Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dsh12345
Long term addiction, tramadol and codiene
    CeeCee1985 is offline New Member

Default Long term addiction, tramadol and codiene

Hi All. This is the first thread I've done and hoping for some support. Bit of a long story, for about 6 years now I've been addiction to one prescription drug or another. I was addicted to tramadol for about 4 years, the height of my addiction I was taking in excess of 1000mg per day. This ended when I overdosed and suffered a seizure at my desk at work. My parents had an idea of what was happening so I decided to come clean to them and I was extremely lucky in that they were very supportive. With their help I decided to stop cold turkey. It truly was the worst experience of my whole entire life and from around day 2 upto day 5 I felt like death would have been a better option. Within about a week to 10 days the physical symptoms subsided but no one told me about PAWS and how to deal with that. I was very depressed and so lethargic, every day tasks were almost impossible and I was barely fit to do my job. One day I stupidly thought, I'll just have a little pick me up to get me through the day, so I went and bought some OTC low strength co-codomol. I was stupid to think that I could control it. This obviously turned into another full blown addiction taking a ridiculous amount of Nurofen Plus, spending a fortune, borrowing money here and there, even from the petty cash tin at work. I always paid it back but how embarrassing?! Having to play the game of which chemist could I go to that day?! Anyway I decided enough was enough and saw my doctor who has put me on a taper plan of which I'm on day 6 now. I'm proud to say that I've only cheated once. I had restless legs one night and took one extra tablet which was stupid but I've managed to not do it any more. While the physical symptoms are minimal I'm still suffering with depression, lack of motivation, difficulty sleeping etc. Also I'm worried about the end of the taper when I finally stop taking them all together. Can anyone please tell me what to expect? Is there anything I can do to minimise the PAWS? Also if anyone has any questions about cold turkey from tramadol or tapering from codiene please feel free to ask me. I'm sorry for the essay, and I hope it hasn't bored you half to death!

Elcey is offline Member

Hey CeeCee, I was hoping you'd show up with your own thread! And congratulations, here you are. You'll get lots of support on this site. I am by no means an expert as I've only dealt with codeine but I know from reading that even when people are tapering they get withdrawals from their more usual high doses. There is a product for RLS called Hylands Restful Legs which is a life saver for many, myself included.

I have heard that hardly anyone actually ends up going thru true PAWS. I think that after withdrawals are over and we are still so lethargic and unmotivated, it's possible for many to assume that it's turned into the dreaded PAWS. I myself forget what I really feel like on any given day I've been taking fairly heavy doses of codeine for so long. (We spoke back and forth on someone else's thread earlier this week, if you remember?).

How long is your taper supposed to last, and will you end up cold turkey-ing once you get down to minimum? I am unable to taper so always it's cold turkey and coincidentally, tomorrow will be my Day 1. That's the plan Have you looked up the Thomas Recipe - many, many people on the forum swear by it for tapering and cold turkey. Post lots and read lots of other members' threads. I'll be updating mine and will look forward very much to reading about your progress.

I'm really happy you started your own thread; it's the best way for others to help and keep it all straight - you'll have a running 'monologue' like I already do! haha

Welcome, Elcey

Hi Elcey! Thanks so much for your reply. Of course i remember our exchanges

Oh no, most of my message has disappeared! I will be in a little while to repost it

Elcey is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee1985 View Post
    Oh no, most of my message has disappeared! I will be in a little while to repost it
    Great CeeCee I'll look forward to how you're doing. Just at the end of my Day 1 and not feeling too bad at all. Usually hits me the 2nd day. It's like the first day I am sort of stunned without my medicine! Hopefully I'll sleep and catch up with you tomorrow!
    Hugs, Elcey

nextneg is offline New Member

Sorry guys im tapering of tramadol although it was a small dose, just wondering whats PAWS Means? xx

Quote Originally Posted by nextneg View Post
    Sorry guys im tapering of tramadol although it was a small dose, just wondering whats PAWS Means? xx
    Hi all! Just wanted to drop in and let you know all the symptoms you might go through/experience will ALL pass in time. It gets better, I promise! I was on 100-150 vicodin a day and I am currently on my 2nd week of tapering down from suboxone.

nextneg, PAWS is short for post acute withdrawl symptoms/syndrome which in short is someone having/going through withdrawal symptoms after recovering and going through the onset of withdrawals alittle while longer, even whilst being clean. Its also pretty rare from what I have seen and heard on this forum that anyone goes through it. So don't focus on PAWS now and just stick to a plan to get, stay and be clean. Let us know if you need support, though I never messed with codeine, more of a hydro guy, I will try and help as best as possible.

