Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mommabear54
  • 1 Post By asp44
I hope I can do this!!
    Mommabear54 is offline New Member

Default I hope I can do this!!

First time posting! I have scoured these forums for a long time but I have decided I am ready to get off of these pain pills and back to my life. After a car accident over 5 years ago I fell right back into it again. I had over 10 years clean and I feel like I threw it all away. No one in my family has any idea. Then last November I lost my Momma who was my best friend. Now I feel like I am numbing the pain. I need to process this to feel somewhat normal again. I have bipolar disorder and GAD (general anxiety disorder) so I am scared I can't do this on my own. I plan to only take a pill when I feel the restless legs coming which is usually at night so I will also be able to sleep. I still have to work everyday and I have a 12 year old son who needs me. I tried CT but I just couldn't stand it. I have most of what's in the Thomas recipe so with the combination I am praying it works. I am starting now so any symptoms will happen on the weekend and hopefully I can sleep tonight. Any suggestions?
    Catrina likes this.

asp44 is offline Member

What are you taking and how much of it on a daily basis? Most of us on here could never just take "one" when the symptoms start. I know i couldnt. It would lead to more & more thus the cycle continues. CT is hard but doable. Keep posting and take it hour by hour if you need to. You are going to need to stay hydrated and keep your mind occupied. Get out for a walk, read a book etc. I know easier said than done. You will get a lot of support here. If it were me i would get rid of any pills you have. Its just too tempting to take one when the wd starts peaking. Try hot baths for the rls or heating pads. Rls sucks!! Stay determined and get thru the first week of acute symptoms. Then it slowly gets better. Wishing you the best.
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mommabear54 View Post
    First time posting! I have scoured these forums for a long time but I have decided I am ready to get off of these pain pills and back to my life. After a car accident over 5 years ago I fell right back into it again. I had over 10 years clean and I feel like I threw it all away. No one in my family has any idea. Then last November I lost my Momma who was my best friend. Now I feel like I am numbing the pain. I need to process this to feel somewhat normal again. I have bipolar disorder and GAD (general anxiety disorder) so I am scared I can't do this on my own. I plan to only take a pill when I feel the restless legs coming which is usually at night so I will also be able to sleep. I still have to work everyday and I have a 12 year old son who needs me. I tried CT but I just couldn't stand it. I have most of what's in the Thomas recipe so with the combination I am praying it works. I am starting now so any symptoms will happen on the weekend and hopefully I can sleep tonight. Any suggestions?
    Welcome!

Can you please tell us how much and what you are taking per day? That will help us give you some advice that will hopefully help you. I understand your desire to try to taper and to attempt to only take something at night to control the RLS. I definitely understand that! I have detoxed countless times (how proud am I?) and the single symptom that would make me procrastinate was knowing the RLS would start up.

Depending upon what you are taking and how much, your plan is going to be a tough one. Feeding the monster by taking something, even if it's just at night, will keep it alive and well and will likely keep you in a state of constant withdrawal. I know cold turkey well. Too well. The symptoms and timeline is very predictable. If you can get your head in the right place and prepare yourself for your last Day 1 ever, you can do it. Plan on taking your last pill on a Thursday night so that Friday will be your Day 1. For short acting opiates, it usually will take 12 hours for symptoms to appear and shouldn't peak for another 12 hours. Working on your Day 1 will help to take your mind off things and will make the day pass quicker. Sitting waiting to get sick just adds to the angst of the entire experience. Days 2 and 3 will be over the weekend so that you can shut down if you have to and take care of yourself. Monday will be Day 4 and you'll be almost out of the woods. On Day 5, the aches and RLS should stop abruptly and you'll be left feeling like you're getting over the flu. Tired but the worst of the physical discomfort will be over.

I hope you check in and I'll be watching for you. Don't be afraid but instead get excited! You are on the brink of taking your life back. However you want to do this, I will support you and try to help. Your job will be to do your best to put this behind you once and for all. Deal?

Peace,

Cat