Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes
Kicking a 1.5 year Oxy habit in the coming days with Suboxone and supplements.
    oxyblues is offline Member

Default Kicking a 1.5 year Oxy habit in the coming days with Suboxone and supplements.

Hello everyone,

I've been addicted to oxy for the last 1.25 years. Actually, it started with vicoden and now it's around 200mg oxy/day. I'm looking for a little support and advice for what I am about to go through. I'm also going to document every last symptom I have through this experience in the hopes that it will help somebody else one day. Hopefully, yet another story will shed light on what works and what doesn't for somebody. Why let my misery go to waste!

I'll quickly give you my story. Around 10 years ago I was in a horrible car accident and it required me to be on painkillers for 3 months around the clock. Of course, I loved them, and decided I wasn't ready to stop. With all my injuries it was relatively easy to obtain the meds I was looking for. Still, I was able to keep my problem relatively small. That first go around I don't think I ever took more than maybe 12 10mg norcos a day (but probably averaged 6 the whole time), but I did take them for 4 years. When I decided to quit I simply wrote up a 8 week taper, gave the taper and the pills to my wife and asked that she hide them and never give me more than the taper called for. She would lay them out in the morning for me and all was good. 8 weeks later I had tapered all the way down to 5mgs and jumped. Almost painless.

That brings me to today. I stayed off painkillers up until 1.25 years ago. I'm still not sure why in the heck I decided to give them another run. I found some and started taking them. Funny thing is, they were no where near as fun as last time! This entire cycle has been a let down. Don't get me wrong, they were fun enough that here I am having to WD off them. What started as 3 or 4 10mg norcos have ended up at around 200mg oxys. For the most part, though, I would say up until a month ago I averaged more like 20 or so 10mg norcos, so 200mg vicoden. The oxys kind of came and went when I could get ahold of them and lately I have a reliable supply so there you go. They have basically sucked all the joy and pain and general emotion out of my life. I'm ready to give them up and here is my plan.

I initially was going to do the same thing that worked so well last time. I mean, why fix what isn't broken. Except it seems, I am the one who is broken. You see, last time i was very regimented about how and when I took the pills. It was easy to know how many a day I was taking and when I dropped a little for my taper there was a slight discomfort and then I was enjoying them again until the next drop. This time isn't like that at all. I take drastically different amounts any given day. They don't make me feel good so cutting just leads to WD and I don't seem to have any patience or willpower to do a taper. So the taper is out. I'm going to go cold turkey with the assistance of Suboxone.

I've read all about various Suboxone tapers. The thing is, I'm willing to feel some WD related pain here.There is no free lunch. My goal is to simply make it manageable. I want to get these out of my system as quickly as is tolerable if that makes sense so I'm not doing the very popular 6 week plan. I WILL take my last dose of oxy on Sunday evening. By Monday evening I assume I will be in full WD, or at least enough WD to be able to start the Suboxone (I'll be assessing myself with the COWS method). I will start with .5mg of the Sub and dose up every hour until I feel I've reached a tolerable WD pain. According to my research, my best guess based on the amount of oxy I've been abusing will be somewhere between 2mg and 4mg (hopefully even less). It's critical that I take as small amount of Sub as possible. After stablizing (but not completely WD free) on Suboxone I will try and get some sleep. Day 2 I will cut the amount of Sub in half (as long as that amount works) and take it once in the AM and once in the PM. On day 3 I will take the same dose as day 2. On day 4 I will cut the amount in half again and again split that into an AM and PM dose. On day 5 I willl take as small amount of Sub as possible, probably somewhere around .25 and that's that.

The theory behind my plan is to simply use the Suboxone to mask the heavvy WDs from the oxy for the first 4 or 5 days. Then, because of the Suboxone's very long half life, the very short amount of time and amount I will have taken and the fact that I reduced the dose daily, I am hoping that the Suboxone will leave my system in a somewhat orderly and sysematic way. Now, I KNOW it will be painful. I fully expect that from day 6 to day 14 and maybe even much longer I will be uncomfortable, BUT, hopefully it is manageable and I can be done with 90% of the worst of it in a 2 week period.

In preparation for this i went to the doctor and showed him my plan. He thought it was a decent idea and happily wrote me scripts for Suboxone, Gabapentin and Klonipin. I plan on using around 900mg of Gabapentin two times daily AFTER I my last Sub dose. The Klonipin is for sleep and only for 7 to 10 days at which point I will be switching to Ambien. If needed, I will also do a quick taper off the Klonipin at that time, but I think I can get away with that kind of usage without a problem. I do need a sleep aide even when I've been sober for months, Otherwise I would try and get back on a natural sleep schedule without Ambien. It's just not how I'm built. I won't make it without getting some sleep and with a plan like this I don't have the luury of hoping sleep will come my way. Each day is a battle and I need at least a couple of hours in a 24 hour period. I will also be taking a B complex multi-vitamin, another very high quality multi-vitamin and fish oil, lots of water and gatorade, and protein bars. Of course, I'll also have Immodium AD for when that party starts! I'll also be exercising when I can muster the will and utilizing a hot tub/shower if need be.

