Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes
Hooked on oxy, doctor wants me to try methadone or suboxone
    Riley1990 is offline Junior Member

Default Hooked on oxy, doctor wants me to try methadone or suboxone

Hi all

This is my second thread. I am trying to get off of a 80-100mg oxy addiction. I talked to my doctor and she is very adamant that I try either methadone or suboxone. I want to quit CT and be done with it all but she said the failure rate of that is very high. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone tried methadone or suboxone and what were your experiences like? Do you regret it or did it help?

Thanks!
    Catrina, vb2mobile and Ming23 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riley1990 View Post
    Hi all

This is my second thread. I am trying to get off of a 80-100mg oxy addiction. I talked to my doctor and she is very adamant that I try either methadone or suboxone. I want to quit CT and be done with it all but she said the failure rate of that is very high. What are your thoughts on this? Anyone tried methadone or suboxone and what were your experiences like? Do you regret it or did it help?

Thanks!
    Hi Riley,

I have never taken either subs or methadone but I've been around this Forum for a long time. Almost always, people regret ever having touched methadone. In fact, I can't recall anyone saying they used methadone, tapered, got clean and were happy they went that route. Subs are a great tool but in my opinion should be used as a last resort. I hate that your doctor told you that the failure rate for cold turkey detox is so high and is pointing you in a different direction.

Your daily dosage is not so high that a cold turkey detox isn't possible. At the very least, what have you got to lose to try? It's 5 days of acute symptoms that feel like the flu. Honestly. This is totally doable for you. Please try. I went cold turkey from around 200 mg/day and I was in my mid fifties at the time. Was it fun? No. Did I survive? Yes! Not only did I survive but I'm over 6 1/2 years clean and sober. There are four or more members right now who went cold turkey and are now anywhere from a couple of weeks to over two months clean. They actively post almost daily here. During my years here, there have been countless people who did get clean cold turkey and because they have done their recovery work, have stayed clean. I know because I have ways of communicating with some members So much for statistics.

Your journey, your choice. I say go for it!!

Peace,

Cat
    Gilsmom, Reeray and Ricky71 like this.

Hey Cat! Thanks so much for your reply! It has definitely convinced me that CT is the way to go. I spent the night going through older posts and I have a good idea what I'm in for. I'm nervous as hell but I'm ready. I have one more day where I'll have to use just enough to get through (12 hour shift) and then I'm starting my cold turkey detox. So Friday is the day I take my life back. I am so thankful that I found this place, everyone is so supportive of each other and so helpful. I feel safe here and I'll keep posting
    Ming23 and Reeray like this.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Cat! Thanks so much for your reply! It has definitely convinced me that CT is the way to go. I spent the night going through older posts and I have a good idea what I'm in for. I'm nervous as hell but I'm ready. I have one more day where I'll have to use just enough to get through (12 hour shift) and then I'm starting my cold turkey detox. So Friday is the day I take my life back. I am so thankful that I found this place, everyone is so supportive of each other and so helpful. I feel safe here and I'll keep posting
    Riley - what is your work schedule? What days do you have off? The reason I ask is I may have a suggestion for you regarding your detox?

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Riley
    If i was you, i would follow Cat's sage advice and tough it out for 5 days. Your doctor probably means well, but i made the same mistake and paid the price. Methadone detox is hell and so are subs. It's a million times easier to cold turkey the pills than it is to taper from methadone or subs.
    Cat is right and you will be much better off taking her advice.
    You can do this and we're all here to support you when the going gets tough. Hang in there!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Agree
    With cat and Ming..

I took my Drs advice on went onto methadone
    10 years later
    Finally onto sub..
    9 months on ..

With all said and done..

5-7 days would of been a small price!

You can do it!!

If I would of have this forum
    And
    This experience I would have gone for it!

We will support you ..

Now
    >2 years off methadone
    > 18 months off sub

It is worth every
    Tear
    Every
    Pain
    To be free!
    I promise!

Rockin
    It
    Clean
    In
    2016!
    Bette
    Reeray likes this.

Hey all! Thanks for all the replies! Cat - in off until Tuesday. I'm struggling bad. A buddy of mine has some pills he is trying to get rid of and the temptation is HUGE. I keep saying to myself "yeah I'll just take them and taper myself" but every time I fail. Every time. I'm scared of the withdrawals. But I'm also scared of overdosing, which I've nearly done so many times by chasing the high. My mind is telling me don't do it, stay off the pills. But the addict in me is saying "just take them and taper yourself off". It's an internal battle and I'm scared that when I'm in the throws of wd I'll cave. I have 10 percocets left (5mg each). I took my last dose just now (20mg). This is really really tough. I so badly want to be clean. I've found a few NA meetings around me that I intend on going to. I'm definitely not going to take methadone or suboxone after reading your posts. I'm really struggling with this mental battle of stopping CT. I've always had horrible withdrawal to the point where I can't get out of bed without feeling like I'm going to die. I need some encouragement, I'm feeling so lost.
    Catrina likes this.

Hey all! Thanks for all the replies! Cat - in off until Tuesday. I'm struggling bad. A buddy of mine has some pills he is trying to get rid of and the temptation is HUGE. I keep saying to myself "yeah I'll just take them and taper myself" but every time I fail. Every time. I'm scared of the withdrawals. But I'm also scared of overdosing, which I've nearly done so many times by chasing the high. My mind is telling me don't do it, stay off the pills. But the addict in me is saying "just take them and taper yourself off". It's an internal battle and I'm scared that when I'm in the throws of wd I'll cave. I have 10 percocets left (5mg each). I took my last dose just now (20mg). This is really really tough. I so badly want to be clean. I've found a few NA meetings around me that I intend on going to. I'm definitely not going to take methadone or suboxone after reading your posts. I'm really struggling with this mental battle of stopping CT. I've always had horrible withdrawal to the point where I can't get out of bed without feeling like I'm going to die. I need some encouragement, I'm feeling so lost.
    Hi Riley,

Tapering would be ideal. For many of us, it's unrealistic. It certainly was for me. My thought process was exactly as yours is now. It's why I finally had to just stop fantasizing and researching on an easy way to get clean. Trust me on this, there is no easy way. There just isn't. So, even though I had experienced cold turkey countless times, I also knew that this was my only hope to getting clean. I had to remove all my possible sources so that my mind wouldn't be battling with me. I was done because I wanted to be. I was done. Period. I can't say that during my last cold turkey detox, the thought didn't run through my mind to just get a couple of pills for a "time out". Then I'd look at the time I had behind me and knew in my heart that that time out just wasn't the thing to do.

I've also come to the conclusion (at least for me) that the worst time to attempt a cold turkey detox was when I was out of pills. Right from the get go, I knew that as soon as I could lay my hands on more, I'd be off to the races again. Having said that, I decided to make a statement. To make a commitment. I brought all the pills I had left (not that many, trust me) and I flushed them down the toilet. There! I don't HAVE to face this detox. I WANT to face this detox. With every ache, with every kicking leg, with every one of the many bathroom trips I took, I visualized it as the opiates exiting my system. Through the sweat it was leaving and at some point I would be clean!

One of my proudest moments was at around Day 3 of my detox, I was in bed and miserable and I heard someone at the door. I had my phones shut off. I answered the door to find my "friend" just checking on me because he hadn't heard from me. I told him I wasn't feeling well but I was good. I didn't need anything. Then I went back to bed and cried. It was never difficult to do that again. I cleared that hurdle and in the moment I knew I was going to be OK.

Letting go of your pills is scary. It's scary knowing what you will have to go through in order to get to the other side. If you believe nothing else I say, believe me when I tell you that the anticipation of a cold turkey detox is 10 times worse than the actual process. It's that anticipation that has us procrastinating it and falling back harder than we were in the first place. The beginning is Day 1. Wrap your head around the possibility that no matter how much (or little) anyone is taking, the timeline for detox is pretty much the same. 5 days and you'll be tired but the worst is behind you. The alternative is at least weeks and more likely months of being tied to your bottle and trying to taper. You know that thought process...."I just feel awful. I'll take an extra one now and take one less later". Right. How often do we actually follow through with that plan. Me? Never.

You can do this. You really can.

Peace,

Cat
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Subsnotkool is offline New Member

Cold turkey is the way to go. A week of heck is better than lifetime of regret. I was on super high doses of percocet for 13 years. Tried suboxone after one month threw it away. Day 3 not great physically but know in my heart right thing for me to do.
    Reeray likes this.

I just wrote an entire thing and it deleted! Anyways day 1 cold turkey is almost over! Feeling physically pretty bad - leg cramps and really bad exhaustion. Taken a few supplements to try and help. Not sure if they are working or not. Went for a walk tonight and then had a bath after. I feel good in the bath but as soon as I get out I feel like I need to lie back down. Staying positive mentally. It's weird feeling things again, emotions. I had a lot of stuff bottled up and it's starting to come out. I know that was one of the main reasons I liked taking the oxy was to forget about it. I feel myself coming back slowly. I'm going to keep pushing through and be done with this.
    Catrina and Reeray like this.

Gilsmom is offline Member

Hi Riley,
    I'm exactly with you! Day 2 off oxy! We can do this! Let's get rid of this! Let's start enjoying life and becoming proud of who we are instead of who we were!! I'm struggling too but I want this so badly!! You do too!
    Here for you,
    Mary
    Catrina likes this.

Little_blue is offline Junior Member

Hey I've been reading all this threads and yes I'm on methadone right now I'm slowly going down. If I would of seen all this before hand I would of just went cold turkey too. Methadone is just another demon you have to deal with but worse. Everyone kept telling me it wasn't bad, it's easy to get off, all you bed is a year on it then you'll be ok. Well needless to say it's been 2 years. So just keep thinking and telling yourselves it will get easier and you will be happy and will enjoy life again. Keep head up and good luck.

Mary- way to go! Day two and still pushing along here too. Lots of leg and back pain, just generally feeling exhausted and like sh*t. Mentally feeling so strong though, I want this so badly.
    Little blue- I feel for you. I hope you are able to get off that nasty stuff. I hope you keep strong and don't give in to the drugs! Don't give up! We can do this guys!!!
    Gilsmom and Catrina like this.

Little update: I started taking my ADHD meds again (Ritalin ER) and I'm not sure if it's s coincidence but i seem to be feeling a lot better. I still have pretty bad leg and back pain, but it's helped with the exhaustion a bit. Lots of sneezing and runny nose but no runs yet... Haven't taken immodium either which I find weird. I was taking OxyContin extended release (not crushed or snorted, just orally) and wondering if maybe I'm not quite in full withdrawal yet? I took my last OxyContin at 4pm Thursday and it's now 3pm Saturday. So nearly 48 hours in.

Gilsmom is offline Member

I feel pretty strong mentally too!! But I'm also realistic.. It's day 2 but I am hopeful that because I want it so much I will be able to kick this!!! Not having crazy bad symptoms but i feel it's coming!
    Keep pushing! We got this!!!!!!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-16-2016 at 03:35 PM.

Hi Riley,

I've been meaning to check on you. I've been crazy busy. YAY for you on Day 2. The symptoms you're describing are classic. I'm sure the bathroom trips will begin anytime so keep the Immodium close by. I'm sure the Ritalin is helping with your energy. Be careful with that! How long have you been prescribed it? You said that you "started" to take it again. How long since you were taking it regularly as prescribed? If it's giving you energy, I'd seriously talk to your doctor about it to see if you really need it. Sorry. Recovering addicts are like ex-smokers. I just had to throw that out there.

By tomorrow you will be past the half way mark. I was the same as you. Hot baths helped--while I was in the tub. Once, out, the relief was brief but I was grateful for that little bit of time. I know I wanted to just lay in bed and be miserable. It was exhausting just to walk across the house but I'd do it anyway. Exercise really does help but the real reason I tried to keep moving was that it was the only time my legs would feel better.

Keep pushing forward. Sunday, Monday and on Tuesday you're going to see how much better you'll feel. Tired. But better. Day 5 or 6 was the magic day that my restless legs abruptly vanished so you have that to look forward to.

Check in. I'll be away all day on Sunday but I'll check on you when I get home sometime late in the day/evening.

Peace,

Cat
    Reeray likes this.

SerenityFaith32 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    Hi Riley,

I've been meaning to check on you. I've been crazy busy. YAY for you on Day 2. The symptoms you're describing are classic. I'm sure the bathroom trips will begin anytime so keep the Immodium close by. I'm sure the Ritalin is helping with your energy. Be careful with that! How long have you been prescribed it? You said that you "started" to take it again. How long since you were taking it regularly as prescribed? If it's giving you energy, I'd seriously talk to your doctor about it to see if you really need it. Sorry. Recovering addicts are like ex-smokers. I just had to throw that out there.

By tomorrow you will be past the half way mark. I was the same as you. Hot baths helped--while I was in the tub. Once, out, the relief was brief but I was grateful for that little bit of time. I know I wanted to just lay in bed and be miserable. It was exhausting just to walk across the house but I'd do it anyway. Exercise really does help but the real reason I tried to keep moving was that it was the only time my legs would feel better.

Keep pushing forward. Sunday, Monday and on Tuesday you're going to see how much better you'll feel. Tired. But better. Day 5 or 6 was the magic day that my restless legs abruptly vanished so you have that to look forward to.

Check in. I'll be away all day on Sunday but I'll check on you when I get home sometime late in the day/evening.

