• 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By Catrina
  • 1 Post By Josh0213
  • 2 Post By Josh0213
  • 1 Post By Josh0213
Jump from 5mg methadone
    Josh0213 is offline New Member

Default Jump from 5mg methadone

Right now I'm a few hours from 7 days since last dose. I've been going to the clinic everyday day for 5months. Started at 30mg to 50 in a week or so. After that I dropped myself 5mg every week I had the chance until I hit 5mg for a week. Anyway since day 2 I've felt like >>>> but nothing really worth seeking medical attention. The insomnia is driving me nuts but after hours of rolling around trying to ignore my arms and legs I can usually get somewhere between 4-6 hours. I think anyway I try not to look at the clock, it's just stresses me out. When I wake up I usually feel tired and beaten. How long before I feel somewhat normal? I haven't been able to find a thread with similar details. Been telling myself to think of it in percentages. If someone dropping from 15mg took 30 days that should put me around 10 days or so. I'd appreciate any response since I've isolated myself from anyone that would know what I'm going through. It was the only way to guarantee I'd stay clean.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh0213 View Post
    Right now I'm a few hours from 7 days since last dose. I've been going to the clinic everyday day for 5months. Started at 30mg to 50 in a week or so. After that I dropped myself 5mg every week I had the chance until I hit 5mg for a week. Anyway since day 2 I've felt like >>>> but nothing really worth seeking medical attention. The insomnia is driving me nuts but after hours of rolling around trying to ignore my arms and legs I can usually get somewhere between 4-6 hours. I think anyway I try not to look at the clock, it's just stresses me out. When I wake up I usually feel tired and beaten. How long before I feel somewhat normal? I haven't been able to find a thread with similar details. Been telling myself to think of it in percentages. If someone dropping from 15mg took 30 days that should put me around 10 days or so. I'd appreciate any response since I've isolated myself from anyone that would know what I'm going through. It was the only way to guarantee I'd stay clean.
    Hang tight Josh... There are some members here that have a lot of experience with methadone, they'll be by soon to help you out? Take care... God bless us all!
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome Josh!

There are at least a couple of members who will likely be along sometime soon to help you with methadone experience.

I have no idea if this can relate or not but I'll share the only thing I know about done. My son, an active H addict has been to detox numerous times and each time they introduced him to methadone at 30mg on day 1 with a really rapid taper down to 5mg/day when he was discharged. It was around 10 days before he started to feel better. Don't know if this helps you at all because you've been on done for longer than my son was

Now a bit of motherly advice here. Don't isolate yourself! New friends, new playground--YES!! Get involved. If you don't do meetings, have you considered them? You will get whatever you want to get from them. Yes. There are folks there because it's court ordered. Yes. There are folks there because it's a good place to make a connection. And yes if that's what you're looking for, you'll find it. There are also folks there who need and want support. Yes. That's what they'll find there.

Whatever it takes, but DO NOT ISOLATE. Human interaction, at least for me, was the single most important recovery tool I have. When I get into my own head and into my funk, I get out and get around good, clean people.

You have done an amazing job, my friend. Tapering down on methadone is not an easy task and you did it! Now stay the course and get your recovery tool box filled. We all need that.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Josh. Welcome!

I would estimate that you'll have another 4-7 days, give or take a day or two before the physical symptoms settle down a bit. With the very long half life that methadone has it remains in your system for a looong time. You have some residual build up still in your system that needs to dissipate before you'll feel better. Just how long depends on your metabolism, physical condition, fluid intake, and several other factors. What you can do to help is use the Thomas Recipe, get as much exercise as you possibly can, and drink as much water as you can put down. This will all help your endorphins begin working again, give you some added energy, and keep you hydrated while flushing out the toxins faster. Sitting around the house is the WORST thing you can do. Stay busy!

The mental battle is the worst part. The wd symptoms will really get after you and thoughts go straight to using again. I nearly went mad trying to get off methadone. You have to fight the urges to use again and use all the willpower you can muster up. Read everything you can on these forums and see how others have coped.

You can do this Josh.

You just have to WANT IT more than anything else in the world.

Randy

Here's the link to the Thomas Recipe below -

https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

I would highly recommend you don't use the benzo that the recipe suggest unless you've been taking one for a while under doctors orders. Those things are highly addictive even if taken for short periods of time. And they are one tough customer to detox from.

Randy

Thanks Catrina it was a huge help to here your sons situation.
    Catrina likes this.

Thanks for the support and advice. I plan to get through this without medications. Day seven was so bad getting out and moving around helps tremendously until the leg cramps set in. I haven't isolated myself completely just from those people that influenced my addictions in the first place. Hopefully the next few days will be easier. My mind is set on it and I've made it this far so nothing is gonna stop me.
    Catrina and Randy35 like this.

Thanks for the support and advice. I plan to get through this without medications. Day seven was so bad getting out and moving around helps tremendously until the leg cramps set in. I haven't isolated myself completely just from those people that influenced my addictions in the first place. Hopefully the next few days will be easier. My mind is set on it and I've made it this far so nothing is gonna stop me.
    I love that attitude! Please stay in touch to let me know how you're doing. You struck a special chord with me.

Peace,

Cat

Coming up on day nine. Had u rush of wds today. Thought I was coming down with the flu for a while but it passed after six long hours at work. Not being able to get comfortable and sleep is driving me insane. Does anything stop the restless limbs? Keep in mind I will not take prescription meds.
    Catrina likes this.

Coming up on day nine. Had u rush of wds today. Thought I was coming down with the flu for a while but it passed after six long hours at work. Not being able to get comfortable and sleep is driving me insane. Does anything stop the restless limbs? Keep in mind I will not take prescription meds.
    Have you tried Calm Legs or Hylands Restless Legs? Either or can be found at any grocery store in the vitamin aisle. At night, use a couple of heating pads set on low. Hot baths. I hope either of the supplements will help during the day. Keep on trucking! You've put too many days into this to stop now. Any time you are going to get relief. I feel your pain. I know how it is and it's exhausting! But so worth it once it's over and you have to be almost out of the woods.

Peace,

Cat

Justwantoffopiates is offline New Member

A few years ago I went througj wds after a huge ordeal requiring 3 surgeries. What helped with the leg thing was kava extract for me. Everyone is different, but you may try it. This time around it wouldn't do anything for me, but may help you. Kava also helps with relaxing muscles and giving a sense of well being ☺ also.....try kratom. It helped me kick hydros years back. Just not strong enough RIGHT NOW for what I'm going through, but may be down the road! Read up on it. You can pick it up relatively cheap. Good luck. I know how you feel!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-28-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Add info

Thanks for the advice. I thought of Kratom but by the time an order would come in I probably wouldn't need it. I got some valerian root to see if that would work and gonna try immodium for a day or to to see if it helps. I read the active ingredient will help but I won't take more than the recomended dose so it might not do anything. I tried the restless leg stuff but it seemed to make it slightly worse. Hoping it's going to let up soon but if not I'll just have to deAl with it. I'm a firm believer that suffering through the detox is necessary to truly recover and not want to go through it again. You don't learn a thing from a pain free detox.

Hey, I don't know if you're past the WD's yet but I'd recommend asking your doctor about Clonidine, it will suppress your sympathetic nervous system and reduce the sweating, and excess adrenaline from being dumped into your blood >>>>>> from the detox which also can lower anxiety and promote sleep if you're suffering from insomnia. It's non addictive, is NOT a benzo, and has limited side effects from coming off of it even after long term use. The most apparent symptom can be mild anxiety and temporary hypertension IF used for a long time, but you shouldn't need it for more than a week so that shouldn't happen to you.
    If nausea is a problem, Metoclopramide can help with some people's nausea. Ondansetron works fairly well too for nausea but without health insurance it's expensive as all hell.

