Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Iwantoff2013
  • 1 Post By iloerose
  • 1 Post By MrBreezy777
methadone withdrawal story FROM HELL and back from 85mg to 6mg Any advice!
    MrBreezy777 is offline New Member

Unhappy methadone withdrawal story FROM HELL and back from 85mg to 6mg Any advice!

to start with my story i have been addicted to many opiates over the years starting early in my teens i started with percs it escalated to oxys then to dilaudids, then to any strong opiate i could get my hands on, then street prices got out of control dealers got greedy and i got drug sick sometimes going 2 months without opiates but still felt withdrawals, then i was desperate to to try anything! bad decision i got on methadone treatment on and off for awhile, heres where my MMT starting to be very successful in a sense for the last 5 years went from 85mg now tapered to 6mg but heres where strange happenings occurred bad chest pains, very low energy, and just 4 weeks ago i get heartburn literally from nowwhere but i suspect it to be from methadone withdrawal and the pains, alone from heartburn are pretty deadly i take zantac occasionally but i find theres more side effects than relief from the heartburn, anywho my main concern is getting off methadone but the withdrawals are killing me literally any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

numbOne is offline Member

First time i really tried quitting opiates jan '10 was the first time i ever experienced any chest pains in life. I did see a cardiologist but everything checked out ok. It's worth seeing a Dr for yourself though. I think there is a tremendous amount of stress whne you conclude that soon you will not have any more drugs to lean on, if you couple that with anything else that may be difficult/stressful in life, these factors put pressure on your heart and can elicit a physical response/ailment.

The energy deficit is par for the course.

Where were you in dosing 4 weeks ago? You have to go really really slow with methadone and take it all the way down to nothing. Do all the helpful things like staying hydrated and getting some moderate activity. Take extra vitamins and supplements, be extra cautious with diet in general. Look up the 'Thomas recipe' you can use some of the tips as you are coming off and to help give a little boost after you are off as well.

yeah what i meant to say was from 5 years time they dosed me very slowly within those 5 years from 85mg, currently i'm at 6mg next weeek will be 5mg, like maybe they are moving me too fast but i'm like the success story at my clinic , my doc told me no one has gotten that low in the last few years, i've thought about subutex but heard some of the horror stories from that drug but to answer ur question 4 weeks ago i was at 8mg

2BeFreeofThem is offline Member

Great to see someone else have a successful methadone taper!! Congratulations on your success so far, going from 85mg to 6mg is great!!

How long do you stay on each dose now that you've gotten below 10mg??

I'm just now at 16mg from 80-90mg and I started my taper in late June 2013. I'm only going down 1mg at a time right now and just wait for my body to adjust then I drop again. Most of my symptoms have been very mild and usually only last for short periods throughout the day and seem to occur mostly on the second thru fourth days of my drops.

I have not had the symptoms you mention, but everyones experience is different.

I feel so fortunate to not have to work with a clinic, as my Pain Mgt doctor is helping with my taper. I'm sure it makes it a little harder having to go through their process sometimes.

Anyway, I wish you the best and please keep us posted, I really look forward to reading up on your future success, its an inspiration to me.
    Check out my thread if your interested
    Kat

x2 it's great to see your success. Your body is having a difficult time as it just doesnt have the amount of drug it needs function and is reacting to that. People usually go to sub because it's easier to taper and the cravings arent so bad - you have done so well with this that i am would NOT recommend introducing a new drug into your system. If you were feeling better i would say just stay on your dose longer so that you stabilize on it. I don't know. Check with a Dr to ensure your safety and try to combat symptoms with natural remedies and non-narcotics. Methadone has gnarly withdrawl unlike any others. If you get checked out and are fine physically but still feel chest tension, i see two options. You can chance it and just continue slow weekly 1mg drops down to nothing OR (going against the grain here) you can go back top the 6 Mg or 8 mg whichever dose you felt ok at and then stay there for a month. Seriously. Then continue reducing but at an even slower pace. Wish i could be more helpful. You will be in my thoughts.

well hell i would try subutex or suboxone if i could afford it, its a very expensive drug , i dont see why they dont use bupenorphine, i read an article saying bupenorphine gives u mild eurpohia but also heard subutex users say this isnt true , its more of a way for drug companies to screw u into paying more money cause the bupenorphine by itself is pretty cheap but with the naloxone ur paying a arm and a leg

re: to 2befreeofthem thanks for the encouragement to answer ur question i drop 1mg every 3 weeks then i see the meth clinic doctor and she asks me what i want to do usually up or down are the two options but hell the withdrawal from methadone is killer i wonder how'll i'll feel at 1mg i haven't done opiates for roughly 5 years and i dont plan too relapse but if the withdrawal pains i'm scared i might be tempted too, the herbal supplements i take only do so much i take relaxall for sleep which is phenibut and valerian root, also take melatonin , i'm basically a vegetarian now due to my heartburn problems , the only meat i eat is pickeril but only cause i have zero heartburn from it thats my healthily eating regimen since the heartburn but i'll check ur posts out later encouragement from both sides helps

RE: numbOne um.. the thomas recipe is more for short acting opiates if i'm not mistaken but thanks for the reply to be honest if it wasnt for videogames i dont know what the hell i would do with my time lol 27 yrs old and i still feel like a big kidi'll probably be play ing well into my 60's lol

Mr Breezy, Actually the thomas recipe is for people going cold turkey. But the ingredients are useful regardless.
    I was not recommending sub to, not because of pricing but because you have been so successful this far tapering down with Methadone - I would not introduce a whole new drug to your system.

Re: VideoGames. I've got a few years on you but still play the heck outta games. Mainly sports but sometime venture into other genres. Just finished up a RPG this w/e...ni no kuni. Great game! last RPG i played was Final Fantasy...so yeah i will be likely be playing into my old age as well. Admit it's harder to get into them minus the drugs...mainly herb was my goto for gaming - but i try.

Oh btw subutex is same as suboxone just w/out the naloxone. It's pure bup.

nicm26 is offline New Member

hi there! New to this forum and having some struggles of my own but I do have experience kicking methadone (though my experience was c/t @ 120 mgs uhh!!) Do you have a prescribing doctor? I know clonidine and promethazine helped me a great deal. The clonidine for the anxiety and sweating and the promethazine for the stomach/heartburn. Some doctors might not want to prescribe promethazine because it has been known to enhance the effects of methadone but there are similar drugs that don't have the same side effects (hydroxizine, compazine) hope this helps! Keep posting so we know how you're doing!!

I don't know how you would feel about this. I'm detoxing from methadone in a hurry also. I'm going to do the rapid sedation detox, the place I'm going specializes in getting methadone out of the system in a hurry. I don't know if rapid detox would be for you since you are at such a low milligram; however I would at least look into to getting some clonadine or gabapintin to help with the w/d. Btw, I think you have done amazing!

Default Re: numbOne

sorry it took so long to reply, i am currently quiting cigarettes 9 days solid so far i know i'm just as surprised as u lol also forget my password lol but to answer ur question about thomas recipe , i use elements of it mainly the suggestion of benzos like valium but those are emergencies only!! usually i take phenibut with valiern root which in essence is natural valium but weaker than v's and without dangerous chemicals , also i take L-tyrosine for dopamine production highly recommended and DL-phenylalanine also trimethylglycine and if i can find bupleurum "the herb" i might be able to get off methadone completely hope to god , btw havent played ni no kuni but friends say its awesome , i myself just beat Ico and before that hitman absolution both great games, i see what u mean though about games associated with drugs although i find pot and bubblehash to be great helpers in that department my mind wanders as well if i dont

prescribing doctor like a pain management doc ? no i wish or else my initial option wouldnt have been methadone lol , i see a methadone clinic doctor who sees me once every 2 months, i personally am against the use of clonidine as it causes hypotension and even some have died from it. but i have used it ,somewhat beneficial but the side effects not so much , also against the use of promethazine but thats just me nic

i dont know much about the risks of rapid detox but i do know its hella expensive lol, thanks btw u too have done amazing and i hope god blesses u through ur rapid treatmentbut look into the risks first also us addicts even though treated still have the tendency to relapse and if u do dont be too hard on urself peace out

lucyblue76 is offline New Member

im trying to find advice about using methadone to aid in withdraw from opiates... I am a regular percocet/vicodin user. I'm trying to quit completely and knowing i cannot go cold turkey, i thought i would try substituting my drugs with methadone for a while. I have taken it before when it was all i could find, but def not my drug of choice. Its been 2 days off the percs for me and my main complaint is the depression and worry. I have a little bit of stomach issue and headache, but nowhere near what i thought it would be like. I feel like im cheating. Everyone is so proud of me for quitting, but i still feel guilty because i haven't really quit.

So back to the topic... i am a little worried about using the methadone in this manner becuz apparently it is a >>>>> to quit. I went from roughly 100mg a day steady for 6 years (plus or minus a few mgs) to trying to stay under 30mg a day of methadone. Any advice on a scheduled dosing to help me quit entirely?

Iwantoff2013 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucyblue76 View Post
    im trying to find advice about using methadone to aid in withdraw from opiates... I am a regular percocet/vicodin user. I'm trying to quit completely and knowing i cannot go cold turkey, i thought i would try substituting my drugs with methadone for a while. I have taken it before when it was all i could find, but def not my drug of choice. Its been 2 days off the percs for me and my main complaint is the depression and worry. I have a little bit of stomach issue and headache, but nowhere near what i thought it would be like. I feel like im cheating. Everyone is so proud of me for quitting, but i still feel guilty because i haven't really quit.

So back to the topic... i am a little worried about using the methadone in this manner becuz apparently it is a >>>>> to quit. I went from roughly 100mg a day steady for 6 years (plus or minus a few mgs) to trying to stay under 30mg a day of methadone. Any advice on a scheduled dosing to help me quit entirely?
    I don't know anything about methadone, sorry. But there are many people here who do. You should start your own thread so people can respond directly to you. You'll get more replies that way.

Good luck!
    lucyblue76 likes this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Are you on percs and vikes? How much and how long? What is the reason you cannot c/t using the Thomas Recipe? If this is what you are on you should look into subs before you try the methadone. You know as well as I do that you are trading one addiction for another with the methadone.

Now it also sounds like you are already there with the methadone, difficult to tell from your post, which is why my reply is convoluted. There are people that have weaned down from methadone entirely and it's a long process as you need to drop very slowly, I mean a few mg. every 10-14 days. You need to do a slow taper. I'd recommend no more than .10% every 10-14 days if you can tolerate that, you may want to go more slowly since you've been on the methadone for six years. The only other thing I can recommend is that you jump from methadone to suboxone, which is easier to wean from than methadone. I would read 2befreeofthem's thread. She posted above and if you click on the name it will take you to the profile, and then you can find the thread.
    You have to be truly committed to the methadone taper. It is not going to be easy. Are you taking the percs and the vikes at the same time as the methadone? I was confused by that point. So what exactly is it that you are taking? Please explain

Peace,

Iloerose
    lucyblue76 likes this.

yes methadone is hell to get off of because its a long acting opiate could u imagine withdrawing for up to 8 months after ur last dose of methadone? it also screws up dopamine production and can screw with all sorts of mechanisms in ur body such as ur sleep, hormones, i wouldn't recommend methadone maintenance but if its a last scenario then do what u gotta do but i would suggest a few things for dopamine production L-tryosine, DL-phenylalanine and a herb called bupleurum if u can find it that is that would be the healthy wauy to do it , the chemical way is subutex or methadone, methadone being cheaper and more dangerous in a sense, and subutex being ridiculously expensive and easier to get off ive done the chemical way for 10 years now just starting to understand the alternative healthly way now lol
    lucyblue76 likes this.

lucyblue76 is offline New Member

@rose-- I'm sorry, I didn't see this post right away and I did take the advice and start my own thread. You may have posted in there even??

I am not using any percs or vics or anything other than the methadone. it is pretty minimal at this point. I originally thought I would just use it whenever i felt I couldn't take the pain anymore and then somehow stretch out as long as I could until the next dose. I have realized now thru reading and generally thinking and being honest with myself and realize that I would probably benefit much more thru some type of dosing schedule. Take this with the understanding that I know I am an addict and therefore maybe not the absolute best to make this decision, but I am really pretty honest with myself as far as what I can and can't do. I set limits for myself and for the most part, I have been able to stick to them. Or at least I had some sort of minimal control over my addiction--until I didn't anymore. No other way to put it that I can think of. At this point now, all I think about is getting clean, I have never wanted anything more. On the note of being honest with myself, for whatever reason (and hopefully not a lot of judgement--opposite of what i am here for) cold turkey does not work for me. I have tried it several times, it is just not what is going to work for me. I am here now learning and discovering (or at least attempting to) find new ways that WILL work for me. I know that methadone is serious, scary and not to be f'd with! I know it is stronger than my DOC, therefore Im not taking the same mgs as those. I'd say its roughly 20% at this moment. In the morning (if I sleep, lol) or tonight, I will work out some sort of schedule that I think I can stick to and that makes sense as far as the drop/taper methods I have seen on here, somewhat modified for my personal experience.

I have not solely been on dones for 6 years, rather they were interspersed throughout i'd say 15% of the time. Usually for a couple days at a time, any more than that and I would feel like the hulk somewhat, lol. They made me very irritable, sleep was almost scary. I liked the way the affected me enough to keep them in the rotation but thankfully not enough to make it my only choice.

I am committed to this taper, for sure. My (somewhat beggining of) a plan is to try this for two weeks. However, I am still allowing myself to consider going whole hog with the Thomas method. As I said, I am still in the process of learning what is going to work for me. So far, my method is working but if i am not getting the results I want (meaning if it does seem like its just an even trade with no light at the end) I will switch to a different method. It took me a year to get to the point i have been at this past week or so, but now that I'm here, I am in it. I will not stop until I have stopped the drugs completely. Of that I am certain.

Subs are really not much of an option for me. I wish they were, they do sound much better, but i might have to rule them out entirely.

breezy--if i get to that point, i may ask you more about the other natural way you mentioned. I have heard of the L-ty thru the thomas recipe but the other 2 are new to me and im curious about yr experience or advice with them possibly.

Thank you rose and breezy for taking the time to respond. You have both really helped and I appreciate your honestly and your support and advice. Good luck to you both in continued recovery.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Lucy: I thought I saw a thread somewhere else, LOL. Thanks for clearing up my misunderstanding. I'll check on your other thread. You are brave tapering the methadone. I don't think you want to jump at 30mg. methadone. Man, I wouldn't wish that w/d on anyone. I wish you the best of luck with the plan that you come up with. Mr. Breezy sounds like he has some excellent advice for you.

Peace,

Iloerose

i am just taking the methadone been sober from opiates roughly 4yrs i discountined the recipe cause its more for short acting opiate , methadone is a long acting semi synthetic opiates so theres a bit of a difference , also the thomas recipe does only so much but i'm going back to gaming my mind wanders and i also have bad add did i mention i'm withdrawing from nicotine as well so i'm kinda easily bored/annoyed anywho i'll check this post later take care ya'll

i have to halt my progression with MMT i have been getting aches pains with my current dose of 4mg and next week it will be 3mg so i'm not sure what to do , its been rough lately also getting cravings lately as well thinking bout suboxone i just hope i can afford it