Need big help with methadone... What to do?
    Bodo54 is offline New Member

Default Need big help with methadone... What to do?

Hi everyone. I've been reading this forum for years now and am shocked at the outpouring of support that can be found here. And I am in desperate need of that right now... I just don't know where to turn. This may be a lengthy post and I'm sorry in advance. About 2-3 years ago I got started on hydrocodone. I was having pain in my lower abdomen and the doctors weren't helping me figure out what's wrong. Long story short, the hydrocodone eventually led to problems and my dad hated seeing me in pain... Not only the stomach pain but also the withdrawals when I ran out of pills. Dad went to the clinic and got weekly methadone for his addiction maintenance. So since he had that, occasionally he would give me methadone... Usually just on weekends at first. Again, fast forward, and that turned into daily methadone at about 30 mg for a year or so. Thankfully I had decided to get off and started tapering my way down. I'm at 10mg now and I feel pretty good. But my dad suddenly became ill, went in the er, and just died yesterday. So not only am I devastated about the loss of my father, but I'm also scared to death about having to go through grieving and withdrawals together. So now that you know the mess I'm in, here is the situation. I have about 100mg of methadone left... So enough to last 10 days if I stick with the 10mg daily I'm on now. I also have a pretty decent supply of hydrocodone still. I have about 70 now and will get 90 soon. So as you can see, I'm just scared to death and my emotions are all over the place. Oh yeah, I have a bit of marijuana if that helps any. I just can't believe I got myself into this place. Now I can't even properly grieve over the loss of my father due to worrying about this addiction. I feel pathetic. I know he never should have given it to me, but that's a moot point now, and I know he only did it to try to help me. Just a mistake on both of us I suppose. Someone please help me... I simply don't know what to do. I'm hoping there is some way I can taper the rest of my methadone and then switch back to the hydros. Then stabilize on them, then kick them. I feel I would much prefer detoxing from a short acting than methadone. Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.

Anyone have any advice? Sorry to keep posting but my anxiety is going up a bit more with each day that passes... And I also wanted to say... And I'm sorry if anyone wants to recommend this, but going to the methadone clinic is not an option. Don't get me wrong, I think it is great for lots of people. But I'm done with it, and I watched my dad spend the last 10 years of his life on it, and I also promised him that I would get off of it before he passed. Even though he was the one who started giving it to me, I know he had good intentions and didn't want to see me hurting. It upset him really badly once I was hooked on it. So again, I'm sorry if anyone thinks that's what I should do... But I just can't. Thanks again in advance and I'm looking forward to your responses.

The Husband is offline Member

Really sorry about your dad, I c/t off 120ish oxy daily when my dad died it can be done. I would try to taper with the hydro but that is gonna take massive self control. I have taper off Hydro with minimal to no symptoms as follows (never taking methadone)

10mg x times a day until your down to 20 mg daily (every 2 days drop)
    10mg 1x 5mg 1x
    5mg 2x
    5mg 1x 2.5 mg 1x
    2.5mg 2x
    1.75mg 2x
    1.75mg 1x

Obviously spread the doses out 12 hours once at 10mg 2x daily and beyond
    Last edited by Anonymous; 11-09-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks so much for your reply. That sounds like a good plan to try. Obviously I know there's no easy way out. I know it's still gonna be tough. Just trying to find a way to take the edge off and be as comfortable as possible. I may also gather the Thomas Recipe supplies here in a few days. It sure can't hurt. I know it's gonna take a lot of self control. I came clean to mom about everything last night, I'm 24 btw and still living at home as of now. She was very supportive and understanding thankfully. So I have someone willing to help me and hide the pills and give them as needed. I'm not sure if I would have the self control needed to do it myself or not. I think I might because I'm just so deathly sick of this lifestyle I could scream. But I also know the feeling of being in withdrawal and knowing that bottle of pills is right there and that taking a few will make me feel great within a matter of minutes. I will try to keep this updated and let everyone know how this goes. Congratulations on getting off the oxy. Dad was on those for years before going to the clinic for the methadone. Probably about your level. Maybe worse, I really don't know. At one point I saw Dad jump from 30mg of methadone totally cold turkey. Absolutely no help. He was so extremely sick I thought he may die then. But he made it through. But after that he got really bad off on pills again and had no choice but to go back. But if he could get off 30mg with no help whatsoever... Then surely I can get off 10mg with the help of this forum and the hydros. Thanks again for your help. Are you still clean?

The Husband is offline Member

Yeah still clean I have heard methadone w/d are the worst but switching to a shorter half life med like hydro will make the w/d much shorter I would think... The Thomas Recipe really does help I would get a bunch of coconut water to hydrate with and the potassium will help with RLS also get some ensure or boost as your aren't gonna want to eat. If you can get off the methadone and have minimal w/d on hydro stay at that dose for 4 days because of the methadone half life then you can do what I said to taper the hydro. Just be aware once you stop the hydro is within 3-4 days the real w/d will start just gotta survive till day 10-14 then the acute symptoms are gone and gotta deal with PAWS unless you get spared. How long were you on opiates? PAWS are like w/d but they come and go. Also I would show your Mom this thread and write done your GAME PLAN. best of luck