By far the most popular way of using Suboxone to come off other opiates like oxy is to go into WDs, stablize on a low dose and then slowly taper off that over 6 or so weeks. That seems to have been successful for many people and that's fantastic. I don't want to be on opiates for another 6 weeks. Quite frankly, I think it's playing with fire a bit to extend it out that long. Although I'm sure that is a very comfortable way to do it, it seems to me that gives me 5 more weeks to lose will power and screw up along the way. The way my mind works is I'm either on opiates or I'm not and with this plan I have I am NOT on them after only 5 days. This will give me a lot of incentive to not screw that up. The biggest fear I have is that the WDs from day 6 (or whenever the first Sub doses start to wear off) to day 14 will be too much to handle and I will break. However, I don't think that will be the case. At any rate, thanks for letting me put this all down on paper. That alone is theraputic. If anyone has any comments/support, I would love to hear them.
    Justme1010 likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Welcome,

I only have a few minutes but I wanted to get what will hopefully be a short post to you. There will be others to chime in soon I'm sure.

You're right. I've been around here for a long time and have seen folks who followed the taper plan here very successfully. I have seen a number try a "quick taper" and far more often than not, it doesn't work. You sound determined to try it and I'm not about to discourage you. We all have to do things our way. Please know that if you have trouble with this plan, there are some incredibly knowledgeable people here who can get you back on track before you crack and relapse. Please don't do that. Instead, keep posting and reading here and you'll get all the support and advice you need to get clean and into recovery. I certainly don't mean to be a Debbie Downer!! I truly hope this works for you and you already know from reading here that it will likely be a rough road for awhile.

Gotta go for now but I'll check in with you later. I'd love to follow your progress. This is a safe, non-judgement zone so it's best to be completely honest. That way, you'll get advice that will help you.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35, oxyblues and Ming23 like this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oxyblues View Post
    I will start with .5mg of the Sub and dose up every hour until I feel I've reached a tolerable WD pain. According to my research, my best guess based on the amount of oxy I've been abusing will be somewhere between 2mg and 4mg (hopefully even less). It's critical that I take as small amount of Sub as possible.

After stablizing (but not completely WD free) on Suboxone I will try and get some sleep. Day 2 I will cut the amount of Sub in half (as long as that amount works) and take it once in the AM and once in the PM. On day 3 I will take the same dose as day 2. On day 4 I will cut the amount in half again and again split that into an AM and PM dose. On day 5 I willl take as small amount of Sub as possible, probably somewhere around .25 and that's that.

The theory behind my plan is to simply use the Suboxone to mask the heavvy WDs from the oxy for the first 4 or 5 days.

Welcome to the forum,

I completely agree with everything Cat said. I'm not trying to discourage you either, but the quick sub taper doesn't have nearly the success as the standard taper plan does. Not even close. That's just the facts. With that said I too wish you the absolute best with your plan. No judgement, I hope you make it, I really, really do.

After your initial dose of .5mg and waiting an hour or so you might want to take .25mg as your following doses. No need to take .5mg again as less really is better with this med. You should be able to get stable on a fairly low dose.

The plan with cutting your induction dose in half on day 2 may not be the best idea in my opinion. The induction can actually take a couple days, sometimes 3 days to get right. Your body needs a few days on the induction dose to make sure you may not require more on day 2. Many have inducted at doses of 2 - 4mg only to find they require a bit more the next day. We're all different.

Just my 2 cents.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take the sub too soon! Use the Cows to safely induct.

I'll check on you later. Glad to have you with us!

Randy
    oxyblues and Ming23 like this.

Catrina, thank you for the support and. I would very much like it if you would check in on me from time to time.

Randy, thank you also for the support. I do understand that a longer taper with Subs has been more successful. It works and I can imagine some people would say...why not do what we know works?? The thing is it's all how you look at it I think. I was going to go full on CT with this. No Subs at all and just hope the gaba eased some of the pain. To me, using Subs is sort of a luxury I've allowed myself. They are just a medicine to reduce the WDs a bit in those first 4 horrible days as opposed to a longer taper where people are basically switching from their opiate of choice over to Subs and then tapering from there. That works because with the Suboxone's extremely long half life it makes it much easier to WD from if you do it in an orderly fashion.

