Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
My story with Oxycontin OP
    The Husband is offline Member

Default My story with Oxycontin OP

Let me start this off by saying by age 17 i had full reconstructive surgery of my shoulder and by 21 two more surgeries and more pain meds. So I started of with tylox 5mg oxy took those for 6months in high school as prescribed. Got off didin't notice a thing. Then around 20 I started taking 30mg oxy IR and 15mg Hydrocodone/coughstuff specially made for me... Took as prescribed until at 24 I decided with my father in his death bed im done jumped off at 100+mg oxycodone plus 30-50mg hydrocodone meet the devil went through it heavy came out the other side stayed off the pain meds until I was 26 diagnosed with CRPS nerve bundle was shot and none of the 3 orthopedic docs would touch it.... so feeling trapped by the pain back on perc 10's then oxy 20's and so on till I was on oxy 40's always took as prescribed for the last 5 years. I wanted to get off before my son was born which was 2 years ago and last year I knew I needed to try and get off if for nothing else to just get my tolerence down as I felt normal from taking my dose and always felt sick w/d withing 8hours... So I like the brain's I am didn't plan a taper or anything with what I had already know about w/d so 40mg on 9/4/13 was my last pill and just went cold turkey from 80mg a day hoping the pain of withdrawls would remind me why being in chronic pain was better then this!

So now day 8 I finally feel the acute w/d passing and my GOD Oxycontin OP withdrawls SUCK!!!! Oxycodone, hydrocodone, don't come close to taking as long to clear out of your system maybe 3-5 days I didn't even get the expolsive bathroom experience to day 4/5 from the damn oxyCLEAN OP! LMAO it's funny now but hey sometimes you have to laugh at yourself right?

Anyways opiate addiction or dependency is no fun and could be compared to a living hell on earth. Are you taking the drug? Or is the drug taking you?

Day 9 still having small hot cold flashes, RLS in the evening & Pins and needles but each day since day 7 I feel better. Also my original injury feels like my entire arm from shoulder down is on fire but i think that's CRPS :-( oh well. Pain is better then being dependent to opiates...

Day 10 w/d are basically gone saw my doctor yesterday and he had no idea what I had done. He offered more pain meds i said no more opiates :-). He offer 10 mg valium I said no to long acting stuff so He prescribed me temazepam 30 mg for help sleeping which I don't want to take as the are capsules so I can taper these benzos and aparently stronger then 10mg valium should have done my research before I went in which stupid me I could have broken in half... oh well anyways I am doing much better being more attentive to my wife and son. I apparently look normal again lol whatever that means probably no zombish. I mean I can't sleep at night still got major pain from my original injury reason I took the meds but I feel that going through this ordeal that pain medication should only be used short term for surgeries and or major injuries.

If you are in chronic pain your brain will just adapt to the medicine dose and eventual after enough time will no longer do anything for pain and just keep you from getting sick.

I would recommend the use of medical cannabis for the control of chronic pain and using a high CBD strain can do wonders. Remember if you don't like to smoke make cannabutter and make cookies or brownies with it if you don't live in a mmj state that you can buy them. Looking back at my history with opiates everytime I turned to opiates was because either my living condition didn't allow me to grow mmj or I didn't have a current adaquate supply to manage my CRPS. Feels like your entire arm got dipped in hot bacon grease and any pressure changes or fan blowing on the skin makes it worse... But again I have been told by orthopedic surgens, pain managment doctors that I should get a desk job when I was 17, no one will touch my shoulder, supposedly CRPS can progress to where its so bad you literally can't use the arm essentially becoming disabled. I wasn't diagnoised with CRPS till I was in 2nd stage boarding 3rd and because of my age with the condition they want to do test on me to see how I am able to continue work, Life even without medication because I guess this has never happened. Also note I broke my neck and have a herniated disc in my lumbar and I find that staying active with or without medication is the only way to keep my body from locking up.

