Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
I'm determined to stop taking Oxy ..
    DeterminedX is offline Junior Member

Default I'm determined to stop taking Oxy ..

Hey everyone,
    Crazy i'm actually on here doing this.. never thought as much as I read stuff on here i'd be one to join and get some support.. but, yes, here I am.

Quick story. Over the past few years, I was taking anywhere from 10-60mg of oxy, roxi or vicodin illegally purchased to treat some back pain, doctors were reluctant to give it to me so I had a few people where I could get, and it gets expensive.

Past 3 months I finally found a doctor to give me 30mg a day, when he found out I got spine injections somewhere else and filled that docs prescription for 10mg percocet he got upset, accused me of doctor shopping (complete b.s. mind you) and essentially kicked me out. I tried going to another clinic, he said I was doctor shopping (again, b.s.).

So.. I got fed up, decided to find natural and alternative ways to treat my pain, opiates can go F themselves. I don't want this.

I was able to fill 30 of the 10mg percocets to help me ween off. So I was somewhere a little high around 50-60mg (taking more than I needed to, I'm not perfect) and now i'm down to 25mg a day .. I took 15mg and debating wether or not to take the additional 10mg or just say screw it, let's accelerate this and go to 15 and eventually 0 soon.

I came clean to my parents, girlfriend, sisters and all have been nothing short of amazing and helpful, especially my dad (hes had similar problems stemming from spine surgeries). I did quit for like 2 weeks earlier this summer (stupid me for getting back on).

I want to stop. For good. For the rest of my life. What a disgusting medicine, it's hard to believe the FDA would even make this legal honestly -_-

So.. yeah, i'm here and can use some positive advice sometimes.

Anonymous Guest

If you're down too 25 mg of oxycodone my opinion is that you could stop now with a pretty small amount of physical symptoms. I was taking 30 mg daily for 3 years and quit 26 days ago. I didn't throw up once and had minimal stomach cramps for the first 4 days. Now the mental part was the tough part (and still is) but if you really want it you can do it. I used the Thomas recipe and a lot of baths. Sleep was very hard to get for about the first 10 days.

I was in your shoes 26 days ago and was freaking out but today I can tell you today I couldn't be more happy that I did it. I had my first sober Christmas in 5 years. My thread is a few down I think it's called "advice on quitting Percocet" if you wanna look at my day by day. Goodluck!

hey, thanks for responding to me, appreciate your time in doing so on my behalf.

you dont think i should ween it down some more? i was thinking to at least 10mg..

do you sleep ok now at 26 days? ... kind of crazy you are exactly where I want to be, I told my gf I cant wait until im 31 days sober ..

I used to smoke weed, stopped for about 5 years.. im 30.

I loved to smoke .. I wonder how that would help?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-29-2015 at 09:46 PM.

Anonymous Guest

After taking the 30mg I took 15 mg for 2 days then took 10mg for 2 days. Honestly if I had to do it over again I'd just stop and get it over with. Those four days weren't a whole lot better than the next four. Maybe it did make it a LITTLE better but I wish I would have just sucked it up and got it over with. Do whatever you feel is best for you and what you're comfortable with. Weening down another week is a small amount of time when you're looking at being clean for the rest of your life. On the other had if you quit today you would be back eating normal and getting some sleep within a week.

At 26 days I sleep fine. No I can't sleep in or sleep for over 8 hours but I'm okay with that. Every few days I have a little trouble falling asleep for about an hour but once I finally do fall asleep I'm fine untill the next morning. Sleep and restless legs were my main problems, but it WILL get better.

hahaha you're so right, the weening process is almost as bad .. I was thinking to myself the past few days this doesnt feel any better than a full fledge w/d ..

omg.. the sleep and restless legs, I get it in my arms too, it annoys the HELL out of me. I just mainly want that part to be over, I can actually deal w/ the rest, but that weird feeling in my joints that feels like I need to stretch? omg, thats the torture for me. 8hrs i plenty, i wouldnt need more anyhow.

honestly.. this whole PAWS thing and brain reconfigured because of opiates stuff I read.. you know anything about it?

