Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes
My story with Oxycontin OP
    The Husband is offline Member

Which abbreviation? Paws is post acute withdrawals. Over 6 months. thanks

So I would say now that I have passed 6 months my sleep is back to normal. I think I had a good bit of depression for a while but the cloud is seeming to have lifted now. Looking back the ball and chain that is opiates I am so glad to be free of that.

I sure hope that I can help just one person that is taking oxy for pain management or just abusing to free themselves from the monster it can be done you just have to commit.

I still have bad pain but I use advil or aleve and alternate every couple months to help with my original injury/condition. Someday's pain wise are better then others but nothing like withdrawing.

203 days doing well

tom27 is offline Member

husband how u doin man day 73 here,took some time and went fishing, just wanted to stop in and say hi and see how you are doin keep fighting man

Tom

That's great your are still winning the War and took some time to go fishing. No doubt the passing of your son's best friend is a huge hurdle but will hopefully make you a stronger person.

I am doing alright I have been having stomach issues which have persisted for a couple weeks so I am going to have to go to my primary Doctor/ same doc who prescribed the pain medications which always gives me anxiety, well any doctor gives me anxiety I don't know why...

I think its probably because I have been prescribed so many different medications that always seem to have bad side effects for me. I think I have undiagnosed Chron's or IBS from what I have read online.

Have a good week Tom27.

232 days going strong getting of Oxy c/t can be done just have to want it bad enough.

294 days and going strong

DaminiWalker is offline Member

The Husband,
    You are amazing! I am struggling coming off just hydros. What you have done. ..thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks. Everyones recovery is different praying you beat the demon opiate

300 days and the PAWS are back... Praying this is the last time. RLS, crawlers & nausea

Feeling fine again can't believe I still get post acute withdrawals :/

Sept. 4th will make one year off OxyContin. To all those reading it can be done wether you choose to taper or C/T really depends what's best for you just please don't go on to opiate matience ex. Methadone or Suboxone unless your history shows you will go back to opiates. I went from high fentyln to OxyContin tapered from 240mg daily down to 80mg daily before I C/t it was a battle to put it mildly but very nice to be free of opiates. god bless whoever is in the struggle.
    Comeback Kid likes this.

355 days cannot believe tomorrow is 1yr!
    melindau likes this.

1 year to the day, and the entire family has the flu looks like we will have to wait to go out to celebrate but to those reading who are struggling to stay well or fighting to quit. The fight get easier as time goes on but the struggle gets harder and harder. Choose wisely...

alexnt is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Husband View Post
    355 days cannot believe tomorrow is 1yr!
    Did they change the calendar? I thought there were 365 not 355 days in a year. I am kidding you of course as I know it was a typo error. Congrats to you on 1 year of being clean. Hope you and the family get over the flu real quick and are able to go out and celebrate your 1 year soon.

Alex

Thanks Yeah my bad. Doesn't feel like it's been a year but so glad to be off the opiates and turning over a new leaf in my life.

michelle139 is offline New Member

The husband, its amazing what you have done! I cant belive you still get PAWS, thats what im scared of with subutex taking ao long to get off of!
    The Husband likes this.

Yeah getting Paws really sucks but I was on the stuff for a little over a decade so I hear it's pretty normal... It's gotten much better as time has gone by and when they wave passes I feel great for 21-30 days then I will get PAWS for a couple days I just take it as my receptors trying to reset and heal and a reminder of not wanting to go back to day 1-5.

NeedHelpInNY is offline Junior Member

Hi Husband I have read your story -- I am taking oxycodone 30mg pills (200mg a day). I should say over the last 2.5 days I have gotten down to ~200mg from 400mg (a 30 every 2 hours and snorting them). I made my own thread, but I wonder if you any advice for me?

Should I try to do this on my own? I don't think I can get to 80mg. I don't snort them anymore and I think my body is now adjusting since it's been 2.5 days since I last snorted any. Would suboxone be a good path with how heavy my use is?
    The Husband likes this.

I personally have c/t from 120mg oxycodone (blue roxi) and the w/d was over withing 5 days. Have you tried to quit before and you actually really wanted to?

I ask not to judge but to get an understanding. If I was in your position I would try to taper below 100mg daily and if you feel its not possible I would get stable on 200mg daily and just go c/t. The reason I would stay away from suboxone is because it is a very powerful opiate that has a really long half life it can literally take 72 hours from your last sub dose to start to w/d. So this means when you take it daily it starts to build up in your system overtime and to properly be inducted on subs you need to wait 2-3 days of no oxy to start the subs safely and not going into immediate w/d. Then you take into consideration that sub w/d is going to be much longer then oxy because one has a 6hr half life and the other a 72hr half life. Basically go through 2-3 days of w/d just to take another opiate and then have to w/d from that for another 7 - 30 days? I get people are scared and the doctors call sub a miracle drug but its really not just another opiate that they really don't understand its strength or its w/d's I mean the people on these boards had to come up with a taper plan just to get off the stuff... I see it this way if you know you won't stop using and will relapse then its probably the right choice but until you can honestly say you given everything you have trying to quit and failed then stay far away from it. Methadone w/d or Oxy? Subs w/d or Oxy? I have never taken sub or meth but I know from people I know that if they could do it over again and go through 5-7 days w/d from heavy oxy use or go through methadone w/d or suboxone w/d at low dose that would have rather gone with the oxy w/d because one is a week of feeling absolutely miserable or go through a month of w/d which most say just flat wears them out so they start using again.

Forgot to mention for tapering oxy's if you choose to. Start by removing a 1/4 of a pill every 2-3 days. Spread out the doses meaning if your used to 30mg every 2 hours try to get to dosing ever 4 hours I know you will start w/d waiting that long but the point is to get your brain used to longer durations between doses and the target should be to get to 3 blues per day before you c/t.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-22-2014 at 03:06 PM.
    NeedHelpInNY likes this.

NeedHelpInNY is offline Junior Member

Thank you very much for responding to me. I have not tried quitting before -- this is my first and hopefully only attempt. I am just afraid of the intense withdrawal because of how intense my symptoms were just from going from snorting to tapering to 200mg. I think I'm already at 1 pill every 4 hours. I took 1.5 pills at 1pm today and was able to wait until 7pm to take another. Maybe that is because I took an extra half, but tomorrow I won't take a dose higher than a full pill.

I understand subs halflife is wayyy longer than oxycodone. The consultant at CVS said that because the halflife was longer, the withdrawal was way less intense. I think I can handle feeling "out of it" for a while. What I am scared of is my skin crawling, hot/cold flashes with pain, vomiting, etc. I got those just with my first day of tapering down. Thankfully I didn't get any of those today -- just an upset stomach and a couple trips to use the bathroom. I can deal with a bad stomach.

Did you use Xanax or anything like that during your withdrawal? I see that it's on the Thomas Recipe if you can get it -- I can see how railing (snorting) or orally taking one can help mentally relax and also with sleep.

If you can taper the oxy you won't have intense w/d. If you go onto subs at the dose your on you will have to reach a COWS score of 26 to take suboxone which means you will be in the worst of the w/d before you can even start taking the sub which is seems pointless to me because why go through 2-3 days of HEAVY w/d just to start another opiate that you will have to taper and w/d from anyways when you could wait 2-3 more days and just be done with the w/d's and opiates.

This is just my opinion you should choose what works for you but if you look at going onto sub's don't listen to the doctors or pharmacist about it talk to people on these boards about it. Doctors dose patients way to high and most don't know how to even taper a patient off... All I know is I have read all over these forums and around the internet and over half the people on sub's wish they never started.

Don't get me wrong sub's work just seems to be only necessary if the patient cannot stop using and the presence of naloxane (sp) is needed to keep the use of other opiates out of their system with the deterrent being you be immediatly dope sick.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12