Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sm1970
  • 1 Post By sm1970
  • 1 Post By sm1970
  • 2 Post By Randy35
My 1st week tapering off of Tramadol
    sm1970 is offline New Member

Default My 1st week tapering off of Tramadol

Hi! I'm brand new to this thread. I've been on Tramadol for about 2 years for chronic knee pain to a botched surgery. Several surgeries later still led me to be in so much pain. At one time I was taking 150mg 3-4x/day. That's way too much. I finally had to learn to regulate my dosage to 250mg/day since the amount of my prescription was decreased. And that was still more than I was prescribed. Because I was starting to run low, just last Wed I finally decided I've had enough of this evil medication. I want off! When it was 1st prescribed to me, I was told that Tramadol had no consequences of addiction or w/d's. I'm so angry at myself. I don't want to live like this anymore. Also, I don't want to go cold turkey so I decided that I would start taking 75mg in the morning & no more the rest of the day. It's been very hard. So far I have been successful. I even made an appointment with my primary care doc to get help. The anxiety & the creepy crawly feelings have been the worse parts for me. My doc prescribed me Lyrica & Xanax. I had previously been on Lyrica (150mg 2x/day) & I did quit that cold turkey almost 2 months ago. That wasn't too bad. So, he said to go back on the Lyrica because it has apparently been successful with w/d's. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. However. I've only been taking the Lyrica in the afternoons once a day. It has helped with the afternoon discomfort. I'm even considering going to an NA meeting. I've never taken any type of med before, nor have I ever tried smoking weed. I don't even drink. And now my life has been so consumed with taking Tramadol. I really need the support & suggestions. And I would love to hear from anyone who has completely won the battle of getting off of Tramadol. I'm ready & willing to quit & I know it's not going to be easy. Thanks so much!

Ricky71 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by sm1970 View Post
    Hi! I'm brand new to this thread. I've been on Tramadol for about 2 years for chronic knee pain to a botched surgery. Several surgeries later still led me to be in so much pain. At one time I was taking 150mg 3-4x/day. That's way too much. I finally had to learn to regulate my dosage to 250mg/day since the amount of my prescription was decreased. And that was still more than I was prescribed. Because I was starting to run low, just last Wed I finally decided I've had enough of this evil medication. I want off! When it was 1st prescribed to me, I was told that Tramadol had no consequences of addiction or w/d's. I'm so angry at myself. I don't want to live like this anymore. Also, I don't want to go cold turkey so I decided that I would start taking 75mg in the morning & no more the rest of the day. It's been very hard. So far I have been successful. I even made an appointment with my primary care doc to get help. The anxiety & the creepy crawly feelings have been the worse parts for me. My doc prescribed me Lyrica & Xanax. I had previously been on Lyrica (150mg 2x/day) & I did quit that cold turkey almost 2 months ago. That wasn't too bad. So, he said to go back on the Lyrica because it has apparently been successful with w/d's. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing. However. I've only been taking the Lyrica in the afternoons once a day. It has helped with the afternoon discomfort. I'm even considering going to an NA meeting. I've never taken any type of med before, nor have I ever tried smoking weed. I don't even drink. And now my life has been so consumed with taking Tramadol. I really need the support & suggestions. And I would love to hear from anyone who has completely won the battle of getting off of Tramadol. I'm ready & willing to quit & I know it's not going to be easy. Thanks so much!
    Hello and welcome to the forum. The problem with tramadol is that not only does it have a opiate effect it also has a SNRI effect, a doubled edged sword if you will! The withdrawals can be pretty severe especially from the SNRI aspect! You shouldn't quit tramadol cold turkey, it can be dangerous to do so! Coming off tramadol isn't easy by any means but can be done successfully with minimal discomfort! You have to taper extremely slow, around 5-10% every 7-10 days or so? The slower the taper the better, the key is to have your body adjust to the lower doses with very minimal to no withdrawal symptoms! You can adjust the taper faster or slower depending on how you feel? You do not want to taper by too much or too often otherwise you'll have withdrawal symptoms all the way through the entire taper process! When you get to the lower doses you will have to slow the taper down even more. Just remember, when it comes to tapering slow and steady wins the race!

