Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Loperamide (immodium) addiction and 7 months pregnant
    Smith9666 is offline Junior Member

Default Loperamide (immodium) addiction and 7 months pregnant

I am in need of some advice. I am currently 7 months pregnant and have been taking high doses of Loperamide for 13 months now.

It started after I went cold turkey off of opiates. What is really stupid is that I went cold turkey and went through the withdrawals WITHOUT the Loperamide (immodium). I didn't start taking this until a good 6-8 weeks later when my withdrawals were over (at least the worst of it) and I was starting to feel good. Not 100% but I was able to sleep at night a little better and didn't feel so horrible. It was hell withdrawing but I did it and got through it. Why I started these, I have no idea.

Anyways, fast forward a year and I'm taking very large doses of it daily. I have tapered down some to try to control it since I am pregnant. I have not talk ANYONE I'm taking this, not even my OB. Time has flown by and I'm due in 7 weeks! I'm currently down to taking 100 pills a day... Yes I know that is a lot but I was at 200 a day just 30 days ago. So far the taper hasn't been too bad or uncomfortable. I tried doing a jimp to 80 because I got freaked out with how little time I have left to get off of these before she's born but I was so uncomfortable that I want back up by 20 for the last 3 nights and I'm back to my Baseline of no WD's. I know WD's are not good for my baby so I'm cutting at a pace that I'm not really experiencing any.

Anyways, I only have 7 weeks left. I'm cutting about 2 a night which isn't bad but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it will start getting harder as I get down lower doses? Also, do you have any advice on a faster tapering schedule or anything as far as that goes?

Has anyone actually given birth while addicted to these? Did their baby have withdrawals afterwards and how bad were they? Do they test for this at the hospital? (That is not my main concern although I can't lie and say I'm not worried about it. My main motivation to stop before shss born is so.that she never has to go through withdrawal. I would never be able to handle watching that).

I'm scared that I won't be able to taper fast enough and I'll still be taking them when she's born and I have no idea what this will do to her. Is there a dosage that if I got down to low enough that she would be okay?

Any advice would be greatly appreciate. I'm new to this site so I am sure that I won't, but please no negative comments. I already am beating myself up far more then anyone else could make me feel. I know I should have tapered a lot sooner and be off of this already. I wish I would habe but I am where I am and need a solution. :-/

Ming23,

I have tried to find info online and have found very very little regarding this. I have found even less regarding pregnant women or women who were using high doses when they gave birth. There was one person who posted on this site earlier this year and that is how I found this site but other then that, there is very little.

I did go to the site you were referring to and I have read through that blog before.

As far as telling my OB.... I do realize that would most likely be a very good option but I almost feel like I waited too long to do that. I am due in 7 weeks and that's if I go full term. I'm also afraid that doing so will result in a CPS investigation when I have her and they will then test my baby more in depth at birth when they normally wouldn't.

I'm still going to do as best as I can to taper while being careful not to go too fast. I haven't found very much information discussing how someone has successfully tapered off of this. Most go cold turkey which isn't an option for me while I'm pregnant. that would be too dangerous.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. :-)
    Ming23 likes this.

James19871 is offline Member

My opinion would be to tell you OB asap. Especially since you've been on this for so long while pregnant. Those are extremely high doses of loperamide. I doubt CPS would get involved since loperamide is legally obtained, unlike illegal street drugs. God forbid there's an issue with the baby, the doctors won't know how to treat him/her. Again just my opinion, I'm no doctor. Keep tapering as quickly and safely as possible.

I wish you and your baby the best of luck!!
    Randy35 likes this.

I understand. I do worry about the baby and what this has done to her. I know I will be very paranoid when she's born over every little thing until I know she's okay.

I will definately keep to the taper but maybe I will do 3 pills a day until I feel too uncomfortable to taper that fast. That way I can have a little time if needed to slow or even stay a few days at a current dose when I get down lower.

I am finding her pediatrician the next couple weeks and at minimum I am definately going to be sharing this with them so that they can have that knowledge to care for her in case something is wrong. I have had prenatal care with a high risk doctor since I was 2 months along and have had extensive ultrasounds and they have said everything is good with her so I am really hoping I didn't do anything that would harm her.