I'm going to give this a shot with the expectation that it's going to be a painful WD, but it will also be over much faster. If it doesn't work I'll simply stabilize all the way on the Subs and write out a longer taper. If my goal were to be close to symptom free I would do that from the get go. I wonder if the failure rate of what I'm about to try is because people are expecting a pain free WD? IMO, the biggest danger of doing it this way is that I'm not giving myself enough time to adjust to living without an opiate after the physical Wds are over. But, then again, people who quit CT have to deal with that too.

Randy, I forgot to respond to your suggestion on the doses. I've been taking around 200mg of oxy for the last month or so. I figured that means I would more than likely end up around 4mg on the Suboxone that first shot at easing the WD symptoms. I was planning on going with 1mg as the first dose, but decided to change that to .5 in case I'm just sensitve to Subs. If I see a slight benefit after taking .5 then I will do as you suggest and follow with .25. If it doesn't put a dent in the WDs I'll probably go another .5mg. As far as reducing the next day by half, I'm not trying to stablize on Suboxone. I'm trying to make myself a little more comfortable while I CT withdraw. Like I said earlier, the best way to put it is to take enough to make the WD tolerable. If I find the next day that half isn't doing anything at all to help then I will take more until the WDs are tolerable again. This is all guesswork by me. I'm sure the amounts will be different than what I expect and that's okay. Whatever it takes to get through those first 5 days while still reducing the Suboxone daily is what I'm after.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Randy, I forgot to respond to your suggestion on the doses. I've been taking around 200mg of oxy for the last month or so. I figured that means I would more than likely end up around 4mg on the Suboxone that first shot at easing the WD symptoms. I was planning on going with 1mg as the first dose, but decided to change that to .5 in case I'm just sensitve to Subs. If I see a slight benefit after taking .5 then I will do as you suggest and follow with .25. If it doesn't put a dent in the WDs I'll probably go another .5mg. As far as reducing the next day by half, I'm not trying to stablize on Suboxone. I'm trying to make myself a little more comfortable while I CT withdraw. Like I said earlier, the best way to put it is to take enough to make the WD tolerable. If I find the next day that half isn't doing anything at all to help then I will take more until the WDs are tolerable again. This is all guesswork by me. I'm sure the amounts will be different than what I expect and that's okay. Whatever it takes to get through those first 5 days while still reducing the Suboxone daily is what I'm after.
    Oxy
    4 mg of subs is a huge dose. You would be doing yourself a Favor if you heed Randy's advice and take the Smallest amount of sub possible that eases your wd symptoms. Less is More with subs.
    When you reach 26 on the COWS worksheet (very important), it's safe to induct at .5 mg. Do not follow that with another .5mg, but only .25 mg. That's with waiting at least an hour between doses.
    Of course, you will do what you want, but you seem confused when you say "I'm trying to make myself more comfortable while I CT withdraw." If you're taking subs, it's not a CT wd.
    Be determined and try and absorb what Randy is telling you about sub usage. You've made the right move to want to stop the pills, now give yourself a fighting chance by using the tool of sub correctly. You can do it!
    Remember--Less is More. You will really feel better the Less sub you take!
    Rooting for you...

Hi Ming! Am I missing something?

"I was planning on going with 1mg as the first dose, but decided to change that to .5 in case I'm just sensitve to Subs. If I see a slight benefit after taking .5 then I will do as you suggest and follow with .25. If it doesn't put a dent in the WDs I'll probably go another .5mg."

As I said earlier, I will be using the COWS assessment to make sure I'm far enoug along and it is critical that I take as little of the Suboxone as possible. I plan on redosing only after an hour to make sure I don't take more than necessary. I never meant to give the impression that I would take 4mg all at once as a starting dose. I only mentioned 4mg because through all my research when others have come off similar amounts of oxy, 200mg, that seems to be a fairly common dosage to stablize on that first day. But, it seems much too high to me too! Hopefully it will be much less!

I'm not confused at all. I know it's not technically a cold turkey. I even hesitated calling it that because I figured someone would chime in and point out that I will be taking Suboxone. But, I mean my plan is to stop the oxy and take Subs for 5 days and then stop those. I guess one could call it an extremely rapid taper using Suboxone, but that's not really accurate either because 5 days doesn't really give someone a chance to stablize on the Subs to taper from. So really, IMO, I'm quitting oxys cold turkey and using Subxone to mitigate some of the WDs for 5 days.

