• 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By kvn1175
  • 1 Post By Lvg nghtmare
  • 1 Post By dsh12345
  • 2 Post By Randy35
Methadone Detox
    kvn1175 is offline New Member

Default Methadone Detox

Ive been tapering my methadone, supervised, from 115mg a day to, currently 16mg a day. At first I did 5 a week, but when I got to 50 I hit that wall and stopped the taper. Couple weeks later I started tapering at 2mgs every 3 days, with a stop here and there. My question is the nurse at the clinic said they consider 16mg to be a success. I took her as saying I could quit cold turkey, is that possible? Without withdrawal I mean? Ive been doing dope for a long time, and Im anxious to just get out of all of it already. I once stopped suboxene cold turking and it was the worst hell imaginable, and ended up back on oxi 80s, and ended up moving from Wv to Indiana just for the methadone clinic. But now Im just sick of it. I go daily and Im just tired of the drama in line, and hearing everyones stories of how thwy got so messed up lastnight, or how talking about the xanax, or people getting friendly with everyone like its a social club. How long does withdrawal from a low dose last? Just as bad as a high dose cold turkey? I was gonna do it at 25mg, but I missed a day, and it was bad. Just one day. I know me wanting to rush it is a bad thing. It just weighs on you, ya know. Not to mention the weight gain, laying around with no ambition, and mysteriously Ive had to have 6 root canals in the last year. But they tell me at the clinic that methadone messing with your teeth or bones is a myth. I dont know. Im just ready. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kvn1175 View Post
    Ive been tapering my methadone, supervised, from 115mg a day to, currently 16mg a day. At first I did 5 a week, but when I got to 50 I hit that wall and stopped the taper. Couple weeks later I started tapering at 2mgs every 3 days, with a stop here and there. My question is the nurse at the clinic said they consider 16mg to be a success. I took her as saying I could quit cold turkey, is that possible? Without withdrawal I mean? Ive been doing dope for a long time, and Im anxious to just get out of all of it already. I once stopped suboxene cold turking and it was the worst hell imaginable, and ended up back on oxi 80s, and ended up moving from Wv to Indiana just for the methadone clinic. But now Im just sick of it. I go daily and Im just tired of the drama in line, and hearing everyones stories of how thwy got so messed up lastnight, or how talking about the xanax, or people getting friendly with everyone like its a social club. How long does withdrawal from a low dose last? Just as bad as a high dose cold turkey? I was gonna do it at 25mg, but I missed a day, and it was bad. Just one day. I know me wanting to rush it is a bad thing. It just weighs on you, ya know. Not to mention the weight gain, laying around with no ambition, and mysteriously Ive had to have 6 root canals in the last year. But they tell me at the clinic that methadone messing with your teeth or bones is a myth. I dont know. Im just ready. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    If you were to jump from 16mg of methadone you would be in a world of hurt for quite some time! Tapering methadone is a very, very slow process and you would need to taper all the way down to basically zero! From 16mg you would probably taper at a rate of 2mg every couple of weeks or so, maybe even slower than that? One thing to consider is making the switch to suboxone which would be much easier and quicker to taper from? There are some members here that have successfully made the switch from methadone to suboxone using Robert's sub therapy/taper plan, I'll leave you the links to a couple of threads so you can read through them?

Randy's thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/need-tal...ump-65786.html

Bette's thread - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...too-66497.html

Update when you can? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

PS
    I have heard that methadone does/can ruin teeth but I'm not sure how true it is?

Lvg nghtmare is offline Platinum Member

Hello kvn welcome to the forum. Ricky has offered some great advice. I was using over 150mg of methadone a day along with 15+ 8mg of hydromorphone a day. As I'm not a doctor but feel pretty knowledgeable on methadone,it does not get into​your bones,it's stored in your fat cells. But as our Addiction and tolerance progress,years of abusing drugs our bodies break down eventually leads to death. With that said I have no self control so tapering down with subs was not an option for Me.i quit CT it was pure hell for 3weeks,I won't lie awful,but now I'm almost 6 months clean of all opiates and appreciate my Life. We are here for you in whatever path you choose. Best of luck...

I hate, hate, hate suboxen. It is an even bigger scam, and worse withdrawal than methadone. Already been through that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Hello kvn welcome to the forum. Ricky has offered some great advice. I was using over 150mg of methadone a day along with 15+ 8mg of hydromorphone a day. As I'm not a doctor but feel pretty knowledgeable on methadone,it does not get into​your bones,it's stored in your fat cells. But as our Addiction and tolerance progress,years of abusing drugs our bodies break down eventually leads to death. With that said I have no self control so tapering down with subs was not an option for Me.i quit CT it was pure hell for 3weeks,I won't lie awful,but now I'm almost 6 months clean of all opiates and appreciate my Life. We are here for you in whatever path you choose. Best of luck...
    Thanks. Looking back, would you say the 3 weeks were worth it? You sound kinda like me. I rarely have the control. Thats really why I dont have takehomes. I would have it all gone in a day. I quit the clinic once and tried Kratom to ease the withdrawal, but once I stopped the Kratom it hit me bad.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Sub is not a worse wd than methadone
    If you taper it properly.
    I don't agree that it is a scam.

It is a very useful tool.

If not for sub I would not be 3 years next month off methadone
    And 2+ years off of sub...

It is possible to do it alone ..
    I could not do it God knows I tried !
    But there are others that have..

It is definitely worth every bit of discomfort to be free!
    Bette
    kvn1175 likes this.

Kvn, Was 3weeks of horrific, traumatic wds worth it!!! Yes Yes and yes!! Did I mention yes. The single most important decision I have ever made. I suggest reading some posts,some worse than mine. It's definitely a fight for your Life,are you worth it! Getting clean, without any doubt now was the easy part, staying clean is a Life long journey for me. One day at a time.. I know if I take that one pill death is inevitable.. You have to want it more than anything..
    kvn1175 and Iluv2smile like this.

dsh12345 is offline Senior Member

I have zero experience with methadone. It seems to be an entirely different animal with an entirely different set of rules in terms of time frames and such. Even the doses are hard to get a sense of.... there's not even a good conversion for methadone dosing to like oxycodone/morphine dosing as it is highly variable, partly due to highly variable length of time (half life) each dose lasts in your system.

However, my two cents is that it seems like methadone WD's are long and very drawn out process, kind of like suboxone withdrawal can be if it's done wrong. What dose did you stop suboxone on? It's extremely easy to think you can jump off of like 2mg suboxone cuz it's just a fraction of a strip... but that is a HUGE dose to jump from, and can be very long drawn out WD process. It's easy to think without doing a lot of research on subs that "Well.... 1 is the smallest number.. so 2 is just the next smallest aboev that, so 2 has to be a small dose and easy to jump... WRONG."

It seems a lot of the veterans here with long clean times came from a methadone to suboxone to clean route, and you also got someone here in lvgnightmare that went to methadone to clean route CT without suboxone, so there are plenty of success stories here.

You seem to hate the whole ritual of going to clinic.... do you guys (the vets) think him finding a whole new sub doctor and then making the tough switch from methadone to suboxone is gonna be something he wants to do? It seems like methadone to suboxone transition is also very tricky.... need 3 days CT, and even then the methadone can still make you feel bad as it continues to slowly wash out of your system over the next couple weeks after starting subs. Then, there's the sub doc who might want him to go from a decently small(?) dose of 16mg methadone to something like 8mg or 16mg sub, and he's gonna have to know to refuse that dose, or else he's gonna have to start from the top of the ladder all over again and taper down if he does get on 8mg or 16mg maintenance like the doc will want him to do. Plus there's the whole mental block of already being scarred from a previous suboxone experience... probably jumping from too high a dose I would guess if it went horribly wrong.

For the ones on here that have done methadone to suboxone to clean.... I want to ask would it still be worth it to find a new sub doc, start a new drug, and start a new taper to get off of just 16mg methadone, or just continue on with the methadone taper that's already seeming to work?

Just from what I am seeing from my end, and again with my limited experience, you are on a taper plan... it's been working... you've gone from 100mg+ to 16mg, and now you just need some encouragement to continue with that working plan, as you've come across a moment of impatience and frustration with the whole thing, but you cannot deny it's been working right? because YES you have dropped your dose a HUGE amount according to plan. The nurse said something to you to make you think you can just stop this whole process already and make that jump to off, so you have a question about whether 16mg is OK to jump from....

So, you seem to have your answer to your question.... most ppl with methadone experience seem to be saying to you that 16mg jump is still too high... so perhaps consider sticking to your taper, or talking to nurse about wanting to taper all the way down to 5mg and below doses? Definitely seems like a good plan to continue tapering to lower than 16mg.... the methadone WD horror stories do sound pretty bad... and remember... the taper plan HAS BEEN WORKING. 100+ to 16. Easy math.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-18-2017 at 06:51 PM.
    Lvg nghtmare and kvn1175 like this.

You can also google methadone CT stories. Like "methadone 15mg cold turkey", or "stop methadone 10mg", or "methadone withdrawal 15mg" or "methadone taper to 15mg", or something like that. You might have to change the words around, or remove the dosage number or change the dosage number around to something even and similar to your current 16mg dose in the search terms to find other ppl's threads (from this site and other sites) that have gone through and documented their jump experience day by day in order to build your knowledge of what doses ppl have successful jumps from and what doses are too high to jump from.
    kvn1175 likes this.

Kvn, methadone has along half life,when I stopped ct, I had absolutely no wds day 1 fine,day 2,3,4,5 fine I thought I was good to go, nope chit hit the fan full blown wd's. There is No Quick Fix, we all got here by abusing are doc. If you can't handle CT from methadone,slow taper could be a good option for you. Again you have to want this for yourself..
    kvn1175 likes this.

Dsh both subs, methadone I feel should be used as a last resort,when all other methods do not have positive results. Going CT from methadone you will Not die you may feel like it but you won't. Both subs, methadone take that craving away,making it easier to have success, unlike short acting opiates.Which ever route one chooses,will not be easy, it's usually the fear of wds one battle's with. We all have to go through it one way or the other. Addiction is a beast...

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

I hate, hate, hate suboxen. It is an even bigger scam, and worse withdrawal than methadone. Already been through that one.
    You must of had a really bad experience with suboxone?
    If suboxone is used correctly and tapered correctly it is an amazing tool to get clean! Suboxone is so much easier and quicker to taper down from than methadone. If you jump from a high amount of sub you will suffer immensely, if you jump from a high amount of methadone you will suffer immensely! I'm pretty certain that most people would say that methadone is much worse than subs, they don't call methadone "Liquid Handcuffs" for nothing!
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Keyword used correctly amazing tool to get clean.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvg nghtmare View Post
    Kvn, Was 3weeks of horrific, traumatic wds worth it!!! Yes Yes and yes!! Did I mention yes. The single most important decision I have ever made. I suggest reading some posts,some worse than mine. It's definitely a fight for your Life,are you worth it! Getting clean, without any doubt now was the easy part, staying clean is a Life long journey for me. One day at a time.. I know if I take that one pill death is inevitable.. You have to want it more than anything..
    Exactly. My biggest worry is that I wont know me without the dope. Ive been on one form of opiate or another for like 13 years. I was clean once, but was so bored and missed that exictement of finding dope. I have gotten high to do everything. Mow, work, fix things around the house, going out, everything. Im just worrying maybe. Its getting towards the end, and I think ive got alot of anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky71 View Post
    You must of had a really bad experience with suboxone?
    If suboxone is used correctly and tapered correctly it is an amazing tool to get clean! Suboxone is so much easier and quicker to taper down from than methadone. If you jump from a high amount of sub you will suffer immensely, if you jump from a high amount of methadone you will suffer immensely! I'm pretty certain that most people would say that methadone is much worse than subs, they don't call methadone "Liquid Handcuffs" for nothing!
    I dont know. All I know is it was the worst. I was taking 1 N8 a day for around 3 months. I was getting them for free from someone, and thought I could do my own program. Yeah right. Anyway I ended up not being with that person anymore and went cold turkey. It was the worst experience Ive ever had. Ive been through small wd on methadone. Just from missing a couple doses, but not full fledged, so maybe I mispoke. I just swore off suboxen and subutex. I just dont want to start something new, I guess. And your right. Starting Methadone was like going from having a gorilla on my back to having an elephant on my back. I dont understand why they dont make a mandatory 6 month detox. They let people stay on for years. Business I guess. Dr.s started this pill epidemic, only natural they would want to keep it going.
    Iluv2smile likes this.

Kvn, Everything,you are emotionally feeling is normal. We have been so numb for so long. It's definitely an emotional rollercoaster. When your mind Finally clears it's just so much better. Of course all life's problems you have numbed with opiates are still there, that's when the healing begins. A new clean you. Proud of You....
    kvn1175 likes this.

Exactly. My biggest worry is that I wont know me without the dope. Ive been on one form of opiate or another for like 13 years. I was clean once, but was so bored and missed that exictement of finding dope. I have gotten high to do everything. Mow, work, fix things around the house, going out, everything. Im just worrying maybe. Its getting towards the end, and I think ive got alot of anxiety.
    We all felt that way in the opiate prison. Use before guests came over, use before going to guest's house, use before sleep, use right when waking up, hell even use right before the shower because I didn't like being really cold when I stepped out of a hot shower, use before plane rides in the bathroom, always pee in toilet instead of urinal in public bathrooms so I can steal a quick private moment to use when I am in public, etc etc.

I am on a sub taper myself, down to 0.25mg a day, from a 200-300mg oxy habit about a month ago. The best thing without question..... is having the subs in my body to keep the CRAVINGS and the physical WD symptoms away, while also NOT providing that euphoria, so that gave me precious time to have been able to train my brain to live life without that crutch of using before doing anything anymore.

Methadone is similar to suboxone in that it is long acting so it doesn't hit you in a big sudden moment and make you very high like sniffing an oxycodone pill or a bag would, but the downside to methadone is that it is still a full opiate so you are still getting a small amount of euphoria effect. Using methadone as a therapy is the same concept as how addicts always prefer short acting opiates to long acting formulations with time release coatings.... except methadone is like super super super extra long time release coating in order to help satisfy cravings/physical symptoms while also trying to make you as least high/euphoric as possible due to its long acting slow/steady nature.

It's good that you are maintaining on 16mg methadone and seem to be doing OK. That is helping to break the cycle of using before doing anything in your life, becauase you are just dosing methadone once a day right?

And one final thing, yes you jumped from way too high suboxone. You jumped from 8mg a day. Most ppl that have good jumps from subs end up jumping from 0.5mg or below, I'll be jumping from 0.125mg next week, so basically a dose 80x less than what you jumped from. Jumping from an 8mg daily suboxone habit is basically the equivalent of jumping from a 250mg daily oxycodone habit, with the added punishment of a more long drawn out WD process with the subs. That is why your sub experience went horrible.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 04-19-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Kvn,your biggest worry should be focused on getting clean first.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hello Kvn -

I completely agree with Bette about the Suboxone. If used correctly it's one of the very best tools that you can use to get clean. It works perfectly when used as it's intended to be used. With that said suboxone is not for everyone. And it's not the best option in certain circumstances. Overall Suboxone can help get you clean.

With your methadone dose down to 16mg per day you can either use the Suboxone or try to taper all the way down to bascically zero. You've had success with tapering the mdone already and I might be in favor of continuing with that method. But you MUST take it slow, much slower than you have been. The goal is to get off the mdone with the least amount of symptoms. Right? To do that the taper must be slow and steady. When you're on higher amounts of mdone you can be a little aggressive with the taper process, but as the dose gets lower you need to slow down considerably. Reducing your current dose by 1mg every 5-7 days is what I'm talking about. Sure it will take a while to get off, but you can expect to have very few, if any symptoms doing it that way. That's the best way to do it.

Now if the clinic insists that you can jump CT from that 16mg and cuts you off they are completely wrong. Would love to see them do that. As Ricky said you would be in a world of hurt jumping at that dose for quite some time. Then without one shred of doubt I would go right to the Suboxone. And it is easier to taper the subs than it is the mdone.

The induction from mdone to Suboxone is tricky. The amount of time you must wait in wd's is considerable because of the long half life of the mdone. Most have to wait at least 24-36 hours or longer. I was on mdone for years with my doses well over 200mgs per day. Took me nearly 90 hours before I could safely induct on the subs. Because you've tapered your dose down I suspect it won't take you nealr that long. We recommend using the Cows to know when it's safe for a sub induction. Takes the guessing out of knowing when the time is right to take any subs.

I have more info that could help you and also would be more than willing to help you on and off the subs if you do decide that's right for you. Think it over carefully, make a plan and stick with it. The thing is you can do this. You really, really can. I spent about 18 years addicted to every drug on earth. I'll have 3 years clean in a couple months. It's definitely possible for you too!

Keep updating. You're receiving many wonderful responses. You're in the right place. Take care and all the best to you!

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare and Iluv2smile like this.

yupster123 is offline New Member

Hey guys, just made an account on here to give some friendly advice. If you have never heard of ibogaine before I strongly suggest checking it out. It has the ability to eliminated all withdrawal in a matter of hours to nearly any drug, especially opiates. It is legal in Canada. If you have friends there I would suggest having them purchase some online, and then either visiting them to acquire it or some other method. I am not sure how it would be obtainable legally in the states but I truly hope you are able to find some. Note about dosing - start off low, such as a gram, and increase the dosage as to prevent taking too much. A full dose is typically around 16 grams but everyone is different and it depends on your mental health and physical health so it's safer to start very small and increas incrementally. It's always better to buy the rootbark rather than ground up powder, unless the powder is an extract. Do some research, it's worth it.