Maybe when I get down to about 40-50 I will not feel as bad to open up to my OB. Then at least I can show that I have been trying and am serious to get off of this. I would have went from 200 a day to 50 and even though I shouldn't have been taking them in the first place, I think that the 100 pill drop I have done in a month is pretty good considering I have been consistent with it and haven't felt many withdrawal symtoms due to doing it at an even pace.

I am confident that your baby will give you the strength to kick this dependency. What better reason than to get off this stuff. I worry for your health as well. People have died from using high doses of loperamide. Please don't underestimate it. I have faith that if you continue to taper and be honest with your doctor, you and your baby will be fine. I wouldn't take any chances. Please let me know if I can be of any support. I wish you and your baby the best!!

James

Thank you James. I am definarelu wanting off of this stuff and I wish I could do it faster but I know it isn't best long-term or helpful for my success. I'm getting absolutely nothing from taking them except to keep me from withdrawing. So there is no motivation to even continue. I'm just very happy that so far I can taper at a pace that is comfortable for me, mainly so I know my baby is comfortable. If I can stick to the 2-3 a day then I will be off of it or at least down to 5-10 a day by the time she is due.

I will find the courage to be upfront with my ob though. She's a great OB and I don't want to lose her as a doctor for me or any future pregnancies. Being honest would hopefully help her have some faith in me to stick to what I am telling her I will do.

Thanks again everyone.

Your doing the right thing!! Hang in there!!
    Smith9666 likes this.

Getting ready to go to sleep and figured I will use this thread as a daily journal to keep track of my tapering schedule and how I feel after each cut.

So I was at 100 pills daily 3days ago when I started this thread. I of course started at 200-220 5 weeks ago and have been tapering since.

Last night I decided to try going down by 10 pills instead of the 2-3 pills a night that I had planned. I just wanted to see if I could comfortably do this seeing how my dosage is still so high. I slept just fine and didn't start feeling the slight wd symtoms until around 4pm, which is what I've been feeling daily since I started cutting. I take my dosage around 7-9pm each night so it has time to kick in before going to bed between 2-4am. (I'm a night owl and enjoy sleeping in).

So last night, 1/2/16 I took 90 and again tonight did 90. I will take it down by 2 tomorrow night. I want to drop by another 10 but am weary of doing so too early and causing me to up my dosage again. So I will be cutting just 2 a night for a few nights then see where I'm at.

(Just for those who may not know, when I say 100- I mean 100 2mg tablets. Not 100mg. So I dropped 10- 2mg tablets and am at 90-2mg tablets now. It's just easier them talking I'm mg when it comes to this).
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-04-2016 at 05:22 AM.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

How are doing on your taper, Smith?

Are you having symptoms after each drop? Check in on your thread and let us know.

I have been racking my brain, but several years ago, it seems I read a story about a woman who had a loperamide addiction...but, I want to say she dropped by 1 (2mg) tab per day. It was a slow taper....but, necessary. I'm interested in how you are doing?
    Smith9666 likes this.

Silverlining1,

Thanks for checking in. I am doing pretty good still. I did stay at 90 for one extra day that I didn't plan just because I did drop by 10 overnight. I dropped by 2 each night since then and am tolerating it very well. I do feel some WD symtoms during the day when I am not keeping busy or just sitting still. At night time around 6-7pm is when it gets the worse so that is when I will take the next dose and it takes about an hour to kick in.

I took 84 tonight (haven't went to sleep just yet, getting ready to now). No wd symtoms noticeable. I'm going to start dropping by 3 as of tomorrow night to speed it up a little but not go overboard. 3 doesn't seem too much but we will see. It may be too much once I get down to 40 a day.

So overall I'm doing well but honestly just want to do drop and deal with the wd for a bit so I'm a lot lower. If I knew how long or how bad the wd would be by cutting my dosage I would probably try it.

Do you think it would be such a bad idea to drop down to 50 pills and hold for a little while to see how I feel in a few days? I'm sure I would be uncomfortable but I'm just wondering if it would be all that bad. It's not like I would be going cold turkey. I would still be getting a dosage each night. Let me know what you think. I would be a lot less stressed if I could get down to 50 by next week. Then I could start consistently dropping again by 2-3 and not feel so rushed.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-08-2016 at 04:50 AM.

LaGlo727 is offline Member

Smith - have you discussed this with your OB yet? I truly believe it needs to be done immediately.
    Ming23 likes this.

I have not talked to my ob about this yet. :-(

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Hey, Smith....

Gosh, I don't know what to tell you. Your thread caught my interest, cause I used loperamide to help with my RLS, the last time I c/t'd.......I used 30mg the first day and then cut it by 6 mg a day......I may have stretched it out a bit, but was done after about 2 weeks.

I did read it could be addictive, and that's where I read that story about a woman that had a massive habit.

I was warned about only using it short term, so you're thread caught my attention. I have recommended people use it to ease the w/d, if needed. So, I wish more information was coming on here.

Have you googled any info on the effects of loperamide on pregnant women?
    Catrina and Smith9666 like this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

I agree with Silver. I've been around and here for a long time after taking and being addicted to opiates for years and years and had only just heard about the lope to help with w/d symptoms. It's only been recently that you and maybe one other person has stayed here long enough to learn anything about this. Honestly, I'm stunned. I had never known about this. Me. The Gobbler of Gobblers when it came to pain pills and my mouth dropped open when I read how many you take a day. Truly.

I'm sorry I haven't posted to you before but ....I got nothing. I thought I knew everything about everything. Now I know I don't. I'll be following your progress. Please do talk to your ob. OK I have to ask. What does this do to your bathroom issues. Sorry. No way to ask that question politely. When taking opiates that's a very common problem. I used lope during withdrawal and just 1 took care of the bathroom trips. I needed at most 3/day for the Days 2-6 and that was it. It never occurred to me to take more. Phew. Glad it didn't or I woulda.

Peace,

Cat
    Ming23 and Smith9666 like this.

Unfortunately there is almost no information regarding this online let alone for pregnant women. My main concern is that I do not want my baby born going through withdrawals. Regardless of the doctors would know if that is what the issue was or not. Someone on here had said that they didn't stop and their baby had wd symtoms for alittle while after birth. I'm assuming it was terrible or they would have been noticed and in the hospital but even a small wd symptom would break my heart so I can't chance it. I would rather be uncomfortable now and go through it lrior to her being born, them to let her take the brunt of it.

What I have read is that most doctors do not know about or beleieve that it can be addicting. I would say I am more dependent then addicted, if that even matters. I do not get any gratification from taking it. It keeps me from going through wd's.

When I first started taking it, I started out low as well. 20-30 mg and then for some reason upped it a few days in a row by a bunch to see what all the talk was about. Then when I tried to lower it, I had issues. For the longest time I only took 25-50 pills a day and 50 was occasionally.

I will never recommend anyone take this for help with wd symptoms, even with giving them precautions because it can happen so fast as far as getting out of control. We all plan to take it for a few weeks and I'm sure most can but for those that can't, you're stuck. You aren't getting high off of it although if you take a ton you will feel some effect, I just wouldn't say the same as other opiods.

I always recommend people go to their doctor and get gabopentin as a way to help with the rls. In high doses, if works well and isn't something you get dependent on.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrina View Post
    I agree with Silver. I've been around and here for a long time after taking and being addicted to opiates for years and years and had only just heard about the lope to help with w/d symptoms. It's only been recently that you and maybe one other person has stayed here long enough to learn anything about this. Honestly, I'm stunned. I had never known about this. Me. The Gobbler of Gobblers when it came to pain pills and my mouth dropped open when I read how many you take a day. Truly.

I'm sorry I haven't posted to you before but ....I got nothing. I thought I knew everything about everything. Now I know I don't. I'll be following your progress. Please do talk to your ob. OK I have to ask. What does this do to your bathroom issues. Sorry. No way to ask that question politely. When taking opiates that's a very common problem. I used lope during withdrawal and just 1 took care of the bathroom trips. I needed at most 3/day for the Days 2-6 and that was it. It never occurred to me to take more. Phew. Glad it didn't or I woulda.

Peace,

Cat

Cat,

I do not know why but I'm not having major bathroom issues nor have I. If I take more then what is I guess you could call my 'baseline', what is need to ward off WD's at night, then I will get constipated. But since I am dropping daily and have been for a couple months now I have no issues. I've been fine and nothing out of the ordinary. I have heard of people who have major issues when taking this though. When I first started I was constipated a little but it never really got too bad. Maehbe because I was already used to the effects of the opiods? Not sure.

I will make sure I keep posting. My progress each night. I will have to start doing a daily journal as far as how many I'm down to and how I feel during the day with the drop.

I know I am not alone in this and maybe if more people come forward and discuss it, everyone else will as well. It's very sad that there is no information online regarding this. What there is online is the same stuff that has been there and I've found maybe a handful of articles but none about pregnancy and what type of WD's the baby will have.

Common sense would tell me that if I have WD's when trying to stop this that my baby would when she's born and no longer being exposed to it. That is if she is being exposed. I know not everything crosses over to her so it would be nice to know if this is one thing she is getting as well. Either way, I'm still dropping daily as much as I can and will be staying on schedule. I have a schedule wrote on a colander that I check off each night and have been doing so for about 6 weeks now. Even if I get really uncomfortable in a few weeks I have to stick to it because if not, I won't be off of these before she's born. I want to get down to either nothing or maybe even just 1-2 pills a day before she's born so that she isn't going to be in pain after this from my stupid choice.

I will be telling her pediatrician about this though, regardless how embarassing it may be for me. I want them to know so that they can see if anything has affected her from this. I know it's very unlikely but regardless, it needs to be looked into.
    Ming23 likes this.

Suziehomemaker is offline Junior Member

Wow i agree with cat....you're story is definitely jaw dropping but that doesnt mean its impossible to quit im new here and dont have much experience in the area but i can always be a cheerleader Just take it one day and a time and continue to quit as soon as possible and tbh i dont think you have anything to be embarrassed about so just tell your ob and i bet you she'll be understanding and may even be able to put your mind at ease. I can tell you already love your baby so keep going you got this
    Smith9666 likes this.

Jan 8-2016

Tonight I dropped by 3 pills- 6mg. I am down to 81 pills now. Today wasn't bad at all. Just the same uncomfortable WD feelings I get as usual around 2p-3p but I did take the dosage a lot later last night then normal. I took tonight's dose earlier then normal, @6pm so I will probably feel it a lot earlier tomorrow. Which is okay. That actually just confirms to me that my body is getting less of it and is going to have to adjust. It is what it is.

Even with the uncomfortable feeling, it is nothing compared to how I would feel going cold turkey. So the plan is to keep dropping by 3 pills a night. I know it doesn't seem like a lot, especially considering I'm taking 81 still but 3 pills a night for a week is 21 pills dropped in one week. A week from now I can be down to 60 pills a day. That is a huge difference for one weeks time. 40mg dropped. I am prepared for the possibility that when I get lower, around 30-40 pills a day, that dropping by 3 a night may be too much. What I plan to do then, I'm not sure. I want to continue on but being pregnant, I do not want to put any stress on the baby. I know right now the little bit of WD symtoms I do feel are not bad. It's just uncomfortable. So I will continue with it as at a pace that I'm uncomfortable by 12 hours after the last dose and then deal with it for the remainder of the time until its 7pm and time for my next dose. Hopefully doing this will allow me to get used to my lower dose faster. If I give in and take 10 when I'm uncomfortable at the time, it is just going to be counterproductive.

I do appreciate everyone who has replied. I know it's not easy to give advice when you are unsure of what to say or even what would be best. Until i figure out what is best I will consistently drop and stay on schedule with the taper. At least I can do that little bit to make this situation just a little better. I have to just hope that she goes full term and is NOT born early. Most pregnant women would love to have their baby a few weeks early but for me, that would not be good. I will not be low enough on my dosage to feel okay about it BUT I am a lot lower then I was 6 weeks ago when I was taking over 200 pills a day!

Now at 80, I can't imagine doing that many ever again. I also cannot believe I have dropped by that many in this short period of time without doing a huge cold turkey cut and going through hell. I think this is actually something for those who are taking high doses to consider. It's hard to taper slowly when it comes to other pills because of the dosages. For this, its easier since the pills are such small doses and the quantities taken when abused are typically very high.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-09-2016 at 12:40 AM.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Smith!
    When do u see the doctor? I would certainly tell her about this. No shame. It's just imodium!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming23 View Post
    Smith!
    When do u see the doctor? I would certainly tell her about this. No shame. It's just imodium!

I have another appointment Wednesday with my OB.

Jan 10-2016

I am at 77 pills tonight. I have only dropped 2 a night the last two nights because I was getting more uncomfortable during the day a lot earlier when I did a drop by 10 and then 3 each night. Today was good so I'll do one more day of 2 and then tomorrow night drop by 3 again. I'm trying to do this as fast as I can but without being in constant withdrawal from it either. I think it will be a lot mroe sucessful that way and honestly, I am very happy that the number is constantly dropping. If I continue to drop by 2 mimimum (3 until im uncomortable then slow it down a bit) each night I will be down low enough so that when she's born she isn't having withdrawal symtoms.

So still not feeling great about where I'm at as far as even being dumb enough to be on this but I'm feeling good about my progress. I just need to focus on consistently dropping.

Anonymous Guest

I can't help you any as far as the Medicen you're taking, sorry. But I've been reading your post for a few days. What a great reason to get clean and better your life than your child. I'm sure it's not easy for you but you've got an amazing reason to be strong. You can do this. We all believe in you, stay strong smith.
    Smith9666 likes this.

TJSMommy is offline New Member

Ive been cruising the forums for weeks now as I have come off suboxone. Been watching / reading your story. Super proud you are getting off this stuff. But I can't live with myself if I don't urge you to tell the Doctor on your next appt. It's better to have it all out on the table before labor.
    Keep up the good work on tapering down! Enjoy the last weeks of pregnancy. I loved being pregnant. Hugs!
    Smith9666 likes this.

LaGlo727 is offline Member

Smith - when you say dropping the amount makes you "uncomfortable ", what does that mean? As in, how do you feel? This might sound like I'm being Captain Obvious and I truly hope you don't take it the wrong way. But late stages of pregnancy are pretty uncomfortable in general for most women. Just want to urge you to try to look at your symptoms objectively and identify if it is genuinely WD that is making you feel that way or if it's just part of being pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by LaGlo727 View Post
    Smith - when you say dropping the amount makes you "uncomfortable ", what does that mean? As in, how do you feel? This might sound like I'm being Captain Obvious and I truly hope you don't take it the wrong way. But late stages of pregnancy are pretty uncomfortable in general for most women. Just want to urge you to try to look at your symptoms objectively and identify if it is genuinely WD that is making you feel that way or if it's just part of being pregnant.

LaGlo727,

When I lower my dose I feel wd symptoms throughout the day. Restless legs, the overall annoying feeling of my skin crawling. It's not as bad as it would be if I just stopped of course so I'm thankful for that. Nifhtime is becoming a little more of an issue as well but if I stay on the same dosage for a couple days it will calm down. So far though it's not so bad at night that I want to stop dropping or can't take it.

Luckily as far as pregnancy symptoms, I'm doing great. I don't have any complaints on the typical things. No back pain, no heartburn or any of that. I think it's making up for the first 5 months when I was nauseaus 24 hours a day and lost a ton of weight LOL. That was no fun.

Sorry I've been off with severe migraines but i got a chance to ask a friend (whos an ob/delivery nurse) she says to absolutely get off of them as quickly as your body will allow (dont send yourself into severe withdrawal ) but keep dropping as much as possible ♡ good luck hun and keep going ,just think of that innocent precious baby and you'll be able to kick this asap and whatever you do dont start back up if you're planning on nursing
    Many blessings ♡♡♡♡
    Smith9666 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suziehomemaker View Post
    Sorry I've been off with severe migraines but i got a chance to ask a friend (whos an ob/delivery nurse) she says to absolutely get off of them as quickly as your body will allow (dont send yourself into severe withdrawal ) but keep dropping as much as possible ♡ good luck hun and keep going ,just think of that innocent precious baby and you'll be able to kick this asap and whatever you do dont start back up if you're planning on nursing
    Many blessings ♡♡♡♡
    Thank you so much for taking the time to ask your friend. I am definately sticking to my taper schedule and doing as much as I can but in a responsible way so I'm not putting the baby into any discomfort as well. If it were just me I would just stop, but then again if it were just me I may not have the motivation to stop either :-/

Can I ask you to ask her one more thing for me? This is my biggest concern and what I worry about the most. Can you ask her a what dosage would I need to get to before I can feel safe that she will not be going through withawals when she's born? I'm not asking so that I can stop at a certain dose, because I need off of this regardless. I want to breastfeed but I know I have to be clean from this first. So that's a huge motivation as well.

I'm asking because if when my dosage is down to 40 a day or so and um wd'int worse when trying to drop by 2 each night, I would like to know that I can slow down a day or two and just drop by 1... Hopefully that made sense.

I only took 60 (yeah, I know using the word only is horrible ifht now but compared to the 200 I was at not too long ago it's pretty good) tonight at 530 and am feeling okay. I am trying not to think about it is even question how I'm feeling I'm hopes that I can just get away with 60 and hold maybe for a few days. I doubt 60 is achievable since I was seeing how I took 77 last night and 81 the night before. That's a big difference in mg but I would love to just stick it out and deal with the wd symptoms I do get. The issue is I need to think about how she is feeling and handling it. What a mess. :-/

I will ask her after her shift ...i do know she would like to see you down to 2 by the time of delivery so the baby wont have any withdraws or bowel obstruction and zero while nursing ,i know that feels scary to you but i also can see your love for your baby is stronger than addiction ♡♡ just look at it this way....if someone takes your baby away from you with the intention of doing harm to her you would do anything to save her ,even risk your own life because thats what mommy bears do so that alone should give you the strength you need to keep her safe in and out of your womb You are doing amazing so far so pat yourself on the back! I dont know you personally but i can tell and see you love this baby enough to sacrifice your own comfort and addiction for her safety ♡♡ i will post back as soon as i talk to her , remember you are stronger than you think ♡♡♡♡♡
    Smith9666 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Suziehomemaker View Post
    I will ask her after her shift ...i do know she would like to see you down to 2 by the time of delivery so the baby wont have any withdraws or bowel obstruction and zero while nursing ,i know that feels scary to you but i also can see your love for your baby is stronger than addiction ♡♡ just look at it this way....if someone takes your baby away from you with the intention of doing harm to her you would do anything to save her ,even risk your own life because thats what mommy bears do so that alone should give you the strength you need to keep her safe in and out of your womb You are doing amazing so far so pat yourself on the back! I dont know you personally but i can tell and see you love this baby enough to sacrifice your own comfort and addiction for her safety ♡♡ i will post back as soon as i talk to her , remember you are stronger than you think ♡♡♡♡♡
    I was thinking the same thing. At least down to 2 if I cannot make the last drop by the time she's born. I'll try but just in case it's good to know that 2 would be okay for a few extra days.

Thanks for checking for me and for responding. I do appreciate it. I didn't end up dropping to the 60 last night. It didn't last long as far as feeling okay and the wd symptoms started a lot works. So I went back up to the dose I had the night before minus the 2. So not a completely failure seeing how that is the plan anyways but I guess I was just trying to cheat LOL. Slow and steady seems to be the way to go and so far, no signs that she will be coming early thankfully.

Thanks again everyone. I'll keep posting my dosages as i cut. :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast