no self control..

There is no easy way out..
    If there was it would not be an issue getting off!
    Bette
    Catrina and Gilsmom like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hey Riley,

Ricky and Bette are absolutely correct. I do have some legitimate back issues and when I was in cold turkey detox, I just hurt all over but most especially my back and legs. Once the acute period ended (around 5 days) a lot of those aches and the pain subsided and what was left responded to over the counter things like Motrin or Aleve. You will just need to be aware and take notice to see if your pain has diminished because we have become used to associating pain relief with the buzz that opiates provide. I had to really just stop and think about how severe my pain was and only then did I realize that I WAS getting relief and it was the buzz I was missing. It is very common for people to report that once they get past the acute withdrawal stage, the over the counter pain relievers will work better. I know. I didn't believe that either but it is true!!!

As far as tapering goes if that's the way you want to do this, Bette is absolutely correct. You don't need to wait 2 weeks before you reduce. The half life of short acting opiates is only a matter of hours so it shouldn't take you more than 3 or 4 days to adjust to a lower dose. This is one of the huge hurdles of tapering. It's just too easy to delay a reduction...one more day and then I'll reduce. That one day turns into weeks and months. If you are going to taper, set up a schedule and stick to it! Make small reductions every four or five days. If you're taking 40mg/day and comfortable, reduce immediately to 35mg/day. You may feel some slight discomfort but it shouldn't be unmanageable. Use Advil or Motrin for the aches. It will only take a few days and then reduce again. I'd try to do another 5mg reduction to 30mg/day and then begin to reduce by a little less after that--maybe a half of a tablet (2.5mg if you have 5mg tablets).

No there's no easy way to do this, unfortunately. You just have to pick a plan and determinedly stick to it no matter what. Don't increase your daily dose--ever. It's very tempting to take one extra, just this once but if you do, you'll just be setting yourself up. Geez. You made it 4 days? You were almost there! Oh well. Move on to Plan B whatever that is and commit to it.

Peace,

Cat
    Iluv2smile, Ming23 and Gilsmom like this.

Riley1990 is offline Junior Member

Hey Cat- for the taper would it still work the same way with the long acting oxy? The ones I take are the 12 hour extended release ones. I want to do this taper as fast as possible but also still be able to function. I'll probably get the dose down to 5mg and jump from there.

Bette- I completely agree with you about the mind being the most important. The pills make me feel so anxious and depressed. The complete opposite of what they used to do for me.

Ricky- I read up on the rebound pain and it makes sense.

Damn guys, I wish I had stuck with it and pushed past day 4. I didn't realize how close I was.
    Ming23 likes this.

Hey Cat- for the taper would it still work the same way with the long acting oxy? The ones I take are the 12 hour extended release ones. I want to do this taper as fast as possible but also still be able to function. I'll probably get the dose down to 5mg and jump from there.

Bette- I completely agree with you about the mind being the most important. The pills make me feel so anxious and depressed. The complete opposite of what they used to do for me.

Damn guys, I wish I had stuck with it and pushed past day 4. I didn't realize how close I was.
    As Cat has mentioned, whatever you choose you need to make a plan and "stick" to it or you will continue this pattern and you'll never get clean! Tapering is hard, I did it and I was in constant withdrawal the whole time because I reduced my dose by too much and I went too fast! Listen to what Cat said about tapering! This can't be rushed, it can't be done quickly! You want quick then you need to cold turkey, it would be over in a week! Tapering is a slow process, 15% reductions every 4-5 days and when you get into smaller doses you have to go even slower! You can taper both the short and long acting opiates the same way but like Cat said you can't fluctuate your dose and take more here and there! Good luck! God bless us all!

It is easy to say you wish you would of
    Especially if you are still taking opiates.
    But as see it is very hard to do .
    But you made it through the hardest part .
    If you did it one time you can do it again.

I know the pills stop working mentally but the fear of not having them is huge..

But we will support you .
    If you decide to jump again know the worst is usually over on day 3-4 .
    Still the work is there..
    Not only did we get older while we were on opiates.
    No one feels 100% all the time..
    As addicts we have some fear of being uncomfortable
    Yet that is part of being alive..

When my arm hurts
    And
    It does
    I do something different
    Move it
    Get involved in something else.
    Because if we sit around and wIt for the other shoe to fall.
    It will..

For me the mental clarity
    Out weighs
    The temporary relief from a pill

Excedrin works great.
    But won't or can't while you are on opiates.
    You have to give your body a chance to do
    What it does best!
    Heal itself!

The options really start to get small..
    Especially if the high is gone!

But it took me 10 years to get off of methadone!
    So I get it .
    But if I had it to do over!
    I would of just gone for it!
    Our minds make things much worse
    Than
    They are!

Bette
    Gilsmom and Ondoneznow120 like this.

Gilsmom is offline Member

Hey Riley..
    I had chimed in at the beginning of your thread and I am so sorry I ended up staying over in the Need to talk section through the rest of my detox! But I wanted to say now... There is no sense beating yourself up because you fell. It's not how many times you fall, it's that you keep getting back up! It is clear you do want this! I know the detox is the hardest thing I've ever had to do... Yet, also found that my mind made it much worse than it actually was!! It feels like a flu! That's it. If you can just wrap your head around the fact that you will feel icky for 4-5 days .. You can do this!! I actually felt a HUGE difference in day 5 physically... I mean like a light at the end of the tunnel!

Now, the mental part! The biggest help for me is being on here reading! When I feel myself slipping because of the anxiety and the "OMG I never get another pill again!" Moments and they do come .. I get on here and read and read!! And I journal.. And I use my thread as a journal!!!

Please consider jumping again and takin the hit and getting to that better life you dream of!! Embrace the yucky part and you will get there! The Thomas recipe definitely helps the symptoms! Feeling amazing mentally is worth having the physics pain for a few days... The pain lightens up pretty quick actually. And ibuprofen works!
    Take care... I know you can do this!
    Mary
    xo
    Iluv2smile likes this.

sopranofan is offline New Member

I've been prescribed methadone for years (before Suboxone was available) for pain and opioid addiction. I don't recommend it. Its more for short term and can do terrible things to your body. My opinion is to go with Suboxone. Also there are alot more doctors willing to Rx Suboxone than there are willing to Rx methadone. Good luck!

sopranofan is offline New Member

I've also been on methadone for 10 years and am SO TIRED of taking it. I'm doing my best to reduce my dose as of recently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12