I'm so scared. How do I get through these opiate withdrawals?
    ninjanz is offline New Member

Unhappy I'm so scared. How do I get through these opiate withdrawals?

I'm 24 years old, have had quite bad arthritis for over 9 years now. Was put on Tramadol for my pain and it helped me a lot, but the side effects are just not worth it anymore. Tomorrow is the first day I will go clean from this drug. The last time I ran out of Tramadol and couldn't get a refill for 3 days, I literally wanted to die. I was in so much pain and the withdrawal symptoms were so unbearable I thought death would be better than going through it. I have done some research and am going to pick up some immodium tablets and a multivitamin tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get through this? I am bracing myself for the toughest challenge of my life but enough is enough, I need to be clean from drug for good.

I am feeling so depressed right now but thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.

Tiredandanxious15 is offline Junior Member

Hang in there bud! I'm the same age as you and am now on day 31 off opiates after about four years of abuse. As you already know the first week will be hell but it is worth it! Take hot showers or baths any time you can. Pick up some magnesium, potassium, and melatonin supplements to go along with what you already have. Force yourself to eat even though it will be hard. Go for a walk around the block or get some form of exercise. Listen to music, rent some movies, and just keep your brain occupied.

Sounds like you've got the right mindset but you need to stay strong. Think of all the positives from quitting and the little wins you have. Remember you will feel like >>>> for a while and just accept it. Every day gets easier once you get past that first week! After 31 days you'll feel like an entirely different person and probably be living an even better life than before the pills.

Good luck!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ninjanz View Post
    I'm 24 years old, have had quite bad arthritis for over 9 years now. Was put on Tramadol for my pain and it helped me a lot, but the side effects are just not worth it anymore. Tomorrow is the first day I will go clean from this drug. The last time I ran out of Tramadol and couldn't get a refill for 3 days, I literally wanted to die. I was in so much pain and the withdrawal symptoms were so unbearable I thought death would be better than going through it. I have done some research and am going to pick up some immodium tablets and a multivitamin tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get through this? I am bracing myself for the toughest challenge of my life but enough is enough, I need to be clean from drug for good.

I am feeling so depressed right now but thanks for any help, I really appreciate it.
    Tramadol is not a med you want to quit cold turkey! Tramadol is like a double edged sword, it has has an opiate effect and an SNRI (antidepressant) effect! Quitting tramadol cold turkey can be dangerous and the withdrawals can be quite severe to say the least! Tramadol withdrawal is more intense and takes longer than other types of opiates because of its effect on serotonin levels!

A slow and structured taper is the safest and best way to get off the tramadol!

How long have you been taking tramadol and how much per day? Update when you can? God bless us all!

Thank you so much for the response and advice. I am going to do this, one step at a time, even if it kills me, I can't touch this drug again it's ruining my life. It's been about 18 hours since I have stopped and I am feeling quite anxious and depressed. I'm going to try and get some sleep though and report back tomorrow. I know it's going to be hell so I'm trying my best to prepare myself for the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    Tramadol is not a med you want to quit cold turkey! Tramadol is like a double edged sword, it has has an opiate effect and an SNRI (antidepressant) effect! Quitting tramadol cold turkey can be dangerous and the withdrawals can be quite severe to say the least! Tramadol withdrawal is more intense and takes longer than other types of opiates because of its effect on serotonin levels!

A slow and structured taper is the safest and best way to get off the tramadol!

How long have you been taking tramadol and how much per day? Update when you can? God bless us all!
    Hey Ricky, thanks for the message. I have tried to taper my tramadol dosage many times but I just haven't been able to do it properly. I'm moving to Europe (I live in Australia) mid July and I need to be off this drug. I know what I am doing could be dangerous but I am willing to take that risk. I can't be a slave to these pills anymore. I was taking 2 50mg tablets twice a day for the past 2 months which is a reduction from when I first started using Tramadol when I was taking up to 400mg a day. My last dosage was 1 50mg tablet in the morning.

Thanks again for the support and message, I really appreciate it

Hey Ricky, thanks for the message. I have tried to taper my tramadol dosage many times but I just haven't been able to do it properly. I'm moving to Europe (I live in Australia) mid July and I need to be off this drug. I know what I am doing could be dangerous but I am willing to take that risk. I can't be a slave to these pills anymore. I was taking 2 50mg tablets twice a day for the past 2 months which is a reduction from when I first started using Tramadol when I was taking up to 400mg a day. My last dosage was 1 50mg tablet in the morning.

Thanks again for the support and message, I really appreciate it
    Well, as you know I don't think it's a good idea to try and kick the tramadol cold turkey! Just be very mindful of your withdrawal symptoms, if things are too intense and uncomfortable then please consider tapering again? I wish you the best of luck, hopefully the detox will not be that bad for you? Keep us updated on your progress? Take care... God bless us all!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.