I would caution you about the Xanax, benzos are EXTREMELY addictive and it doesn't take long before they can become a big problem! Benzo detox is the worst, it makes opiate and tramadol detox seem like a walk in the park! Most doctors do not understand how addictive benzos are and they certainly do not know how to properly taper someone off them either!

I have no personal experience with Lyrica but their are members here who have had withdrawal issues with that med as well so keep that in mind?

Keep us updated on your progress? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

Thanks, Ricky71. I actually do understand the consequences of coming off all of these drugs. I didn't mention in my 1st post that I'm an RN. Yesterday was better than today. My plan is to stay on this 75mg/day dosage for a while, until I'm completely comfortable with it. I was even thinking of going slower than that. My plan is that once I've comfortable on this dosage for a few weeks, I will then taper down by just 1/2 pill (25mg). I can do it... I know it.

Thanks, Ricky71. I actually do understand the consequences of coming off all of these drugs. I didn't mention in my 1st post that I'm an RN. Yesterday was better than today. My plan is to stay on this 75mg/day dosage for a while, until I'm completely comfortable with it. I was even thinking of going slower than that. My plan is that once I've comfortable on this dosage for a few weeks, I will then taper down by just 1/2 pill (25mg). I can do it... I know it.
    Okay, sounds good. Keep us posted? Take care... God bless us all!

So far, today is the best I've felt since I started 2 weeks ago.

Originally Posted by sm1970 -

Is it normal that after 2 weeks of my super taper of 200-300mg/day (about 2 years) to 75mg/day to feel like >>>> again after a day of feeling great? This is so frustrating.

Reply from Cat -
    It sure is. The improvement is gradual with a good day sprinkled in with lots of not so good days. Then the good days become more frequent. I know it's frustrating but the fact that you had a good day is a sign that things are turning around. Don't let the bad ones get you down because another good one is right around the corner.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Anonymous; 07-26-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Ok, I am still struggling on my 3rd week, mostly with the anxiety & lack of energy. Honestly, I feel worse right now than last week. At the moment, I'm even at the gym. Of course, I feel great during the day after I take my 75mg of Tramadol but once it wears off I start wearing down. I have to say, however, I have NOT been tempted to take a Tramadol since I've started this super taper about 3 weeks ago. I just want to be completely comfortable with what I'm taking before I taper down 25mg (1/2 pill). I guess that's reasonable. I really would love some feedback & assurance. Thanks & God bless!

Ok, I am still struggling on my 3rd week, mostly with the anxiety & lack of energy. Honestly, I feel worse right now than last week. At the moment, I'm even at the gym. Of course, I feel great during the day after I take my 75mg of Tramadol but once it wears off I start wearing down. I have to say, however, I have NOT been tempted to take a Tramadol since I've started this super taper about 3 weeks ago. I just want to be completely comfortable with what I'm taking before I taper down 25mg (1/2 pill). I guess that's reasonable. I really would love some feedback & assurance. Thanks & God bless!
    I'm sorry that you are not feeling well. Please re-read my first post to you especially the taper schedule that I provided? You have tapered WAY TOO FAST! You can either stay at 75mg/day and wait until you level out and then taper using the schedule I mentioned before or go back up in dose, get stable then begin the proper/slow taper? Slow and steady wins the race! Don't rush the process or you will suffer unnecessarily! I wish you well... God bless us all!

Hi again, Ricky71. I understand what you're saying about the slow tapering. I don't really have enough left to go back & do a slow taper, nor do I want to ask for more. However, I have plenty enough to stay at the 75mg for a while before tapering down. I'm actually having a decent workout at the gym at this moment so it can't be that bad... right?!!! If you don't mind my asking, what is your history with addiction? You seem to have a lot of great advice to others on this forum. I've seen many times where you've posted help answers. Hope your day is well.
    Lvg nghtmare likes this.

Hi again, Ricky71. I understand what you're saying about the slow tapering. I don't really have enough left to go back & do a slow taper, nor do I want to ask for more. However, I have plenty enough to stay at the 75mg for a while before tapering down. I'm actually having a decent workout at the gym at this moment so it can't be that bad... right?!!! If you don't mind my asking, what is your history with addiction? You seem to have a lot of great advice to others on this forum. I've seen many times where you've posted help answers. Hope your day is well.
    I do have a few threads on the forums here from a year and a half ago. I had some issues with oxycodone which was a complete nightmare, I wasn't very educated at the time and tapered those way too fast! I dabbled a bit with subs and tramadol right before I started the oxy taper. Then like an idiot I got hooked on Ativan and then Xanax, benzos are the worst to come off of, a very slow process! I received alot of great help and support back then, I learned quite a bit! I further educated myself by reading other threads and doing alot of online research. Now a days I like to "pay it forward" and share my knowledge as much as I can? I remember how scared and helpless I felt when I was going through all my problems with the opiates and benzos, if I'm able to help someone through their issue/issues with those same problems then I'm glad and more than happy to do so! Take care my friend... God bless us all!

egy1973victor is offline New Member

Supplements 5htp..niacin.. L tyrosine and excercise really helps... Dont try to use one method for relief uses multible methods at same time you dont know which will works... Im on day 12 tramadol withdrawal after 4 years usage... Also taking small doses not good you have to feel pain to heal so your brain makes endorphins again.... Good luck

Wow! That's great, Ricky71. I've been reading through some threads & I had noticed you posted quite a bit. It certainly helps mentally hearing from someone who's been through it & succeeded. I finally figured out this site a little more & found some of your previous threads. What an amazing testimony you are. It's such a blessing to know that you are helping so many people. Keep up the great work. It's 3:45am est at the moment & slept very well tonite until my fiancé starting screaming in his sleep. And I feel good at this moment. It's just so frustrating when you have these good moments & then revert back to bad moments. I know that I'm going to be ok in the end because I don't even crave another pill & I certainly don't want to go through this ever again.

Hi, Victor! Congrats on Day 12. We're at about the same time except I'm not free from these evil pills. I have read many times that once you get off the pain meds, you realize that the pain is not as bad as you thought it was. Reading that must have been good for me because I'm finding it's been the case for me. I just don't like the anxiety that goes along with w/d's. I don't like at all! It's not as bad as the 1st week 1/2 & even the slightest anxiety nowawads gets me worried. How are you feeling now that you're off? It's unbelievable how hard it is to come off so I commend you.

Hi there. Update! But 1st, I just realized that my last update is not posted at all. Anyway, I've been awake since about 3am with some mild anxiety. I've been able to work through it by just getting on the internet checking FB, etc. I'm still working on my slow taper & still at the 75mg/day in the morning. I started out by saying that this is going to be a slow taper for me, which I need. However, I am proud to say that I have NOT gone astray & taken anymore of my allotted dosage, nor have I even wanted to. I'm actually going to the beach for vacation in about 3 weeks & I decieded that I'm just going to stay here until I return. I don't want to be miserable during vacation. My last day there is when I plan on letting go of that 1/2 pill & begin the tapering process again. Seems fair to me. I used to carry Tramadols with me everywhere I went & now I don't. I can't believe that last week I was able to fill my new prescription & I didn't even need to. There was a few evenings ago that my knee was hurting quite a bit & it was an instant thought to take 1 Tramadol but I told myself that would be stupid to do. I know how much those little thoughts can get us in trouble. I stayed strong & went & took some Tylenol arthritis & then soaked in a bath. It was worth skipping that 1 pill. Other than waking up early in the morning with a little mild anxiety, I still get a little sluggish in the afternoon to late evenings. Since I go to bed early anyway, I don't fight it. I'll go walk the dog in the evening & I'm back at the gym again. So, all in all, I'm doing ok. I can't wait until the day I'm finally off these things for good. I have to say that I'm proud of myself. It's still not the easiest thing in the world but it's getting easier. I've had really good days then I've had some bad days. The best part is that I don't "crave" these pills. I crave my life without pills back. I plan on being a part of this forum until the bitter end & even after for those who are trying to get off Tramadols. I don't have the experience with any other drug. I do still have the Xanax but I've only taken a few since I started this process. There's no way in hell I'm going down that road. Have a blessed day!

Hi there! It's been a while since I've been on here but really haven't had many responses. Just wanted to give an UPDATE: I finally tapered down on Tramadol 2 weeks ago to taking just 1 pill (50mg) per day. From where I started to where I am now, is a huge difference. I'm rarely feeling any w/d'a except for the occasional very slight anxiety. And that's been controllable these days. From the time I started getting off this med until now, I still have not gone astray & taken anymore pills. There were a couple times that I was tempted because of my knee pain but I handled it in different ways. I haven't decided yet if I'll just go cold turkey from here or if I'll taper down to just 1/2 pill a day. A huge part of me just wants to get this over with. I'm mentally prepared for it & I seriously doubt the w/d's will be nearly as bad as when I 1st started. I'll figure that out when the time comes & I'm thinking it will be the weekend after Labor Day. And I have the "ammo" to quit. Then I will still have almost 2 full prescriptions left. That will be a 1st. Once I fully get over this w/d process I will use these meds sparingly & only when absolutely necessary. I sure as hell won't go down this road again. It's been such a miserable experience getting off this stuff. Anyway, I've done this completely on my own & it's something I'm definitely proud of. I hope I'll be able to help someone else get off Tramadol one day. Have a great Monday!
    ButterfliiesFLA likes this.

I am proud to say that I am finally free from the daily hustle & bustle of the Tramadol train. I stayed strong & continued my journey & succeeded. I have absolutely no intentions of going down that road again. I'm even at the point that I can take 1 if I absolutely need it & not have w/d symptoms. I still even have a bit more than a full prescription left. In just recent times I would almost or completely run out before my prescription was due. I've been holding onto this last prescription for a month now. Still, every now & then I experience some mild anxiety & lethargy but it's manageable. I even have 2 prescriptions of Xanax saved up. I sure as hell wasnt taking that road to hell. For anyone trying to get off of Tramadol, it is attainable. It's not easy, to say the least, but it can be done. My knee pain has returned but I'm dealing with it instead of hiding behind it. I really hope I can help someone get through this. I did it alone for the most part, and with a little help from my primary care doc. You just have to stay strong & stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can.
    ButterfliiesFLA likes this.

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

I am proud to say that I am finally free from the daily hustle & bustle of the Tramadol train. I stayed strong & continued my journey & succeeded. I have absolutely no intentions of going down that road again. I'm even at the point that I can take 1 if I absolutely need it & not have w/d symptoms. I still even have a bit more than a full prescription left. In just recent times I would almost or completely run out before my prescription was due. I've been holding onto this last prescription for a month now. Still, every now & then I exnitely not an eaperience some mild anxiety & lethargy but it's manageable. I even have 2 prescriptions of Xanax saved up. I sure as hell wasnt taking that road to hell. For anyone trying to get off of Tramadol, it is attainable. It's not easy, to say the least, but it can be done. My knee pain has returned but I'm dealing with it instead of hiding behind it. I really hope I can help someone get through this. I did it alone for the most part, and with a little help from my primary care doc. You just have to stay strong & stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can.

Congratulations!

Well done on getting off the Tramadol. Really, congratulations on a job well done. Definitely not an easy thing to do. I was reading your post and thought hooray sm did it! Then i read where you said you are ...."at the point that I can take 1 if I absolutely need it".... and I thought to myself, on no, big mistake. Then you mentioned having a full prescription left and 2 prescriptions of Xanax saves. Yikes! To be perfectly honest, that scared me silly.

Please understand I mean no judgement, but I really believe you're making a big mistake having those drugs around when you worked so hard to get off them. I wouldn't want them in sight if I were newly clean I know that. Self control is admirable, but the lure of those drugs can be so strong they'll pull you in when you least expect it to happen. Been there, done that. When your pain gets out of control, or you have some rough life issues pop up it's way to easy to reach for the bottle of pills to help ease you through it. You'll always know in the back of your mind they're there and waiting.

I really hope you'll get rid off everything you have left so the temptation will be removed.

Again, congrats on your clean time!

Randy
    Lvg nghtmare and Autumnhopes like this.