Congrats on staying clean. I'm happy for you. It must be a great feeling not needing anything just to get through the day. My problems began when I got my wisdom teeth cut out in December of 2010. I was prescribed hydros for that. Shortly after that, the abdomen pain began, which I don't believe I mentioned this, but it was diagnosed as a right side inguinal hernia. I've had surgery and still have some issues. But that's a story for another day. Before the surgery I was prescribed hydros for pain, and this turned into an 80-120mg habit, depending whether I had the 10/500s or the 10/325s. I have never exceeded the 4 gram daily APAP limit because I don't wanna mess with liver damage! I began methadone in January of 2012 I believe. At first it was only a dose on the weekends and pills through the week. But I know you know how these things work and before too long I was on it daily. For a while I still took the pills along with it, but finally stabilized on methadone only. I have only been on it daily for right about a year. I averaged 30mg daily, and as I said in my first post I've now tapered to 10mg over the last month or so and feeling basically fine. I didn't take any today and took hydros instead. I feel perfectly ok right now, but I'm aware of the long half life you mentioned so I know it's still in my blood. So that's probably why I'm still alright as of now. Thanks a bunch for your help. It's so helpful not only talking to others, but knowing you're not alone and that it CAN be done. If you or anyone else has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I will appreciate each and every response!

mmtsavedme is offline New Member

Bodo54, very sorry to hear about ur dad & that u have to worry about this!! I had been in a similar situation and it sux that our addiction is the #1 priority at all times..
    Start cutting ur dose 2mg daily. Save the other pills for later, when ur out of methadone for more than or at least 24hrs(that will b when it hits u hardest).
    That should enable a smoother taper & u will have our prescription which will help if u have tapered daily after u got to 0. Don't take them b4, it will be a waste and be much more helpful whenur out of done & really need.

If u need hhelp after that process, get signed up at the clinic. It will b much better for u and ur health problems than what ur currently prescribed anyway. Methadone is one of the moststudied memedications there is and other than withdrawals is very safe and non toxic.
    So its most likely better for u especially since withdrawal is something u regularly go thru when ur script runs out..so u already have that negative side effect.

Try tapering 2mg a day, maybe set up admit at the clinic right awayb4 u are completely out.
    Try not to worry to much about this, u have much more bigger thingsvto deal with. I understand tho addiction is always #1, even if we don't want it to be!
    Try my advice, & take it 1day at a time try not to worry about tomorrow just get thru today, u can do it

Best of luck
    I hope you get thru this trying time for u!

mmtsavedme is offline New Member

Bodo54,
    I wanted to apologize, I didnt see ur 2nd post about not wanting to take the mmt option.
    Also, if u can get off completely, that's obviously best, but if u can't Luke most of us mmt is the best option we have.
    U sd u & ur dad were upset that u had gotten "hooked" on the methadone, i don't know if you should look at it that way.
    Methadone blocks the pain receptors, which is what causes us to feel the pain & opiates also block buy also provide euphoric feelings. Methadone does not. It simply turns off the pain receptors for over 24hrs.
    I know there are so many mixed feelings involved w methadone & many many ppl frown upon but, its better for soooo many reasons than an addicts alternatives.
    I don't want to talk anone who doesnt need the help from a methadone maintenance therapy program to go but for me, its the best place i can be right now, it has helped my life improve in so many areas since i started 8months ago.
    I dont necessary like going or having to (for my addiction), but it keeps me & my life on track.
    Its better than the dope chase I had been in for 5yrs b4 I started.
    Its a much better & safer alternative.
    Another option could b talking to ur Dr about suboxxone, u would have to completely detox from the methadone 1st, but ur Dr can writeu an RX (script) & that will also help u stay off the opiates & out of the clinic since u promised ur dad <3..if u find that u need more help.
    :0)

I am on mmt, and am tapering off, I would agree about going down 2 to 3 mg every 4 days, then stopping. It doesnt sound like you were at a very high dose. I wouldnt use the tabs unless you have to. Try to find a doctor you trust and see if they can help prescribe some meds like clonadine and gabapentin to help. They might prescribe a benzo too, but I would only use that in extreme cases of anxiety. However I definitely disagree about methadone being nontoxic. It will ruin your teeth, my pharmacist says its a widely known fact but clinics refuse to tell you, and it can shut down your adrenal glands or suppress them causing all sorts of problems and weight gain. Good luck in your taper. You can do it

Thanks again everyone for the advice and sympathies. No apology needed, mmtsavedme! I totally agree that methadone is the best thing for many people. My dad was one of them. Obviously I would have preferred to see him stay clean for good. But that wasn't an option. Anytime he was off the methadone, he got so bad off on pills (huge oxycodone habit) he had to go back. So MMT really saved him as well.

I agree that methadone is relatively safe. As far as liver damage goes I know it is much better than pounding your liver daily with huge doses of acetaminophen. However I do agree with nursestudent about the teeth thing. My dad was on MMT for almost 10 years I believe, (most of the time at a dose around 125mg daily) and his teeth got so brittle that they just began breaking off. His dentist told him it was due to the methadone. Also, by the time I finally had surgery for the hernia, I was taking the methadone already. I told the anesthesiologist that I was on it because I was worried about some interaction between it and the anesthesia, and was also concerned that I would be in a great deal of pain when I woke up because the methadone was blocking the opiates they gave me. He told me that methadone can cause heart problems, but he said that is something that would happen WAYYY down the road. They gave me a different medicine that they use on opiate tolerant patients and all was ok. So obviously, I'm no medical professional, just passing on what I heard... But it came from reliable sources! I have been toying with the methadone dosage the past 2 days, trying to figure out just how low I can go before I start to feel like hell. So my past 2 doses have only been about 3-5mg. And the last dose I took was a full 36 hours after the first. But I've also taken 40mg hydro daily for both of those days as well. But hey, I feel like if I can get off the methadone and walk away with a 40mg daily hydrocodone habit, then kicking those should be a walk in the park compared to kicking the 'done. Well, not sure if I should go that far... lol... let's just say it will be a whole lot easier. Thanks again for your replies and your support. As you said mmtsavedme, it sucks, but whether we want it that way or not, addiction is always number 1! It comes before everything else. If I have my way it won't be like that much longer though. Thanks again and please keep the replies coming. If anything just having people to talk to will help to pass the time when I start to feel worse.