I want to stop taking methadone but I'm SCARED!
    toxiceyesmommmy is offline New Member

Exclamation I want to stop taking methadone but I'm SCARED!

I have been taking methadone for pain about 3 years. I am not taking it as a alternative for >>>>>>e or other opiates, but I realize that methadone is addictive, but my major concern is withdrawling! I am down to 40-50mg a day and would like to try subutex. My pain is so much better so I don't feel the need for methadone but I do not want to quit cold turkey as some would say! I had to go with out methadone for a day and it was the most painful, piercing, life altering experience and yes I DO NOT DEAL WITH PAIN VERY WELL! IN FACT my family says I over exaggerate pain, flu etc... But this was horrible! Oh and I have gained so much weight! so here are my questions?

Please be honest and please GIVE details!

1. If any, what is the pain/withdrawals that come from switching from methadone to Subutex?

2. I am NOT going to do this cold turkey so are there other forms of medicine like subutex that would work?

3. Is there a rehab or hospital that I can go to for the transfer?

4. How do I do this with the least amount of pain!?!?! How would you do it????!!!!

5. There are so many questions just help me please;)

6. I live in Southern California is there low cost/free rehabs that work and treat you with care?!

Any Info will help!

Thank you,
    Ashley

2angels13 is offline New Member

I completely understand the fear of quitting, and of course you picture WDs looking like a scene from a movie. (Granted they do suck but its not the end of the world) i got suboxone from a friend but i did not take it during my WD i did some research on it and read peoples blogs that took/take it and i didnt want anything to do with it. It can cause a whole nother world of addiction and WD. Please do your own research on it. There are also lots of over the counter stuff to try like immodiam ad vitamins etc. The thomas recipe is what i kinda went off of in a way...i definitely dont encourage it but i used an upper to help with vicodin WD for a short time during the first few days. Im on day 17 now clean. Before i quit i went down to half or just 1 vic a day for awhile and im glad i did. So keep tapering off. You can do this! And you will feel so much better. Can u do physical therapy to cope with the pain you have? I have a fractured back so now im doing the things i was taught. Good luck! Stay postitive

Shill1986 is offline New Member

Unfortunately, really the only question I can answer with reasonable certainties is the one about quitting with the least pain, and that would be to continue tapering, as low as possible, 1-3mgs at a time. I just did the jump cold turkey from 50mg, in on day three and optimistic as hell... Right now. I'm sure when the real nastiness hits in 12-16 hours I'll be less than happy, but it's a decision that I made, for me. Not for nothing, Methadone is great when used as intended. It served it's purpose, and unlike you, I did 14 years of opiates for fun (the back problems came later). I guess this is my coup de grace of sorts. It's sad to see so many caught in the cycle of addiction because of real pain and problems, whereas I can at least look at the suffering sort of as payment for all the madness, wasted time and 'fun' that I had (read: that it cost me).

Aside from the standard gamut of OTCs, and my fiance, I'll probably be relying heavily on these boards and I'm OK with that. Although, I did consider an upper like the previous response. However, with what this is going to cause in my body as is, I doubt it would do anything really positive outside of the 4-5 day mark. Never really been a fan all around anyway.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

I can tell you the switch to sub from methadone is possible.
    I did it 9 months ago and now 11 days clean.

You have got to be in withdrawals first..
    Do not take Subutex during this waiting period..
    If you do you will go into precipitated withdrawal.
    Meaning the buprenorphine that is in the subutex will knock every opiate you have in your body off of the receptor sites where they live ..
    They will do it all at once..
    You will wish you were dead instead on wishing to die..

It was horrible..

Use the COWS to evaluate your withdrawals ..
    You need to be at 26 or greater..
    Not much you can do during that waiting period..
    Because you want to be able to honestly evaluate yourself..

I did go through a 5 day detox but I waited till I could start the sub ( in full withdrawal) before I went in..
    I knew I waited long enough cuz my urine drug test came out clean..

