Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Randy35
Methadone withdrawal
    illkickit is offline New Member

Lightbulb Methadone withdrawal

Hi,

I was on H for about 2 years, not everyday though, then I stopped that and started methadone around 9 months ago,
    started from 30mg, I went down to 10mg within 7months and then back up to 25mg because I had a rough days in my life and went back on >>>>>> for about a week or two together with methadone now it's been 2months clean of H. Today I am down to 5mg a day, but I should mention that it's only a first day on 5mg, yesterday my dose was 7.5mg and I felt good, day before yesterday I had 7.5mg as soon as I woke up and 2mg before bed time, then one before that was 9.5mg-10mg a day, I were on 10mg for about a week and 1/2. All this time I was tapering down from 25mg I felt like it is going to be easy.. Today is alright but I think I will have a little disturbed sleep as always since I tapper down from 25mg I always wake up at 3-4AM to take my next dose, can't wait anymore to get my hands off of any >>>>... About 3 weeks ago when I was on 18mg, My recovery worker has got me a home detox plan but I can see that she's delaying that in order to make more money for themselves. Changing app. dates, etc.., my pharmacy is giving me 26mg of methadone daily, and I'm only on 5mg today. I told that to my recovery team and they all know that, but they don't care about lowering it as long as they've heard that I am flushing all the rest down the toilet. They said that during my detox they will prescribe me with similar med. to clonidine called lofexidine, but honestly I think that on such a low dose it's easy to go cold turkey with just some counter meds. So guys I'd appreciate to hear from anyone who got any experience or anyone who can give any helpful advice on getting off of methadone cold turkey from low doses like 5-10mg...

Questions..
    1.I've got a good time to begin a detox, should I start it from 5mg or tapper down even more?
    2.What should I expect during the detox?
    3.What over counter med. would you recommend?
    4.How long for a full recovery?
    5.Is withdrawing from done less painful than from H?(I withdrawn from 2b/day H and it was hell, burning skin, cold/hot flushes, goose skin)

P.S. Sry for my English...

I got 300mg of done in stock...

Drug Dose Methadone equivalent
    codeine phosphate 60mg 4mg

considering that 5mg of methadone last me around 20hrs
    and one 60mg codeine last around 3hrs
    I will have to take 7 pills thru all day long

I remember when I used to take 150-300mg's of codeine daily for about 2 weeks the withdrawal symptoms was
    flu like... very manageable..

Any ideas on this one?

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by illkickit View Post
    Hi,

I was on H for about 2 years, not everyday though, then I stopped that and started methadone around 9 months ago,
    started from 30mg, I went down to 10mg within 7months and then back up to 25mg because I had a rough days in my life and went back on >>>>>> for about a week or two together with methadone now it's been 2months clean of H. Today I am down to 5mg a day, but I should mention that it's only a first day on 5mg, yesterday my dose was 7.5mg and I felt good, day before yesterday I had 7.5mg as soon as I woke up and 2mg before bed time, then one before that was 9.5mg-10mg a day, I were on 10mg for about a week and 1/2. All this time I was tapering down from 25mg I felt like it is going to be easy.. Today is alright but I think I will have a little disturbed sleep as always since I tapper down from 25mg I always wake up at 3-4AM to take my next dose, can't wait anymore to get my hands off of any >>>>... About 3 weeks ago when I was on 18mg, My recovery worker has got me a home detox plan but I can see that she's delaying that in order to make more money for themselves. Changing app. dates, etc.., my pharmacy is giving me 26mg of methadone daily, and I'm only on 5mg today. I told that to my recovery team and they all know that, but they don't care about lowering it as long as they've heard that I am flushing all the rest down the toilet. They said that during my detox they will prescribe me with similar med. to clonidine called lofexidine, but honestly I think that on such a low dose it's easy to go cold turkey with just some counter meds. So guys I'd appreciate to hear from anyone who got any experience or anyone who can give any helpful advice on getting off of methadone cold turkey from low doses like 5-10mg...

Questions..
    1.I've got a good time to begin a detox, should I start it from 5mg or tapper down even more?
    2.What should I expect during the detox?
    3.What over counter med. would you recommend?
    4.How long for a full recovery?
    5.Is withdrawing from done less painful than from H?(I withdrawn from 2b/day H and it was hell, burning skin, cold/hot flushes, goose skin)

P.S. Sry for my English...

Welcome to the forum, I'll Kick It -

I spent nearly 18 years abusing every drug I could get my hands on. Methadone and H were among them, along with all the addictive opiate pills too. And of course I abused benzo's also. Anything to get high was in my arsenal. Sad right? I was on very high doses of methadone (200+ mgs a day) and on it for many years. I tapered the methadone down to about 10mgs a day then switched to Suboxone. That's was my personal choice. And it saved my life. I tapered the subs and now going on 3 years clean in July. You can certainly do it too!

If I were you I would taper the methadone down lower. All the way to zero if you can. And it needs to be done very slowly. If possible I would reduce your dose by about 2% every week if I were you. Need to go very slow when down under 10mgs per day. You're at 5mgs so slow is best. Yes, that's very slow, but it will help you avoid any rough symptoms, exxactly what you want.

To answer your questions....
    1. As I said, start from 5mg and begin reducing by about 2% of each dose.
    2. During detox you should expect a few symptoms, but nothing you can't handle.
    3. Anything OTC that will help you feel better.
    4. Everyone is different so how long for recovery varies.
    5. Wd'ing cam also vary between H and methadone depending on the person.

Try the Thomas Recipe to help get through your detox. Here's the link to it below -
    https://www.drugs.com/forum/featured...wal-35169.html

The recipe does suggest a benzo, but don't use one unless you're alreay taking it under doctors orders. They are way too addicting, even if used properly. Get plenty of exercise as that helps your endorphin production which will help you feel better. Just walking is great. Eat or drink some protein for enerhy issues. Also get lots and lots of fluids in your system. It helps keep you hydrated, while flushing out the toxins. For RLS issues try a heating pad on your legs set on low. Theres also a OTC product called Hylands Restful Legs that mnay say really helps. Theres many vitamins and supplements that will help you through this, but the NUMBER ONE thing that has to happen is you have to WANT THIS bad enough. You really have to want it to be successful.

Now let me ask you a question? What are you planning on doing once you get clean? How are you planning to remain clean? That's what tales the real work. For me it's face to face support meetings of NA and AA. Theres many others too or personal therapy with an addiction counselor. We can't do this alone, this disease is a monster and we need every advantage to fight it.

Hope this helps you. We're here to help and support you all the way. You can do it. You really, really can. Make your plan and stcik to it. I'll check back later. Others will be responding too. Take care.

Randy
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-09-2017 at 07:43 AM.
    illkickit and Addict2017 like this.

Thanks Randy,

The plan is to change the destructive life style to creative one.
    Whatever it takes, without a compromise, till I die..

NA and AA they there to help those who can't fight on their own...
    For those who don't see that the idea is simple..

I hope they'll see it soon..
    We are blessed when we fight,
    We forgotten when give up..

2nd day of 5mg/daily.. I feel good, got slight disturbance but it's bearable..
    Thinking to stay like that for another 2-3 days and try lower it a little more.

3rd day, 5AM, yesterday at 10PM had to take 1mg extra due to flu and I felt >>>>, today 3AM I woke up and took 5mg again, feel better...

Sybil001 is offline Junior Member

Hi illkickit,
    I am currently on day 10 of my detox from methadone. I tapered very slowly over the course of 16 months from 115 mg down to 3 mg. It was impulsive to jump at 3 as I was going to take it all the way down to 0, but I'm glad I did.

You said you were going to stay at 5 mg for 2-3 days and then lower your dose. As you know, methadone has a very long half life. It usually took me 3-4 days to recover from a 1 mg decrease so I went down 1 mg every 6 days. That allowed my body to play catch up so I didn't end up taking more than I planned at times.

As far as the detox goes after making the jump, it's sort of like H detox but less intense and more drawn out. For me, I had similar symptoms for the first 4 days but it came in waves. Staying active and busy helps a lot. I'm still feeling it on day 10 but it's definitely bearable. I've been going to work the whole time. The only meds I've been taking is ibuprofen and Imodium.

I think the key in my case was a VERY slow taper with pauses here and there for a week or two as needed. It's not a race and the slower the better. As for how long the detox lasts, I hear weeks. Like I said, the first 4 days were the worst for me and now it's just a whole lot of lethargy.

I'm hoping it doesn't last much longer than 2 weeks, but being on methadone for months (in my case years) means your body has been storing the drug in your fat cells. This is why it takes so long to feel normal again. I have actually been getting these random times where I feel high and my counselor says that it means my brain is healing itself and endorphins are beginning to work again!

It's unfortunate that your health worker won't help you taper as this is a time when you will need a lot of support and guidance. Hopefully you have a good in-person support system but if not, this forum is helpful! Good luck on your taper and congratulations on making it this far!

Red face

Hey, thanks for advice Sibyl.

Yeah you right I need to extend the reduction time,
    I got a feeling that yea I need about 5-6 days to recover from 1mg reduction on such a low dose...

Day 4, still on 5mg took them today at 3.30AM, now is 10:30PM, didn't took any extra today, feeling great but I know I will wake up at 3.30AM again for the next 5mg.. Will be taking 5mg probably for another 2 days, then will try 4mg on Wednesday..
    Last edited by Anonymous; 02-12-2017 at 05:47 PM.