36 hours in and I'm doing okay. I have taken a multivitamin, l-tyrosine, eaten some fruit, drunk plenty of water and taken some immodium. I am quite depressed, have little energy, am in pain and am very cold (It is the middle of winter here) but I'm alright. I haven't been able to do too much, just been at home watching movies on my computer. Preparing myself for a very tough night and next couple of days but I have faith that I will make it through. There's no going back now.

I haven't told anyone IRL about this so I am feeling alone but I don't think I can open up about this to anyone close to me. Anyway, I'll report back tomorrow..

50 hours in - day 2. Got more sleep than I expected, 4-5 hours. Woke up at 3am and felt like dying but I quickly took some immodium and it really seems to be working with me. Last time when I was c/t from not having a refill and had no supplements, after 2 days I literally wanted to be dead. When I took the immodium, my body seemed to relax and although I'm still really weak and tired, it seems to be helping me a lot. I'm quite pleased and in pretty good spirits this morning. I'm off to get my haircut and try and get a little bit of exercise in instead of being stuck in bed all day. I know I have a long way to go still, but I'm happy with how I'm going so far.

Hope everyone is doing well

50 hours in - day 2. Got more sleep than I expected, 4-5 hours. Woke up at 3am and felt like dying but I quickly took some immodium and it really seems to be working with me. Last time when I was c/t from not having a refill and had no supplements, after 2 days I literally wanted to be dead. When I took the immodium, my body seemed to relax and although I'm still really weak and tired, it seems to be helping me a lot. I'm quite pleased and in pretty good spirits this morning. I'm off to get my haircut and try and get a little bit of exercise in instead of being stuck in bed all day. I know I have a long way to go still, but I'm happy with how I'm going so far.

Hope everyone is doing well
    How much Imodium are you taking?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    How much Imodium are you taking?
    I have been taking 5 a day, so 10mg a day. On the package it says maximum of 8 capsules in 24 hours so I assume 5 a day is fine? Only reason I haven't taken up to 8 like it suggests is because it's so expensive. It cost me $25 for 20 tablets, but so far it is worth it I think.

survivalist is offline Junior Member

Don't listen to the bad vibes, you could get super clean successfully. Take hot showers, and eat whatever you can, start some exercise routine or walk. Read something of interest just try to keep yourself involved in to something. I wish you all the success....

Quote Originally Posted by survivalist View Post
    Don't listen to the bad vibes, you could get super clean successfully. Take hot showers, and eat whatever you can, start some exercise routine or walk. Read something of interest just try to keep yourself involved in to something. I wish you all the success....
    Thanks a lot!

Going to try sleep soon and in the morning it will be day 3. I'm doing okay actually, I think this is because of the immodium. Last time I got to 3 days c/t without any supplements or preparation I thought death would be better than being alive, my physical withdrawal symptoms were simply unbearable. I feel like the immodium and other supplements I got based off the Thomas recipe have helped me so much. I just have to hold on for another week and hope I'm then through the worst of it (although I am aware of the PAWS but I will face that problem when I get there). I just got netflix for the first time and am putting it to good use. Starting watching a tv series I've never heard of and it's really taking my mind off everything.

Thanks again for the best wishes

Day 3 and I actually feel pretty good physically and mentally. I think the combination of 5htp (natural supplement to increase serotonin levels and help sleep) and immodium has saved my life here. I don't want to talk too soon, but I feel as though I'm getting out of the woods already and in 1 more week hopefully I'll be okay again. Over these past few days, as soon as I've gotten those intense physical cravings for tramadol or other nasty physical side effects, I've taken immodium and my whole body has calmed down. It feels to me that it's taken at least 50% of the worst symptoms away and I've had no dioreha at all.

Thanks for everyone who has helped me, I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now, just gotta get through the next week and let my body heal itself.

grandma -bk is offline Member

you should be tapering the immodium...or all your doing is trading one pill for another...let your body release all the toxins...feel every last withdrawl...let it remind you never to abuse pills again...I used for 15+ yrs ..just started 9 mo clean...and I'm 57...if you want this bad enough you will succeed...the longer you use the longer the withdrawls will be...im just now feeling 90% better...good luck...

Tiredandanxious15 is offline Junior Member

I agree with Grandma bk. I used Imodium many times during withdrawal and while they help at first it's not something you want to get used to. I actually didn't even use it the last time I quit 41 days ago. Kind of just decided I didn't need anymore pills going through me.

Good job making it this far though! If in one more week you're not out of the woods don't get discouraged. The day will come when you feel just fine without them.

-T&A

Tramapro is offline New Member

Default What was your Imodium recipe?

Hey ninjanz what recipe did you use to help with quitting Tramadol? The wanting to die perfectly sums up the withdrawals from tramadol. You seem to have had the best results with withdrawals that I have seen yet. I would love to know what your routine looked like. Thanks. I wish you the best and hope you can stay away from those nasty little pills.