Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ricky71
  • 1 Post By evildone
  • 1 Post By Chris-s
  • 1 Post By Mumof6
My codeine withdrawal (day 1)
    Chris-s is offline New Member

Default My codeine withdrawal (day 1)

Hello all finally signed up an account. This forum has been great inspiration to get off codeine.
    I've been taking 200mg codeine daily for the last 3 years or so.
    I'm 34 male and I work full time

It has gotten to the point that pharmacys are refusing to sell the otc drugs to me because they record your details now
    So I planned ahead , booked a week off and slowly tapered down all last week

I'm currently on day one without any codeine . Got multi vitamins, plenty of food in the house , trusty Xbox
    And that's it. Can always run up to the doctor to get some Valium if required but I can easily get addicted to that too.
    I feel very average . Bit of back and leg pain and my teeth are hurting pretty bad. Seem to be smoking a lot more ciggies than usual and wondering what else I'm in for

Surely it gets worse from here

I'll update it tomorrow (or if I can't sleep late tonight )
    I know once I get through it I'll never have to experience it again, but having to go back to work in 7 days is already stressing me out.
    It's not the kind of job I can be suffering withdrawals for

Thanks for listening
    Chris
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-27-2016 at 10:37 PM.

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris-s View Post
    Hello all finally signed up an account. This forum has been great inspiration to get off codeine.
    I've been taking 200mg codeine daily for the last 3 years or so.
    I'm 34 male and I work full time

It has gotten to the point that pharmacys are refusing to sell the otc drugs to me because they record your details now
    So I planned ahead , booked a week off and slowly tapered down all last week

I'm currently on day one without any codeine . Got multi vitamins, plenty of food in the house , trusty Xbox
    And that's it. Can always run up to the doctor to get some Valium if required but I can easily get addicted to that too.
    I feel very average . Bit of back and leg pain and my teeth are hurting pretty bad. Seem to be smoking a lot more ciggies than usual and wondering what else I'm in for

Surely it gets worse from here

I'll update it tomorrow (or if I can't sleep late tonight )
    I know once I get through it I'll never have to experience it again, but having to go back to work in 7 days is already stressing me out.
    It's not the kind of job I can be suffering withdrawals for

Thanks for listening
    Chris
    Welcome to the forum Chris! You tapered pretty fast, from 200mg/day to nothing in a week? Hopefully it won't be too bad for you, just be thankful it was 200mg of codeine and not 200mg of oxy! For most cold turkey opiate detox the worst of the withdrawals will be over by day five or so? Withdrawal symptoms should peak by day 3 into day 4? Drink plenty of water to help flush your system, a good multivitamin, B6 and Magnesium Citrate will help. Stay away from the benzos! You'll get through this and you'll be just fine I'm betting! Keep us posted on what's going on? Best of luck to you! Be well... God bless us all!
    Ming23 likes this.

evildone is offline Member

Research imodium and opiate withdrawls. I promise youll be happy you did. This is a well known trick to get rid of wds
    hopefulandtrying likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by evildone View Post
    Research imodium and opiate withdrawls. I promise youll be happy you did. This is a well known trick to get rid of wds
    Just went and got some Imodium . Glad I took the week off as I've had some of the worst stomach cramps I've ever experienced this morning and a general Fluey feeling with aches and pains everywhere .
    Got some sleeping tablets (just 3) just incase . It's weird but I already am starting to feel more alert and less in a daze than I was when taking codeine
    Ming23 likes this.

Ming23 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Chris
    Proud if you for deciding to quit. Check out Catrina's thread. She quit pills cold turkey and like Ricky said, Catrina says it's about 5 days of flu-like symptoms. Then done!
    You're well-prepared. In a week you'll be so grateful that you did this! And you can do this!
    Determination will get you through the tough spots.
    Just a week to change everything! You will not regret your choice!
    Look up Catrina's thread for inspiration!
    Hang in there! Post when u can...

Day 4-
    I know it's meant to be the worst day but I felt fantastic this morning . Bounced out of bed, took the dog for a walk.
    Went to the shops and started feeling a bit Fluey and it feels like my eyes are popping out of my head . Huge pupils!!
    But as far as physical symptoms go no stomach pains, finally got some of my appetite back and I'm hoping the worst of it is over!
    Time will only tell but my spirits are high

Select78 is offline Junior Member

I'm happy to read this. I'm going to go ct tomorrow. I took 160mg yesterday and only 70 today. I'm praying for great results like yours. I'm taking 5 days off from work and am praying for the best.

Tucker63 is offline Banned

Hi Chris. I'm just curious...you stated you were taking 200mg if codeine a day and that it was OTC? What form of drug was this codeine in? Tylenol #1? If it is, how many a day were you taking? Good job on cutting it out.

