Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 1 Post By Randy35
  • 2 Post By Iluv2smile
  • 1 Post By Randy35
Methadone- How much can I taper?
    Tattynutnut is offline New Member

Default Methadone- How much can I taper?

So I'm on 120 mgs of methadone, been in the clinic for about a year now. I'm thinking of detoxing in October. I wanted to know how much can I taper down a week? I want to taper down to 80 and stop at 80mg as soon as possible. Is it possible to go down 20mg or 15mg a week?
    Inb4: I have A LOT of comfort meds. I have over 800 gabapentin stocked up(I've taken gaba before and it did wonders for my opiate withdrawal), a lot of xanax, and 2 8mg suboxones just in case I really need.

That's why I want to taper down as much as possible. I'm worried that I might end up taking my comfort meds while I'm tapering and gain a tolerance before I even stop all together. Do you guys think 80mg is a good dose to stop (remember I have a lot of comfort meds that will help)

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Hi there. Welcome.

I wouldn't even consider going cold turkey from 80 mg of Methadone. Methadone is a strong drug with a very long half-life. Quitting at 80 mg (a huge dose) will be nothing short of misery. The comfort meds you have probably won't even touch the withdrawal symptoms.

I'm gonna ask Bette to chime in here. She switched from Methadone to Suboxone and has been clean for almost 2 years.

Kat
    Randy35 likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tattynutnut View Post
    So I'm on 120 mgs of methadone, been in the clinic for about a year now. I'm thinking of detoxing in October. I wanted to know how much can I taper down a week? I want to taper down to 80 and stop at 80mg as soon as possible. Is it possible to go down 20mg or 15mg a week?
    Inb4: I have A LOT of comfort meds. I have over 800 gabapentin stocked up(I've taken gaba before and it did wonders for my opiate withdrawal), a lot of xanax, and 2 8mg suboxones just in case I really need.

That's why I want to taper down as much as possible. I'm worried that I might end up taking my comfort meds while I'm tapering and gain a tolerance before I even stop all together. Do you guys think 80mg is a good dose to stop (remember I have a lot of comfort meds that will help)

Welcome to the forum!

I wanted to jump in here and give you a head's up - PLEASE DO NOT JUMP FROM 80mg OF METHADONE. You wll be in a world of hurt my friend. The wd symptoms can be so severe they will drive you nearly insane. Been there done that myself. I was on over 200mgs of mdone because I kept abusing it and my tolerance increased. I was also on it for years and years. They call it "liquid handcuffs" for a very good reason. Tried to jump many times from high doses like you're planning on doing and had to get back on a higher dose every single time. The wd symptoms were unbearable.

The very best way to get off Methadone is to taper very, very slowly with a steady and controlled taper. And taper down as low as you can possibly get. That means getting down well under 1mg per day to have as painless a jump as possible. And you should ideally taper at the rate of reducing your dose by less than 1 - 3mg every week or so. As I said, very, very slow.

Tapering down low is not easy, but doable and many have accomplished it. Some people like me and many others here have tapered their Methadone down to at least 30mgs (or lower) and then switched over to Suboxone. Remain on the subs a short time then begin a taper from them. Easier to taper the subs than the mdone as most will agree. I was able to taper the mdone down to around 10mgs then made the switch to subs. Bette, as Kat mentioned, also was on mdone for around 10 years. She made the switch to subs at around 150mgs I believe.

So make a good plan and stick to it. If you're adamant about jumping from 80mgs of mdone I wish you the best. I really hope you make it. If not than try tapering as low as possible or switch to subs then get off that. Help and support is here for you no matter the decision you make. Take care and keep posting.

Randy
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

I wanted to say a few things about the comfort meds you have...

The gabba can be of great help, just use common sense with them. The xanax can be a real problem if extreme caution is not taken. They are HIGHLY addictive and can be a bear to detox from. You mentioned having a LOT of them and that scares me I have to admit. Just be very careful with them. You coukdn't pay me any amount of money to ever take another benzo again. Almost died on them twice. Again, be careful. The Suboxone can also me a real problem if you take any with mdone in your system.

You have to be in moderate/severe wd's before you can take the subs. If you jump from mdone and take the sub too soon you could go into PWD (precipitated withdrawal) which means you'll be so sick you'll be thinking you're dying. Been there done that also….twice!!! When someone has been using mdone and stops taking it, it can take up to 3 - 4 days of wd's before you can SAFELY take any sub. More on that later if you have questions.

Randy
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Hi there .
    You came to the best place to get support.
    Both Randy and I had been on methadone for years..
    Switched to sub .
    Tapered now clean..

If you can switch to sub ..
    IMO that is much easier than tapering methadone.

Like Randy said you have to be in withdrawal
    26 on the COWS scale..

If that is something you are considering ..
    We can help you with the switch ..

Most Drs don't have a clue..

I don't want to bombard you with a bunch
    Of info..
    Right now
    Until you decide which way you want to go!

I just want you to know!
    It is possible to get off methadone!
    Life is so much better!

Let us know what you decide ..
    We will be here!
    Bette
    Iwantoff2013 and Randy35 like this.

Hey thanks for the info! I actually am very aware of everything you said lol. I've been lurking forums since I was a junkie. I plan on taking xanax only for the night time on a low enough dose, and taper of xanax too or try my best not to use it too much. I'm honestly not going to touch the suboxone if I don't need it. But yeah I'm definitely gonna give it a good week and see how I feel before taking the sub's
    Thank you my name is Brigitte btw

I don't really have the money to switch to sub's. I got 2 from a friend I have and I know about precipitated withdrawal. I'm just so over it you know? I want to get over this asap. I'm lucky that I snapped out of the junkie state of mind as soon as I did. I'm only 22 and been a junkie for 3 years, clean for one year (if you consider methadone maintenance clean). I don't want to waste my money on methadone anymore, I've gained 40 lbs since on methadone! Trust me, I'm never going back. I am for the first time excited about detox. I'm so motivated! I have faith in gabapentin. The first time I did gaba for opiate withdrawal it was great because I felt no symptoms! I was surprised. But of course I relapsed and when I tried gaba again to withdrawal, I had a tolerance for it and didn't work as good. I havent done gabapentin in a year so my tolerance for it should be gone and it'll be just like the first time.

Iluv2smile is offline Platinum Member

Yes methadone
    Not a clean state of mind
    No matter where you get it!
    I have lost 65lbs since I have been off it..

What dose are you planning on jumping from?

You are young and that is really going to help you..
    Get off this crappppp now and regain your life..
    It took me 10 years..

That is a lot of money..

But you can get lots of support here!
    Lots of success!
    Take care
    Bette

You can go down 10-15 mg a week while you are over 60mg
    I did not really feel it until I was at 30mg
    But I started taking extra just because I could .
    So you could get down to 60mg by October .

Plus your age will help!
    Seriously
    You have not been addicted that long !
    That will help too!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-01-2016 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks!I'm on 120mg , so I'm totally gonna take the 15mg option. But I've thought about this, if coming down is too hard for me I might as well stop early and start the detox period. From what I've seen in forums, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference what your dose is, your gonna be feeling like >>>> anyway. Plus I have full faith in my comfort meds, plus if I do need more help I can go to the ER and ask for some clonidine. But I definitely want to start going down this month, somewhere between the middle of this month or the last week of this month.
    Being young is what helps me sleep at night and makes me feel like, you know what? You did waste a little chunk of your young adult years but you didn't waste half your life. I'm glad I'm out of this junkie state of mind. I am so over getting high.

Thanks!I'm on 120mg , so I'm totally gonna take the 15mg option. But I've thought about this, if coming down is too hard for me I might as well stop early and start the detox period. From what I've seen in forums, it doesn't seem to make much of a difference what your dose is, your gonna be feeling like >>>> anyway. Plus I have full faith in my comfort meds, plus if I do need more help I can go to the ER and ask for some clonidine. But I definitely want to start going down this month, somewhere between the middle of this month or the last week of this month.
    Being young is what helps me sleep at night and makes me feel like, you know what? You did waste a little chunk of your young adult years but you didn't waste half your life. I'm glad I'm out of this junkie state of mind. I am so over getting high.

Hi Brigitte,

Methadone as Bette mentioned can be a beast to get yourself off of. The long half life makes it so. When you completely stop taking it, whatever dose that is, the wd symptoms won't usually begin until the 3rd or 4th day because of that half life. Then around the 3rd to 5th day the symptoms begin to get severe. And that's when you really need to dig in and fight. I believe you when you say you've had enough of this. I got to that same point to. Methadone made me crazy. Caused me so much grief.

Tapering can be difficult for some, but it doesn't have to be if you take your time and go slow and steady with the taper. I agree with Bette that you can taper rather aggressively at the higher doses. But once you get down under 60mgs, maybe a little less, you'll need to slow things down and take your time. I found that out through personal experience. I messed around with attempts to jump at high doses severe ltimes and failed miserably. Tried to taper too quickly and failed again, many times. Tried to taper by too many mgs and that didn't work either. Only when I took my time and slowed a bit was I successful. That was my experience.

I had the same thoughts as you - taper down a bit then jump. I tried to jump at doses of 60mgs, 90mgs, even doses over 100mgs and just couldn't handle the wd symptoms. Not saying you can't Brigitte, but it will test all the strength you have. I finally reduced my mdone down to 10mgs and switched to subs. And it is easier to taper sub than it is methadone.

It's perfectly ok to not go the sub route. In fact I say to first try to taper off the methadone and forget the subs. But to have an honest chance of success you'll have to take this slower than you may want to go.

Randy

Its not that I can endure methadone detox its that I don't have to because i have full faith in my gabapentin × xanax cocktail. I forgot to add that I have .5 mg xanax and .25 xanax also have 10 5mg Valium's. My plan for the benzos (so that I don't get addicted) is to start with the .5s then go down to the .25s then taper off that with Valium's (since valium is a lot weaker than xanax).
    The first time I did gabapentin for opiate withdrawal, (it was H withdrawal more specifically) it worked so great for me. I didn't feel a thing! I should've quit right there and then but of course I wasn't serious about quitting and I relapsed. Tried gabas again shortly in that time period and the gabas stopped working its magic cos I got a tolerance to it pretty quick. Then I got on methadone and I haven't done my gabapentins in over a year, so my tolerance is completely gone. I don't regret not quiting earlier, I feel like I had to go thru all of this to get to the point where I say enough is enough. I'm even thinking about jumping off early and start detox this month but I know you guys won't advise that lol. I just really believe the gabas and xanax are gonna do the trick for me.

-Brigitte
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-02-2016 at 02:20 PM.

Its not that I can endure methadone detox its that I don't have to because i have full faith in my gabapentin × xanax cocktail. I forgot to add that I have .5 mg xanax and .25 xanax also have 10 5mg Valium's. My plan for the benzos (so that I don't get addicted) is to start with the .5s then go down to the .25s then taper off that with Valium's (since valium is a lot weaker than xanax).
    The first time I did gabapentin for opiate withdrawal, (it was H withdrawal more specifically) it worked so great for me. I didn't feel a thing! I should've quit right there and then but of course I wasn't serious about quitting and I relapsed. Tried gabas again shortly in that time period and the gabas stopped working its magic cos I got a tolerance to it pretty quick. Then I got on methadone and I haven't done my gabapentins in over a year, so my tolerance is completely gone. I don't regret not quiting earlier, I feel like I had to go thru all of this to get to the point where I say enough is enough. I'm even thinking about jumping off early and start detox this month but I know you guys won't advise that lol. I just really believe the gabas and xanax are gonna do the trick for me.

-Brigitte

I've never been a fan of using addictive drugs to get off addictive drugs. Just doesn't make good sense to me. The Xanax and Valium are highly addictive even if used sparingly and for short periods of time. And if you think a detox from opiates is bad a benzo detox is many times worse. Not trying to scare you, You can obviously do what you want, but I would use extreme caution using any benzo.

Randy
    LaurieLaSalle likes this.

Yeah I hear you. Im gonna be as careful as possible with the benzos. I've never really been a big fan of them. I am prescribed it but I haven't taken it in a year cos I wanted to go up on my methadone. If the gaba works great I might not even take the benzos

Just giving an update. I'm on day 13 and jumped off 120. I felt no pain whatsoever gabapentin is a junkies jail out of free card. Pair that with something else (for me xanax) im getting better everyday and