Sub is different..
    It was easier to taper..
    I could never taper methadone..
    Because the more methadone I took the more out of it I would get.
    With sub the lower the dose the better you feel..
    There is another member on here just starting the switch process too..
    I have to run but will check back later
    Getting off methadone was the best decision I have ever made..
    I never looked back..
    Iluv2

Hi thank you shill1986 for getting back! Even with people that are on medication because of pain abuse it so thank you for sharing with me your 14 year addiction! I have a brother that would get into serious accidents and get pain medication and then he just never stopped taking pain medicine and had a very serious addiction but at 2 years he stopped and he is now a 2 year mission! I'm so happy for him and if he could stop I can!
    how many MG's are you taking of methadone now?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-18-2015 at 04:08 AM.

Thank you thank you Iluv2smile!! so pretty much I get that I have to withdrawl but what about the fact that methadone stays in your system for so long! Where as something like vicodine can be out of your system really fast! This is scary and i use to have so much more confidence for stopping but I'm scared!
    I'm so happy to hear about you and your success when I hear things like that it makes me happy

Thank you that is very helpful! How's everything going 2angels13?

Iluv2smile what is COWS?

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there.
    Cows is a opiate withdrawals scale that is used to measure your withdrawals with a number .
    You have to be at least > 26.
    It is like a pain scale.
    Each symptom of withdrawal that you are in during the time waiting to start the induction to suboxone is measured and given a number..

That way a person is not just using time to decide when to start sub.
    Because everyones metabolism is different it is more effective to use this scale..
    It is on this board but I cannot cut and paste it..
    What have you decided?
    Take care
    Iluv2

jrud89 is offline New Member

Default Methadone withdrawal day 4

I was on 95mg of methadone for nine months and I couldn't take the money hungry clinic that I was going to with counselors that avoided every question I had when it came to getting off of it. Now I'm not going to sugar coat any of this but I don't want to scare you and discourage you from coming off the nasty drug. I went cold turkey four days ago. It's currently 3:35 pm.

Every one is different. Everyone's experience is going to be different. Honestly with it being day four I thought I'd be worse off. What I got from reading forums and everyone's story was that day four was supposed to be the worse. Haha. Let me tell ya, it's not fun but it's bearable. In my opinion, when you decide to get off of it you have to have a strong mentality. You have to have to drive and want to quit. That's where I was at with it.

My symptoms... and don't let this scare you... if i can do it, you can do it!!

I'm always cold. When ever I get the goosebumps, which is every other second, it feels like my skin is burning, especially my arms. My stomach is torn up. It's my lower stomach that hurts the worse. Immodium works wonders. Stock up on that. I'm always cold but then again I get hot flashes so it's annoying as hell. One thing I'm starting to notice is my legs. I'm starting to get restless leg syndrome. It started last night BUT I fell asleep for a good seven hours and it wasn't all that bad. A lot of people suffer from Insomnia but I THINK I'm lucky in that department because SO FAR I've been sleeping pretty well. I'm not going to count on it though. Sneezing! Gotta love the sneezing. When I sneeze it's about six times in a row in less than a few seconds. My eyes water but not terribly. I can smell everything. It makes me kind of want puke sometimes because it's so intense. On that note, I don't puke. I just have to go to the bathroom a lot. I can smell clean cut grass, the air, food, ect. I look at this as a good thing. I mean, I want to be able to smell things. Sometimes when I wake up I'm soaked in sweat. It's not all that bad considering it goes away once I get up and start moving around. Now... that's the main thing. You have to move around. It helps a lot. Even if it's around the house. I still have an appetite, which I thank god for. Nutrition is the main thing as well. It's more essential than you may think. I can't think of anything else at the moment symptom wise. I think that's it. Lol. That is a long paragraph of how I'm feeling. Don't let that scare you though. Why? Because it's bearable. One more thing I just thought of... my peronality. I'm starting to become my old self. I didn't realize how numb I was. I didn't realize how much of a "zombie" I had become. So what I'm doing is taking all these positive things and using them for motivation. I did herion every day for over a year. IV user... of course. I know I'm going to get through this and be so much stronger and that much better of a person. AND LOOK AT THE TIME! It's 4:04 pm. That's actually a lot of time that has passed in my opinion. Haha. It's not hell. Like I said, it's bearable. If I can do it, you can do it too. For me, once in a while during the day all my symptoms will go away. Just for a few minutes but it's wonderful. Take lots of hot baths. Sit in the tub while the water fills up. Anything that hits your skin hurts. So don't fill it up and then jump in. Right now I'm sitting against the edge of my bed listening to music and on my laptop doing whatever I can to pass the time. YOU GOT THIS. Just tackle it!! Best of luck. Once again, don't let this scare you and discourage you! - Jess