Are your cravings 'out of control' or 'through the roof' .. or you just think about it then think hell no and it's all good?

you're advice is epic btw

Anonymous Guest

I never really had trouble with arms but legs pretty bad. I'd lay in bed and couldn't sit still so I'd get up and stretch over and over again till I'd get so pissed off I'd get up and go play video games on the couch most of the night. It made me feel better than laying in the dark going crazy.

Ya I've read some of that stuff on here about paws and the receptors in your brain having to heal and how long it could take. That just kinda freaks me out so I try not to think about it. Out of sight out of mind. On really busy days at work are my best days. Sometimes I go hours without thinking about pills then on weekends I catch myself looking at the clock to see if I can take a pill again then remember I quit. Then it's tough to get it out of my head

I had pretty bad cravings on days 14-21 probably. The first couple weeks I really didn't have a hard time, I was so focused on cleaning out my system and I was excited that I was clean but after the new wore off is when it got tough mentally. The past five days it still runs through my mind but if I get up and do something or take a shower it'll usually go away. When I lay down my heart will race for a few minutes but after some deep breaths and planning the next day I usually fall asleep pretty quick.

We sound alot alike. >> rather go play video games then lose my mind in my bed. Its like were going to be stuck w/ the cravings for a bit.. I thought about hypnosis to stop the mental side and promote healthier thoughts, crazy i know, but we dont deserve to have residual bull>>>> from this after cleaning up, ya know?
    I only took 5mg by the way, not 10, small victories yo.
    Only 20mg today.. #winning lol

Smoke weed? Curious .. I havent in 5 years, loved it tho..quit for stupid job, crazy.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeterminedX View Post
    Hey everyone,
    Crazy i'm actually on here doing this.. never thought as much as I read stuff on here i'd be one to join and get some support.. but, yes, here I am.

Quick story. Over the past few years, I was taking anywhere from 10-60mg of oxy, roxi or vicodin illegally purchased to treat some back pain, doctors were reluctant to give it to me so I had a few people where I could get, and it gets expensive.

Past 3 months I finally found a doctor to give me 30mg a day, when he found out I got spine injections somewhere else and filled that docs prescription for 10mg percocet he got upset, accused me of doctor shopping (complete b.s. mind you) and essentially kicked me out. I tried going to another clinic, he said I was doctor shopping (again, b.s.).

So.. I got fed up, decided to find natural and alternative ways to treat my pain, opiates can go F themselves. I don't want this.

I was able to fill 30 of the 10mg percocets to help me ween off. So I was somewhere a little high around 50-60mg (taking more than I needed to, I'm not perfect) and now i'm down to 25mg a day .. I took 15mg and debating wether or not to take the additional 10mg or just say screw it, let's accelerate this and go to 15 and eventually 0 soon.

I came clean to my parents, girlfriend, sisters and all have been nothing short of amazing and helpful, especially my dad (hes had similar problems stemming from spine surgeries). I did quit for like 2 weeks earlier this summer (stupid me for getting back on).

I want to stop. For good. For the rest of my life. What a disgusting medicine, it's hard to believe the FDA would even make this legal honestly -_-

So.. yeah, i'm here and can use some positive advice sometimes.
    Hello X,
    I tapered from 60-100mg oxycodone daily use to zero in 17 days (I was only on opiates for 3-4 months). I was in constant withdrawal the whole time, the depressIon and anxiety was horrible! I could not handle cold turkey so my doctor put me on a taper schedule and obviously tapered me way too fast. My opinion is either taper very slowly with small reductions in mg or if you can handle cold turkey then do that? Everyone is different and will experience different degrees of withdrawals? From what I understand about cold turkey is after 3-4 days the worst is over? Good luck in whatever you decide? God bless us all!

P.S.
    I look for a post that explains paws and what opiates do to your brain, I'll post the link for you when I find it? It's a good read and very interesting!

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Here you go! The first 3 posts have alot of info for you, take a look? You can do this, stay strong and positive... God bless us all!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...ain-65986.html

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Hey, Determined.....

Welcome. The amount of oxy you have been on, while addictive, is not huge. You will have flu like symptoms for about 3-5 days, some of which you are probably already going through, as you taper. That's why a lot of us just go cold turkey, to get it over with.

After that 3-5 days, and I had to work through it......most of the physical is over. But, you will still have that general malaise that lasts a little longer.

The best way to overcome that is simple....exercise. Just 10 minutes of walking produces natural endorphins in the brain that make us happy. We have an older woman on here that walked every morning after quitting from a larger dose than you......she is now over 479 days clean. Exercise is the key.

PAWS is not that common. In fact, it is rare. I think there is some misconception. PAWS (Post Acute Withdrawal Symptom) is not the same as the lethargy that can linger after quitting. And, once again, exercise is the key.

You will be fine.
    Catrina likes this.

Anonymous Guest

When I cut down to 15mg then to 10mg I could still function. Was still working and eating pretty well. I figured if I could cut my dose in half without too much discomfort I figured quitting the rest wouldn't be unbearable, and it wasn't. I smoked weed during high school years off and on, never really did much for me personally. But I've seen other people on here say it helped them and have had personal friends say the same, so whatever works for you.

You can do this if you set your mind too it. I stopped on a Thursday evening so that gave me Friday and all weekend to recover and I was good to work by Monday. I could have worked if I needed to but I'm glad I could relax at home. On my 27th day!
    silverlining1 likes this.

OKC AND silverlining, THANKS for the feedback .. I honestly didnt think anyone would respond to me on here.

I just kept seeing people say PAWS this or PAWS that, and i'm thinknig to myself, "Damn, I kick this habit then I got more >>>> to deal with as if the cravings aren't bad enough?!". .. good to know it's rare .. .my luck i'd get it lol

I plan on starting the new year clan, maybe take 10mg tonight before sleep and make the final leap tomorrow night..

It's big for me, I havent missed a day of using since June 11th .. bad I know

Sell the rest of the >>>> I have .. I did think of keeping 1 percocet 10mg and taping it to my fridge, almost build up my ego to each day i say no to it .. im serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Here you go! The first 3 posts have alot of info for you, take a look? You can do this, stay strong and positive... God bless us all!

https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...ain-65986.html

Thanks Ricky .. God bless

restart is offline Member

Hi deternined. I am on day 12 CT OFF 80-100mg a day and i think it is great you are doing this. I just wanted to say 2 things:
    1. Don't worry anout withdrawal at work. First if all it will be day 3 or 4 and not so bad. Secondly it is actually helpful to be busy and get your mind off yourself. Believe me nobody will know what you're feeling inside just like they didn't know you were high.
    2. If i are doing a taper only take your dose ar bedtime. This way you will srill detox during the day but at least i will sleep at night. I acrually got that from Ricky71s doctor and i did 10mg oxy at bedtime x 5 nights then jumped. And the WD was not bad at all.
    You can do this!

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi There!

I had meant to post to you yesterday and managed to miss doing that. I don't think that your symptoms will be bad at all. Your dose is relatively low. Cold turkey from large amounts isn't fun but doable. Ask me. I've done it countless times. I never vomited or even felt nauseous. Some people do but most do not. Immodium is key for bathroom issues. You likely will experience that but the Immodium handles that quite well. Sleep might be a little difficult through this but you have the right attitude. Don't fight it because it just makes it worse. Get up and do something or watch tv. I slept little to none during detox but I was on massive amounts for a long time. Oddly, I didn't feel tired. It was more frustrating than anything until I just accepted it. I think this was the one symptom that had me caving and running for more pills even after I completed the detox. Once I surrendered to it, I was OK.

You'll be so glad you did this. No more worrying about the number of pills you have. Being able to make plans in advance. That was such a good feeling to be able to say "Yes" I'll go here or there for a long weekend or two weeks without immediately planning on my stash to get through it. The cravings may be there for a while but honestly, with positive thoughts even those aren't that bothersome and they become fewer and fewer and are easier and easier to just dismiss.

Reading and posting here helped me so much and I encourage you to do the same. The pill to the frig? It's a pretty good idea but I have to tell you, when the going gets rough, I'd have that little sucker in my belly and thinking "It's just one and I'll get some relief". In short order it would be residing in my belly. Instead, take it and throw it in the toilet. Say a fond goodbye and push the handle. That was my ceremony.

Day 1 today, right? Good Luck and keep us posted.

Peace,

Cat

PS Silverlining is absolutely correct. PAWS is not that common. I think some people mistake cravings, malaise, and life's ordinary aches on PAWS. I never experienced it and let me tell you, I've done this more times than I care to admit. Almost my 6 yr anniversary days away.
    Ming23 likes this.

I'm so happy I posted on here.. you all are amazing, I really mean that, you all deserve a great New Year.;

I hope you all are right about the w/d not being bad since my dosage is low, tonight will be about 30mg since i want to enjoy my nye, i think i deserve it right? then over the next 4-5 days, just 10mg ... I made the stupid mistake of falling victim to my habit, want to know? as soon as i get home, i take some.. thats so bad, like literally, before i put my stuff down my stupid ass already took about 10-15 mg i need to stop it and take it before sleep so i can actually....sleep. It wears off before i get to bed and its a >>>>>> 8-10hrs til i wake up for work.

im glad PAWS is rare, i was really scared about that actually :/ ugh

im going to keep you guys/gals posted on my progress, i still regret thinking no one would ever respond to me on here, i want to help someone the way you guys make me feel

cheers, heres to a new year, and god bless
    Ming23 likes this.

So Determined. Not only did you cave as soon as you walked in the door, but you already know you will take more "because it's nye. Hmmmm I'm not going to lecture you. Heaven knows that does no good and it's not my job. However, every now and again we need to get real. Today was supposed to be Day 1 if I recollect. Tonight, tomorrow will Day 1. Can I tell you that I said those words for almost 20 yrs of tomorrows? This is your journey and I'm glad you joined us. Please don't take this wrong. I'm just telling you that you need to live up to your user name here--"Determined".

We're most often the cheerleaders but every now and again--like right now it does more good to call someone on it. So, consider yourself called on it but know I'm in your corner and will check right back here tomorrow. It's the way we roll.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 likes this.

PS I sure hope this doesn't discourage you from being totally honest here. That's the way that works the best! Continue to lay it out there and you'll reap the benefits of the support you'll get. Just next time instead of picking up, hop on here and tell us you're about to do it. Oftentimes we can talk you out of it!

Peace,
    Ming23 likes this.

:/ ugh .. you're right.

just going to have company over, my gf and stuff, if ppl sleep over i dont want to be all restless and bathroom issues in the morning and stuff, know what I mean? .. I know, excuses, excuses.

my plan after today (famous last words right?) was to stay at 10mg til next week (thurs) and ill have 3nights to not deal w/ work and just heal up, good plan or no? advice? opinions?

I'm not perfect :/

I need to hear it like that Catrina, straight up .. I screwed up as soon as I walked in the door.

i've been good the past week weening off actually, no slipping at all .. just nye, just want to enjoy myself one more night before i get back to reality, fkd up aint I?

ugh, I just want to smoke weed again, srsly. I need a new job (long story why I quit)

damn I miss it.

ill srsly hop on here next time, i really need someone to say, "DUDE, DONT DO IT !!!"
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-31-2015 at 07:16 PM.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeterminedX View Post
    I need to hear it like that Catrina, straight up .. I screwed up as soon as I walked in the door.

i've been good the past week weening off actually, no slipping at all .. just nye, just want to enjoy myself one more night before i get back to reality, fkd up aint I?

ugh, I just want to smoke weed again, srsly. I need a new job (long story why I quit)

damn I miss it.

ill srsly hop on here next time, i really need someone to say, "DUDE, DONT DO IT !!!"
    Determined!
    While people here will be glad to tell you Don't do It! that really won't ever stop you from doing It. You have to be the one who issues the STOP order.
    Be the name you assumed. Be determined.
    If you really want to give yourself a NYE gift, stop taking whatever has driven you to seek help on an online forum. You say you Deserved this night. It's a lousy gift. You actually Deserve much better!
    You deserve to be free...
    You have a new chance with the new day.
    Happy New Year!

