Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Poppy Girl 37
How long to addiction hydrocodone?
    mdwsr is offline New Member

Default How long to addiction hydrocodone?

Hello all, I am new here and have read many posts on hydrocodone addiction. I went to my doc with a shoulder injury and left with a scrip for 100 7.5/325 hydrocodones. I have only been taking them for two days and only 3 pills per day but with a scrip for 100 pills I am concerned about addiction.

How long can I take these before I need to be concerned? I am also being treated for depression and I noticed right away that these pills work better than any ssri's I've taken (and I've tried many) and I don't want to get myself hooked like so many I have read of. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I think they say you can become dependent in as little as two weeks. If you have an acute injury, it should be feeling better within a few days. Try to switch to plain Tylenol within the next day or two and you will be good. If your injury is severe and you need to use them longer, try to keep it under two weeks.

You are wise to be concerned about addiction. Especially if you have depression because it's true, they will relieve depression but it is a short term relief and will make depression much worse in the long run if you become addicted.

Poppy Girl 37 is offline Member

I agree with ThisWeek. You are so smart to think this way now. Addiction can sneak up on you so quickly. Faster I think if you're prone to depression and finally feel good. Don't fall into the trap of believing they will continue to work as an anti depressant without hurting you in other ways. I was hooked in some ways before getting to the bottom of my first bottle of 30 vic. Prob about a week in. I still remember the first time I took one "to help me relax" more than I did for pain. That was after an accident 6 years ago. I still battle this beast today. If I could do it over again, I'd suffer any pain to never have felt an opiate buzz. I dont want to scare you if you are in pain. If you are in pain and need relief that's different. Once you don't absolutely need them though, stop. That is my humble opinion. Good luck to you and get better soon.
    Oxymoronic likes this.

mdwsr is offline New Member

Thanks. I went ahead and tossed all but about a weeks worth, all these addiction stories scared me. I don't know why he prescribed 100 of these pills for a simple shoulder injury. I will go ahead and save a weeks worth in case i have to have surgery but I'll keep no more than that.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Best of luck with your injury. I hope you heal fast!