I was on 95mg of methadone for nine months and I couldn't take the money hungry clinic that I was going to with counselors that avoided every question I had when it came to getting off of it. Now I'm not going to sugar coat any of this but I don't want to scare you and discourage you from coming off the nasty drug. I went cold turkey four days ago. It's currently 3:35 pm.

Every one is different. Everyone's experience is going to be different. Honestly with it being day four I thought I'd be worse off. What I got from reading forums and everyone's story was that day four was supposed to be the worse. Haha. Let me tell ya, it's not fun but it's bearable. In my opinion, when you decide to get off of it you have to have a strong mentality. You have to have to drive and want to quit. That's where I was at with it.

I'm always cold. When ever I get the goosebumps, which is every other second, it feels like my skin is burning, especially my arms. My stomach is torn up. It's my lower stomach that hurts the worse. Immodium works wonders. Stock up on that. I'm always cold but then again I get hot flashes so it's annoying as hell. One thing I'm starting to notice is my legs. I'm starting to get restless leg syndrome. It started last night BUT I fell asleep for a good seven hours and it wasn't all that bad. A lot of people suffer from Insomnia but I THINK I'm lucky in that department because SO FAR I've been sleeping pretty well. I'm not going to count on it though. Sneezing! Gotta love the sneezing. When I sneeze it's about six times in a row in less than a few seconds. My eyes water but not terribly. I can smell everything. It makes me kind of want puke sometimes because it's so intense. On that note, I don't puke. I just have to go to the bathroom a lot. I can smell clean cut grass, the air, food, ect. I look at this as a good thing. I mean, I want to be able to smell things. Sometimes when I wake up I'm soaked in sweat. It's not all that bad considering it goes away once I get up and start moving around. Now... that's the main thing. You have to move around. It helps a lot. Even if it's around the house. I still have an appetite, which I thank god for. Nutrition is the main thing as well. It's more essential than you may think. I can't think of anything else at the moment symptom wise. I think that's it. Lol. That is a long paragraph of how I'm feeling. Don't let that scare you though. Why? Because it's bearable. One more thing I just thought of... my peronality. I'm starting to become my old self. I didn't realize how numb I was. I didn't realize how much of a "zombie" I had become. So what I'm doing is taking all these positive things and using them for motivation. I did herion every day for over a year. IV user... of course. I know I'm going to get through this and be so much stronger and that much better of a person. AND LOOK AT THE TIME! It's 4:04 pm. That's actually a lot of time that has passed in my opinion. Haha. It's not hell. Like I said, it's bearable. If I can do it, you can do it too. For me, once in a while during the day all my symptoms will go away. Just for a few minutes but it's wonderful. Take lots of hot baths. Sit in the tub while the water fills up. Anything that hits your skin hurts. So don't fill it up and then jump in. Right now I'm sitting against the edge of my bed listening to music and on my laptop doing whatever I can to pass the time. YOU GOT THIS. Just tackle it!! Best of luck. Once again, don't let this scare you and discourage you! - Jess