I'm in Australia , so Panadeine extra which is 15mg codeine 500 paracetamol . Taking anywhere from 12tablets upwards .
    The paracetamol alone is dangerous enough at those doses, my poor liver

Good luck select78. I took a week off and I feel great today . Have been out and about after spending most of the week at home feeling sorry for myself .

Chris: Yikes! That's a lot of acetaminophen. That's likely why the pharmacy is refusing selling it to you; or one of the reasons anyways. I've been there though. I have taken up to 4500 mg of acetaminophen in a day; not every day but at times. Not good. I did a slow taper and finally just said that's it. Hasn't been easy but in hoping it will get better. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Continuing on my taper, it's nearly noon here, and I've only had 10mg versus 80mg like normal. I'm feeling good so far.

The last time I quit using them, four years ago, I was miserable but I had used them for two years. I'm wondering if this time it's easier because I only used for 4 months.

Anyways. I plan on limiting myself to 40mg today and then 30 on Saturday and finally going completely off on Tuesday.

Hi Select. Good on you. What a feeling it is to not have something have complete control over you. I too am done to very little. 15 mgs of codeine for the last few days; just a couple in the morning. Come Tuesday, you can say 'yay, I did it'. I hope things continue to go well.

Good luck to you too Tucker. It's a mess but I'm feeling great. I won't allow myself to be beaten this time. No way.

How are you doing Chris?

Day 5 and I feel great. Seems all the symptoms were in the first few days for me . I still crave them however I haven't felt this fresh in a long long time . Really glad I decided to do this

Day 5 and I feel great. Seems all the symptoms were in the first few days for me . I still crave them however I haven't felt this fresh in a long long time . Really glad I decided to do this
    Good for you Chris, keep it up! The cravings will come and go for a while, fight through them! You don't want to go through this again do ya? Remember this saying "One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough"!!! It will keep getting better and better as more time passes! Great job, be proud of yourself! Take care... God bless us all!

Glad to hear it! Keep up the great work.

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on day 5! For some reason it's a milestone in my head worthy of much praise!!

Really appreciate all the support . Day 6 and the cravings are high. Probably because I'm bored and don't know what to do with myself . It's back to work tomorrow which I'm actually looking forward to . My mind feels fresh , no WD symptoms . Slept like a baby last night and went for a half hearted jog with the dog this morning to get the endorphins up . Have lost a lot of friends along the way, why hang out with friends when I can zone out with codeine and watch Netflix !! Might have to look at making some new mates now.
    So glad I decided to do this , and very proud of myself for sticking to it! I won't be going back. I've told my doctor to never prescribe me any opiate derived painkillers in the future .

Thanks again for all the support And advice , really appreciate the kindness of strangers

Smilingstorm is offline Senior Member

Just checking in!!

Hello :-) Up to day 8. Day 7 I had the worst pain in my legs all day, however could be a mixture of going back to work and some restless leg syndrome . This morning legs are still a bit sore . Haven't even thought about codeine in a few days . My mood has settled and I'm in a good head space . Overall feeling thankful that I came across these forums and read other people's efforts with it . Feeling good :-) looks like I've won this battle !!! Thanks so much for all the support and advice .

Mumof6 is offline New Member

Aren't the new laws a >>>>>. I wonder how many of us AUS users are all jumping off because of the new protocols
    I'm certainly sure I wouldn't have otherwise, said to say. You did it the smart way, I went on the qld opiate program and now I have to kick subs
    Toby3610 likes this.

Mumof6 is offline New Member

Sad* apparently I can't type

Yeah I'm kinda glad about the new laws now. Well over a month clean now and except for a few sleepless nights I feel fine . Have the constant thought about getting some codeine but I snap out of it quickly . Certainly not missing the huge codeine headaches !!

Thumbs up

Yeah I'm kinda glad about the new laws now. Well over a month clean now and except for a few sleepless nights I feel fine . Have the constant thought about getting some codeine but I snap out of it quickly . Certainly not missing the huge codeine headaches !!
    Good job Chris! Remember - "One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough"...

Stay strong, you'll never have to go through this again! Take care... God bless us all!

hopefulandtrying is offline New Member

1st...im new to this community or forum. I tried to send a 'new post' but have been unsuccessful. This all started because earlier today I was searching for something and stumbled onto your thread from 2010. You were looking for help to kick your addiction to opiates. (And you DID IT!!!! Yay!!!) I couldn't quit reading and was amazed at the positive feedback and support you were able to receive. Especially from oxymom. I found myself literally cheering for you and crossing my fingers that each post would be better than the last. Evildone, THANK YOU for sharing your very private and personal experience. I would love to know how you're doing now. With me being so new to this, I just didn't know another way to reach you besides this. Im sorry. I think you could really help me (And I NEVER ask for help). You're truly an inspritation Evildone and I'm grateful I accidentally stumbled upon your story rather than what I was originally searching for. Thank you - hopefulandtrying