Find the inner strength and the body will follow

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

I really think that we should start a thread for chronic pain patients that don't want to be opiate dependent. There are many here. I know nothing about mmj. I do know that it doesn't have or didn't in my time eons ago, that it didn't have the physically addictive properties that opiates have, as far as I know. You were brave to jump from that much Oxy. WOW. All I can say about your pain, is that your brain is used to having the drugs and it wants them because your normal chemical balance has been impeded by the opiates. It's going to be a bit before your natural processes in your brain start regenerating on their own. Yeah staying active is your best bet and will hurry the process of producing natural chemicals in your brain as well. You may find in the long run that your pain lessens some, but man you have some pretty heavy duty injuries for a person so young. I feel for you. Thank you for posting this thread. Other people need to know that it can be done and your attitude is amazing! I am in awe. And I love this line:

"Anyways opiate addiction or dependency is no fun and could be compared to a living hell on earth. Are you taking the drug? Or is the drug taking you?"

Peace,

Iloerose

istrvler is offline Member

I agree I have learned so much here, I would really like to see what strategies are out there for chronic pain. Even though my wife and I are on day 12 and we are not going to use opiates there is no hiding from her knee, hip and back pain and my shoulder and neck pain. Husband we had the same experience at our doctor and did the same just said no, but we are going to have to address our pain somehow. I am hoping to get an exercise program with stretching put together to help, and the doctor want to see us the week after next once as he said all our receptors are reset (he said it will take 3 weeks at least) to talk about a strategy to handle the pain. I guess we won't know what's real pain and what pain our brains are emphasizing to get pills until then. MMJ is not an option for us our state is not an mmj state and I get tested periodically depending on the client I end up working for. As amazing as it is testing positive for the opiated is fine since I have valid scripts but having the other in my system would get me fired. Iloerose I would love to see that thread started but being a rookie here I hesitate to start it although I will keep all posted on what the doc comes up with.
    The Husband likes this.

[deleted - swearing]
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-15-2013 at 02:39 PM.

That sucks the laws don't allow MMJ in your state istrvler it really helps for pain and edibles last so long that you don't need to consume more then once maybe twice a day to be like a CR medication. Smoking is more like short acting opiates but since MMJ is not pharmacutical all strains have different THC/CBD THC=gets you high CBD=pain releif

Good luck to find relief for you and your wife. God bless

If people really want a MMJ non-opiate pain management thread I can defiantly help but don't know where to post iloerose.

quick update on day 13 today 9/17/2013 super stoked to be feeling better every morning. I still can't sleep great and get RLS in the afternoon evenings but I feel like I am at the end of the valley of the shadow of death! Which I can almost be certain there is still going to be that "voice in my head" trying to get me to go back for awhile because knowing what I know now and going through this before and not knowing everything begins to make sense this time around. This anxiety the urges etc. It all a mental battle and I just pray to god when I feel like I need help.

Anyways opiate addiction or dependency is no fun and could be compared to a living hell on earth. Are you taking the drug? Or is the drug taking you?

Those who say they are dependent and not addicted I hate to tell you this "that's the drugs talking" trust me if you go C/T off any amount of Opiate over 40mg hydo that has been taken for more then a couple months you will w/d and trust me once your head has been clear long enough you will agree it was the opiates talking saying your were not addicted because lets face it. Taken as directed or not the brain will begin to crave the pills you can deny and mask it but the reality is you will eventually become a "clock watcher" waiting for your next dose... This is where the line of dependent / addiction blurs into one because I find habit or routine is the root of all evil/addiction.

Stop lying to yourself if you think Opiates are the long term answer to your problems they are just a band aid that while yes has temporary benefits that can be very helpful eventually the band aid needs to be changed or removed so you are just delaying what is written in stone and this is going to be much harder mentally and physically then any pain and person could endure.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 09-17-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    istrvler likes this.

So probably won't post again for awhile as today is day 14 of a c/t oxycontin 80mg daily use for past 3 yrs with slightly less the 4 yrs before that. I have gone through c/t w/d's before but was actually naive I passed it off as Flu / depression from my Dad being terminally ill 1st time round not knowing anything about opiates :-(.

Making this time bring all kinds of memories and experiences back (yikes) Anyways I am doing much better now 2 weeks removed. Actually slept last night solid 5 hrs straight! Did a lot of yard work though so that might have been part of the reason. Just know that those who are teetering on the edge of getting off opiates I have a CP condition this is a nerve/joint issue not operable and I mange with just advil and MMJ. Yes i have bad pain at times but it passes and being free of opiates has changed me for the better my wife said she can see it in my face/eyes. My kid even wants my attention more now :-) Will update 1st week of October (1 month).

C/T may not be for you but you can still taper down and do many things to help you get off the opiates. Good luck and may God be with you!

I am sleeping again! Listen to "Talkin' 2 myself" Eminem for anyone going through w/d's or coming out the other side even if you are on the fence just do it. "motivation"

I was gonna wait for a month but today day 26 felt fitting.

I will no longer be coming on these boards as I don't want to start another time consuming "addiction". I appreciate all that have helped and or posted before to help others. I may stop by just to see how others are doing...

Believe in yourself and don't let anyone tell you otherwise you can have a better life without any pills. Everyone has struggles but what defines a person is not the lows or the highs in life but how they handle themselves in a ruff situation that's what show a persons true character.

So for anyone else that c/t off oxycontin I am now on day 60 PAWS are persistent daily but some are worse then others. For me day 48-50 felt like day 7-10 again but pain management doctors are aware of this phenomenon and for what ever reason the new formula takes 90 days to clear and brain to reset supposedly...

melindau is offline Member

I found you!!! Good Job!!! I was taking OC and percs or vics what ever I could get my hands on!!! I was so sick tho when I quit the OC I had to taper down with the Vic's
    2 moths clean YEAH for you!!!!
    The Husband likes this.

Thanks, yeah I think I was just ready since Oxycontin only gave me 8-9 hours of pain relief and I really wanted to evaluate my pain with nothing. I knew for sure when I would wake up in the middle of the night soaked my shirt and the bed it had to be the pain meds because I couldn't sleep until I took one the next morning and then bam right to sleep for a couple hours. (I still sweet like a mad man starting to think its my nerve pain causing it) So I was like w/d those only happen to addicts boy was I wrong but I got it over with faster so yeah... Thats my story haha the doc was trying to tell my I was probably having w/d and I would always say no and act like I knew what that was thank god I didn't take more meds or ask for more... Atleast I now know that I wasn't dying from some illness seeing as I was having mild w/d twice daily and would always wake up "behind the 8-ball" never realizing it was a side effect from the medication since I was taught as a child don't go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary... I just wrote it off as my pain was really bad when the meds wore off and don't mention it to the doctor again since I come from a long line of family addiction and I am commonly judged just by how I look and act... Funny because anyone who really knows me knows while I may be predisposed I also recognize / have dealt with addicts all of my life and even if tempted I will not abuse substances because I don't want to be "that guy" "that dad" "that husband" Hell I was prescribed roxicodone 30mg 100 count and hydrocodone 15mg 100 count mixed with cough medicine I believe and was told take 3 blue a day and 3 green/whites a day for breakthru pain. Haha that lasted all of a couple days when I found 45-60mg of roxi was enough (when I was 17)... but believe me when I say I was mentally afraid of stopping not because of w/d but because I built the pain up in my mind to be sooo bad... which its still bad I would say more shoulder actually never hurt anymore or anyless during w/d just made it less noticable while everything on my body flared up.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-04-2013 at 06:10 PM.

Oh and I would like to note to all doctors on here that for me personally no other pain medicine was nearly as effective. Morphine what a joke, Norco works much better but yeah as far as real pain relief goes Oxy and Fentalyn sp. best by a long shot.

Still going strong 151 days off Oxy I wish i could explain how much better I feel being free of Doctors and opiates... but its one of those things you have to experience to appreciate. I still have chronic pain and some days I can't do much but man two words to live by "NEVER AGAIN" was far worse experience then broken neck, back, femur I mean literally no joke!
    discopop likes this.

Glad to hear you are still going strong, 151 days jeez I remember when we were going through the first weeks of this, seems like such a long time ago. Keep on staying strong good to see you post!

Istrvler should be 6 months soon enough. What's up with quitting? Hope he is doing better have had him in my prayers.

discopop is offline New Member

"Anyways opiate addiction or dependency is no fun and could be compared to a living hell on earth."

The Husband I have read your stories and many of your posts and I thank you to replying to some of mine... you are such an inspiration, wow nearly 6 months that is so amazing!! I aspire for that too, man.

I am sorry to hear that you are still in physical pain. But you still say strong man, that's so awesome!! Nothing compares to the emotional and mental pain of the opiates beast, that's for sure.

I am on day 8, still in withdrawals, but just feel so happy to be finally off the stuff!!!

Disco
    "Believe" to have faith, confidence and trust.

That's great Disco your at 8 days any day you should slowly start feeling better I can remember around day 10 I really started feeling better and being able to actually eat and exercise

Husband: Its the community here that keeps me coming back. People like you that stuck with me through the whining, complaining, venting and mistakes. Cool thing is been clean since beginning of September don't count days anymore and guess that is a victory in itself. As far as physical pain most if not all is handled by OTC, following a physical therapy regiment and eventually will go for the additional surgeries. In truth I would rather deal with a little discomfort that go through surgery that could put me back on the road to destruction.

Haven't talked to Quitting since last week, he was adjusting to being home after a long hospital stay but sounded good. Stay strong!

I come back to see if you or quitting post istrvler I think I hit 6 months sept 4 was the day, now March 5th. Also when ever my original injury starts barking and screaming I like to re-read the living nightmare that is opiates

Wow, it hurts me to think the dr's would give such a young guy so much pain meds. I think of my kids going through this and it kills me.

congrats on clean time. that's great.

I see you mentioned about the paws and at 3 months your brain kind of is healed. I'm curious do you believe this at this point? Do you think you feel as good as you did before the opiates at this point?

tom27 is offline Member

hey guys just wanted to jump in and say hi,day 49 here and couldn't of done it without this place and the people here,I got my truck back Friday "what a nightmare " it kills me that the money I had to pay I could of bought a car for my sons 16th birtday that was Monday,just staying extremely busy with work and family ,still a battle though take care guys.

Tom

Sub I feel 3 months I noticed a big change in my brain and have had some paws between then and now even as recently as a few days ago. I would put it this way being on opiate for almost half my life and acquiring numerous injuries since my original shoulder surgery hard to say. I will say that I am way more active now and sure I get real bad pain somedays and others it just hurts bad but pain sure beats full on withdraws or even minor WD from the past two years of switch doc being put on fentlyn then off and tapering my Oxy dose to quickly to be able to see my family doctor not the quack pm who put me on the patch and eventually just goin c/t Yeah it's still sorts scattered in my brain and after re reading my post when I was 17 it was 5 mg Oxy not 30mg those came a bit later
    Last edited by Anonymous; 03-05-2014 at 08:38 PM.

That's great Tom you got your truck back. I am sure your boy would enjoy a car at 16 but I would make him put some money into it that he worked for so he will be more incline to take better care I personally would match him 50/50 or something like that when you can afford obviously. Hope to see you keep chugging away and posting I don't really like to post it's really depressing to take time to write someone and genuinely care and see someone want to quit on these forums get a bunch of support and fall into repeater mode... I mean their is no try its "do" or "do not"

tom27 is offline Member

ya I know what you mean,I put alot of time posting to others that just disappeared after a few days, its nice to talk with others that are actually doing this, I look back a few weeks ago and I was on this place almost all day,now I feel like I almost have my life back now,working long hours and spending quality time with the family. hopefully going fishing Sunday,need more fish for the fish tank, anyways glad to see your doing good,50 days today,getting hard to jeep track of clean days,but thats a good problem to have.

keep fighting

Tom

Tom honestly you and people who knuckled up and quit are what keeps me coming back. I really wish all that try success but it sure seems some people come to justify use and or seek advice to make it till next script and when I see people keep using who have kids it literally tears me up inside. Good work on 50 days I don't know if you are depressed or having paws but for me I would have mood swings and waves of paws around bench mark days looking forward to 200 days I don't count anymore but I go calander count from time to time to typically only when I get paws as I don't ever want to forget this journey fells like lord of the rings at this point... It's a quest!

jakevaughn31 is offline New Member

What do some of these abbrevations mean? How long have you been opiate free? Congratulations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast