Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireshadow190
My Tramadol story
    Fireshadow190 is offline Junior Member

Default My Tramadol story

I'm on Day 3 of being Tramadol free. I know the acute withdrawal symptoms for me can last anywhere from 3 days to a week and a half. The post acute symptoms (depression and general weird "when will I ever feel normal again symptoms") seemed to still be lingering a bit after two months, however, I was sleeping well and doing great. I still feel like I'm in a fog. I sleep for about 1-3 hours at a time throughout the night and I battle the restless legs, hot and cold sweats, tingling feelings, and skin crawling feeling most everyone else does. As you know, IT SUCKS! But it's also TEMPORARY!. I drink water like you wouldn't believe, exercise, and stay active (near a toilet though) and in the sunshine. I was taking 8-50mg pills between 9-10am, then between 4 and 6 again after lunch, 7 more around 6pm, then between 3-5 right before bed which would be anywhere from 1,100-1,300 mgs per day. I lost around 40 pounds, had no sex drive, and very little appetite. I knew withdrawal symptoms were hell and I was afraid to stop so I just kept abusing. While acknowledging I will always have this evil lurking in my past, I WILL NOT put myself, my wife, nor my child through this again. I haven't had this much resolve in the past.

I have been taking Tramadol off and on for over 3 years now and this past Friday was my last time taking them. I had previously withdrew from them on several occasions when a script would run out or a delivery wasn't made. This last round for Tramadol and myself began back in January of 2014, approximately 1 month before my first child was born and after 2 months of being clean.

I was originally prescribed Tramadol due to a shoulder impingement and taking Vicodin makes me sick. Tramadol helped my shoulder, however, it wasn't very long before, as you yourself have noticed, it seemed to "help in other areas. I liked the feeling. I liked how much I was able to get done and how "happy" it made me and how focused I felt. I would go to bed and sleep like a rock yet still wake up with even more energy.

I was in excellent health then anyway. I just finished a college baseball career, was (and still am) a firefighter, and generally considered myself in peak physical condition. I slept fine, woke up fine, and already had a pretty intense disposition for focus. Yet I pushed God aside, and walked blindly into a world where I felt that taking pills that made me feel super human were somehow, magically, never going to bite me in the butt. And they did and it's my fault.

I grew up in a happy home, made good grades, had lots of friends, and had the best childhood a boy could have. I have a well paying job and great benefits and a gorgeous wife (sucker) to boot. Yet I was still tricked. Then after being tricked initially, I just started the cycle of lying and justifying that we all do to ourselves. Now, I still work for the Fire Department but I also do legislative work and I am the Mayor of a City. My wife stays at home to raise our beautiful son and a new day is dawning in this life. It's exciting and I'm looking forward to sharing my progress with you!

Feel free to follow my progress and ask questions. I will be using this as my personal diary through this journey if my schedule allows it. We can do it??? No. WE WILL DO IT!!!! God Bless you!

The struggle for me, as I'm sure it is for most, is the fatigue and restless sore legs. I stay active to keep my mind off of my legs being restless. We can do this! We have punished our bodies and our minds and brains need to heal and healing is tough work and takes time!

Just remember though, the same happy go lucky normal everyday person that you used to be is still there and EVERYDAY you say no, is a step farther away from that hole and farce of a life you were living. KEEP PRESSING ON! PRAY PRAY PRAY and find the joy in the simple things in life!

For me, I'm out of bed and walking my neighborhood just as the sun is rising, so I take a picture of the beautiful sun rises I see. This way, I can go back and look at pictures that make me smile and know that I was happy and clean when I took this picture. I do that with family, friends, kids, and even work! It helps me. It reminds me that I can have fun and smile without Tramadol.

silverlining1 is offline Senior Member

Hey, Fireshadow,

I've been helping a friend withdrawing from opiates. The restless leg thing is definitely the worst symptom when you have to work and need sleep, etc.

I got her some Hyland's Leg Cramps pill yesterday from the health food store. You put 2-3 pills under your tongue as needed. They are homeopathic, so no drugs......and it contains a natural substitute for quinine, which some swear by to help with restless legs.

She did sleep better last night, and did feel a difference.

Also, was talking to another person and she uses the Propel powder mixed in water before she goes to bed.....she claims it helps tremendously.

And last year, I was going through the same thing. Never in a million years would I have thought I would be addicted to anything.....mine was oxycontin. Sooooo......you are definitely right.....that person you used to be is still there......God bless you! I've been out of that world for over a year

That's great to hear you are supporting your friend. Support is HUGE as you already know. I feel blessed that I can take time away from the Fire department as needed and I can work on City issues from my home office. My wife has been extremely supportive. How do you repay these people back other than proving that their efforts weren't in vain?...

Congrats on your sobriety, that is completely uplifting to read! In a year I will be there also because I'm entirely stronger than this and will not lose. Have your friend check in if she wants, I'd love to encourage and cheer her on also!

I'm on day 5 of being Tramadol free. I still have mood swings but I'm noticing the ups are a little more "up" everyday and the lows seem less low. I still wouldn't classify myself as being through the acute withdrawal stage as I still have a pretty serious case of restless legs, I don't sleep well yet, and I do still battle some lows during the day.

I do know the depression will linger for at least 2 months but won't be near as bad as it is now. I'm feeling strong, encouraged, empowered, and excited that I'm still sprinting in the other direction! I'll update later! Be well!
    silverlining1 likes this.

You're doing great, fireshadow.....

I think we all find the restless legs and sleep to be the longest lasting.

Some say 2 weeks, some - around a month for the sleep. I think mine was around 2 weeks.

Melatonin is a natural sleep aid....that might help.

As for the depression......I prayed earnestly that God would heal my mind. He did.

Hey, Fire.....

You doing okay?

Day 6 and Doing good! I didn't get a chance to get back and update yesterday like I wanted because I got stuck in meetings until about 7pm.

My mind feels like it's healing up well. Sadness and depression have subsided quite a bit, but I still tend to feel as if I'm in a slight fog. I've been dealing with some general muscle soreness but that only really seems to bother me at night and it may be from the insane amount of walking and running I've been doing daily. RLS is still pretty heavy, which I don't remember lingering quite this long in the past. That's fine though because I get the body is still trying to heal from some large doses of this stuff.

To me this is the price to pay and I gladly pay it to get my life back! Everyday is a gift and I'm still excited to come off that stuff!

I'll be in City Hall all day working and there is ALWAYS SOMETHING down there that's more of a pain in the ass than RLS. Thanks for checking in! Have a great day.

End of day 6 and doing good! Achy sore legs today and quite a bit of fatigue. I blame the fatigue on poor sleep still.

I'm going to take some Hylands Restless Legs before bed tonight to see if that helps any. Hopefully since I had a long busy and stressful day at city hall my body will let me get even better sleep tonight. Either way, it's another day down and another step away from the hell I was in, and that's pretty exciting!

I'll report back tomorrow and let you know how sleeping went! Looking forward to a good weekend. Have a good one!!

Oh, man...Fireshadow...

I used to be so involved in politics....these days it just drives me crazy. Seems to be NO common sense when it comes to government.......I hope you make a difference.....there are so many problems in our society......

Good job, Fire......you are hands on and going through w/d's.......hey, run for president.....we need a leader like you, who confronts their problems and takes care of business.......

One week down and kicking ass I might add. Lemme tell you what, the fatigue kinda sucks. Last night I got about 6 hours of sleep, which honestly is about normal for me anyway. I still have a tad of RLS. I have been taking Hylands Restful Legs, but I don't know if it's doing much. My assumption is, it's probably not helping a ton, but why not try it anyway. I'm good on vitamins and hydration.

I still have moments when I realize I'm still in withdrawal and I have a long way to go but I immediately shift my focus back to the task at hand. There's no time for poor me, I just have to bear down and move forward.

>> say the worst physically for me is over. The post acute withdrawal does last a while for me. I go through periods where I feel like I'm not going to have my normal energy or zest for life again, and I miss my Tram. But that is a LIE and as a politician I know lies!. Just gotta man up, take responsibility and know without a shadow of a doubt that this time, the grass is greener on the other side.!
    melindau likes this.

Went to sleep last night without any OTC medication help. Slept well until about 4am when I woke up hot. Then I was off and on after that until about 0730.

Still some muscle aching in my legs but diminished everyday. EAT HEALTHY! Not just for the withdrawal but for yourself! If you're going to beat this you might as well do EVERYTHING right. Keep eating right and exercising even after you feel like you're over the worst symptoms.

I went and talked to my counselor yesterday and he told me to be aware of additional daily stress in my life creeping up on me. He said if you have a busy schedule it's easy to neglect your mental health and awareness and you fall prey to old habits. I have an EXTREMELY busy schedule that can change at a moments notice on top of family obligations (one being a teething child), but I take at least 15 minutes everyday to just focus on breathing and clearing my mind...it works for me.

If you're reading this and struggling, keep the faith friend and know that you're not alone in this. I want to encourage you to gain confidence and an aggressive mindset that YOU WILL BEAT THIS! So will I. We are not our old habits. We are here for a purpose greater than we can imagine. You got this!!! Happy Sunday.

Today is day 11 and have had more energy today that any day recently. It is a GLORIOUS feeling! I'm also started to comprehend the meaning of "freedom" again as I'm not tied to these pills anymore!

There is still a long road to go though but every single day is a victory! Something very simple yet VERY powerful occurred to me yesterday at work. I could actually smell the wood and lead from my pencil. It's such a faint smell that while I was taking tram I could never smell it! I loved it. It's the simple things that make life well. Let the simple things make YOU well also!
    melindau likes this.

Day 14 and kicking it's ass!. Fatigue is hanging around a little and sore legs. I knew the PAWS would last quite a while but hey, it's all good. Better than being chained to an addiction! Another day down!

melindau is offline Member

Hi Fire!
    You are awsum!!! day 14...that is great! I hope you are doing some fun things for yourself...that really helped me with my Fatigue...really happy for you!
    Melinda

Quote Originally Posted by melindau View Post
    Hi Fire!
    You are awsum!!! day 14...that is great! I hope you are doing some fun things for yourself...that really helped me with my Fatigue...really happy for you!
    Melinda
    Thanks Melinda! Today the temperature is nice and that definitely woos the mood quite a but. I'm enjoying the old things again also. Something that hangs around an is tough to get through at times is focus.

I have to read a lot of technical things and sit in on many meetings and it's tougher to focus than before. Part of it could be because I have a difficult time sitting still but it's going GREAT!
    silverlining1 likes this.

freedom2011 is offline New Member

Default Where did you go FireShadow?

Quote Originally Posted by Fireshadow190 View Post
    Thanks Melinda! Today the temperature is nice and that definitely woos the mood quite a but. I'm enjoying the old things again also. Something that hangs around an is tough to get through at times is focus.

I have to read a lot of technical things and sit in on many meetings and it's tougher to focus than before. Part of it could be because I have a difficult time sitting still but it's going GREAT!
    Fireshadow,

Where did you go. That was an abrupt ending, if that's what it was. I can assume one of two things.

1. You started feeling well enough that you didn't need to post on your "My Tramadol Story" anymore, leaving the rest of us hanging and having to fend for ourselves (Don't worry, I've done it too) but if this is the case I wish you would post again to let us know how you're feeling now. This information can be very encouraging and beneficial to others.

Or....

2. You started using again. You just couldn't take life without the "little helper" and you fell back in to your old routine. I hope this is not the case for you. You were doing so well. If it is, it's okay. You hit a speedbump but you can get right back on track again. Often, these things take repeated attempts before they stick.

Either way, let us know what's up with you and your recovery. Like minded individuals want to hear from you.

Thanks.

Hi Freedom!

First let me apologize for not being as active here lately. It's an extremely busy time of year for me so my free time is rather limited and I had to choose to spend it wisely. It was never my intention to neglect or leave anyone hanging.

I'm very proud to say that I am on day 39 free of tramadol though! I'm still on the same routine that I was on from Day 1, walk a lot for exercise and to think, eat well, enjoy the little things, and take it one day at a time, and enjoy my family. I continue to rely on God for daily strength and wisdom.

Small issues I still battle with are some minor sleep disturbances, which I'm under quite a bit of stress so that may be more of a factor than anything. Outside of that, I really feel great and I'm enjoying life. My family and I went on a weekend getaway and we had a blast!

There is light at the end of the tunnel and I STILL won't let my guard down, because I cannot afford to. I control my life, not a substance. If you are following this and you're trying to quit please listen to me, build your inner strength! Keep your inner dialogue positive and encouraging! Share your journey on this site so myself and others can walk with you!

The ONLY WAY I go back in my mind to that dark point in my life is to reach out my hand to help guide another out. But you have to be serious and ready to work, because work you will. But the reward for me brings me to tears when I think about where I was, to where I am.

Thank You Freedom for reminding me that people on here DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE in the lives of others. Tomorrow is Day 40

I should clarify that I don't mean by posting on here I feel I'm using my free time unwisely. What I mean is that, my family and church come first and with the hours I've been working, I don't have opportunity for much else. However, I'll try post more often, they may not be as long though. Blessings!

freedom2011 is offline New Member

Way to go Fireshadow190. Today is day 11 for me and I feel pretty darned good. Yesterday was weird because I had a setback considering the last several days prior I had been doing good as well. Yesterday the RLS kicked in again. My legs were doing their typical itchy, burning, cramped up thing but today it's gone again and I'm feeling great. I have been sleeping really well. I guess I'm lucky with regards to that but I did taper down for a long time. When I finally stopped 11 days ago I was only taking 1/8 of a 50mg tab three times a day. Just slivers really at that point and I think the last two days I really only took two doses each day. That's when I realized it was time to be brave and take the plunge and stop all together. Feels so good to have the hardest part behind me. I think the hardest part is actually deciding you're really going to stop. Everything after that is tough, but not nearly as tough as making that decision to really do it.

Again, congratulations on day 40 Fireshadow. What a great thing. I look forward to that as well.