• 1 Post By LaGlo727
  • 1 Post By nisstyr
  • 1 Post By nisstyr
  • 1 Post By LaGlo727
  • 1 Post By justmekw
  • 1 Post By James19871
  • 1 Post By Krislynnd
  • 1 Post By nisstyr
Methadone Withdrawals After 10 Days of Use?
    nisstyr is offline New Member

Default Methadone Withdrawals After 10 Days of Use?

Will I go through the horrible Methadone Withdrawals that people talk about after using it for just 10 days? Yes I was addicted to opiates before I started using it, mostly Ms Contin for the last few months and oxy before that which I was prescribed. I know I'm going to have withdrawals but will it be the long drawn out methadone withdrawals that people talk about since I've only used it 10 days. I was thinking about going on subs but I just can't justify paying $800+ to Dr just to get hooked on something else I'll ha e to quit. I called a few sub Dr's and none take health insurance so all the visits I would have to go to add p to a lot of money. I just want to kick this myself and be done with it but I'm terrified of the long lasting withdrawals people say methadone gives you. I've kicked oxys for months at a time a few times so I'm no stranger to the typical 2 weeks of feeling really sick. The first 3-4 days of which are pure hell. I do have access to some benzos and ambien for when it gets bad and I have some mscontin I can half if it gets real bad. Anyway I just wanted to see if anyone could tell me what I'm in for after 10 days on methadone.

LaGlo727 is offline Member

Hi there... While I can't tell you if you will indeed have the full on methadone withdrawals, I would guess you will unfortunately have some type of symptoms. I'm guessing at least some of the following: fatigue/lack of motivation, possible digestive upset (nausea, diarrhea) and restless legs, insomnia, etc. All this is due to the fact that your body does have a dependency on opiates prior to the methadone usage. How much methadone do you take daily? The amount would likely have a lot to do with what you will experience. I wish I could tell you for sure but I can't. When I tapered off methadone, I had been using it daily for 4yrs... Maybe someone else will have more info. I'd def avoid taking any other opiates to get thru it tho. That's just me.
    Ming23 likes this.

Well I started at 20mg the first day, then I did 35mg for 5 days and 40mg the last 4 days. I don't plan on going to the clinic in the morning since I know continuing use is only going to prolong the withdrawals. From what I've been reading, it takes some time for methadone to build up in your body and the fat tissues ect. I don't think 10 days is long enough for it to have built up much. I know that the dose I take doesn't even last a full 24 hours because I have pretty bad leg and stomach cramps by about 4am everyday and I usually take it around 9am everyday. So if I'm still getting mild withdrawal symptoms after 19 hours it can't be built up much yet. I just hope its not extremely bad but I'm ready for whatever happens I suppose. Like I said I have some kolonopin and ambien for when it gets bad so hopefully I can get some sleep the first few days to get through them easier. And most people don't ever mention it but i remember the last time I stopped oxys weed really helped a lot with a bunch of the symptoms so I have some of that too. If you have 0 tolerance to weed like I do right now it will help quite a bit with body aches, appetite and even sleep. Don't underestimate the power of marijuana. Hell if weed was legal everywhere I bet half the people on this site would OF never got addicted to anything in the first place. I had my spinal cord injury when I was 26 and I never messed with opiates before that but I did smoke weed. If it wasn't for my sci I would OF never messed with them. It sucks how Dr's make you think its OK, and you believe it until the addiction totally wrecks your life.
    Ming23 likes this.

Well I was bored so I did the math to see how much methadone is in my system assuming the half-life is 24 hours and decreases by half every 24 hours. It actually mind of scared me to find out that if that holds true I have roughly 79.5 mg of methadone in my system. And it will take 8 days until I will have less then a half mg in my system. Here's to hoping it doesn't actually stick with you that long during the first week or so of Use. Uhhgg I would be losing if I said I wasn't terrified of this. I just refuse to pay a Dr. $1000+ to get on a sub program which is what it would cost when you add up all the mandatory appointments and the cost of medicine. Plus I would have to get off that too so going through a few weeks of pain and discomfort seems worth it in the long run. The methadone clinic wasn't cheap either costing $112 a week or $448 a month. I just hope I don't get so bad that I can't take my dog out. I live in a condo so I don't have my own yard and have to take him out on a leash. I'm a paraplegic and I know when withdrawals get bad my legs and basically every muscle I can't control spasms like crazy to the point that I can't sit in my chair because my own legs will knock me out of it. My ex wife has agreed to help me with this though so hopefully she'll take him for a few days if I get to that point. I know the last time when it was an oxy habit I was able to get up in my chair and get around at like day 4. I guess I will get some dog food and bottled water in the bedroom in case I need to feed him in here for a while. Luckily he's not big, he's a french bulldog named Enzo and I'm glad I'll have his company through this. He never leaves my side, he's extremely loyal.
    Ming23 likes this.

LaGlo727 is offline Member

Yes, i hesitate to promote any type of illicit substance usage in such a forum, I agree marijuana helps. Like I said, I tapered off methadone after 4yrs (started at 30mg and eventually over time for up to 110mg (due to the staff at the clinic advising me that i "needed" it)...tapered to 52mg over a couple years, stayed there a few months then went slowly to 19mg and eventually did a 1mg/ day taper to 0mg... I can tell you I didn't experience anything close to what I was expecting. I was tired... Had headaches (truthfully been having them for months prior to that)... Some RLS (not too bad)... But the main issue I was concerned about was the insomnia everyone mentioned. I never had that. I slept all night long and I attribute that to marijuana. It helped me to calm my legs enough to fall asleep and once I was out, I was out. I also took about 15mg melatonin. Anyway, if you have access, I'd suggest that. Today is 30 days for me and I can truthfully say that I never felt really that bad at all the entire time. I feel like the fear of the unknown was the worst part. But I simply did NOT allow myself to dwell or have a pity party. It can be done if you just decide you will get thru it however possible. A good support system at home and full honesty is also key.
    Ming23 likes this.

justmekw is offline Member

I took methadone a long time ago for short times to get off pain pills and had no withdrawals from it. The last time I took methadone for over 5 years and had withdrawals for 2 months. Please don't take it very long the clinic wants you hooked to make money off of you.
    Ming23 likes this.

James19871 is offline Member

I agree with justmekw. I spent 12 years of my life on suboxone. Huge mistake! I got complacent on it even though my life was better than ever. I kept kicking the can down the road. Getting off it was pure torture. I was in bad acute withdrawal for a month straight. Those long acting opioids like methadone and suboxone bind to your brain receptors like no other. Consider yourself lucky you've only been on it 10 days. You'll be fine, just hang in there. You won't suffer like I did. Please let me know if I can be of any support!!
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by James19871 View Post
    I agree with justmekw. I spent 12 years of my life on suboxone. Huge mistake! I got complacent on it even though my life was better than ever. I kept kicking the can down the road. Getting off it was pure torture. I was in bad acute withdrawal for a month straight. Those long acting opioids like methadone and suboxone bind to your brain receptors like no other. Consider yourself lucky you've only been on it 10 days. You'll be fine, just hang in there. You won't suffer like I did. Please let me know if I can be of any support!!
    nysstr!
    Although you've only been on methadone for 10 days, you were addicted to oxys prior to that. There is a build up of drugs in your system already. Planning on combating the methadone wd with an oxy that you can break in half, i think you said, is counter productive and will, in fact, prolong wds! The receptors in the body fill with the drugs. They care not if it's drug A or drug B. So unless you do a taper, just get ready to let go of thinking like that. You will be better off taking nothing.
    Drink plenty of liquids! It really helps. Sounds simple but it flushes out the poisons more quickly. Watch what you eat. Methadone will seriously mess with your guts. Try to keep a bland diet that allows for elimination of waste materials. Gas hurts a lot. Get Imodium.
    It's a good year to let go of methadone. I did it too.
    Happy New Year!

Krislynnd is offline New Member

Default Fifth week off methadone

Hi, this is my first time commenting on a thread, I've been doing alot of reading about this to be strong and get through methadone withdrawal. I'll try and give a quick run down of my situation. My husband has been on methadone for 8 years, 60-70mgs per day. He was prescribed lower opiates after a failed spine fusion, his tolerance went up and up and so they placed him on that devil drug methadone. At first he loved it but slowly it started ruining our lives, fear of running out and withdrawal and then I became addicted also after he was giving me some for terrible tooth pain and it escalated from there...then we had to share his scripts. Well he (we) decided enough, and he talked to his awesome Dr. About what happened and that he (we) wanted off. His doctor helped him do a six month taper down to ten mgs. per day. Then he had three days with nothing, his doc then prescribed oxy 15s 2 a day for three weeks.. Then nothing for two days. He then prescribed narcos for three weeks.. After the narcos he gave him a script for brutran patches...its been well over a month, almost two months since we last took methadone. I've had ZERO withdrawal, only some fast runs to the bathroom that I can control with over the counter meds. The brutran patches have been on for two weeks and it only delivers in micro milligrams a day..so basically you r getting at the most half a milligram of bute. He next will prescribe gabapentin which will help with any leftover anxiety and insomia. I know I'm not completely clear of it though and realize I could have some PAWS symptoms for a long time, but who knows everyone is different. It was a hell of alot better then going cold turkey and feeling like death, cause that's what methadone withdrawal feels like, death! I'm very thankful he had such a supportive and awesome Dr. To help us. And thank-you to you all, I've read so many many posts for support that helped inspire and pushed me to do the right thing...I'll be so happy to be free of this demon drug!!
    Ming23 likes this.

Krislynnd is offline New Member

Default Fifth week off methadone

Hi, this is my first time commenting on a thread, I've been doing alot of reading about this to be strong and get through methadone withdrawal. I'll try and give a quick run down of my situation. My husband has been on methadone for 8 years, 60-70mgs per day. He was prescribed lower opiates after a failed spine fusion, his tolerance went up and up and so they placed him on that devil drug methadone. At first he loved it but slowly it started ruining our lives, fear of running out and withdrawal and then I became addicted also after he was giving me some for terrible tooth pain and it escalated from there...then we had to share his scripts. Well he (we) decided enough, and he talked to his awesome Dr. About what happened and that he (we) wanted off. His doctor helped him do a six month taper down to ten mgs. per day. Then he had three days with nothing, his doc then prescribed oxy 15s 2 a day for three weeks.. Then nothing for two days. He then prescribed narcos for three weeks.. After the narcos he gave him a script for brutran patches...its been well over a month, almost two months since we last took methadone. I've had ZERO withdrawal, only some fast runs to the bathroom that I can control with over the counter meds. The brutran patches have been on for two weeks and it only delivers in micro milligrams a day..so basically you r getting at the most half a milligram of bute. He next will prescribe gabapentin which will help with any leftover anxiety and insomia. I know I'm not completely clear of it though and realize I could have some PAWS symptoms for a long time, but who knows everyone is different. It was a hell of alot better then going cold turkey and feeling like death, cause that's what methadone withdrawal feels like, death! I'm very thankful he had such a supportive and awesome Dr. To help us. And thank-you to you all, I've read so many many posts for support that helped inspire and pushed me to do the right thing...I'll be so happy to be free of this demon drug!!

Uhhgg day 4 of nothing but kolonopin and ambien. But those are gone now. I only needed them the first few days. Feel pretty >>>>y today but I at least have a really good appetite. I actually slept through a good part of the first few days by taking lots of ambien. I guess it's not what I would consider hell right now, just uncomfortable. What sucks with me is I'm a paraplegic so my legs which I can't feel or control just keep going nuts every second. They just shake and shake and can easily knock me out of my chair if I'm not careful. It's just hard to take my mind off it when my leg spasms continuously remind me I got this though, its not the first time I've had to do it.
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Nisstyr
    Hang in there! It will get better over time. Ten days of methadone takes a toll.. But you were on the oxys prior to that, right? When did you take your last pill, if i may ask, and how much were u taking before u switched to methadone for 10 days?
    If you were taking pills long enough to get addicted to them, you can expect wds. But perhaps you beat most of that during the 10 days on methadone. Now, that methadone will recycle itself out of your body.
    Any way you look at it, there will be some readjustment by the body to the lack of drugs.
    Very proud of you for taking this leap.
    You can do this!