Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By illmans
Kratom - in need of well thought advice
    olinat is offline New Member

Default Kratom - in need of well thought advice

I've been an addict for years. Started with party drugs, than opioids, but because I've seen what has it done to my friends I moved to alcohol and became alcoholic ... had to go thru rehab because it was really bad - I'm only 29 and been dead few times... don't know how I'm still here.
    After rehab my parents decided to bring me back which was amazing - I started smoking pot and they were ok with it even tho they against any mind altering substance at all. But I couldn't stop smoking either ... I have always been on something. And this sucks.
    Till I came across Kratom. I don't want anyone to think Kratom is good because I've read how many grams a day some of you drank.
    But guys tell me something, how should I deal with pain ? While being alcoholic I've had 3 car accidents- few DUIs, after one accident I was in coma , undergoing heart surgery because it ripped tissues from impact.
    I do have a lot of pain ... and I cannot live with it. I rather die than live with pain. But I also rather die if I have to use drugs - opioids, cbd, pot or alcohol.
    Now that you kinds know my story please tell what to do and why Kratom is bad ?
    I mean yes, Kratom is bad - there are many bad companies that I feel "hangover" from , but since I found one , pure one I've been getting promoted at my work , I've had energy , I haven't been stupid like after pot or alcohol , and mainly I have no desire to take anything else than Kratom.
    I had days where I would take too many grams of it - that's why I'm here . But it happens once or twice a month other than that I'm a daily user - I mix louder with coffee in the morning and head out for my day... but I know I get WD because when it wears if I get crazy pains in my legs and wrists!
    So I'm battling giving up Kratom and live with back /heart pain >> use Kratom and live with clean mind and no pain but deal with WD once in a while.
    Please read thru and try to get a feel for my situation and if you'd be kind enough give me an advice. Since I've seen many well educated and experienced ppl in this subject on this forum.
    Thank you very much.
    God Bless you all.

2sleepy2think is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by olinat View Post
    I've been an addict for years. Started with party drugs, than opioids, but because I've seen what has it done to my friends I moved to alcohol and became alcoholic ... had to go thru rehab because it was really bad - I'm only 29 and been dead few times... don't know how I'm still here.
    After rehab my parents decided to bring me back which was amazing - I started smoking pot and they were ok with it even tho they against any mind altering substance at all. But I couldn't stop smoking either ... I have always been on something. And this sucks.
    Till I came across Kratom. I don't want anyone to think Kratom is good because I've read how many grams a day some of you drank.
    But guys tell me something, how should I deal with pain ? While being alcoholic I've had 3 car accidents- few DUIs, after one accident I was in coma , undergoing heart surgery because it ripped tissues from impact.
    I do have a lot of pain ... and I cannot live with it. I rather die than live with pain. But I also rather die if I have to use drugs - opioids, cbd, pot or alcohol.
    Now that you kinds know my story please tell what to do and why Kratom is bad ?
    I mean yes, Kratom is bad - there are many bad companies that I feel "hangover" from , but since I found one , pure one I've been getting promoted at my work , I've had energy , I haven't been stupid like after pot or alcohol , and mainly I have no desire to take anything else than Kratom.
    I had days where I would take too many grams of it - that's why I'm here . But it happens once or twice a month other than that I'm a daily user - I mix louder with coffee in the morning and head out for my day... but I know I get WD because when it wears if I get crazy pains in my legs and wrists!
    So I'm battling giving up Kratom and live with back /heart pain >> use Kratom and live with clean mind and no pain but deal with WD once in a while.
    Please read thru and try to get a feel for my situation and if you'd be kind enough give me an advice. Since I've seen many well educated and experienced ppl in this subject on this forum.
    Thank you very much.
    God Bless you all.

Hello and thanks for sharing. You sound to me like you are suffering - I am sorry for that. With regard to Kratom - is it inherently bad? No, absolutely not. However, just like any drug it comes with consequences. The pain you describe - I am not sure I understand "heart pain"? If heart pain = emotional distress, anxiety, restlessness - those are all classic withdrawl symptoms as well. Can you try to stop Kratom for 1 week or tapper it down? Take a week off if you can/need to. If you can do that and your still in pain or depressed there is a deeper reason. I have no idea how much kratom your taking but in many cases people who are prone to addiction in many cases are self medicating. This is a gross simplification but the vast majority of drugs with "recreational" value act on serotonin and/or dopamine in some way. Many mood disorders are also due to some imbalance in those neurotransmitters. It makes perfect sense to me how someone could not only enjoy drugs but find relief in them. The problem is you become dependent and if your doing larger doses than you should I assume you cant control yourself which makes this perhaps a poor med for you and yes Kratom is a med despite its status. If you can rule out withdrawl than pay a visit to a doctor - a psychiatrist if you can - they have a much better understanding of the various anti-depressants out there and maybe one of them would really help. If you have had issues with addiction for a long time its probably not your fault and that sucks - you were probably delt a genetic imbalance and its pretty common nothing to be ashamed about. Hang in there - tons of meds out there and it can take time to find one that works. I would even go so far as to say small dosages of kratom would be fine if its the only thing that works for you but having addictive tendancies that just isnt realistic. Try to taper off quit - see how you feel keep a journal. If you still feel bad - see a doc. If your in pain, a pain management doc if you can or a psych. for mental pain or just any doc if that is unrealistic. Good luck and stay strong!

illmans is offline New Member

You're in the right place brother, I'm a 27 year old male with very similar history to yourself. my chronic pains probably not to the extent of yours, so my respects to you sir.

But I was just a normal guy that ended up in the opioid den, life changed forever. and kratom certainly is an opioid of sorts, even though not technically. It wouldn't work as well as it does if not.

kratom became my salvation for an entire year a few doses per week turned into more then more then daily then by the time I wanted off the withdrawals were enough to make me claw and scratch and scour the internet for help. I finally kicked then 2 years later fell back into it due to chronic pain.
    The withdrawals frightened me so much I was inches from taking suboxone, as can be seen in one of my threads, in order to get off

I'm on day 12 cold turkey after 6 months straight and I am NOT feeling right still but SO much better than days 1-3. I've dreamed of being free of the dependence for so long now that I have so much empathy for people like us. it has been harder than hard on me. almost mangled.

I cannot tell you kratom is bad. I can tell you my experience and tell you the alternatives that have been offered to me for pain.

I'm probably telling you things you already know but For me one of the biggest problems with kratom is the number of alkaloids in it, which each have a different half life, effect, and side effect. On top of that the strain and the origin changes and the profile can always be different. You generally know what you're getting, but as can be proven by the sporadic nature of the withdrawals I've endured, it's seriously one of natures cocktails.

This has caused me many episodes of thinking I had strange illnesses or conditions while on it. Interfered with medications, even some causing me to go into withdrawal. It's so misunderstood, that in the event of surgery or any accident or need for medical attention, professionals might not know how to treat us. That alone was one of my biggest problems.

Then there's the constipation. Constipation in the form of something that naturally already comes in the form of fiber. opioid + fiber = serious issues that begin to surface if the habit gets to where it does for me after 90 days.

Kratom also brought about terrible paranoia and mood swings that were seemingly hard to track. Couple this with the lack of appetite since dosing is best done on an empty stomach and before I know it my body's in starvation so that I don't miss a dose and start experiencing withdrawals while on a plane ride or in a meeting at work or at the In laws.

That's the thing, if we have a prescription it's at least easy to explain, with kratom, this powder associated with head shops, it's difficult to explain to even people your seeking help from to get off of it.

I don't know what you've tried. But I've been recommended gabapentin, toradol, pregabalin, as well as even baclofen for pain and muscle spasms. All are not opioids I'm told. for me I'm focused on staying off everything until I know what my baseline is so I can at least accurately treat my pain now without it being masked.

All my love to you my friend and much respect to you for reaching or on here. So many don't. So many don't have that choice anymore.

I wanted to add, if you decide to jump off of kratom, I do have very recent experience with doing this em successfully to at least day 12...and counting. Helping meds and supplements etc. as well as people that got me through it.

Reach out we're all here
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-23-2017 at 07:46 PM.
    UncleLeo likes this.