I've heard horror stories about Methadone so I'm really sorry that you're going through this, doesn't matter why IMHO. When it sucks as bad as Methadone WD, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Well its day fifteen and most wds are gone. Idk if its the thomson recipe or just time but I'll stick with it. Thanks for all the advice. It was definitely a help.

Mizhammerfist is offline New Member

I'm with you josh!
    Ive been on the program for about 2 years, started at 30mg climbed to 200mg

weird it didn't post my whole reply ...?

Here goes again. Climbed to 200mg and then dropped the same way 5 at a time. Got down to my 5ml and decided to try kicking it and quit the program.
    3 days in I wanted to kill myself. Ended up getting ahold of 300mg of methadone from a friend and have been taking 2ml a day now, still withdrawling. I'm not even off the stuff and I can hardly function. I run a farm so taking a month off work to detox isn't viable, inpatient treatment isn't viable. I've got about 150mg left, it's 5:30am, I slept for 3 hours, have all the lovely symptoms everyone here describes and im honestly terrified for it to get worse. Got any tips or tricks? I'm gonna continue tapering my dose but again I'm really really nervous that the final jump is going to negatively effect my business. Taking time off just isn't an option.

Mizhammerfist -

I hear you on the Methadone wd's. Been there, done that myself. Spent years on doses well over 200mgs. Horrible, horrible stuff in my opinion. Made me like a zombie and drove everyone completely away. I'm able to offer a few suggestions based on experience, and lots of research.

Tapering Mdone is one tough task. You're basically in wd's as you reduce your dose. It's way too easy to take extra when the symptoms get severe, and they usually do. If tapering is your choice it really needs be be done SLOW and steady with dose reductions of around 2-5mg every week or so. You said your still withdrawaing at 2mg per day so the only thing you can do is tough out or raise your dose. It's not easy either way.

What I and plenty of others have done was to switch to Suboxone as that's much easier to taper than Mdone. It's a partial agonist so it doesn;t produce a high or euphoria and allows you to taper and not suffer like you might do tapering Mdone. If you do make that decision it's IMPERATIVE that you do the induction to subs correctly. That involves waiting until you're in moderate/severe wd's before taking a single bit of sub. We highly suggest using the Cows to determine when it's safe to take any sub. It could take as long as 4+ days before you reach the necessary Cows score of 26. Took me almost 90 hours. That's the most difficult part of it. If you do it right it only needs to be done once.

Suboxone is not right for everyone. In fact it should be the last choice of getting clean after all other methods have failed. But it definitely was the right choice for me. It allows you time to get those addictive thoughts and behaviors under control.

Anyway wanted to welcome you and let you know that you have friends here willing to help and support you through this no matter how you do it. You should also start a new thread for yourself in the Need to Talk part of the forum. You'll receive more responses there than here.

Hope this helps. Stay Strong!

Randy

Thanks so much randy!
    What is COWS?
    I'll condiser suboxone, honestly I should probably get back on the program. Luckily I'm not wanting to use, but it's hell getting off the stuff. I will start my own thread. Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Mizhammerfist View Post
    Thanks so much randy!
    What is COWS?
    I'll condiser suboxone, honestly I should probably get back on the program. Luckily I'm not wanting to use, but it's hell getting off the stuff. I will start my own thread. Thanks again

Cows stands for: Clinical Opiate Withdrawal Scale. The Cows is a measurement of how severe your wd symptoms are. Using the Cows makes for a safe sub induction. The Cows gives different numbers to an array of wd symptoms. As you go through wd's you add up the numbers asscoiated with your wd's. Once you reach a culmative score of 26 or higher you know it's ok to take the sub.

If you don't use the Cows and take a chance of taking the sub fater you've waitied a certain length of time you could place your self into what is called precipitated withdrawals. That's wd symptoms that come on instantly and are so severe you'll think you're dying. It's the worst wd's you'll ever go through. So IF you do decide to use Suboxone make certain to use the Cows. Here's a link to the Cows below -

https://www.drugabuse.gov/sites/defa...rawalScale.pdf

Randy