This is probably a stupid plan. I just don't have the patience or will power to go with a full 6 week Suboxone taper (although I am determined to quit and if this plan falls apart I will stablize and complete a longer Sub taper anyway).The other thing is I'm sort of punishing myself I guess. I knew full well I shouldn't have put that first vicoden in my mouth and I did it anyway. I have children and a wife and I'm a selfish asshole for letting this get to this point. So I can go on a 6 week taper and spare myself a lot of the discomfort (and put my poor wife through another two months of this) or I can TRY and get this over with quickly and be sick for a couple of weeks. Add to that, I don't really want to be on Subs for that long and risk simply transferring my addiction over to Suboxone. I imagine it wouldn't take a whole lot of rationalization and justification for someone to get comfy with a small dose Suboxone maintenance program and settle into that for years.

Sorry for the rambling. I'm kind of all over the place right now as this gets closer to happening. I really do appreciate the you guys offering suggestions and trying to help and checking in on me. I'm sure I will need it as this unfolds. I will update often for other people who might go through this anyway.

I see your point Ming. Are you recommending that I start at .5mg and then go up by .25mg only and not consider .5mg?

After all this research from the good people here and other sources, I do have a healthy respect for Suboxone. I think I understand it for the most part. Believe me when I say I don't want to take a single .25 more than I will need and I will make damn sure I am 26 or greater on the COWS scale before inducing. The last thing I need is precipated withdrawls to deal with!!
    Catrina likes this.

Hi,

Sounds like you understand the importance of the COWS score. That's good!! I just reread your thread once again. Here I go being a Debbie Downer and I truly am sorry. I get your thought process and your intent to use minimal amounts of sub "to help with the withdrawal symptoms". Here's the one very important problem I see with that plan. You now know how strong sub is and the long half life. While it is likely to lessen your withdrawal symptoms from the oxy, once those 5 days have past, you will have to detox from the subs. Even a few days of taking those will cause symptoms and for longer. If you play this tape out, it just sounds to me like you'll just be delaying the inevitable and perhaps signing up for more days of symptoms that just quitting cold turkey. I know this is scary. But I, and may others have done it from the same or even more mg/day that what you're taking. Is it fun? N00000. But it is doable and by Day 5, they physical symptoms will be gone with the exception of taking a bit longer to sleep well and energy issues. The same will be true for the subs you're going to take.

Don't get me wrong. If you are determined to try this, then go for it! There are others who have done it and I've seen their process here. Not easy and most wish they had adhered to the taper plan here. I get that when we're ready, we just want it to be done. The quickest way is to just be sick for 6 days and you're done. Take those subs and after those 5 days that will be somewhat easier, you're facing the same thing all over again. We'll support you no matter what you decide. We just dole out experience and what we've learned here. Our journey belongs to us.

Good luck!! Don't be apprehensive, be excited. Geez! You're beginning a brand new life. That's exciting. Isn't it?

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I see your point Ming. Are you recommending that I start at .5mg and then go up by .25mg only and not consider .5mg?

After all this research from the good people here and other sources, I do have a healthy respect for Suboxone. I think I understand it for the most part. Believe me when I say I don't want to take a single .25 more than I will need and I will make damn sure I am 26 or greater on the COWS scale before inducing. The last thing I need is precipated withdrawls to deal with!!

Let me just ask, why take the subs at all? Your worried about being on them too long, so why start them? Even if you end up on say 1 - 2mg as your stable daily dose, and take that amount a couple of days, then begin the taper process, you'll still most likely have wd's that last 1 - 2 weeks or so. Maybe not, as that's entirely possible.

If you stick with CT you'll have about a weeks worth of symptoms then it's basically over. Just asking.

Randy
    Catrina and Ming23 like this.

Randy,

Seems we like to post at the same time these days. Ha! Glad you're around today. Rainy and miserable. Good day to get some laundry done and cook. Stay well.

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35 likes this.

Hmm. Those are good points Catrina and Randy. I'm working under the assumption that a true CT from 200mg will be close to unbearable? I've never done it before so I don't know, but I guess the point of the Subs is to alleviate quite a bit of the pain of those first 4 days.

My theory is that the Suboxone will ease the pain of withdrawing from the oxy and I think we can agree on that. Then my hope is that because the Suboxone half life is roughly 10 times as long as oxy AND I will be lowering the Sub dose as I use it, when I stop them it will spread those symptoms out over such a long period of time it will be much easier (relative to a CT quit). Hell if I know if this will work. I expect it won't be fun, but maybe it won't be that bad or at least much better than a true CT.

Sometimes I suspect that people exaggerate the WDs from cold turkey quitting. I'm not trying to say it's not horrible, but maybe they aren't as bad as people make out? Of course, everyone is different and one person may think a certain amount of pain is unbearable while another one will claim it's not that bad. It seems like a lot of it is psychological...a positive attitude will go a long way in helping I'm sure. I will soon find out if I can handle it without the help from the Subs and I will try and give an honest assessment of my symptoms.

Cindy, I am positive and I can't wait to get off this >>>>. I'm looking forward to feeling better and normal again. Enjoying a drink and a long dinner with my wife again. It would be nice to have sexual desires again and to feel the joy and pain of life!

I'm going to be completely and utterly honest with you. I tried just about every method to get off opiates known to mankind except for subs or methadone. What I know about the latter two is what I have learned from this site having haunted it and paid close attention for over 6 years. I lurked here and read everything I could for months before I set my mind to doing it and making it stick. That was in January 2010. I was mentally prepared for it. I wanted it more than most anything I'd every wanted. I set my Day 1 and got excited. I was ready. At that point, I was taking around 180 mg of those little blue basta*rds a day and had been doing it for years.

I took my last pill the night before and of course, slept like a baby. Day 1 arrived and I had felt different, but not terrible. I think I was just waiting for things to begin. I showered and went to work. By afternoon I began to feel like I might be coming down with the bug but honestly, didn't feel horrible. I slept fairly well.

Day 2 well the bathroom trips began and I took Immodium as directed on the box and it handled it quite nicely, the RLS kicked in (the worst symptom for me!) and I began to ache. Anxiety wasn't a big issue for me. I had a bit but I was determined and pushed it aside for exactly what it was. I had high anxiety every other time I quit cold turkey but this time I attributed it to fighting my brain's demand for a pill. That wasn't going to happen. Not this time! That night began my sleep issues. The RLS had me tossing and turning and sleep would not come. I fought with my bed all night. I was in and out of a hot tub multiple times at night and again during the day. I used two heating pads, one wrapped around each leg that did help with the RLS. Occasionally I'd move one to my back to relieve that ache. It wasn't perfect but it did provide some relief.

Days 3 and 4 were about the same. By this time I decided that fighting with my bed just wasn't worth it. I'd get out of bed and sit in front of my computer and read here and post. I couldn't really concentrate enough to read a book but I would have liked to do that. I'd find movies I'd seen before so I didn't have to pay close attention and watch Law and Order or Criminal Minds all night long.

Not a popular thing to recommend, but I did have 3 Xanex at the beginning of this two of those nights I did take one. None during the day. I didn't sleep for eight hours, but the 4 hours of sleep were a blessing.

It must have been on the fourth night that I took a Xanex because I did catch a bit of sleep and when I woke up on Day 5, the RLS was completely gone! I was afraid to move thinking it would cause it to flare up. As I tentatively began to move, I realized it was gone! My aches. Gone! I was left feeling drained, tired, and a bit weak feeling like I was just getting over the flu.

Sorry for the long post. I know for me the dread of what was to come was the worst. Once I got past that and got excited, determined and had an I can do this attitude, I jumped in with everything I had. It wasn't fun, but it was absolutely doable. The term of detox from short acting opiates is very predictable. At the amount you are taking (as did I) you can count of 5 days, MAYBE 6 and the worst of the physical will be behind you. The psychological stuff hangs around for awhile but with a positive attitude you'll get that done too. Sleep takes a bit of time too but it returns slow but sure.

Some people cold turkey and have to go to work the entire time. I'll be honest, I consider myself a real trooper but there's no possible way I'd have forced myself to work through this. 4 days off is what I needed. I worked on my Day 1 and went back to work on Day 6. It was so worth it.

Whatever you decide to do, we'll support and honor your choice. Obviously, you know what I'd like to see you do!

Peace,

Cat
    Randy35, Ming23 and oxyblues like this.

Hmm. Those are good points Catrina and Randy. I'm working under the assumption that a true CT from 200mg will be close to unbearable? I've never done it before so I don't know, but I guess the point of the Subs is to alleviate quite a bit of the pain of those first 4 days.

My theory is that the Suboxone will ease the pain of withdrawing from the oxy and I think we can agree on that. Then my hope is that because the Suboxone half life is roughly 10 times as long as oxy AND I will be lowering the Sub dose as I use it, when I stop them it will spread those symptoms out over such a long period of time it will be much easier (relative to a CT quit). Hell if I know if this will work. I expect it won't be fun, but maybe it won't be that bad or at least much better than a true CT.

Sometimes I suspect that people exaggerate the WDs from cold turkey quitting. I'm not trying to say it's not horrible, but maybe they aren't as bad as people make out? Of course, everyone is different and one person may think a certain amount of pain is unbearable while another one will claim it's not that bad. It seems like a lot of it is psychological...a positive attitude will go a long way in helping I'm sure. I will soon find out if I can handle it without the help from the Subs and I will try and give an honest assessment of my symptoms.

Cindy, I am positive and I can't wait to get off this >>>>. I'm looking forward to feeling better and normal again. Enjoying a drink and a long dinner with my wife again. It would be nice to have sexual desires again and to feel the joy and pain of life!
    Hey Oxy
    As i re-read your early posts, now i am confused. You were taking 200mg pills for a month. What about before that? Is this a one-month habit? If so, I would certainly change my recommendation about the subs.
    Instead, you would be better served to seriously consider Randy's question of Why take subs at all?
    Randy also points out that there will still be residual fallout from the subs. Possibly longer than the ct off the pills would have lasted.
    Cat's story is a good lead to follow. What's a week?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-10-2016 at 06:47 PM.

Cindy, thanks so much for the straighforward account of how it was for you, and you were on a similar amount as me so that makes it even more pertinent. It's nice not to hear "it was so bad I wished I was dead" for once! Look, it sounds horrible, but maybe my hunch was right and it's not quite as bad as some people make it out to be. I think people are proud of the strength it takes to quit CT (and rightfully so!) and so they get a bit carried away sometimes. Again though, everyone is different and I'm not trying to diminish anyone's pain or their reaction to it.

I'll tell you what. I'm going to go ahead and give it a go CT. I've always been pretty good with pain and have the mind set that I can tolerate anything if I know there will be an end to it. I almost wish I didn't have the Suboxone because I wonder how hard it will be knowing I have an out sitting there as I'm going through it. Who knows, maybe it will make it easier? I do have Klonipin on hand and planned on taking that for sleep. Between that and the Gabapentin maybe I can just tough it out.

I don't think I mentioned this, but I'm going to get a hotel room for 3 or 4 nights so my kids don't have to see me go through this. It will be easier all the way around that way I think. I do need to work some. I have a meeting on Monday at noon and then I'm fairly clear the rest of the week. I'm lucky in that I can come and go as I please. Still, I plan on telling everyone that I have the flu and skip out on at least the hardest three days.

I'm going to get a change of clothes together and water, gatorade, advil, tylenol, gabapentin, klonipin, high blood pressure meds (which I used to take anyway and figure not a bad idea to take a solid dose of that through this), multi-vitamins, immodium AD, protein bars, some fruit and...?? What am I missing? Lmao, I feel like a boy scout i'm so prepared for this!

Thankfully, I have the full support of my wife and my mother and all of you fine folks for mental support. I am excited to get this started and over with. If I can make it CT then I'm really, really, really looking forward to that day (day 4 or 5 probably?) where I wake up and think, wow, I feel much better!
    Ming23 and Catrina like this.

Oxy!
    Rooting for you and your good choice. Better to just get it over with! Post when you can...
    oxyblues likes this.

Yes I can think of a couple of other things. At least one and two is better, heating pads. Set them on low for your legs. The Gaba works wonders! I didn't have any the last time but I did once before and it really helped the RLS. Bring a laptop so that you can keep in touch. That one is very important to me because I want to know how you're doing and pull yourself off the ledge if you need me to.

Don't bring the subs. In fact, I'd get rid of them tonight while you're strong and ready to get on with it. Have lots and lots of water and drink as much as you can. Think of it as flushing the toxins! You need to stay as hydrated as you can. Becoming dehydrated is not only dangerous, it will make you feel worse. You can do this!!

I love that you're going to a hotel. Another member did that. I'd like to do that right now. I need a mini vacation. Hmmmm Need a caregiver? Maybe I can come with.

Peace,

Cat
    oxyblues likes this.

Hey Ming, I've been on the painkillers for about 16 months without a break. The first two months I would say I was at around 50mg vicodin. 3 to 4 months in it shot up to around 100mg vicodin. Around a year ago I found oxy. I didn't always have access to oxy, so I would say for the last 8 months I was on 200 to 240 (20 to 24 10mg vics which made me sick and is why I looked for oxys so much). When I did have access to the oxys I would take 60mg vicoden and then the next dose I would take 30mg oxy so daily around 180mg vicodin and 90 oxy. But, the last couple of months it's been straight oxy for the most part and an average of 200mg. Sometimes more and sometimes a little bit less with some vicodin. Lol, kind of all over the place.

Long story short for at least 8 months it was either 220mg vicodin or 200mg oxy or an equivalent of that if you added them both up. Do you guys think that's not enough to warrant Subs?
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-10-2016 at 07:50 PM.

Okay Catrina (sorry I mistakingly called you Cindy), I'm flying blind here and will pick up two heating pads on your advice. Better to be prepared just in case!

Thanks for the support Ming! You guys are great. It's already been a great help and I haven't even taken my last pill! Tonight is the night though. I promise you that. That's the other thing. No matter how this ends up going down, I have no reason to lie to all of you. I'm gonig to be honest and try my best not to embellish any part of this. I hope it helps me, but also I hope it helps other people just like so many of the posts I read when planning my escape has helped me.

I'll give you guys an update a little later when I take my last dose and start this journey. Thanks again for the support!!
    Catrina likes this.

Only you know the answer to that. I'm a wimpy girl and I did it. Don't want to show you up or anything. I'm just sayin...Seriously. Everyone is different. I do admit that I have a good healthy threshold for tolerating things. I push through with most things but am a big baby about others. Only one way to find out, right? Pull that bandaid off and be free!!

Don't second guess yourself. I've helped my son detox from the big H and did it more than once. AND he is one of the biggest babies I know! That's a fact, Jack.

Peace,

Cat

You can call me whatever you want. I've been called a lot worse than Cindy. I do like Vanessa if you want to change things up.

Peace,

Cat

You are cracking me up Vanessa...yep, I move fast. Haha!

I just took the last pain pill of my life. Here we go!!! The clock has officially started! Oh, and I already picked up two heating pads.

Anonymous Guest

Just read through your post oxyblues, congratulations on making the choice to get clean. I'm 38 days clean myself, although my habit was not as big as yours it was longer. I'm not as big of help as some of the others but I'm rooting for you whatever you decide. You CAN do this. I kept telling myself a few days of feeling bad is a small price to pay for the freedome and relief I'm going to have for the rest of my life, and at 38 days I truly believe that.

There is light at the end of the tunnel buddy I promise you that. Pick a plan and stick to it. Subs for a few days great. No subs and go CT, flush the rest. Stay positive, keep posting and listen to these great people on here. They know their stuff. We're all rooting for you.

Thank you for the kind words Okc and congratulations on getting clean. I'm sure 38 days feels fantastic! I hope to be there in...well..38 days! Haha. Yeah, I'm going to give CT my best shot and see how that goes. If you think about it, a 26 on the COWS scale is in some very heavy WDs and it's going to take at least 24 hours to get there. At that point I will already have 1 day out of 4 done so I might as well see if I can go the distance. Thanks, again.

Smith9666 is offline Junior Member

Oxy,

Just read through your thread. Sounds like you are making a great decision and have a good plan.

I was taking the same dosage as you, 200mg, and sometimes more. Sadly enough. I was taking it longer then you. I know you do not need to hear any horror stories but I have to say that I wish someone would have warned me about the change that my wd will not peak on day 2-3 or even 4. I was fully expecting to just tough it out and by day 4 at the most , start to feel better. Not at all how it happened for me. I do know that everyone's wthdrawal symtoms are different so how could someone really warn me, right? The first 3 days were not fun but were in no way unbearable. Night time sucked of course with the RLS but I had no comfort meds at the time. This was my first time wd'ing from anything and had no idea about these comfort meds.

Anyways, around day 3 I joined a support group similiar to this and everyone told me I'm almost out of the woods. Should have one more bad night and be good. Of course I wasn't aware that I hasn't reached the FULL wd that apparently I was to have so when day 5 hit I just couldn't take it anymore. The symtoms doubled and that is by no way an exaggeration. I just read through my journal and I was logging daily. Which I am so glad I did. It's great to go back at and read. I went to my doctor who knew everthing. I was completely honest. Told him i was on day 5 and it was worse. The only symptom I was having trouble handling was the RLS. My tummy issues here not bad nor was the anxiety. I was walking several miles a day and constantly exercising, I rarely sat still during the day. This helped me a ton I feel or maybe that's why I didn't hit wd like I should have? Never thought of that actually. I also drank a TON of water.

At that point I think my doctor felt sorry for me so he gave me some comoft meds. Gabopentin in very high doses for the rls during the day and Xanax at night to sleep. I had never taken Xanax and had no intention of taking it any longer then the 4-5 days needed and seeing how I had a fill script for my pain meds that was just wrote, I think he knew I wanted off of this badly and wouldn't abuse the xanax. He wrote enough for 3 weeks and I took 4 days worth and flushed it.

Thankfully the Xanax knocked me out cold that night and then next few nights I took it. I was taking a hgh dose but waking up 10 hours after falling asleep full of energy was great after 5 days. It made going through the day of WD's I had ahead of me a piece of cake. That day was still full WD's (now day 6) along with day 7 but then on day 8 it got so much better. Day 9 and so on I was sleeping without any meds at all or taking any comfort meds.

Anyways, I found it odd that my WD's did not hit the worse until day 5, 6 and 7 but that's okay. It was the experience I had and was my fault anyways. I was taking that dosage for a long time so that could have something to do with it.

I hope you post often. I would like to read up on your experience and progress through this seeing how your dosage was the same. I think you are going to do as good as can be expected seeing how you're prepared with the meds and man had I wished I had the gabopentin the first few days. It works wonders if taken in the right doses. Plus, its not addictive. :-).

