Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 10years39days
  • 2 Post By Randy35
LOWEST mg of subs pregnant woman has been on and baby was born w/ NAS
    Bellestime2stop is offline New Member

Default LOWEST mg of subs pregnant woman has been on and baby was born w/ NAS

Hello! I want to tell you what I’m not looking for first so you don’t waste your time I know that babies can be born with withdrawals (NAS) at any dosage of suboxone or subutex depending on various factors. I have done so much research on what the factors are and all of that. I’m not looking for that kind of information. My question is very specific. It is, what is the LOWEST mg that you have heard of a woman taking while pregnant where the baby WAS born with NAS or whithdrawals (suboxone or subutex). I have found a lot of information reguarding 2 mg dosages, and it appears that there are some babies that are born with NAS on that mg and some are not. Has anyone personally heard of a mother taking 1 mg and the baby was born with NAS? What about even lower? Has anyone heard of a baby being born with NAS when the mother was only taking .75 mg or .50 mg? Thank you so much in advance! I’m just trying to gain as much knowledge on this as possible! Once again, I know it is possible for babies to withdrawal on any dosage and there is not a whole lot of scientific research out there yet, as it is still fairly new with pregnant women. This is why I want to know if any of you guys have first-hand knowledge of it happening at these lower dosages.

10years39days is offline Member

I'm sure there are several factors that apply, like how long you've been on the dose during pregnancy and what mg of dose.

Also, I can't resist saying this...just because one baby didn't show withdrawals on 1mg it doesn't mean that another will experience the same luck.

Other than that I can't help. I have no firsthand knowledge on this subject. I would suggest speaking with your physician if you're currently faced with this issue.

I sincerely wish you the best. Suboxone tapering isn't a comfortable process. Buy its 100% possible.
    Beefaroni7272 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bellestime2stop View Post
    Hello! I want to tell you what I’m not looking for first so you don’t waste your time I know that babies can be born with withdrawals (NAS) at any dosage of suboxone or subutex depending on various factors. I have done so much research on what the factors are and all of that. I’m not looking for that kind of information. My question is very specific. It is, what is the LOWEST mg that you have heard of a woman taking while pregnant where the baby WAS born with NAS or whithdrawals (suboxone or subutex). I have found a lot of information reguarding 2 mg dosages, and it appears that there are some babies that are born with NAS on that mg and some are not. Has anyone personally heard of a mother taking 1 mg and the baby was born with NAS? What about even lower? Has anyone heard of a baby being born with NAS when the mother was only taking .75 mg or .50 mg? Thank you so much in advance! I’m just trying to gain as much knowledge on this as possible! Once again, I know it is possible for babies to withdrawal on any dosage and there is not a whole lot of scientific research out there yet, as it is still fairly new with pregnant women. This is why I want to know if any of you guys have first-hand knowledge of it happening at these lower dosages.

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your question. It's not one we ever hear much about here so it's good that you asked for all concerned mothers who may be taking Suboxone/Subutex currently or in the future while pregnant.

This may seem odd coming from a man, but I've worked with lots of pregnant women I've met in NA and AA meetings that have wanted off subs while pregnant. The direct answer to your question based on the women I personally know is .25mg of Subutex is the LOWEST dose they were on where NAS was established on the baby. I do my best to keep track of all the people I've helped so I know my facts are correct.

But here's the problem. As soon as the doctors, nurses, etc know the mother has been taking an opiate (buprenorphine) a red flag goes up. Some of these nurses and doctors become so consumed with the care and concern of the baby that even when the baby is displaying NORMAL crying and body movements they label it as NAS. It happens over and over. They are so quick to judge. One single mother I know that was completely off the subs a MONTH before the baby was born had her child labeled with NAS because they knew she had been taking Subutex prior to the Childs birth. Another was completely off the sub for about 2 months and the same thing happened because the baby was moving around and crying too much the doctors said. Absolutely ridiculous.

Hope this answers your question to your satisfaction. Question for you. Where are you at in your sub journey? If pregnant, how far along? Are you wanting off the sub before the baby is born? Are you inquiring for someone else? If you would like help just let us know. That's what we're here for.

Randy

Beefaroni7272 is offline Advanced Member

I'd have to agree with 10 it's an uncomfortable process to taper off subs but doable and sooooo worth it in the long run. The suboxone taper plan this site uses has produced thousands of success stories. And I know that one of our members Randy has helped several pregnant women through the process. Hang in there I'm sure he will stop by later.

Congratulations!!
    And welcome to the forum!
    Beef

Never mind I see he posted above me. Lol
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-10-2018 at 04:02 PM.

10years39days is offline Member

Piggy-backing on Randy's comment, I could see how consulting with your doctor could plant a seed that may lead to negative outcomes and perceptions. Use your best discretion, as I'm sure you will.

Randy has been around the block. I wouldn't be 21 days clean without his support and others on here (like Beef, Lvg, Force, etc...).

I would strongly encourage reading Randy and Beefs threads if you're looking to taper. So much inspiration...