Imodium for opiate withdrawals
    Aman89a is offline New Member

Default Imodium for opiate withdrawals

Ok all this is my first ever post on a forum. I've got about a 2 year addiction to hydrocodone. I take roughly 40-60 mg a day. I've got the will power and want to quit I just haven't been able to get over the hump. Here's the second problem. I read all about using kratom to get off pain killers. Well. It worked to replace the high for me but now I've got myself addicted to kratom and hydro. I'm tired of spending money on my bad habit. I've been reading about taking high doses of Imodium to curb withdrawals. I'd like to know everyone's experiences with this. Also I was wondering. I have on hand Imodium multi symptom but I noticed these also have 125 mg of Simethicone which I read is anti gas. Am I ok to take these until I can get to the store to get some regular ones? Also how many immodiums should I take to curb the withdrawals? Thanks for any help

Mikeski91 is offline Junior Member

I used Imodium to curve withdrawals. I didn't start using it until day 2. It relieved the Goosebumps and calmed me from being agitated. It definitely helps. Thankfully, I didn't run into stomach issues. I used the liquid gels 2mg.
    I took 5 of them 10mg and was ok. Taking to many is dangerous! Don't overdue it.

How many would you say is to many??

Mikeski91 is offline Junior Member

I wouldn't take over 6 at a time if I were you. My addiction was about the same as yours between 40-60mg of oxycodone for a year and a half. And that 10mg did me just fine. There's people who take 200mg of that stuff. I would never go over 20mg. Me personally!

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

I want to give you an honest assessment of what I'm seeing here. I might be wrong, but this is just my impression of what I'm seeing.

I think mentally you might not be there yet in terms of 100% wanting to be clean. It's not enough to just say you want to, you have to have the right mindset.

Withdrawals are going to suck. Period. If they didn't, opiates wouldn't nearly be as bad, and there wouldn't be forums like this one around where ppl go seeking help, and there wouldn't be all these other remedies thrown about to try to get ppl off opiates like Kratom. Imodium will help with the diarrhea, and it might take the edge off the anxiety, but it's not a magic cure. We're still talking about going from a 10/10 on the discomfort scale, to maybe a 9.5 or 9/10 on the scale with the help of Imodium.

One step towards being ready to be clean is accepting the fact that you will have to pay the piper and endure some kind of discomfort from withdrawals in order to un-hook your body's dependence on opiates.

Also, what you said about Kratom.... it "replaced the high" but now you are hooked on Kratom. Keywords being "replace the high". You can't be thinking like that.... the vision in your head of being clean still involves this unrealistic scenario where you can be off opiates but yet at the same time still get the high as if you still were on opiates. You can't have your cake and eat it too. There is no magic solution out there that fits that bill. You tried looking for that magic solution in the form of Kratom, but as you can see it quickly failed as the obvious problem with Kratom is that you end up getting hooked on Kratom all the same just like if it were a true opiate (which it is technically not).

Wanting to be clean means just that - clean. Drug free aka high free. You have to have no desire to be high anymore if you truly want to be clean. That's not the say we don't like how opiates make us feel. Of course we like the way we feel. It's just that the ppl that want to be clean and be feeling normal and not high anymore have learned that chasing that temporary high from opiates is an unsustainable plan that leads to much more pain and suffering down the road that's worse than the good the short term high from taking opiates makes us feel.

So, to summarize, in order to be truly ready to be clean and drug free you will have to accept that there is going to be a significant amount of discomfort from withdrawal. You also have to accept the fact that being clean and feeling high are mutually exclusive. It's either one or the other, not both. You have to concede the fact that you will no longer feel high ever again and forever if you are truly ready to be clean forever.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-28-2017 at 04:03 AM.

I just wanted to add one more bit of clarification. There is no such thing as "replacing the high" if you are truly ready to be clean. That's another sign that you might not be ready yet mentally to kiss the high feeling goodbye which is what being clean entails.

Again, not saying all I am saying is right, but it's just my impression from reading your story.

I am rooting for you. Good luck with your journey to getting off opiates.

Being truly ready to be clean would have meant that the very first time you used Kratom and realized it would make you high was also the moment you realized Kratom was not going to be the answer to get you clean. Anything that makes you high is backwards progress as the point is to train your brain to feel fine without needing any substances. Instead, it seems like you went the opposite direction and felt like you were free to keep using more and more kratom as it seemed like the answer to getting high without using opiates.

I hate to be so rough, but I hope that if there is in fact any truth to what I am saying, then hopefully it might provide some insights and change your mentality a bit in order to get you ready for the journey off opiates. That is all I'll say for now.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-28-2017 at 04:36 AM.

Thank you for the input dsh!

CeeCee1985 is offline New Member

Hi Aman,

How are you feeling? I'm currently tapering off an addiction to codiene. I was previously addicted to tramadol which I cold turkey'd from and to be utterly honest it was hell on earth. I got over it and stupidly went back on codiene. This is why I've chosen a taper this time rather than CT. are you able to speak to your Dr and come up with a taper plan? It's not easy I'll tell ya, it takes real self discipline to stick to the dose. What about support from family members?

Take care,

CeeCee x

Well unfortunately none of my family or wife knows. So that makes it very tough for me.

CeeCee1985 is offline New Member

Hi Aman,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're getting no supper from your family. Are you sure you can't confide on someone? My parents found out about my problem and surprisingly have been very supportive. What about support groups? Have you spoken to the Dr?

Help is available but you have to be ready to face it head on and accept the help.

Sending hugs x

Anonymous Guest

Hi Aman. I took Imodium through my current withdrawal, tho only 6 per day. It helped minimize the stomach stuff attached to withdrawal but that's all I was looking for. I'd not take it in high doses hoping for a buzz. It seems like trouble - particularly if there was a buzz. I'd just have something else to deal with. That along with likely harming my GI tract isn't attractive to me.

If you want to be off it all, there aren't any good ways through withdrawal. You'll feel bad. Not for long though. It passes. I hope you can find it in you to accept that, and just deal until you're drug free.

Taking so much Imodium that you feel a buzz is not good news. I don't know if anyone realizes this, but Imodium is basically an opiate. Yes. It just doesn't cross into the brain so it doesn't work like classic opiates we're used to like morphine and oxycodone which of course means we won't get high, that's of course why it's a simple OTC med instead of a heavily controlled substance. So basically, when you take imodium, you actually do have opiates all up in your blood, just everywhere except the brain.. so it doesn't affect the withdrawal process and won't screw up anything by being everywhere but the brain.

It stops the GI and diarrhea because obviously the non-brain part of the body has opiate receptors too... that's how we get constipated - from opiates acting on our guy. So you are basically getting an opiate that acts on your gut (to stop diarrhea) while not touching your brain so you can continue with the withdraw process but with no diarrhea.

When someone mentions getting a buzz from taking a lot of imodium, I've never heard that before. But, I guess it could be possible you could take so much Imodium that such high amounts causes a bit to leak into the brain and you feel a buzz. That would be counterproductive... you are trying to cold turkey your brain off opiates. Obviously feeding your brain opiates during the WD process is gonna screw with the WD's in all kinds of ways, which is exactly what one is accomplishing if it is indeed possible to get a buzz from taking massive amounts of imodium.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-08-2017 at 11:12 PM.