• 2 Post By Kriell
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By DravenDomnq
  • 3 Post By Kriell
  • 2 Post By Forceout
Hydrocodone help needed
    Kriell is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone help needed

I've been taking hydrocodone for around seven to ten years. Not really sure exactly. I had a gastric bypass (rouen y) and several years later acute mesenteric ischemia where I lost all but about 5 feet of small intestine. I have neuropathy in my feet and joint issues. If I go more than about 24 hours without hydrocodone I get "itchy" and irritable and rls. I need to get off the hydrocodone because the "war on opioids" is going to make getting hydrocodone harder and bothersome. I need to get off it because I don't think I'm feeling much of anything anymore if that makes sense. I'm planning on stopping completely this week on Wednesday because I have 4 days off due to the holidays. I'm scared because I don't know if I can handle the withdrawal and I don't know how I'll be able to deal with pain.
    If anyone is out there who is willing to offer suggestions and/or support I'd appreciate it.
    Thank you

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

Hey kriell. Welcome to the forum. This is a great place where you will find a bunch of great people who only want to help and support you on your journey. How much hydros are you taking daily? I know that you said you've been taking them for 8 years ish. But at what dose. W/D are no fun for sure. Congratulations for wanting your life back. First step. I was on opiate for about 8 years myself. (Oxy, then subs) And I can tell you it's so much better clean. I was worried if I would ever feel "normal" again. But it is possible. Our bodies are amazing and they will heal in time. Have you looked into the Thomas recipe for opiate withdrawal? Everything there will help you through this process. Minus the benzos, you don't wanna go down that route.

Let us know where you're at and I'm sure some one will be by to help with a more detailed time table and what to expect. As for right now I'd suggest you read others threads. There are many who have conquered that same monster on here. And their stories may give you some strength and inspiration. I know I read most of them on my long sleepless nights. Weekends can be slow around here sometimes but don't get discouraged it usually picks back up around Sunday night. Again congratulations and welcome!!!

Stay strong
    Beef

Currently I take 3 10/325 a day. Usually only take them at night.

DravenDomnq is offline Advanced Member

Hey Kriell, welcome the the forums! Congrats on wanting to kick the hydros as well. I'm on my phone so can't leave a link, but you might want to search for the "Thomas Recipe" thread on here, a lot of great info there that really helped me.

Also, lots of hot baths/showers really helped in the beginning, especially for the pins and needles I felt. Make sure to stay hydrated as you can; water/gatoraide and/or potassium supplements. Can help a lot to keep cramping away.

It takes a bit to all get out of your system, but doing it when you have time off is a good plan. Keep posting, and know I wish you nothing but the best!

Thank you. I will look for the Thomas recipe, I have no idea what that might be.

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello Kriell welcome to the fourm.go to bottom to tag cloud type in Thomas Recipe. Let's us know what you plan is moving forward, we are all here to support you. Be well..
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.
    ***Stay Strong for Today***

I can get the medicine to avoid diarrhea. The other prescription ones I don't think I can get. I'll try to get the over the counter stuff as I know I'll have RLS. I already get that if I go longer than 24 hours off hydro. I just hope I can function by Monday. Tuesday night Will be the last dose I take. My family are willing to give up going out of town for thanksgiving so that I can get off this. I'm grateful they're willing to support me. I just hope and pray I'll have the strength.
    Beefaroni7272 and DravenDomnq like this.

Hello Kriell so happy you have a wonderful support system. Don't go into this with a negative mindset. Just think like you have the flu and this will pass I promise you. I agree with everything Draven said stay hydrated drink plenty of fluids potassium supplements liquid immoudium.. Did I say drink plenty of water it helps rid the body of all the junk we put in. Hot baths/showers in no time this will be behind you. Keep us updated we are all here to support you..
    Beefaroni7272 and DravenDomnq like this.

That sounds like a great idea, thinking of it as the flu. I will do that. Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by Kriell View Post
    That sounds like a great idea, thinking of it as the flu. I will do that. Thank you so much
    I hear its going around these days. Lol

Beef
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Too bad I can't do that for work:

I know, I feel your pain. Unfortunately I couldn't call out either. I played that flu card for about two weeks and still had to go in every day. It wasnt pleasant but it's doable. Keep your head up. It gets so much better!!!

Stay strong
    Beef
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriell View Post
    I can get the medicine to avoid diarrhea. The other prescription ones I don't think I can get. I'll try to get the over the counter stuff as I know I'll have RLS. I already get that if I go longer than 24 hours off hydro. I just hope I can function by Monday. Tuesday night Will be the last dose I take. My family are willing to give up going out of town for thanksgiving so that I can get off this. I'm grateful they're willing to support me. I just hope and pray I'll have the strength.
    Hey Kriell, I should have added that I only recommend the benzos if you're already on them, so would just concentrate on the non-prescription stuff on the Recipe thread.

For the RLS, Hyland's also makes a couple products that really helped me. I think they're called "Restful Legs" and "Leg Cramps PM". They also make another one that I know has helped others on here. You can find them at any Walgreens, or grocery store around here at least.

Keep hanging in there, it will get better!!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

So Tuesday night was my last dose off hydro. Last night didn't seem too bad but this morning I feel horribly shaky inside and can't feel still. I ate something for breakfast but nothing tasted like anything. Is that normal?

Hello Kriell yes everything you are feeling and going through is all normal part of the process.. like the flu This too Shall Pass... keep posting we are all here to support you..great job... Proud of You...

That's good to know. I thought something was wrong. Things see going ok. I feel on edge constantly and want to give in but I'm determined not to. Thank you for your help
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Forceout is offline Member

Hello Kriell and welcome.

Congratulations on making this decision. This forum helped me immensely when I was stopping hydrocodone. I am 2 weeks off today. Yeah. Only two weeks!! Everybody is different when it comes to w/d so don't assume it will be terrible. Just like everyone has said. It's like being down with a flu. You know how symptoms can vary with that. Same with duration so just take it one day at a time and get excited about not having to jack around with meds and docs anymore!!!

Btw- I was in pain management for five yrs. multiple surgeries. I didn't miss a day without hydro for that whole time... 4 10's per day.

So I know what is going on with you. Just be rest assured no matter what......it will go away like a cloud comes and goes and you will feel more like yourself than in a very long time.

Hang in there.

Liquids!
    Any small up and around walking or exercise.
    Hot showers.
    Thomas recipe where it applies.
    I ate a lot of bananas. Helped me.
    I drank up to 4 Gatorade 20 oz bottles per day. Plus a lot of water. I also consumed a large amount of protein daily. Many ways to do that.
    I also started and continue wide spectrum vitamins(Centrum Silver). (I'm 53.)

Posting on here helped a LOT. Even when no answers like a journal of how you feel. It helps a ton just to whine, cry, and so on. Nobody judges here. We all have been where you are and people here WANT to help make your journey as comfortable as possible.

What is happening with your body and brain is predictable and will pass!!!! No real timetable is same for different people but most seem to agree that most physical, acute w/d symptoms ease up within a week or so (with hydro at your consumption) I was very lucky. And I tapered down to 10 mg before jumping so my physical stuff started to go away about 3 1/2 days to 4 1/2 days. That was me. Just my story. 2 weeks now to the day and I am freaking great. Even with the very real pain from terrible broken body injuries I don't hurt like I thought I would so don't worry about that now. Just take each minute and hour and day for what it is. Laugh a little if you can. Get excited about this. You are doing something amazing my friend.!!!!!!! It takes a lot of courage to be you so be proud and keep fighting the good fight!!!

One more time. It. Will. Pass. I promise!!!

Forceout
    DravenDomnq and Lvg nghtmare like this.

I've never been one much for support type things but this has helped so far. I hope for sooner than later but will deal with whatever it is
    Lvg nghtmare and DravenDomnq like this.

Hello there!

Just stopping by to say I hope you are feeling better. Hopefully the edginess is dissipating some. Hang in there.

Forceout

It's six a.m. And last night was horrible. Sleep was hard to come by. Took benadryl and zolpidem. Finally got about 5 hours of sleep.

Hey Kriell, sleep is usually the last thing to return. I know that everything you are feeling and going through is all part of the process. Have you been taking the benzos from the start? You do not want to trade one Addiction for another. There are OTC meds you can try for sleep. As you gain clean time everything will balance out. I know you said you were not much into support and this forum has helped you. I felt the same way..with that said I was clean 6 months before going to my first Narcotics Anynomous meeting and I can tell from the moment I walked into the rooms my life has changed, I have changed for the better and now clean over a year. Getting Face to Face support for was crucial to long term abstinence. Just my two cents.be well..
    DravenDomnq likes this.

I'm not sure what you mean by benzos?

Like Lvg said, it's pretty common for sleep to take a while to get back to normal. A couple products that really helped with my sleep, especially at the beginning of the jump, were using a bit of either melatonin or a product called dream water. The dream water is a bit pricey, and can only find it online or at Walgreens (at least here), but seemed to really do the trick for me. There's also a tea called Sleepy Time I think that I've heard people talk about on here. Like anything, you don't want to use too much, but might be a couple other options to look into that might help!
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Stopplaying is offline Junior Member

Hi Kriel,
    Check out my thread "Quitting Hydro". I was on 15-20 pills daily and was able to do it with minimal discomfort.
    Please allow me to share, if you don't mind.
    On three pills daily you can try the following:
    Day 1: Take 10-15 pills of Immodium. Do NOT take more. It's a very potent and misunderstood opioid drug. It starts working in about 3 hours so you have to be patient. Try taking 6 pills first and then go up as needed.
    Also take vitamins and try to exercise.
    Day 2: Take 10 pills
    Day 3: Take 8 pills
    Day 4: Take 6 pills of Immodium
    Day 5: Stop and if you have anything for sleep, then take that for about 3 days and then stop that.
    You will still feel minor chills and RLS, but it shouldn't be devastating. I just went thru this and it worked for me.
    Hope it helps and don't be terrified of WD's as it's not that bad and scary as we tend to picture it in our minds.

Five days off now, something I haven't done since I started taking it. Last night was easier than the other nights and fewer issues today. I'm having pain in my hands and joints but that's nothing new. Imodium helped. I have a very short small bowel (five feet) and I'm hoping the Imodium will help me deal with that a bit slower than going off hydrocodone.

Hello there!

Great report, Kriell.

Five days is huge. Good job. I'm sure that has been interesting at times.....to say the least, right.

Yeah, the joint pain wherever it is(for me it's knees and wrists). Ouch. Heating pad and heat wraps from Walgreens pretty much killed mine for sleeping. Waking hours is tougher. Ibuprofen is helping more than I would have ever thougjt
    Lvg nghtmare and DravenDomnq like this.

Brotop is offline Member

For pain in my wrist I get those hot hands and I use some kt tape to tape them on. It helps with my carpel tunnel very much.