It's done. Leave it there. Back on the wagon train tomorrow. Ming is right. It's only you that can issue the stop order. I did find though if I jumped on here and sent up the firworks, someone would come along and pull me off the ledge. I lived moment by moment and they added up to the 6 yrs I have. I never underestimate a good pep talk and some good sense.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    It's done. Leave it there. Back on the wagon train tomorrow. Ming is right. It's only you that can issue the stop order. I did find though if I jumped on here and sent up the firworks, someone would come along and pull me off the ledge. I lived moment by moment and they added up to the 6 yrs I have. I never underestimate a good pep talk and some good sense.

Peace,

Cat
    So true! The strength of others on the forum sustained me when i had none of my own! You're a gentle and compassionate soul! Happy New Year Cat!

You all are right. .. last night/yesterday i was at 15mg.. today again, i took 15mg but earlier in the day stupid me, didnt sleep 1hr yesterday and doesnt look like today ill sleep either, i might as well just stop, ill take nothing tomorrow and bite the bullet for a couple days, the sleeplessness is the WORST PART, its hell... im so tired, God .. I just want to sleep for 8hrs so bad its so fustrating, I get the RSL in my arms/shoulders more than anything.

im hopeless for a few days until ill ever sleep normal again, wtf..

Smith9666 is offline Junior Member

Just read through your thread here and wanted to say good luck. I went cold turkey off of a 200-250mg of oxy addiction I little over a year ago and it was hell. I went c/t because I couldn't wean off. It was just too hard because I would always tell myself that I would start tomorrow, or give excuses LOL. We are all great at doing so at the time. I would even say that I'm just going to treat myself to it this one time when in reality I was not treating myself, I was making things worse.

Anyways, withdraw wise I am sure should be a lot different for you since you are at a lower dose. None the less, your WD's are just as real and frustrating as mine were at the high dosage I was on. Fortunately, you should start to feel better after day 3-4, as opposed to my experience. I thought after 3-4 days of dealing with the WD's and sleepless nights that I would be getting better. I was in for a wake up call. Day 4 came and it got worse then it had been. I couldn't handle it and went to my doctor, who knew I had an addiction since I was honest up front before stopping. He also knew I went cold turkey even though he adviced I didn't, he understood why I did. Anyways, after 4 days and nights i honestly thought I was going to relapse from the lack of sleep and restless legs. I could handle daytime withdrawals just fine by staying busy. I would take frequent walks, go take my nieces to the park. Anything but sit down worked well.

My doctor prescribed a couple comfort meds which I had declined previously. One was gabopentin in a higher dose to help with the restless legs and the other was Xanax to basically knock me out each night. I had never taken xanax before nor did I have an issue with addiction to it so I do not advice it of course. But it worked like majic and I slept the next 5 nights, 10 hours each night while going through heavy withdrawals. He prescribed enough for 2 weeks and I flushed the rest after I went the 6th night after getting them without taking one and was actually okay. Didn't sleep like a baby but wasn't bad. I didn't want to take it one day longer then needed.

It did get better very fast after the worst of the WD's went away. I am thinking after 4 days cold turkey you should be at that point. Just stick it out and come on here often for support. You seem to have gotten a lot of great advice :-)

Oh, last big piece of advice I have for you is to eat a very clean diet and eat often. I started that on day one and ate 6 small meals a day of all healthy food, high protein and veges and such and my stomach issues were very minimum which is shocking considering the dosage. Drink enough water and stay busy busy busy. Don't lay in bed if you're restless... Take lots of hot baths because it does help although not a ton.

Good luck and I will keep up with your journal. I hope you keep it updated regardless how you do. :-)
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-04-2016 at 05:10 AM.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-04-2016 at 02:50 PM.