CeeCee, I am read you are not going CT and rather tapering? If so, what are you tapering currently? What's your dosage, times a day, etc? Please give as much info as possible so everyone can offer support and or advice. I cant tell you what to expect cause again, Ive never messed with codeine, (im sure a vet can help there) but I can say you most likely wont run into PAWS

Elsey, do you currently have a taper plan or are sticking to being a champ and going CT? (Which if you are, thats AMAZING & PROPS!) If not, have you made one or researched for one? What's you're game plan moving forward on your journey to clean?

For RLS, you have to tough it out unfortunately or get your MD to Rx you Ropinorole? My md highly recommended it and prescribed me it for RLS, he mentioned its for parkinsons disease but people taking that specific Rx also mentioned in studies it helped tremendously with RLS hence alot of MDs now Rx it for RLS. Do your research however, speak to your doctor, as people here aren't experts in the field, but rather people just like you whom have gone through the same maybe worse and share their thoughts, opinions and experiences. Maybe those things mentioned above might work, but chances are slim as we are all wired differently and at the end of the day, it's an OTC item, can't bank on those doing miracles, thats Why we turned to Rx in the beginning cause OTC wasn't enough, granted you can still abuse certain OTC items though. Remember, there is no magic cure or bullet. YOU must pay the piper, one way or another, but if you can limit the discomfort, why not?! We are here for you. Good luck all, keep posting & God Bless

Elcey is offline Member

"Elsey, do you currently have a taper plan or are sticking to being a champ and going CT? (Which if you are, thats AMAZING & PROPS!) If not, have you made one or researched for one? What's you're game plan moving forward on your journey to clean?"

Hi Hoping, in response to above, yes I cold turkeyed off the codeine. I am unable to taper as the desire to gobble what I have is so strong, plus I have NO discipline whatsoever. This is day 13 and except for sleep, some slight general anxiety and moodiness, I am feeling really pretty good. Mentally, my motivation will come and go, and I can become tired very easily. But, all in all, it was my 'best' (gosh - what a concept - best!) withdrawal ever. I hope never to have to test the waters again! lol

Hylands and a heating pad seem to take care of the lingering late night RLS that still happens right before bedtime, but I'm walking every day and that can only be a good thing.

Good luck to you in your continued journey!
    Elcey

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

Deleted - swearing
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
    Elcey likes this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

One final thing...... tapers of full opiates are extremely hard. Codeine is a weak opiate, so you have that going for you. Al lot of people say "I have never heard of one opiate taper success story" and I used to be in that boat, but I have definitely come across successful stories, but they are rare.

Keep in mind though, I want to make the distinction when I say that. A taper down from your full dose to like 1mg and then off with minimal problems after the jump.... that kind of taper... yes that is very very rare to be successful and I have never heard of a success story going that route. Usually, what the tapers are best for is getting from a huge crazy dose (like 1000mg+ of tramadol) down to a more reasonable manageable normal dose liek 200mg/day in preparation for the jump.

Or like if someone is taking 400mg of oxy a day, taper it down as low as they can, and they end up jumping from like 60-80mg or something.. that would be considered a very good success story.

However, a taper from like 400mg of oxy down to like <10mg of oxy and then jump.... I have never heard of that. It is just too hard to taper and most just decide at a certain point that if they don't go ahead and jump at a certain point, they will eventually lose the 24hr/day battle with cravings they are dealing with and break the taper, or something happens like they hit a rough spot in the taper and are feeling bad enough that a marathon of feeling that bad is worse than a short period of a couple days of all out WD if they just went ahead and jumped so they jump.

Tapers are good for getting your dose down to a manageable one to jump from, but a long drawn out slow and steady taper of full opiate down to 1mg and then 0mg for a totally soft landing is something that is unlikely to be succesful... very unlikely.

So, I wish you look. Rooting for you. Hope it works out. At some point in your taper, I'm sure you will start to get thoughts about just making the jump. Keep your doc in the loop and come up with a good plan together.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-22-2017 at 03:06 PM.