• 2 Post By auqust
  • 1 Post By Almost-Free
  • 1 Post By Thisweekforsure
  • 1 Post By Almost-Free
  • 3 Post By lance_9841
Hydrocodone withdrawl and depression
    lance_9841 is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone withdrawl and depression

Hi....I am a 45 year old married dad with 2 teenage boys. I have been taking Hydro (7.5mg/325) since 2006 starting with a pill every few days ramping up to 4 to 5 pills per day for the past couple of months. I stopped cold turkey 72hrs ago. The first 48hrs were the toughest with the physical discomfort. As bad as the physical discomfort was, I would trade that in a heartbeat for the overwhelming depression I have been feeling. Day 1....cried often and felt serious depression. Here on day 3 I am crying less but don't feel the depression has eased at all. I cannot seem to find joy in anything I can think of....my wonderful wife and kids, Disneyworld, or a good song. Is this normal? Any advice? I have got to get out of this. I don't feel like doing anything.

Sincerely,

Lance

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome.

Long-term opiate use causes the brain to stop producing endorphins, which are directly responsible for mood/emotions. Depression is very common after quitting the pills. It's only temporary. I know it's difficult to deal with, but it will pass. Some things that help to jump start the recovery process: B Complex, Potassium, lots of water and exercise. People who exercise regularly recover faster than those who don't.

I wish you the best.
    Kat

Thanks Kat.....I really hope the depression and despair subside soon. I feel like such a burden to my wife having to deal with me. Regardless, I have quit the pills and mentally have no desire to start again. I have been drinking Gatorade and eating VERY little. I just can't seem to get a grip on reality and see some joy in ANYTHING. I am SO sad. I will continue to fight.

Lance

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lance_9841 View Post
    Thanks Kat.....I really hope the depression and despair subside soon. I feel like such a burden to my wife having to deal with me. Regardless, I have quit the pills and mentally have no desire to start again. I have been drinking Gatorade and eating VERY little. I just can't seem to get a grip on reality and see some joy in ANYTHING. I am SO sad. I will continue to fight.

Lance
    I've been exactly where you are. It's awful, to say the least. I know it's hard to eat, but try. Healthy food is best, but eat what you can. Extra protein is recommended. Try Boost or Ensure as a meal replacement. Both have a lot of necessary nutrients.

Also, you may want to try a supplement called 5htp. It helps with depression but takes a while to build up in your system. GABA is another good one.

Hang in there. This, too, shall pass.

Kat
    lance_9841 likes this.

isitoveryet is offline New Member

How you doing, Lance? I was exactly where you are a little over a month ago. Went cold turkey on 12/23 and it was hell. Found some of the easiest foods to eat were applesauce and saltines and tons of water. The diarrhea lasted the longest, and the crying. I'm still struggling with depression -- it's so hard to describe to anyone that hasn't been through it. one of the best videos is called: I had black dog his name was depression here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc I've found it helpful to forward that video on to family and friends -- a quick 5 minutes and it sort of explains our situation. Good luck to you, hang in there, it gets better, I promise.
    MES
    lance_9841 likes this.

auqust is offline New Member

Always remember that you are not alone on this journey and THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

I'm a female in my early 20's who has gone cold turkey and not used since 1/27/15. This would be my second time since I relapsed few months ago after my first attemp to become sober. I don't understand how I could allow myself to go through this hell again but I accept the fact I have a disease.

The depression is an awful part of it but remember the fact you were numb for so long. Get it all out. When I first quit, I had a day that I spent crying. Someone could have said "banana" and I would burst out crying.

You are a strong individual who can do this and will do it. Do not let your mind fool you into believing everything that comes into it and back to using. There is light at the end of the tunnel my dear and you just need to hold on.
    Iwantoff2013 and lance_9841 like this.

Thanks so much for reaching out. I am taking small victories such as eating and keeping it in my body for a longer time. The RLS comes back periodically but nothing as intense as the first few days. The depression is the hardest part for me. I think I only cried once yesterday and felt the grey lift a few times.....that felt nice. Still fighting through this with all resources....my wifes support (she is the only one who knows I am going through this), prayer, eating and drinking healthy, and making myself get out of bed to shower and get something done each day. I will watch that video as well.....thanks

I am on day 7.

Thank you for the support. I know the "banana" feeling exactly! I am fighting every day and taking any little victories. Reading these posts do help a great deal to remind me I am not alone in this fight. Stay on the road August.

Almost-Free is offline Member

Hi Lance

Day 7...that's AMAZING!! You should be very proud of yourself. Keep it up my friend, you can totally do this.

I'm on day 4 of CT from oxy and percs and am still feeling a lot of the symptoms too. Just know that you're not alone in this.

Be brave, the prize is totally worth it.
    lance_9841 likes this.

Hi Lance

Day 7...that's AMAZING!! You should be very proud of yourself. Keep it up my friend, you can totally do this.

I'm on day 4 of CT from oxy and percs and am still feeling a lot of the symptoms too. Just know that you're not alone in this.

Be brave, the prize is totally worth it.

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

You might get faster improvement by losing the Gatorade because of the high sugar content. At your age, you are not too young to test you blood glucose for sugar swings that could be pre-diabetes. This will hugely affect mood and depression. Get your blood sugar to stay within a narrow range by eating very low carb. It takes about 3 days of eating like that and then you get a huge boost in happiness.
    lance_9841 likes this.

Thanks for the tip [I]Thisweekforsure[I]....I will def look at that a little closer. I have been a CocaCola drinker for a long time. Those empty calories are def no good.

Thank you Almost-Free....I do feel at times I am the only person in the world who is going through this as a go to the grocery stores and see all the faces. Its a nice reminder to see others going through the same difficulties and all the stories of how to cope and be strong through this.

Hey Lance

I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade too and I've found it very beneficial. To keep the sugar intake down I've been drinking the G2. It only has 12 grams of sugar and 50 cal per 591 ml.

I've been feeling very alone as well. My situation is similar to yours in that my hubby is the only who knows what I'm going through. And while he's been great, he's still pissed (rightfully so) about ALL of the lies and sneaking around. We've had a few conversations about it but as my emotions are still pretty raw, he's giving me some time and space on that front.

And please remember, you are not alone!
    lance_9841 likes this.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Almost-Free View Post
    Hey Lance

I've been drinking a lot of Gatorade too and I've found it very beneficial. To keep the sugar intake down I've been drinking the G2. It only has 12 grams of sugar and 50 cal per 591 ml.

I've been feeling very alone as well. My situation is similar to yours in that my hubby is the only who knows what I'm going through. And while he's been great, he's still pissed (rightfully so) about ALL of the lies and sneaking around. We've had a few conversations about it but as my emotions are still pretty raw, he's giving me some time and space on that front.

And please remember, you are not alone!
    G2.....I think that is what I have been drinking. I try to drink water as well. I drank water and Coke today.

I'm on day 8 now....feeling better. All symptoms, physical and emotional, are definitely better than days 1-6. Some of the things that have helped me are praying...a lot, hot showers, getting out in the world, and NOT being in bed. I am certainly making strides, but not near great. Went back to work today and that felt good. I look for at least 1 victory per day. That small goal has really helped.

Hang in there.....when you are feeling like garbage remember you are not the only one and it IS one day further away from the grey cloud. You can do it!....I am.

Lance
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-03-2015 at 11:20 PM.

Day 8 is definitely something to celebrate! And the fact that you went back to work today is a double victory. ITA that you have to celebrate the little things in life (more so now) but neither of those things are little so good on ya my friend!!

Are you doing any therapy, group or individual? i know I've been considering NA when I have the energy to leave the house for an extended period. Cause I'm starting to realize that, frighteningly, the CT and withdrawl is actually the easier part. Now I have to learn how to live without my pills. And I'm kinda scared of life without them.

Joey

Hey Lance

I noticed you hadn't been around in a few days...hope you're doing well!