Smith9666 is offline Junior Member

Sorry last night was rough. Just remember that every hard night is one night closer to being done! No more long WD's that are spread out slowly.

As far as how much Xanax... I went with what my doctor prescribed which was 1.5 mg (3 pills) BUT I also have never taken Xanax prior to this nor did I have any addiction to it or any plans of ever taking it longer then 2 weeks. Those dosages can cause dependency pretty fast... He said as long as I was on it less then a month its no issue but I didn't chance it and stopped after those 5 days of taking it. I had no wd from the 5 days and haven't touched it since then.

I was so ready to stop at that point though. I think it helps a ton when you feel that way. Like not one more pill would ever go in your mouth again and you have are just pissed off for even taking one in the first place, regardless WHY you started. Legally or illegally really doesn't matter in my opinion. I think often times we make ourselves feel better about out addiction because they were prescribed or the reasons why we started. Regardless I know for myself, I was abusing them and taking too many yet every single one was prescribed and I never doctor shopped. Again, I was addicted and abusing. I have no issue admitting that and I admitted that to my doctor as well. When I did quit cold turkey I had just filled a script and had over 250 pills sitting in a fill bottle on my kitchen island. I do not know fully what happened or what snapped but I was just done and couldn't imagine going 1 more day with that >>>> in my system. I looked at them all the time during my withdraw and each time I didn't take one, I felt stronger. I wouldn't advice ever doing it that way, especially since may any people are to that point ha-ha. You may take them all and then say you will start over the next day. I did that many times prior.

As far as the Xanax, ask your doctor (are you seeing one through this process or going on your own? That's fine too, just wondering). I just do not feel comfortable giving advice as far as that goes. I can tell you what I did but I also had no issues throwing the bottle down the toiled after my wd symtoms at night were under control. For you, that should be no more then 4 more nights tops if you continue to not take 1 single oxy. Please don't, it will just make your WD worse and will NOT make your symtoms any better.

Oh I should tell you that once you're clean and try to take them again, you will never get that feeling you were getting again. At least I do not. I did take them again and didn't feel a thing. I felt stupid for even doing so and after that one day didn't do it again. I think it's a good thing that initial high will never happen again, well at least for me it won't.

Keep us posted. This will be awesome to look back on when you are feeling better the WD's and there are people who will look on here when they first start to see how you did and get strength from your posts.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-04-2016 at 10:50 AM.

Determined,

Glad you're doing this. This is exactly why a quick taper really doesn't work. Taking small amounts does't really help and only delays the detox. Lesson learned, right? I'm sorry your Day 1 with nothing is on Monday. Can you possibly get the flu and take a few days off? I know it's easy to say that it will be only around 5 days but they aren't any fun.

If nothing else, by posting your experience it is likely to help someone else who is contemplating doing what you did. We just don't get it until we're there. This is also a really good place to journal your days so that you can reread and remind yourself how you feel right now. It is amazing because we think we will never forget. We do. And then we relapse. It's why it's important to get the support and tools you need for long term recovery.

Peace,

Cat

thanks smith and catrina

you know smith, at least you went to a doc to get it, only in the last 3 months did i ever have a script, around say 35$ a pill, and the type of habit I had, i've spent thousands... sickening to even think about right? .. but, I did still pay for my colelge out of pocket and hold a 3.5gpa from a reputable university, .. yes, it makes me feel better to say that lol : )

so... yesterday at like 7am I took 10mg, then around 6pm took 5mg...I just got home and im deciding not to take ANY, my gf is awesome and brought me liquid immodium to work, seems to help a bit.
    I did however, start smoking some pot again, dang i miss it and i love it lol it def just now took the edge off a little, not all of course -_-

my dad thought taking a tylenol 3 before bed might soften the blow over the next few days... opinions?

i prob wont do it tho, time to pay the piper ...

you guys rock, i appreciate it alot ... more than you know actually...

plus, TELL ME NOT TO TAKE ANY! i still got the 10 in the drawer, whispering

OH and the Xanas through my doc, i always could get .5 from him but i hate xanax so quitting is no issue considering i never take them...as in ever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast