Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopeless60
Makes me know I will see light
    Hopeless60 is offline Junior Member

Default Makes me know I will see light

I have been on opana 40ex and 30ex am and pm 10 instant for break thur I want to stop... been so scare I was short a pill last month and got so sick 12 hours into not having it. I take care of my grandsons (9 and 4) I really want to quit I have 1 month scripe.
    Any help on how to quit the best way and easiest on my body and family please help. All ur stories have given me the courage and strength me make me want off asap... just can't handle that bad withdrawal with my grandsons. ...
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Hopeless
    Well, short-acting opioids can be kicked in 5 days. Reach out to Catrina, she's the pill expert. She says it's flu-like symptoms for about a week but on day 5 there's a break through. Put the kids in daycare that week. You have to save your own life since no one can do that for us. You won't be useful to anyone if you stay on the opana path, and you know that.
    The detox can be accomplished. Make a plan and don't sabotage yourself by overwhelming yourself.
    Proud of you for reaching out and realizing you need to change your life. You're right.
    Read Catrina's posts and send her any concerns. We're all here to help you throughout your detox. You can do this! I'm 66 and did it! You can too! Post anytime u need to!

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

Ming is right, a quick cold turkey withdrawal is the fastest way to get off opioid drugs and for some people the only way, as some people find tapering too difficult. But if you have severe pain issues, beware of backlash from a sudden withdrawal. If you need to fully function (such as caring for grandchildren) and cannot take a week off, you may need to taper, if you have the self discipline to do so. I'm a chronic pain patient and I have found that for chronic pain patients we need to be careful to manage pain during withdrawal and to avoid a backlash recurrence of the pain for which we are being treated. A cold turkey withdrawal may have pain associated with it, but within reason. Use your judgment. I tapered down to about 1/3 of my daily dose then jumped from there. For chronic pain problems the idea is to get off the drug while at the same time putting in place ways to manage your pain. For me I changed my rest schedule, got massages for back pain and so forth. This will increase your chance of success and you will likely end up happier off the drugs than you were on them, but it may take several weeks or months before your system adjusts.

krash1 is offline New Member

Hi Hopeless
    The extended release opiate takes a lot longer to withdrawal from. Personally I was on 200-400 mgs of MScontin/day and 40mgs of hydrocodone/day. The first two days sucked, really wanted to use then withdrawals were 't so bad til 5th or 6th day that's when it really kicked in. I was horribly sick and couldn't move til day 20-something. Not that it got much better I had issues with diarrhea til week 6. It wasn't as bad as first 3 weeks but had pro blems with it til week 6.
    I have been clean for 16 weeks and I am still so drained of energy that even the most basic tasks are hard, almost impossible to do. Now I was taking a lot more meds than you, my point is that extended release pain meds take a lot longer to kick because they stay in your system a lot longer. Kinda like Methadone is so much harder to kick then just about anything else. Methadone is pure evil!!! Had to get back on MScontin for a year after being on methadone just so I had a chance to quit.
    One last thing I would mention I am a 45yo male and since you said you are a grandmother I assume youre at least my age. The problem I had was that my heart rate was 120 bpm at rest for 2 months at least after detoxing and I thought a heart attack was a real possibility. Im not trying to scare you away from the prize I just want you to be healthy and alive to enjoy it. You might check with your primary doctor or pain mgt doc before you try this. Like I said I was taking alot more meds and was on them for almost 20 yrs so my case might be extreme.
    Good luck to you

Ty ty could u tell me how to find her and how do I friend people .. I'm so glad I found this place... oh I do it from my phone if that makes a difference ty agian

Ty that helps me alot!! I will try to taper off I do have a few pills left could u tell me what and how much to go down to ty agian

Wow u were on more than me and congratulations on 16 weeks clean... it's the pain I'm gonna be into scares me but the withdrawal process has me in tears and I can't take time off from watching my grandsons I'm 53... ur info helped me alot bless you

Thisweekforsure is offline Advanced Member

I've no personal experience with Opana but the conversion charts tell me it's twice as powerful as oxycodone which means 10 mg Opana is equivalent to 20 mg of oxycodone. I was on only 60 mg oxycodone extended release per day and you are taking 70 mg per day extended release plus more for breakthrough, so don't know your total daily dose, but 70 mg would be equivalent to 140 oxycodone per day. That is if I read you right? 40 in am and 30 in pm? Or are you taking 40 plus 30 both am and pm? Now, I can tell you that from my 60 mg per day if I wanted to function perfectly well the whole time I would have to taper by 5 mg every few days which means it could take me six or more weeks to taper off! And your dose is over twice what mine was. So I would think if you only have one month script you don't have enough to taper slowly enough to remain completely functional, if you are like me.

So I suggest three possible options. First, talk to your doctor and continue getting prescriptions to be able to taper very, very slowly. Read the threads here with people tapering from suboxone and benzos and you will get an idea of the process. The idea is to reduce, get stable, then reduce again, get stable again, rinse, repeat.

Option 2 would be a fast taper using only what you have. Reduce by large amounts. You will feel withdrawals but they won't be as severe as if you stop cold turkey all at once. But they might be bad enough to affect your functioning.

Option 3 is go ahead and quit cold turkey and make arrangements with your family to have "the flu" for a week. This would be the way to get to your goal the fastest. For addicts it is the best way in my opinion but for pain patients as I said before you risk rebound pain, but for you it might be worth the risk. It really is the most straightforward way to put this behind you and causes the LEAST total misery. The taper methods cause more total misery over time, but less intense so if you absolutely must function you can do so more easily. But a lot of people say they "must" function, they have no choice, but actually you might have a choice. Do you watch the children while the parents work and can you ask them to take sick days or vacation days to give you a week off? You sound like a very caring person because in your first post you said you want to do what's easiest on your body AND FOR YOUR FAMILY. But what is best for you might inconvenience your family a bit and you might be putting their needs before your own. What would happen if you really got a bad case of flu and were bedridden for a week? Somebody would care for the kids, right? You getting off this drug might be so important to you that maybe you should look at it like getting the flu just let everybody else cope and deal with it. It would be a pain for them now but might even be better for them in the long run if you are happier off the drug sooner.

I don't know the right answer for you, only you know all the factors and issues and can make the best judgment for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisweekforsure View Post
    I've no personal experience with Opana but the conversion charts tell me it's twice as powerful as oxycodone which means 10 mg Opana is equivalent to 20 mg of oxycodone. I was on only 60 mg oxycodone extended release per day and you are taking 70 mg per day extended release plus more for breakthrough, so don't know your total daily dose, but 70 mg would be equivalent to 140 oxycodone per day. That is if I read you right? 40 in am and 30 in pm? Or are you taking 40 plus 30 both am and pm? Now, I can tell you that from my 60 mg per day if I wanted to function perfectly well the whole time I would have to taper by 5 mg every few days which means it could take me six or more weeks to taper off! And your dose is over twice what mine was. So I would think if you only have one month script you don't have enough to taper slowly enough to remain completely functional, if you are like me.

So I suggest three possible options. First, talk to your doctor and continue getting prescriptions to be able to taper very, very slowly. Read the threads here with people tapering from suboxone and benzos and you will get an idea of the process. The idea is to reduce, get stable, then reduce again, get stable again, rinse, repeat.

Option 2 would be a fast taper using only what you have. Reduce by large amounts. You will feel withdrawals but they won't be as severe as if you stop cold turkey all at once. But they might be bad enough to affect your functioning.

Option 3 is go ahead and quit cold turkey and make arrangements with your family to have "the flu" for a week. This would be the way to get to your goal the fastest. For addicts it is the best way in my opinion but for pain patients as I said before you risk rebound pain, but for you it might be worth the risk. It really is the most straightforward way to put this behind you and causes the LEAST total misery. The taper methods cause more total misery over time, but less intense so if you absolutely must function you can do so more easily. But a lot of people say they "must" function, they have no choice, but actually you might have a choice. Do you watch the children while the parents work and can you ask them to take sick days or vacation days to give you a week off? You sound like a very caring person because in your first post you said you want to do what's easiest on your body AND FOR YOUR FAMILY. But what is best for you might inconvenience your family a bit and you might be putting their needs before your own. What would happen if you really got a bad case of flu and were bedridden for a week? Somebody would care for the kids, right? You getting off this drug might be so important to you that maybe you should look at it like getting the flu just let everybody else cope and deal with it. It would be a pain for them now but might even be better for them in the long run if you are happier off the drug sooner.

I don't know the right answer for you, only you know all the factors and issues and can make the best judgment for your situation.
    I take 40 in am and 20 at pm and 10 instant if needed my pain is very bad can hardly walk wit out meds... my Dr dropped me cause I had another drug in my system that she had oked but did not care.. and no I can't take off from my grandsons as there is no one else I have watched them when I been very very sick wit the real few it's gard cause I'm on the go from 4am till 9am with them dressing feeding and getting g them to school then picking up if I have to at 530 pm I also have them all day on Mondays I liked how u told me the 3 ways to do this... it's just so scary I just want to jump off a bridge thinking of the withdrawal and then having the pain ... ty for taking time to write to me reading from people in here helps so so much as you all know how it is and my family (daughter ) just does not get it...

krash1 is offline New Member

Hopeless
    You might want to try methadone. I know that I previously said how bad methadone is but chronic pain with no relief is worse. I was in the exact same spot as you. I was released from pain management because of a drug test. I really had no option of quitting at that time. My pain was just not tolerable so I went on methadone while I tried to get into new pain mgmt doc. That took about 2 yrs because doctors don't want to take you on when you have been released by another doctor. But now that pain has gotten better I was able to get off the meds. You might look into Subutex and Suboxone. I can't say if they help with pain since I've never taken either but alot of people on here have.
    Good luck