my wife and I are ready to quit abusing oxycodone
    mikedntrstno1 is offline New Member

Default my wife and I are ready to quit abusing oxycodone

I'm starting day one of cold turkey along with my wife. We use (recreationally) anywhere from 60 to 150mg of oxycodone a day. It's put such a strain on us financially as well as turned us both into different people. We love each other very much and really don't want to see this progress anymore. We're right on the verge of being at the point where it's taking all of our money etc. We haven't lost anything (valuables) yet but I see it coming quickly. Any advice? It's been about 24 hours since my last dose and I feel awful.

Mike,

Looks like you don't trust know one but I'll tell you this, trust us here because we have all been in your shoes, all honesty my day one was just a short 25 days ago with a habit very similar to yours! Congratulations to you both for recognizing the problem before you lost total control. Admission of the addiction is the first step to any recovery and you have made that realization.

Can I ask how long you both have been using. Although everyone is different the process of withdrawal can be somewhat predictable based on dosage and length of use. Look at this way brother, you are just about 1 day clean! Don't sit around and beat yourself up about the past. Focus on the here and now and on getting better. The first 3-5 days are the worst. Drink tons of water, force yourself to get up and move around even a 10 minute walk will help release natural endorphins your body needs. Eat very healthy, green shakes protein shakes. Drink MORE WATER!! Imodium ad, liquid is the best IMO. Get yourself some great multi vitamins. Melatonin for sleep with extra sleepy time tea. You can try unisom but it doesn't work for everyone. Hylands restless legs for the RLS.

I'm not going to lie to you, the next 48 hours will prolly be the worst. Just hang in there. Both you and your wife post, tell us how your feeling and we will listen and reply when we can. Rely on each other. Stay strong together....Check out my thread READY TO END THIS BATTLE, on this forum. YOU CAN DO THIS, you CAN END THE CYCLE, take back your life! Defeat the beast!

Turn the page, walk way!

RJ

We've been using for about 1 year. We aren't stupid people and we've both had this same issue before...just not together and both ended up in jail that's the only way we kicked it. She's a wonderful woman and she's very understanding but I feel like we're both addicts so it's easy to get each other to give in. I really wish I weren't this person and I pray to God that I can stay strong for her. I'm just ready to end this cycle because our lives were great when we were clean but as soon as we started using it was no gradual 1 a day it was dive in feet first and take off. We still enjoy each other etc but we need to grow up and fight as hard as we can to end this. I feel so weak and it's so easy to just say it but the addiction is so hard to say no to. I need help. I can get suboxone (illegally) but I really don't want to do that just to get addicted to that in place of the pills. Any input on this?

Mike,

Have a read on my thread....long story short, I had 17 legally obtained suboxone 8/2 mg strips. My usage was much like your about the same dosage for a little longer than yours. I had full intentions of taking the subs but after 24 hours I wasn't ready and after reading numerous threads about those who chose to go cold turkey at the 48 hour mark made the final decision to not take the subs. A tough choice indeed as they would have made things so much better. The catch, only for the time being. I was going to do it right with the subs and follow the 4 day taper plan but that would have meant likely an additional month with a reliance on opiates to get off opiates. A friend on here told me subs should only be the last option after trying everything else. With subs less is more. With your addiction you would likely only need 1-2 mg to stabilize. I would suggest you stay the course. The fear of the withdrawal feed our addiction tremendously which is certainly the case for me and when I made the decision to stop, it was my decision and I stuck with the plan. It wasn't all that bad and was back to work on day 4 and the rest of that week. It sucks there is no way around it. But 25 days clean sure feels a lot better. I don't want another day 1 again. YOU have to want this.

RJ

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Hi Mike and Welcome!

How are you doing this morning? Hope you're hanging tough. I only have a few minutes right now as I get the kids off to school but I'll check back in to see if you've posted. Subs are a viable choice for you but if you haven't used them yet, hold off until we touch base.

Hope to see you in a couple of hours once my house is quiet and I have some time to write you a real post.

Peace,

Cat

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

P.S. You've got two threads started with the same title. This gets confusing real quick. Please abandon one of them and stick to the other. It will make it a lot easier to find you and to follow you through this.

Peace,

Cat

I know it's stupid and weak but I broke down yesterday and went and got one. I just started a new job and I was feeling like I couldn't even get up and move much less work. I lasted 2 days with none then I broke down I'm not going to get any today though. I'm going to quit this if its the last thing I do

LifeSaver77 is offline Member

Let the relapse be a one-off, don't beat yourself up over it, but just get back on the sober track.

Many addicts relapse (I'm a repeat offender), and it can take a few tries to stick.

You CAN do this.

Just wanted to post and ask for advice. .. I still obviously need to work etc but I have 0 energy or motivation. Is the suboxone good in my case? I can't very well just tell my Co workers (new job at that);what I'm going through or risk losing a really good job due to missing work or lack of motivation to do the job correctly getting me fired. Any thoughts? I really appreciate anyone's input and everyone that's supporting me in this forum. Thank you so very much