I hope your night goes well. If you can't sleep, don't force it. Get up and move around or shower. That was my mistake as well. I stayed in bed and just made it worse on me which I think was proving some of it was mental. When I stayed positive the symptoms were far less 'horrible' then they were when I sat there feeling sorry for myself. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Ming23 likes this.

Hi Smith, thanks for sharing your story with me. it's always nice to hear from someone else who was in a similar situation as far as the same amounts and what not. I'll try not and focus on the fact that your WDs took so long to go away! Haha! Hopefully my experience will be more garden variety. I'm sure I'll be fine tonight because I took my last oxy only a few hours ago.

Do you remember what dose of Gabapentin you were on? I'm reading about it and I'm seeing a lot of variance. Some people are saying 300mg and others have said they were all the way up to 1800! My prescription is for 300mg pills so I was thinking to try 600mg or 900mg twice a day and see if that helps with the RLS. I know in the past when I would be a little short on my supply RLS was pretty bad for me so I hope the Gaba really works for me in that area.

I do have Klonipin which is a benzo, like Xanax, but with a longer half life. I've taken benzos in the past but it's been quite a while. Trust me when I say nobody needs to warn me about the dangers of those suckers! Oy vey. Don't get me started. But, I feel like they will be extremely helpful. I imagine getting some sleep while going through this would be a HUGE help so I'm going to use them and be careful about it.
    Smith9666 and Ming23 like this.

Smith9666 is offline Junior Member

LOL sorry BUT on the bright side, the first few days weren't that bad. I honestly do not think the wd started until day 4 if that even is possible. Like I was uncomfortable and such b looking back on my journal, it wasn't that bad. I was still sleeping in 5-6 hour increments at night those first few nights, even if I was a little uncomfortable with the rls. For me I think it just took longer for them to get out of my system and that's what delayed what you will probably feel on day 2? Who knows. I was just not expecting it to hit onnday 4or 5 like to did. I thought I got lucky on day 3 but it was obviously too good to be true for the dosage I was on. Maybe if it was just 30-40 mg a day habit.

I was taking 1800 mg twice a day but only did that for 4 days. He did tell me to start at exactly what your doctor said, 600-900 but said that I could safely take up to 1800mg. I had to been given gabopentin in the past for pain that I had when I had shingles and it worked great for the pain. I was taken a high dosage 3 times daily then so I wasn't afraid to just jump right to 1800 and honestly, the rls was bad enough that I didn't even try 900mg. It probably would have worked just fine. I wasn't thinking very clearly LOL. You should feel the relief within 20-30 minutes. If that. At night the Xanax knocked me out so I'm not sure if the gabo helped them or not? Ha-ha. But during the day it sure did. Plus I stayed busy all day long. As you know, sitting down just makes it worse. Well for me it did. I did a lot of walking that week.

It could have been worse for sure. If I had the Xanax from the beginning I think it would have felt a lot easier for me overall. I think everyone can agree that the lack of sleep and the nighttime wd is the worst. So if you have something to help then the days are all mental and keeping busy.

Good Morning!

Just checking in with you to wish you luck. Bags packed? Laptop?? Good. I know you have a meeting this morning. Officially Day 1. Mark it! Will be thinking of you and be checking in to see how it's going. Hope your meeting goes well. My first symptom was having a bit of trouble concentrating.

Peace,

Cat

Hey Smith,
    I think I will stick to 900mg considering I am almost naive to this drug. I took a bit of it two years ago, but not much. I hear it is safe so I'm not too concerned about it. Thanks for the advice.

Hi Cat,
    As a matter of fact, yes, my bags are packed and I have just about every tool I can think of that would help someone through this. I start work early so I'm already here. My meeting isn't until noon. Wish it was earlier so I could get it over with.. The good news is that meeting usually only lasts 2 hours or less and I should be able to sort of fake my way through it.

It's been 12 hours since my final dose of 40mg Oxy and I feel fine. I'll use a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being perfect and 10 being I want to die and it's unbearable to rate how I feel. I'm around a 2, so hardly notice any effects yet at all. If anything the only thing is that I just didn't take a dose first thing in the morning and I haven't done that in 1 1/2 years so it's rather strange. Physically and mentally I feel fine. I will be checking into that hotel this afternoon. Thanks for checking on me!

Sounds like you're on the same path as I was. Day 1 wasn't even a bother. Day 2 things began to kick in and stayed mostly steady from there until Day 5. Hope you're experience is similar. Totally doable. Not fun, but doable. We have to walk through this. We've all tried to find a way around it and there just isn't one. Once we come to terms with that one simple fact, it becomes a bit easier to face the piper.

I'll check on you later. You've become my new project.

Peace,
    Cat

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast