mom is "abusing" an anti-depressant
    matthewbacher is offline New Member

Default mom is "abusing" an anti-depressant

My mother has always had trouble with health problems. She has pretty bad lupus(which she got from her mom drinking while she was pregnant with her), her mother and sister were abusive to her (which contributes to her taking these anti-depressants), and has had multiple surgeries and close-call ER visits. She has had ankle and knee surgery (knee replacement) and at this point in time she can barely walk without help because her knee and ankle both have gotten progressively worse. She keeps telling us that she will see someone about them but she never does. Needless to say, she is a huge mess right now. Until recently (about a year, year and a half maybe)she has been impossible to live with.

She has been taking some anti-depressant (if I find out what it is I will let you know) and she has had constant mood swings, doesn't realize where she is, slurred words, and what she says doesn't make any sense when she's on this medicine. I can tell when she has and has not taken this medicine. I love and have always loved my mother. She is sweet, kind, and caring (also a nurse if that helps) but I can't stand to be around her for more than ten minutes. She is consantly saying, "hey, matt" or, to my dad, "Ed, hey Ed, can you help me please?"

It's not a problem that she asks for help, but it's almost every 30 minutes. Me and my dad can't take it anymore and we don't know what to do. We don't know who to call, what to do, or where to start. We have told her that she should not be taking them but she takes them anyway. I am desperate at this point - I love my parents more than anything but my mother is insufferable and horrible. I need some help.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-02-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: tags

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matthewbacher View Post
    My mother has always had trouble with health problems. She has pretty bad lupus(which she got from her mom drinking while she was pregnant with her), her mother and sister were abusive to her (which contributes to her taking these anti-depressants), and has had multiple surgeries and close-call ER visits. She has had ankle and knee surgery (knee replacement) and at this point in time she can barely walk without help because her knee and ankle both have gotten progressively worse. She keeps telling us that she will see someone about them but she never does. Needless to say, she is a huge mess right now. Until recently (about a year, year and a half maybe)she has been impossible to live with.

She has been taking some anti-depressant (if I find out what it is I will let you know) and she has had constant mood swings, doesn't realize where she is, slurred words, and what she says doesn't make any sense when she's on this medicine. I can tell when she has and has not taken this medicine. I love and have always loved my mother. She is sweet, kind, and caring (also a nurse if that helps) but I can't stand to be around her for more than ten minutes. She is consantly saying, "hey, matt" or, to my dad, "Ed, hey Ed, can you help me please?"

It's not a problem that she asks for help, but it's almost every 30 minutes. Me and my dad can't take it anymore and we don't know what to do. We don't know who to call, what to do, or where to start. We have told her that she should not be taking them but she takes them anyway. I am desperate at this point - I love my parents more than anything but my mother is insufferable and horrible. I need some help.
    Matt - are you sure she is taking antidepressants or perhaps something else, maybe she is taking more than just one med? You need to find out EXACTLY what meds she is taking and how much per day? We need to know before we can offer you any information and/or advice regarding that part of your post? I would definitely recommend that you and your dad seek the help and advice of a family counselor regarding the rest of your issues and concerns about your mom, they will be able to help you! Give us an update when you get that info on the meds? Be well... God bless us all!