Peace,

Cat
    HI....IM A BEGINNER. .I STILL AM ON A VERY HIGH DOSAGE OF OXYS AND HYDROS...I CAN TAKE UP TO 30 PILLS A DAY...IM TIRED OF THE ADDICTION ITS RUINED MY LIFE AND FAMILIES. .IM LOST I DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT TO DO...IM SCARED >>>>LESS OF WDs ...PLEASE HELP ME..WHAT SHOULD I DO..WHAT WILL HELP ME GET THRU THIS?????
    Gilsmom and Catrina like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SerenityFaith32 View Post
    HI....IM A BEGINNER. .I STILL AM ON A VERY HIGH DOSAGE OF OXYS AND HYDROS...I CAN TAKE UP TO 30 PILLS A DAY...IM TIRED OF THE ADDICTION ITS RUINED MY LIFE AND FAMILIES. .IM LOST I DONT EXACTLY KNOW WHAT TO DO...IM SCARED >>>>LESS OF WDs ...PLEASE HELP ME..WHAT SHOULD I DO..WHAT WILL HELP ME GET THRU THIS?????
    Welcome Serenity,

Please start your own thread. From the Home Page of the "Need to Talk" Forum, you'll see a tab that says "Start New Thread". Click that and it'll walk you through. Tell us more about you in your first post there. How long have you been using and how much. I'm glad you found this Forum! The people here gave me the courage to get clean and the support to stay that way.

By having your own thread, we'll be able to find you easier and respond to you. It'll also be A LOT easier for you to find the posts that are intended just for you. Be a little patient. It can be slower around here over the weekend but you'll get the help you're looking for.

Peace,

Cat
    Ricky71, Reeray and Gilsmom like this.

Hey guys, day 3 over here. I did not get much sleep at all - I went to bed around 11pm and woke up at 2:30am and stayed awake until around 6:30am and got a few more hours in. My back and leg pain is incessant! Other than that I'm really not having too hard a time, the exhaustion is still there for sure. Not sure if today things are going to hopefully get a little better. Had some minor cravings last night but didn't give in. Thanks Cat for the reply yes I'm taking 27mg of the extended release. I've been prescribed it for a long time but went off of it in the last few months because I was getting heart arrhythmias from mixing an upper with a downer. Yesterday was the first time I took it in a while.

Mary hope your day 3 goes well!

Reeray is offline Member

Hi Riley,

I am hooked on Oxy too. I am so proud of you for doing this. It takes real guts to fight this demon

How are you doing now? I hope you are still hanging in there. It is people like you that give me hope that I can kick this monster to the curb too. Keep Posting.

Hey Reeray! Thanks for your kind words it's been a ride so far but I'm still here and still going! Day 3 feeling lots of restless legs and still pretty exhausted. Mentally very clear and starting to feel myself coming back slowly. You can do this too! Trust me, it's hard but it's not impossible you'll know when you're ready and it sounds like you are! If I can help in any way just let me know!

GelatoinItaly is offline New Member

Nicely done Riley! Almost through day 3, keep it up. Today was day 16 for me and feeling proud of us.

Reeray is offline Member

Hi Riley. I am so ready to quit. I posted my whole story on the Need To Talk thread, but sadly it didn't show up. I don't know why other than I am using a phone to post here?

I went through Norco withdrawal many years ago once. I remember feeling much better by the end of day 4. I only quit because I was in another state, and the pharmacy would not honor my prescription. I guess it was too easy, so I didn't learn my lesson. I was off about one month but went ahead back to my doctor when I returned home. Lol. Addict behavior. I had only been on them about one or two years at the time.

Oxys are harder to quit, but you are living proof it can be done.

I am sorry you are feeling so exhausted and still having rls. I know you will be better and enjoying your life again soon without the ball and chain on your ankles. Just think about it like that. You are. breaking free!

Thanks for your kind and supportive words. You are a warrior!

Reeray is offline Member

Thanks. I didn't even think about that. I bet that is exactly why my post didn't show up. I will be patient and wait.

Day 4. Didn't get to sleep until 7:30am! Slept until 11:30. Feeling very very sore and starting to get frustrated at the amount of pain I'm in (specifically my legs and back). The urge to take one of those pills is extremely high, I am consistently holding myself back but I'm getting to the end of my rope.

NoMoreDayOnes is offline New Member

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and HANG ON! You got this!

Well so much for that. I relapsed. So angry and disappointed in myself. I couldn't take the withdrawal anymore. It was so so so painful. I think next time I'm going to go into medical detox. I'm seeing my doc Friday and I'm going to talk about what's going on.

GelatoinItaly is offline New Member

Riley,

Don't be too hard on yourself. How about just trying again today? You can do this, so don't give up on yourself.

Best Wishes!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Reeray is offline Member

Riley,

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with nonstop pain. I had that with Shingles back in December. It was horrible and I was taking 25mg. of Oxy a day. It didn't hardly touch the pain and lasted for weeks.

I am hoping you can get some help from a doctor to get you through this. Don't give up hope. You will get this done! You need a new plan is all.

I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

ReeRay

Thanks guys. Does anyone know if I start day 1 again tomorrow if I have to go through the 5-7 days acute withdrawal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast