Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sterling98
Need advice on cold turkey >> suboxone
    Sterling98 is offline Junior Member

Default Need advice on cold turkey >> suboxone

Hey guys. Been around here before and I'm back. Current habit is 120mg of oxy a day, taken orally. My doc is suggesting I go cold turkey this weekend and then Monday start suboxone. I'm thinking if I can make it to 3 days I should try and push through. What is your advice?
    Catrina likes this.

Catrina is offline Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling98 View Post
    Hey guys. Been around here before and I'm back. Current habit is 120mg of oxy a day, taken orally. My doc is suggesting I go cold turkey this weekend and then Monday start suboxone. I'm thinking if I can make it to 3 days I should try and push through. What is your advice?
    Hi,

I remember you! I'm glad that you came back here. Sorry for the circumstances but really glad you came back for some support and advice.

Absolutely, no question about it...if you can get through 3 days, then the right decision would be to push right on through. You'd be better than half way through the detox. I know that 120 mg/day is nothing to sneeze at but I did it cold turkey more than once and from ore than that. By the time you get through those three days, beginning subs would be just signing on for a longer process that isn't without it own issues. Now is the perfect time to get this done. Subs are a great tool if you've exhausted all your other choices. There is no possible way that with only around 2 more days left to the worst part of detox you should begin sub therapy. Go for it!

Unless you've already done so, get yourself to the store tomorrow and stock up on the Thomas Recipe items (except for the benzos). Begin to take the supplements immediately. Did your doctor offer you some clonidine? If he hasn't, can you ask him for some?

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing. It's your time.

Peace,

Cat

Ricky71 is offline Platinum Member

Question

Sterling - you have a bunch of good info and advice from your last time here? Here's a link to your old thread from earlier this year - https://www.drugs.com/forum/prescrip...elp-70818.html

You made it 7 days last time before you relapsed! Maybe Suboxone is not such a bad idea considering your last try at cold turkey failed? The only reason that I'm even mentioning the Suboxone as an option is because of the relapse/relapses? This is just a thought and my personal opinion considering the situation but I could be way off here? You could use Robert's plan for the Suboxone Therapy/Taper plan. Let us what you want to do? We'll support no matter what you do!

Cat, Kat, Randy, Bette, Thisweekforsure, Ming, etc..., what do you guys think about the Suboxone route for Sterling considering everything?

Keep us updated Sterling? God bless us all!

Randy35 is offline Platinum Member

Hi Sterling,

Sorry to hear about the circumstances, but glad you came back for help and support.

Ok, heres my thoughts on the matter of sub >> no sub. I've heard all the negative and positive comments there is concerning sub therapy and really given this plenty of thought. And of course it comes down to the circumstances and individual choice. Suboxone is not right for everyone, but for others it can be a lifesaver. It is a very powerful opiate and dependance and even addiction can occur.

For some, suboxone is not a popular choice. Careful thought and research should be done before trying it. I've always said, and will always continue to say that sub should be the very last choice of getting clean after first trying all other methods. Try tapering and give CT a shot first. Then try again and again.

Now with that said it's a common fact that most of us have relapsed more times than we care to count. I myself may have set a record with my relapses. I gave the taper method a chance, but just couldn't produce success because I lacked the willpower to stick to a plan when I had opiates staring me in the face begging me to take one. Tapering is tough because you're basically in a state of wd's the entire time. If we have the pills sitting around most of us usally took them. CT produces much more success than tapering, and it's the fastest way to getting clean. No doubt about that. Around a week and you're good to go in most cases. I would try that FIRST before anything else. And if you fail try again. And maybe again and again.

But getting clean is the easier part to this. It's remaining clean that takes the brunt of the work. If we're not 100% committed to a life of sobriety then a relapse is probably going to happen at some point. The BEAST never stops trying to lure us back and we have to never forget that.

So if you are like me and tried all the other ways to get clean and failed every single time then Suboxone could be the best route for you at this point. That has to be your call. If you are sick and tired of trying to taper or going CT and failed MANY times then sub could be right. That was my reason for getting on sub. I knew if I tried to taper or tried CT again I was positive I would fail yet again.

So I made the decision to give subs their chance, but through my research I knew it had to be used the right way. I was well aware of Robert's plan and knew it had produced many success stories of followed closely. I was on subs around 9 months by my choice. I did NOT want another relapse. The Suboxone allowed me to live my life as normal as possible, and get my addictive thoughts and behaviors out of my head. I worked every day during the time I was on subs and all through my taper.

During my time on subs I slowly began to dislike opiates very much. In the end I hated drugs. So for ME sub was everything I had hoped it would be.

Make a plan no matter what it is and stick with it giving it everything you have. NA/AA meetings will also make a HUGE difference in your goal to be clean. Face to face support of other addicts that truly "get it" makes all the difference. I hope you make it this time Sterling.

Randy

Thanks for all the replies! Nice to hear from some familiar people on here again. Where can I find a link to Roberts taper plan? I took my last dose approx 12 hours ago so I'm starting to really feel it. As usual - the biggest problem is the leg and back pain.

Thanks for all the replies! Nice to hear from some familiar people on here again. Where can I find a link to Roberts taper plan? I took my last dose approx 12 hours ago so I'm starting to really feel it. As usual - the biggest problem is the leg and back pain.
    Here's a link to Robert's plan - https://www.drugs.com/forum/suboxone...apy-66109.html

Understand it fully and follow it exactly as outlined! Use the COWS worksheet (there is a link to the COWS in Robert's plan) to score yourself before you do the induction! Do not induct until you score a 26 or higher on the COWS worksheet or you risk going into precipitated withdrawal! Keep us updated? Good luck... God bless us all!

Tiredofbntired is offline New Member

Hey sterling,
    This is my first time responding to a post but I have been reading posts and saying prayers for the ones in need for quitesome time... if any way possible I'm begging you do not take suboxone.... I've been on suboxone for just over a year now and it has been a nightmare...at first it was great I didn't have to buy pills off the street I had a doctor prescribing me subs.... after about two months on subs I started having really sharp pains in my side and always tired, my sex drive was non existing. I went to the doctor and they did test after yest after test and never could find the cause of my pain couldn't find nothing. Then I did some research and it was possibly the suboxone side effects.... don't get me wrong man suboxone was great a first but after a few months man I was hell so I started weaning myself off of it the doctor I went to wasn't very helpful... half the time I seen him on the computer while he was out of town....anyway just wanted to offer my advice and encouragement if you can tough it out and just come off the pills I would never recommend you taking subs unless it was very very short term.... I am tapering myself down every time I asked my doctor he said OK maybe next month and that turned into the next then the next...so I'm tapering myself down and I'm doing ok I've had 1 MG a day for the last 3 days so tomorrow I'm gonna try to go to 1/2 MG its hard but I have got to stop this madness.... I hate to say it but I felt better when I was on pain pills than I do on suboxone... but good luck with what ever route you choose as long as you really want to quite you will...I was on 8mg a day and tapered down to 1 MG a day and will soon be free and no pain in my side no pain anywhere colors look brighter things just seem better.... good luck sterling there is a lot of people on thos site that will help you thru ot all.... they have helped me get to where I'm at now and didn't even know it ...good luck a lot of people are pulling for you ....

I've decided against suboxone. I have 15 40's left. Can someone help me with a quick taper to get off these things?

I've decided against suboxone. I have 15 40's left. Can someone help me with a quick taper to get off these things?
    Sterling - tapering opiates must be done very slowly (15% every 4-5 days) to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

A quick taper will have you in a constant state of withdrawal so either flush your remaining pills and start a cold turkey detox now or finish your pills with your regular dosing schedule then start the detox process? Gather the items in the Thomas Recipe for Opiate Withdrawal minus the benzo, those items will help ease some of the withdrawal symptoms. Stay well hydrated! Keep us updated? Best of luck to you... God bless us all!

I started a new thread but do not know how to delete it. Can someone tell me?

So I'm back again. Hopefully this is the last time I'm writing this out. I'm at 48 hours cold turkey from approx 120-140 oxy a day. In absolute hell, can't sleep, can't eat, my entire body hurts, have no energy, my legs and back are killing me. Anyways my plan is to not go on any maintenance programs and just get off of this clean. Just thought I'd post my story as I go.

I started a new thread but do not know how to delete it. Can someone tell me?

So I'm back again. Hopefully this is the last time I'm writing this out. I'm at 48 hours cold turkey from approx 120-140 oxy a day. In absolute hell, can't sleep, can't eat, my entire body hurts, have no energy, my legs and back are killing me. Anyways my plan is to not go on any maintenance programs and just get off of this clean. Just thought I'd post my story as I go.
    Don't worry about deleting the other thread, just stay here now. You are already 48 hours in which is a great start, by day 5-6 you'll feel much better, push through!

Did you ever get any of the items off of the Thomas Recipe for opiate withdrawal? Hot baths help a lot, take them as often as you want/need? Drink lots of water and Gatorade, stay away from caffeine during your first week of detox.

Stay strong and stay positive. Your mind will make this harder then it really is, keep telling yourself that this is only temporary!

Keep updating your thread as well as reading others, you can do this!

"One pill is too many and a thousand pills will never be enough"!!!

Best of luck to you this time... God bless us all!

I failed at cold turkey. I can't taper. I feel trapped. I think I need to admit that I'm an addict and just go on suboxone. I'm feeling really unsure of it because I've heard horror stories about it. I just want my life back. Anyone have any success with subs? Would it be smart for someone with a habit like mine? I'm down to about 110mg a day now but I can't trust myself to taper.

Toby3610 is offline Member

Hi Sterling98,

I have written and deleted this a couple of times now but I really just wanted to let you know is that your not alone and don't beat yourself up. Even those few days hours and minutes without is good work. Maybe Suboxone is the way to go maybe its not. I am on Suboxone. I am glad I'm on it and I'm glad I don't take pain killers anymore. For me, it was the best thing I have done. Its enabled me to understand who I am, why I was taking pain killers and to get supports around me such as NA, counselling and the time I have cravings from the habit of taking it. Each day is a struggle still not to use for me. The suboxone has helped me to explore me I guess. It hurts at times, I have cried and its all a battle but I know I will have to come of the Subs and face the world with all my emotions. I'm hoping to build up my coping strategies and then come of the subs.For me it is part of a strategy which I hope works. I had tried to stop cold turkey so many times and couldn't For me I didn't have anything in place not to use anymore. It was like my option was to tell my self don't use but all my anxiety, depression, ADD (would have gone underacted)

I hope this helps in someway. Your not the first and won't be the last person to have stop the cold turkey Withdrawals such so much. I'm with you there. Is there something that you could focus on after the withdrawals?? When you make it through will you be ok to be sober? Make the decision that is right for you. I know with me I chose Suboxone and its a longer route but I know its a good one for me (the best I have ever done anyways We each have our own path, our own way of dealing with things even though certain elements maybe the same or similar for us all. You are on a good path.

I wish you all the best. Don't stop trying.