Jumping off sub after surgery?
    Tori1964 is offline New Member

Default Jumping off sub after surgery?

I am having foot surgery tomorrow and have been off my suboxone for 4 days now. The wd has not been that bad because my suboxone doctor prescribed me Tylenol 3 to help with wd and also so the pain relief prescribed by my surgeon (hydrocodone 7.5) will be effective . I have been on suboxone for approx 2 years, and am currently taking 4mg (1/2 of an 8mg film) per day. My question is - can I NOT go back to using suboxone after my surgery? I desperately want to stop the suboxone use and was wondering if this surgery might be the opportune time. I welcome your feedback, advice, support or warning.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1964 View Post
    I am having foot surgery tomorrow and have been off my suboxone for 4 days now. The wd has not been that bad because my suboxone doctor prescribed me Tylenol 3 to help with wd and also so the pain relief prescribed by my surgeon (hydrocodone 7.5) will be effective . I have been on suboxone for approx 2 years, and am currently taking 4mg (1/2 of an 8mg film) per day. My question is - can I NOT go back to using suboxone after my surgery? I desperately want to stop the suboxone use and was wondering if this surgery might be the opportune time. I welcome your feedback, advice, support or warning.
    If I were you, I would use this time to get off the subs FOR SURE!!!! I had dental work done at the end of Sept and I quit taking subs ( I was making a strip last 7 days sometimes longer, so I don't know what % that is) for 2 days prior to that and the few vikes they gave me worked like a champ for the pain. When the pain subsided, I went back to taking the same amount of subs from the beginning of Oct until I jumped off them around 11/11/16. Now here we are like 47 days later and I feel fine, and I never had any of the horrific physical wd's that many on subs experience. I also went from taking a full strip a day to that small % and took that small amount for about a year before jumping. That could be why my physical wd's were minimal. I was on subs for a total of about 5 years and that was way too long. If your mind is made up that you want to be off the subs and your life is manageable without them, I wouldn't go back on them. If you can take the vikes as prescribed bc of your surgery and not abuse them then you're ahead of the curve. Best of luck to you...

Thanks for the reply. It was very encouraging. I hope to not go back on any suboxone after the Vicodin is gone.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1964 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It was very encouraging. I hope to not go back on any suboxone after the Vicodin is gone.
    If the physical wd's from no subs to this point hasn't been that bad you'll be alright.. However, a HUGE % of stopping is mental!!!! You've got to want to quit more than you have wanted to do anything in your life. I can't stress this enough. Everyone is different though and everyone's life is different too, so what worked for one might not work for someone else. But with a clear mind and goals stopping subs is very doable. From personal experience my mind was made up in Oct of 2015 that the 10 scripts I had banked was plenty for that taper I mentioned which went on for roughly a year. Therefore, I just quit going to doc. But at the same time I had enough money saved that I could kinda be a piece of >>>> for a few months while going from 8mg to slivers. The vikes will take the physical wd's away, but just make sure you don't get back into that cycle going from pills to subs bc that is just gonna prolong everything. You can do this Tori, You just have to want it..

Seriously guys, this is so encouraging! I want to quit so bad. I agree that if the Vicodin can keep the w/d at bay, I stand a much better chance of not relapsing. My biggest issue has always been depression, and that's the worst part of w/d in my opinion. I can handle the physical stuff, and have been fortunate to not experience any to speak of. Maybe it's too soon to start counting my eggs, but I'm trying to be optimistic but also realizing how evil suboxone is. It's like it just digs in and won't let go!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 12-30-2016 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Said "relapse" instead of "not relapsing"